• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2007

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
titiklabingapat said:
Still though, he was insisting that NPD is not good enough when even the companies themselves consider it pretty much official.
Some game companies also use excerpts from Maxim reviews in their advertisements, just saying. ;)

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
I would love to see more core games to buy on the wii, but the developers aren't making nearly enough of them.

The only upcoming FPS is Medal of Honor : Heroes 2 which may control well and FINALLY has online, but may or may not be a PSP port graphically. Red Steel 2 is still a no-show.

Not 1 western RPG has been released on the Wii AFAIK, and I haven't heard of any being announced.
No RTS games have been released on the Wii.
All of the big Jrpg's have been announced for PS3 and/or 360.
The only turn-based strategy game is Civilization : Revolutions, which will release about 6 months after the PS3/360/DS versions.
The action/adventure games are the upcoming port of Rygar (ps2 port with a new character model, yay), and the spin-off Soul Calibur Legends.

Call of Duty 3 sold fine on Wii, but COD4 is 360/PS3/PC only. There's never been a Rainbow Six or Ghost Recon game for Wii. Microsoft owns Halo while Sony has Killzone and Socom.

Tecmo isn't gonna put Ninja Gaidan on Wii this generation, and Sony has God of War and now (good-but-too-short) Heavenly Sword to rely on.

Monster Hunter 3 was a suprise, but I wonder if we'll even see it outside of Japan. Tales of Symphonia : Knights of Ratatoskr is both a spin-off and a sequel, while the new big Tales game is on the DS. I'm happy about the new Wii vanillaware game, but it's not a big seller either.

Would someone please tell me how the wii is going to attract to the hardcore when all it can get from 3rd party core-game developers is table scraps?

We know that PSP was the lead platform of Medal of Honor 2, at the very least.(it was announced earlier, right? but Itagaki hinted on a possible Ninja Gaiden on the Wii since his kids are asking for it:lol

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
titiklabingapat said:
We know that PSP was the lead platform of Medal of Honor 2, at the very least.(it was announced earlier, right? but Itagaki hinted on a possible Ninja Gaiden on the Wii since his kids are asking for it:lol
DS port?

Nolan.

titiklabingapat said:

Someone should befriend one of Itagak's kids and insinuate how great it would be to put NG2 on wii or ps3 they seem to have more clout than any big exec... if only itagaki worked at square.

Fuzzy said:
I meant the Wii version is a port of the DS game. :lol
I knew what you point. I was just pointing out the similarities on more than one occasion(including the possibility that it will indeed be NGS Wii, ported from the DS).

AniHawk

vanguardian1 said:
I would love to see more core games to buy on the wii, but the developers aren't making nearly enough of them.

It's truly bizarro land when Sega is perhaps the biggest supporter in decent quality or good games. Capcom and Sega have probably the best track record for the thing so far, though it's not saying much.

I don't think Western developers will ever give the DS or Wii a fair shake. Most western developers are pretty much one note anyhow (sometimes you get the more brilliant guys like Will Wright, Michel Ancel, David Jaffe, and Tim Schafer).

What's interesting for the DS is that western support is just as simple as LucasArts porting over their old SCUMM games. Yet they don't do it.

Bioware is supposedly making stuff for it though, which is perplexing. Aside from the major mindfuck that is Sonic RPG, there was supposedly a Baldur's Gate or Dragon Age game coming to it, wasn't there?

Busty

Banned
Do we have any idea how LAIR did this month? I know that it achieved 50k or so in the first week or so last month, was curious if anyone has hinted at this month's numbers.

Verve

Busty said:
Do we have any idea how LAIR did this month? I know that it achieved 50k or so in the first week or so last month, was curious if anyone has hinted at this month's numbers.

IIRC i read in this thread that it sold around 58k

It's a little saddening the effort 3rd parties are putting into the Wii, but there are bright light, even if they don't match the glare of the omnipresent 3rd party MGS4 and FFXIII. Z&W looks to be a treat, Trauma Center is making a case for the Wii. I'm sure there are others I'm leaving out.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Agent Icebeezy said:
Why is the industry happy that only Nintendo is making money on the Wii? 3rd party isn't selling and outside of a few games, I don't think Nintendo really gives a shit. I know that there really isn't much to recoup in comparison to the PS3/360, but no one, probably not even Nintendo tell me who is buying the wii. Who can a 3rd party focus their next game on? It's why we have this thing going on with like the same game in a different skin going on.

