• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Data care of NPD Group
Reporting Period: 8/30/09 through 10/03/09

PlayStation 2 146.0K
PlayStation 3 491.8K
PSP 190.4K
Xbox 360 352.6K
Wii 462.8K
Nintendo DS 524.2K

HALO 3: ODST (360; Sep-09) 1.52M
WII SPORTS RESORT W/ WII MOTION PLUS (WII; Jul-09) 442.9K
MADDEN NFL 10 (360; Aug-09) 289.6K
MARIO & LUIGI:BOWSER'S INSIDE STORY (NDS; Sep-09) 258.1K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (360; Sep-09) 254.0K
MADDEN NFL 10 (PS3; Aug-09) 246.5K
MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 (360; Sep-09) 236.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* (PS3; Aug-09) 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* (360; Sep-09) 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* (WII; Sep-09) 208.6K

(*includes CE, GOTY editions, bundles, etc. but not those bundled with hardware)

---------------------

Analysis from NPD's Anita Frazier:

Anita Frazier said:
The industry managed a modest increase over September 2008, and generated the second bestselling September on record after 2007 when Halo 3 released and sold over 3 million copies that month.

On a unit sales basis, the industry was flat. The increase in revenues is driven by a rise in average retail prices in all categories with the exception of console hardware in which the average retail price decreased 8% from last September.

Across all categories, the Xbox 360 platform contributed the most to industry unit and dollar sales as sales of 360 hardware, software and accessories comprised 32% of the month's revenues.

All three console manufacturers enjoyed the impact of lower prices on unit sales as the PS3, Wii, and Xbox 360 realized an increase over August of 87%, 33%, and 31% respectively, on an average sales per week basis (keeping in mind September was a 5-week month compared to 4-weeks in August).

Compared to last September, the PS3 was the big winner, more than doubling last year's sales. This portrays a very strong consumer reaction to the price decrease as August and September both realized a lift of more than 70% over the prior month. This is the first month that the PS3 has captured the top spot in console hardware sales.

The best-selling platform overall remained the Nintendo DS which has topped hardware sales for 6 consecutive months.

Halo 3 certainly impacted the industry two years ago (Sep'07) when it was launched, and this year, Halo 3: ODST realized impressive sales making it the 6th best-selling SKU launch of all time. Five of the top 10 software items for the month were on the Xbox 360 platform.

We know all eyes are going to be on the Rock Band and Guitar Hero sales since the music/dance genre has been so closely followed by many this year. Both titles captured a spot in the top 10 for the month and at the item level, across all platforms, The Beatles: Rock Band came in third behind Halo 3: ODST and Madden NFL 10 while Guitar Hero 5 came in fourth. The Beatles: Rock Band achieved this level of success with an average retail price premium of 130% to the average retail price for software overall. The sales of Rock Band and Guitar Hero led the music/dance genre to a 72% dollar sales increase over September 2008.

Madden NFL 10 made up some ground this month. Although when launched in August the game sold 19% fewer units than its predecessor a year prior, with a second month of sales in, that deficit has been reduced to 13%, which bodes very well for the title through the holiday season.

The Wii Motion Plus captured the top spot for accessory sales this month, while Wii Remote Controller was the second best-selling item in terms of units, but generated the most dollar sales in the accessories category. Accessories for the 360 platform accounted for five of the top-10 accessory items for the month.

mj1108

Sony must be happy.... Although I thought the PS3 would have been higher. It says a lot though that they just barely outsell the Wii with a price drop.

Kudos to Sony - that's a good result for what was essentially a relaunch of the system. It'll be interesting to see where it goes next month, but I think this may be a one-off (in terms of taking the home console lead - the battle between the 360 and PS3 will continue).

donny2112

EviLore said:
PlayStation 3 491.8K
Wii 462.8K

Much higher than we thought.

EviLore said:
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* 360 MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 254.0K
BATMAN:ARKHAM ASYLUM* PS3 SQUARE ENIX INC (CORP) Aug-09 212.5K
GUITAR HERO 5* 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 210.8K
THE BEATLES:ROCK BAND* WII MTV GAMES/ELECTRONIC ARTS Sep-09 208.6K

No Wii GH5. Beatles did do better than GH5 overall. No 360 Batman? Very surprising results this month, in my opinion.

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Holy shit, people need to stop refreshing every second like idiots.

Anyways, results as expected, go PS3!

Sony squeaked out their victory for the month...unless you count the DS.

Worth noting: PS3 + 360 Year-to-date sales just surpassed Wii YTD sales: 4.335m vs 4.017m.

schuelma

Wastes hours checking old Famitsu software data, but that's why we love him.
Higher than I expected for both PS3 and Wii.

Not too shabby for 360 now that you mention it.

EviLore said:
Data care of NPD Group

PlayStation 2 146.0K
PlayStation 3 491.8K
PSP 190.4K
Xbox 360 352.6K
Wii 462.8K
Nintendo DS 524.2K

npdmask.gif

DMeisterJ

Banned
mj1108 said:
Sony must be happy.... Although I thought the PS3 would have been higher. It says a lot though that they just barely outsell the Wii with a price drop.

