• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2015 [Up1: Xbox #1]

I don't think MS will win let alone dominate, if they wanted to try that again they would have done another price drop/price promotion which I think they avoided in part so that it wasn't plainly obvious every holiday that they were going to drop $50 and have people start to wait for that during the rest of the year.

No. Us PC gamers have very few issues purchasing software from other stores (say, halo 6 being windows store exclusive because by then the X1 will just be another windows 10 PC). But we aren't going to be *locked down* in a closed platform. That's the entire purpose of having an open platform at your disposal.

The family friendly market is no longer in the home console ecosystem for the most part, hence the danger to its long term future

That wasn't a statement of success probability or condonement, just that I notice the push being made.

damisa

Yeah, well, they didn't send us any huge shipments. We're not *under* supplied, but they didn't exactly stuff our shelves with the 'good stuff'...

While Sony sent us a fuck ton of the Uncharted bundles. They set that price for the weekend, so it's not meant to only last for the doors opening, so to speak.

Definitely high demand for both, they're both selling well - but there's the catch, it's the cheap bundles people want. We're seeing some people opt for other options in certain circumstances, but that feels like it is an afterthought. (The star wars bundles, for example, are still selling, but with nowhere near the velocity of the uncharted bundles despite comparative value).

Anyway. Break's over. I probably won't post again until lunch on my shift tomorrow, sorry guys. I'm gonna go home and pass right the hell out after this one at 4am, and then be back at noon tomorrow.

Sounds like things might back fire for Sony in December if they suddenly only have $350 systems available and everyone wants the $300 one

Boke1879

Sounds like things might back fire for Sony in December if they suddenly only have $350 systems available and everyone wants the $300 one

It'll backfire for everyone then. Consumers know this deal is only through the weekend. Of course Dec. Will see lower sales but people will still be doing Christmas shopping.

Fat4all

Banned
I took it from Abdiel's post that the uncharted bundle would go back to $350 after Black Friday weekend.

I'm pretty sure all bundles are gonna go back to their original prices after cyber monday (unless some retailers decided to do some stuff before Christmas).

damisa

That's kind of the point of Black Friday.

Last year neither PS4 or XB1 saw a price increase after Black Friday. When MS tried to raise the price in January it failed horribly. It will be interesting to see how consumers react to a price increase in December. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony extends the price promotion of the uncharted bundle.

Fat4all

Banned
Last year neither PS4 or XB1 saw a price increase after Black Friday. When MS tried to raise the price in January it failed horribly. It will be interesting to see how consumers react to a price increase in December. I wouldn't be surprised if Sony extends the price promotion of the uncharted bundle.

Last year Microsoft announced that the price would last through the end of the year as a promotion.

They haven't done the same this year.

Elios83

I took it from Abdiel's post that the uncharted bundle would go back to $350 after Black Friday weekend.

Same thing for Microsoft. 299$ promotion will officially end but retailers will make gift cards and other deals in collaboration with platform holders to keep demand high throughout December.

The Uncharted bundle will go back to $350, but they'll drop it to $300 as needed throughout December to maintain pace. Likely a few stores here and there, rather than a blanket promotion.

Edit: There were already times you could nab it for $300 before BF; they'll just continue in that fashion.

stryke

Well firstly, how can PS4 have a price increase when it was always $399. Second, XB1's pricecut last year was not solely a Black Friday promotion. They raised the price after two months, not a weekend.

XB1 $299 is a great price point to hit, but honestly being cheaper than PS4 feels like it only matters during the holiday season.

Being cheaper has barely helped XB1 sell more than PS4 during preseason.

I think MS realise that to an extent, thus them not being too aggressive in pricing, because it's not like it has allowed them to win, only lose less.

Elios83

Whoever wins November, it'll be a small lead. Not expecting anywhere close to the 400k gap from last year.

I think things will be pretty 'interesting' instead. Sony has definetly gained a lot of ground during the first three weeks of November. If Microsoft continues to lose during BF week and they get hit but an unfocused strategy because of too many bundles with games people don't care about (like emmm....Tomb Raider) effectively wasting stock, we might have a total reversal of last year's situation.
But it's too soon to tell, let's see the BF reports first.

Rocketz

Don't think its worth anything but I'm seeing way more posts for people buying XB1 tonight at work than PS4. Granted the XB1 is the better deal here but I find it interesting.

More people are actually talking about the Wii U or how they weren't able to get one than PS4.

Don't think its worth anything but I'm seeing way more posts for people buying XB1 tonight at work than PS4. Granted the XB1 is the better deal here but I find it interesting.

More people are actually talking about the Wii U or how they weren't able to get one than PS4.
Are you monitoring communications from a basement at the NSA or something? =/

Fat4all

Banned
Where is XB1 a better deal? I thought they were both $299 everywhere.

I've seen more $299 Xbox bundles that include extras, like gift cards, an extra free game, XBL Gold, etc. I think it's fair to say that there's been a lot more value on the Xbox One bundles when it comes to dollars alone.

PS4 had a few good ones, but nothing like the $299 + free $60 ms credit + free game I got for my sister.

Dell bundle was a big value, too.

RexNovis

Banned
Gift cards and some stores doing additional games at no cost. (Dell, MS Store)

I've seen more $299 Xbox bundles that include extras, like gift cards, an extra free game, XBL Gold, etc. I think it's fair to say that there's been a lot more value on the Xbox One bundles when it comes to dollars alone.

PS4 had a few good ones, but nothing like the $299 + free $60 ms credit + free game I got for my sister.

Dell bundle was a big value, too.

So we are talking strictly about value adds not sticker price though right? I'd figure sticker price would be the main sticking point
(hehe)
for the ultra price conscious Black Friday crowd.

Fat4all

Banned
So we are talking strictly about value adds not sticker price though right? I'd figure sticker price would be the main sticking point for the ultra price conscious Black Friday crowd.

Sticker price is big, as is brand, but after that looking at added value bundles is high up there.

Kid wants console, both are $299, parent goes with either kids choice, brand, or best value overall.

Sticker price is big, as is brand, but after that looking at added value bundles is high up there.

Kid wants console, both are $299, parent goes with either kids choice, brand, or best value overall.

In theory, larger social media buzz would come from more tech savvy folks who are on top of all the extra deals anyway.

Sticker price is a stronger influencer for those who don't do deeper research into individual deals.

Rocketz

So we are talking strictly about value adds not sticker price though right? I'd figure sticker price would be the main sticking point
(hehe)
for the ultra price conscious Black Friday crowd.

Both are $299 here but the XB1 comes with a decent giftcard.

Fat4all

Banned
In theory, larger social media buzz would come from more tech savvy folks who are on top of all the extra deals anyway.

Sticker price is a stronger influencer for those who don't do deeper research into individual deals.

I'm saying that when the sticker price is the same for both consoles that's when people are willing to look deeper for something to get a better value over the other.

Went to Walmart to get a few games but they had the games and consoles in different parts of the stores, so I'm not sure how they were selling outside of seeing one PS4 and one Xbox One in different peoples carts. They mentioned on the intercom that Xbox Ones were still in stock (before 6:00pm when the sale started) though so I'm not sure if that means it's selling great or poorly.

Top Bottom