\.

This is a broken record, but provide real evidence for your claims of "3rd party isn't selling".

As far as I know, the one SIGNIFICANT disappointment for 3rd parties on Wii is probably Madden. What other examples are there?

Do you think Take Two is pissed that Carnival Games sold over a 100K?

I'll ask this question to everone making the assertion that 3rd party doesn't sell on Wii: What 3rd party games that deserved to sell well have not on the Wii?

It's an incredibly simple question that not one person has seriously answered.

AniHawk

schuelma said:
This is a broken record, but provide real evidence for your claims of "3rd party isn't selling".

As far as I know, the one SIGNIFICANT disappointment for 3rd parties on Wii is probably Madden. What other examples are there?

Do you think Take Two is pissed that Carnival Games sold over a 100K?

I'll ask this question to everone making the assertion that 3rd party doesn't sell on Wii: What 3rd party games that deserved to sell well have not on the Wii?

It's an incredibly simple question that not one person has seriously answered.

MLB Power Pros.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
MLB Power Pros.

You recommend it?

I'm trying my hardest to hold out and save my money, but I really think I need to pick it up.

AniHawk

schuelma said:
You recommend it?

I'm trying my hardest to hold out and save my money, but I really think I need to pick it up.

If you like baseball games, yeah. This is prolly the only baseball game of the generation I pick up. I just wish the computer didn't hate the Angels so much once I got a season started.

schuelma

AniHawk said:
If you like baseball games, yeah. This is prolly the only baseball game of the generation I pick up. I just wish the computer didn't hate the Angels so much once I got a season started.

Thanks.

Yeah, think I might have to pick it up. I'm a sucker for baseball games.

Jokeropia

speculawyer said:
And the Wii is clearly the runaway success story . . . but if you look closely, it just doesn't move nearly as much software as it does hardware (Wii consoles & Wii Play/controller bundles).
Actually if you look closely at the data instead of your imagination, you'll notice that it moves loads of software.

It bothers me that "Wii doesn't sell software" has become some sort of established fact when in reality it's complete and utter BS.
gollumsluvslave said:
No big bump for 360 cos all the Halo fans have already got one!
Approximately 95% of Halo 3 buyers already own the system or would've bought it this month regardless.
Maxwell House said:
Golf games lend themselves very well to waggle.
Exactly my point. Certain sports are great fits for the Wiimote (see Wii Sports) and the market for such games clearly exist.

Banned
schuelma said:
You recommend it?

Yes, buy that shit. Buy it today.

ANd MLB PowerPros probably will be a bomb, sadly.

schuelma

Yes, buy that shit. Buy it today.

ANd MLB PowerPros probably will be a bomb, sadly.

Just ordered it from Amazon.

40 bucks....not bad.

I don't really think about whether it's a game that 'deserves' to sell, since games that 'deserve' big numbers by our estimation have tanked on every system in the history of videogaming.

I personally believe a more appropriate question would be 'Would the same game have done significantly better on another system?', and then we go from there.

Frillen

legend166 said:
So guys, which "casual" game do you think all the Wii haters will jump onto this week to try and prove that gaming is dead? In August it was Boogie and that bombed. For September it was supposed to be Carnival Game because Speculawyer was all "OMG IS GAMING DEAD CARNIVAL GAMES ON TOP OF AMAZON FOR 3 WEEKS OH NO WHAT WILL WE DO?!" Then that bombed too.

Carnival Games sold over 100k. How much did you really expect it to sell?

AdventureRacing said:
What i don't get is why this month is any more telling than a regular month. I would of thought getting beaten by 300K a month in your best region was pretty telling, but now that the 360 actually posts decent numbers thats the telling fact?