But it says nothing that they almost sold as good as the NDS? I mean really, let's keep ourselves rooted in reality. Close to 500k is nothing to scoff at. And no one expected that high.

LCfiner

Finally, I get a reply window to load :lol

Beatles beats Guitar Hero! Fuck yes! well deserved. that’s what I wanted to see. F U Activision, shitting out uninspired sequels with rambling track lists.

Didn’t The Great Dave have a bet about this going on?

PS3 Slim squeaks by the Wii. I’m surprised it’s not higher, to be honest. still very good and deserving numbers for the Slim.

The DS is, of course, insurmountable.

Oh, and fully half of the top 10 software are for the 360. so you can expect their PR to crow about that.

And I bet net months PSP numbers are going to surpass people. they will be pretty high.

AnIco

It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

good sales all around really. PS3 did great beating Nintendo, 350k for 360 is good too.

Software sales are unsurprising with 360 still beating PS3.

Evlar

Banned
Well, there it is: PS3 > Wii > 360

I think it would have been very easy to find support on GAF for the statement "PS3 will never outsell Wii and 360 in the same month" less than three months ago. However, in the past month or so the consensus crystallized that this would be the outcome of a month that saw two pricedrops and a cornerstone title released on the third console. It's final justification, I think, for the correct theory on why the PS3 has struggled: it was always the price.

Kudos to Sony, they've muddled through to this point, and perhaps they can hold fast to marketshare and make more sensible decisions in the next gen.

The PS3 has finally broken the streak! The PS3 has been outsold by the Xbox 360 and the Wii for the past 13 months straight.

Sony is losing $108 per console. At 491,800 consoles that's a loss of $53,114,400!

So for a lead of 29k over their closest rival Sony lost $53 Million Dollars. And that's in the American market alone.

Sony losing $100 on every PS3 Slim sold

Will PS3 sustain these sales? Maybe. The release of the 250GB PS3 will help (Early adopters am cry).

Will PS3 sustain these sales? No? The PS3 Slim dropped over 2/3rd in only its second week on sale in Japan.

Price cut = Small Increase, New Hardware + Price Cut = Larger Increase

Only one PS3 game in the top 10.

Great numbers for PS3 (with the slim boost). The PSP Go... yeah not so much? Did Joker addition really give Batman PS3 that extra boost? Very happy to see Guitar Hero 5 barely chart; for all the money MTV spent on Beatles, those numbers aren't very good.b Halo ODST numbers are solid but the tail on that game is going to be super short. I'd be shocked if it charts Top 5 next month. Finally, F-YEAH at Mario & Luigi BIS. Good to see.

daebo

Good #'s all around considering. People are eating up the hardware.

I'll be adding myself to the october ps3 #s. Hopefully, it keeps it up.

Also, on a side note... wasn't there somebody bitching about M: UA2 selling like crap and that both the PS3 and 360 version combined wouldn't hit 250k and he would eat his hat?

MARVEL:ULTIMATE ALLIANCE 2 360 ACTIVISION BLIZZARD (CORP) Sep-09 236.0K

That's just 360 alone. I think this game will have legs for another month and probably will hit the million plus.

Kard8p3

I figured Kingdom Hearts coming out so late in the month would keep it from charting. I'd still like to know how well it sold in the short time it was out in september though.

Wow, Wii was actually higher than I expected.

Lower than I expected for ODST too. If Halo 3 did 3.3, then I expected ODST to do at least 2 mill if not more.

Flakster99

PlayStation 3 491.8K
Wii 462.8K

PS3 wins by 29k with the launch of the Slim and few days price cut for Wii.
Great numbers for PS3 but the Wii is gonna have an absolute MONSTER October...

AnIco said:
It's over for Microsoft, period. Microsoft lost their last ace, and that's the end of the 360's hopes and dreams.

It's not hyperbole, it's not fanboy drivel. It is LITERALLY it for 360. Microsoft has nothing left, nothing they can reveal tomorrow would fix the hole now created. There is no reason left for any one, hardcore or casual, to substantively invest in a 360. Except if they want to play Bungie's titles. Which will also come to the PS3 anyway once their Halo contract is up at some point.

The age of Microsoft in the US is done.

3/10, you have to be more convincing

rexor0717

Well, I'm glad there wont be a GAF meltdown today. :D Next month will be very telling too, I really want to see how well Uncharted 2 will do as well as how it will affect sales.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DevelopmentArrested said:
Great numbers for PS3 (with the slim boost). The PSP Go... yeah not so much? Did Joker addition really give Batman PS3 that extra boost? Very happy to see Guitar Hero 5 barely chart; for all the money MTV spent on Beatles, those numbers aren't very good.b Halo ODST numbers are solid but the tail on that game is going to be super short. I'd be shocked if it charts Top 5 next month. Finally, F-YEAH at Mario & Luigi BIS. Good to see.
PSP Go wasn't out in September.

Top Bottom