• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2013 [Up2: Console positioning, 360 estimate]

C4Lukins

It mega bombed everywhere in the world and we've seen niche games on systems with far bigger user bases miss even doing 10k.

I know. I just looked up the amount of individual towns or cities in the US, and it was somewhere around 30,000. It sort of blew my mind so I thought I would have some fun with the idea.

No doubt I'm talking mostly about spin offs here of course a proper console mainline would do better likely a lot better was just saying that the series shouldn't be on handhelds sales potential wise because it sold better on consoles with an install base160 million (no idea about how much in America alone) in comparison to a handheld with an install base of aound 20 million at the time kind of isn't fair.

The PS3 userbase in the USA is only slightly above the US PSP userbase isn't it? And far below the sales of GBA or DS.

C4Lukins

Does this mean the PS3 hasn't outsold the Xbox 360 in NA in over 3yrs prior to today?

Yeah which is why I find the combo breaker funny. It just screws up MS PR. "97.5% over the last so many months we were the number one console!" Just does not have the same ring to it.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
The PS3 userbase in the USA is only slightly above the US PSP userbase isn't it? And far below the sales of GBA or DS.

No idea to be honest, was talking mostly about the 3DS version. since that was the most recent and similar comparison. Suppose those could work but don't know about those numbers.

Biker19

Banned
PS3 outsold 360 since MS is using the YTD instead of the usual "____ months at best selling US console."

People in the U.S. must finally be waking up to see that the PS3 is delivering more exclusives & more games than the 360 since 2010. Europe & everywhere else has woken up a long time ago.

Solid debut for Rune Factory 4?

Just a couple days and no advertisement at all, even reviews are hard to find, lmfao.

Between Pokemon, Ace Attorney and Rune Factory, I'm in gaming heaven. Who else but 3DSus?

Here are the sales that Neverland experiences in Japan:

Rune Factory (NDS) - 39,973 first week
Rune Factory 2 (NDS) - 56,082 first week
Rune Factory 3 (NDS) - 44,894 first week
Rune Factory Frontier (Wii) - 18,240 first week
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (PS3) - 26,979 first week
Rune Factory: Tides of Destiny (Wii) - 10,040 first week
Rune Factory 4 (3DS) - 88,700 first week

So Rune Factory 4's 17,000 first week overseas... in comparison to other localizations it's probably on-par, but it's a sharp contrast to Rune Factory 4's great domestic success.

donny2112

3DS Brain age LTD < 101

Game is awesome and digital is the way to go. The complete and total lack of non-Homepass Streetpass tags for the game pretty much convinced me of its total bombing in the U.S., but wouldn't be surprised if this game has the highest digital % for a retail release on 3DS. If it sold 15K retail, then 7.5K digital would be 50% of the retail numbers. :lol

So for Wind Waker...
We know:
-123K = combined for Hardware Bundle with Digital
- And retail for 2 days

We don't know:
- Digital through eshop?
- And obviously retail since then

hmm

I gave Wind Waker numbers earlier in the thread but I guess people didn't see them.

As of the 26th of September, they were 66k on eShop (not counting codes bundled with the Wii U but direct purchases).

donny2112

All the casual stuff that lifted the DS to stardom in the US has fallen off a cliff (and onto mobile) on 3DS.

System has been priced too high, and as you said, there are other completely viable options out there that weren't available when DS was hitting up that crowd. Animal Crossing may be an exception to that, though.

As of the 26th of September, they were 66k on eShop (not counting codes bundled with the Wii U but direct purchases).

So 190K first month combining every avenue of its availability for September's NPD period.

AniHawk

if you were to combine all rayman origins sales, you would get a fairly okay number (in the 200k-300k range). legends might get there, but i wonder just what in the hell ubisoft's plan was. it's like they studied how ea botched nba jam and decided to repeat the same thing except with a half-year delay for extra zest. it should have been a ps3/360/wii u/vita game from the start. they could have planned a better launch for it during a time when they weren't going to be going up against one of the biggest games of the year. it wouldn't have done amazing, but it certainly couldn't have done worse.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
You can't blame Nintendo. W101 is still in a prominent place in eShop, and has been every since the demo landed.

Anecdotally, I know of a couple of people who had the same experience as me. WiiU owners. Hyped for the game. Played demo. Hated it.

Either the demo did an incredibly poor job at explaining the game - I spent my entire time thinking WTF is going on and seemingly doing well by button mashing - or the game is a turd.

You draw shapes with the touchscreen or right stick to morph into different weapon and attack enemies. Touchscreen shows the shapes you can draw. Still, the demo really should have been the intro of the game.

20k may be a huge flop but its honestly more than I was expecting it to do, especially after the 5k opener in Japan.

UNCMark

Banned
3DS Brain age LTD < 101

Good. Hopefully it sends a message to Nintendo that you don't price casual games so stupidly high.

Fuck, Nintendo's Touch series fell off faster than anything else I can remember.

Of course it did. Nintendo looked at the tablet/phone competition, shrugged, raised the prices of their casual games, and then did nothing to promote them. It's almost as if they want their games to die.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
if you were to combine all rayman origins sales, you would get a fairly okay number (in the 200k-300k range). legends might get there, but i wonder just what in the hell ubisoft's plan was. it's like they studied how ea botched nba jam and decided to repeat the same thing except with a half-year delay for extra zest. it should have been a ps3/360/wii u/vita game from the start. they could have planned a better launch for it during a time when they weren't going to be going up against one of the biggest games of the year. it wouldn't have done amazing, but it certainly couldn't have done worse.

Origins came out the week after Modern Warfare 3. Ubisoft loves sending Rayman to die.

C4Lukins

No it is way above the "current" userbase of said handhelds that are competing in a different market, and one of their own competitors appears to be the PSP. Let's get really stupid about it. More people have played snake, on a Nokia phone, then will ever play A single PS3 title. Plus solitaire and minesweeper, put all Sony games to shame. We are looking at 100s of millions, maybe billions when it comes to people who have gamed on those two windows games. Let us bring smartphones and tablets into the mix. The PS3 has not sold nearly as well as the IPhone, and more people are playing Candy Crush then Killzone right now!!

Good. Hopefully it sends a message to Nintendo that you don't price casual games so stupidly high.

Of course it did. Nintendo looked at the tablet/phone competition, shrugged, raised the prices of their casual games, and then did nothing to promote them. It's almost as if they want their games to die.

Wasn't it 19.99?

Top Bottom