No doubt that the fact that 360 requires halo 3 to be wii is pretty telling but no more than what we have been seeing the rest of the year.
What the rest of the year told was that Wii was big. What this month showed was that another system being big didn't come at Wii's expense. Though that would mean a lot more if it weren't supply constrained.
titiklabinapat said:
Still though, he was insisting that NPD is not good enough when even the companies themselves consider it pretty much official.
Sold != shipped, even for Wii. He wants shipping information so he can see how sold-out it truly is, so just pointing to sales data and saying "It's sold out, so that's what it shipped." is circular reasoning.

ccbfan

As long as people continue to be happy with GCN like 3rd party software sales for the wii while expect PS2 like 3rd party support, they're going to be mad at third parties.

Remember this is not Japan, we already have a PS2 3rd party software sales system. (Some can argue in Japan we have one too in the DS). Until Wii can show it can challenge the 360, its not going to get the king share of third party support. And yes games like Madden, GH3, NCAA, NBA, Tony Hawk matter a lot just like DBZ, Gundam, Dynasty Warriors matter in Japan. It instills the whole "core video game system" title. WE might hate the Madden crowd (Well I don't since I own like 2 madden games per generation) but they do run the industry.

Right now it looks like

DS = Japan 3rd party king
360 = NA 3rd party king
Eur = For some reason third party ignore them even though they're the 2nd largest market. Probably because its not homogenious like the NA and Japanese market. You got places like that sell nothing but Playstation and PC games while you have places where the 360 is strong then you have places where the Wii is dominate.

vanguardian1 said:
Would someone please tell me how the wii is going to attract to the hardcore when all it can get from 3rd party core-game developers is table scraps?
Wii60! Forget about trying to cram CoD4, GRAW, or Rainbow 6 on the Wii. Just make good Nintendo IP games (Smash Bros., Zelda, Mario, etc.)

Jokeropia

ccbfan said:
As long as people continue to be happy with GCN like 3rd party software sales for the wii while expect PS2 like 3rd party support, they're going to be mad at third parties.
Chicken and egg. You can't expect PS2 like third party sales without PS2 like third party support. The few good third party attempts of capturing the Wii gamer market so far have been quite successful. I expect Guitar Hero 3 to do well this month too.

legend166 said:
So guys, which "casual" game do you think all the Wii haters will jump onto this week to try and prove that gaming is dead? In August it was Boogie and that bombed. For September it was supposed to be Carnival Game because Speculawyer was all "OMG IS GAMING DEAD CARNIVAL GAMES ON TOP OF AMAZON FOR 3 WEEKS OH NO WHAT WILL WE DO?!" Then that bombed too.
Huh?

No, it did not bomb. The low-budget shovelware sold 110K copies. It was the #1 3rd-party game for the Wii. It was a success.

Edit: And it continues to sell well.

The Wii is largely a casual & Nintendo IP machine. Just look at pathetic sales of Madden. But there is nothing wrong with it being a casual & Nintendo IP machine. That is why I have one.

Jokeropia

speculawyer said:
The Wii is largely a casual & Nintendo IP machine. Just look at pathetic sales of Madden.
Madden is as casual as it gets. (Madden Wii sold as much as Madden PS3 this month btw despite losing to it badly last month. Better legs are likely.)

Jokeropia said:
Madden is as casual as it gets.
It is mass gaming . . . but not 'casual gaming' as I use the term. Casual gaming is more like Wii Sports, Wii Play, Bejeweled, Solotaire, etc.. . . simple games that are easy for anyone to pick & up play.

Jokeropia

What about RE4: Wii and Red Steel? There haven't been that many good core third party games for Wii yet but the ones we've gotten so far have been quite successful. More are on the way, too. (No More Heroes, Umbrella Chronicles, King's Story, VanillaWare game, Fatal Frame 4, FF:CC x2, Shiren, Nights, Kiki Kai World...)

titiklabingapat said:
Because Iwata never said he'd forsake the traditional gaming crowd.

What you say and what you do are two different things, but even so, even with 1st party hardcore Nintendo titles, the Wii will never replicate the 360 experience without third party support, just as the 360 will never replicate the Wii experience without 1st party Nintendo games.

So basically I don't see them competing for the same crowd.

ccbfan

Jokeropia said:
Madden is as casual as it gets. (Madden Wii sold as much as Madden PS3 this month btw despite losing to it badly last month. Better legs are likely.)

See again with the low expectations.

PS3? You mean the system that's been practically dead this whole year and is now begging third parties not to abandon them. To make matters worse you're bragging about a game where in the first month the PS3 killed the Wii version.

Honestly if this was suppose to prove your point then Wii's situation is much worse than I thought.

Also for some reason the Madden game crowd's been upgraded since the advent of the Wii/DS.

Before the Madden crowd was the most casual of the console gaming group. Wii on the other hand bought in an even more casual crowd (crowd normally alligned with sodoku/freecell/poker gamers) and the term "casual" has been downgraded to them. There's no real definition for the current madden crowd but I like to call them the "core gamer crowd" since they are the core gaming community, much to the annoyance of the hardcore crowd.

Jokeropia

ccbfan said:
See again with the low expectations.

PS3? You mean the system that's been practically dead this whole year and is now begging third parties not to abandon them. To make matters worse you're bragging about a game where in the first month the PS3 killed the Wii version.

Honestly if this was suppose to prove your point then Wii's situation is much worse than I thought.

Also for some reason the Madden game crowd's been upgraded since the advent of the Wii/DS.
Wow, talk about completely missing the point. Madden is an exception in that it's a game that did relatively well on PS3 and relatively poorly on Wii. I wasn't even the one that brought it up, I just mentioned that even such a game has comparatively good legs on Wii.

JoshuaJSlone said:
Probably not. As is, X360:pS3 LTD is 4:1. Any months between now and then where X360 isn't quadrupling PS3's sales means PS3 is gaining percentage share in the PS360 market.

EDIT: So just to toss out an example, as things are it's 80% X360 and 20% PS3. If by the time GTA IV comes out X360 has sold another 4 million to PS3's 2 million, the makeup will then be 75% X360 and 25% PS3.
Sure, PS3 could get a bigger percentage of GTA IV sales relative to 360 sales because of this delay (because of the very nature of marketshare %s), but 360 will have a bigger gap in absolute number of units sold over the PS3 version as well, which, IMO, is way more important.

If this delay means 360 sells 3 million copies of GTA IV instead of 2 million while PS3 sells 1 million instead of 600 thousand, then Sony's % share of GTA IV sales goes up from 23% to 33.3%, which sounds much better for press releases. OTOH, 360 number of units sold gap over PS3 goes up from 400 thousand to 1 million, adding 600,000 to the difference, which is what publishers care about (and not PR speak).

Edit: Whoops, I didn't read your edit. Your edit basically says the same thing as my post. :lol

ccbfan

Jokeropia said:
Wow, talk about completely missing the point. Madden is an exception in that it's a game that did relatively well on PS3 and relatively poorly on Wii. I wasn't even the one that brought it up, I just mentioned that even such a game has comparatively good legs on Wii.

What point were you trying to make? That Wii's Madden have longer legs than PS3's Madden?. Is Ps3 Madden's legs suppose to be impressive or something.

Just curious do you brag that you run faster than a crippled person.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
thinking about it, its pretty astonishing that 360 with a price drop + halo 3 only got the 360 27k more than the wii this month. and that's with the 360 having a healthy supply everywhere.

vanguardian1

poor, homeless and tasteless
From all of the things I've heard about it, I'm suprised the Wii version of Madden 08 is selling at all, it sounds like something that should still be in beta testing, bigtime.

ccbfan

davepoobond said:
thinking about it, its pretty astonishing that 360 with a price drop + halo 3 only got the 360 27k more than the wii this month. and that's with the 360 having a healthy supply everywhere.

Wii at this point has ascended the current Video game market in NA.

Whether its a fad or not depends on whether it can assimilate its additional users into its original market.

Just like how the PS bought in a brand new type of users hence exploding the market, the Wii can so the same thing.

If the Wii is successful in doing that we could see 150-200 million selling consoles.

davepoobond said:

Wii is still tracking above any console in history, is it not? Even with a price drop 360 still sells on average for $100 more than Wii. I don't think outselling the best-selling console in history at a price premium is anything to sneeze at.

Xeke

Banned
Ideally I would like all the madden versions to sell terribly so the NFL takes away their exclusive license. I want competition so we can get out of this cycle of paying $50/$60 for roster updates.

Top Bottom