• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2013 [Up2: Console positioning, 360 estimate]

Truly pathetic numbers for W101. Have WiiU owners already given up on their system?

I wonder how Platinum games feels about working with wii-u.

How bad does Vita need to sell for Sony to discontinue it?

It can sell as bad as it wants and Sony will still sell it and retailers have no choice but to continue to give it shelf-space regardless of performance.

Abysmal sales by every stretch of the word, and an overall net loss for the company. I know Bayonetta 2 is already well into production, but I worry about Nintendo getting cold feet and abruptly canceling the project and terminating the relationship.

That scenario would be at least a 100 page thread around these parts. Gifs and everything.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't understand why they made rayman legends. origins hyperbombed and i got it for 19.99 like 2 days after launch. BUBUBUB shipped a billion bububub shut up.

Because it made a bit of money. Rayman is more popular in Europe particularly France. It's raw numbers are higher than you'd think WW with lower price point sales.

Legends cost a bit more so we shall zee

These are the angles I've measured, but not sure what to use as a base?

360 = 169K maybe. EDIT: 360 at 169K puts Wii U too low.
Or Wii U 93K?

Wii =28.61
360 = 120.811
PS3 = 146.31
Wii U = 64.269

Edit: 95K it is.

Using Wii U 95 K gives:
Code:
Wii	42K
360	179K
PS3	216K
Wii U	95K
To closest thousand.

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
I love these threads. It's like playing a puzzle game. NPD Sales goty

D

Deleted member 125677

Unconfirmed Member
So if the pie is interpreted correctly that means 3DS > 216k ? That's pretty impressive considering nothing big released on it last month (iirc?)

kswiston

Assuming that PS3 is black, 360 green, and Wii U blue (at around 90-95k) on that chart, I bombed my console predictions in spectacular fashion this month. GTA V sells consoles afterall!

I'm honestly a little surprised Sony haven't released a PR piece with numbers. Thought for sure they would have done so by now.

Maybe it's still too early?

AniHawk

This November when next-gen console launch? WiiU did 465k(I think) on its launch month. How did other consoles do in their launch month in US?

ps4 may do it, come to think of it. we'll see what a $129.99 2ds (and probably even cheaper than that) and pokemon does during black friday though.

gba - 540k
ps2 - 391k
xbox - 711k
gc - 647k
ds - 479k
psp - 602k
360 - 326k
ps3 - 197k
wii - 476k
3ds - 398k
vita - 225k
wii u - 425k

in november 2011, the 3ds did 795k and in november 2012, it did 540k.

I'm honestly a little surprised Sony haven't released a PR piece with numbers. Thought for sure they would have done so by now.

Maybe it's still too early?

Sony don't do NPD PR, good or bad. See it as beneath them.

The next sales PR we will get is 80m shipped, which should be around now.

I think we will get a Beyond > 1m, TLOU > 5m shipped and PS3 > 80m shipped in the same PR. Lots of milestones and they will talk about the PS4 as well, maybe mention >2m PS4 pre-orders in the same release.

allan-bh

Numbers for 360 and PS3 in GTA IV launch was very disappointing. Based on this I don't expected such numbers. Bundle helped PS3, but even 360 benefited from GTA V launch.

3DS this month also surprised me alot.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wow, PS3 over 215k? It sounds like GTAV bundle had a big impact on its sales, after all. And outselling 360, as well!

3DS doing more than PS3 (IIRC, CosmicQueso inted at 3DS not being that far off from PS3,, then 220k)? Well, that's a pretty good result in perspective. Last year, 3DS sold less than 250k despite September 2012 being the second month for both 3DS XL and NSMB2, both tracked for just the debut week in the August NPD datas. This year, instead, no restyle, just less than 10 days for the Pokémon 3DS XL, and above all no inflential releases. That sounds like a good signal, especially considering Pokèmon (certainly the dedicated 3DS XL did its job for this month already).

Into

It kinda puts this whole "exclusive" marketing in perspective, it clearly works, but to what extent? Yeah it does make some difference, but GTA 5 is literally the biggest third party game ever in terms of sales, appeal etc. It will likely outsell every CoD game.

And yet the impact of exclusive marketing and bundle has not had some astronomical effect. Yeah PS3 outsold the 360, but not by some massive number despite the immense appeal of the game in question

It kinda tells you that the general consumer is not the blithering idiot we sometimes think they are. They know GTA 5 is also on Xbox despite the commercials, they know CoD is on Playstation despite the commercials, they know NBA 2k14 is on Xbox etc.

The reason why CoD sold better and still sells better on Xbox is because of other far more important reasons, the better online infrastructure the Xbox had over PS3 initially and the 1 year head start of the 360 which garnered it a bigger audience from the get go.

So i really wonder what exclusive DLC does in this case, compared to marketing exclusivity or whatever they call it. I really do not think it has the impact people believe. There was so much drama regarding EA not showing PS4 versions of their games at E3 yet here we are. Had the PS3 and 360 launched at the same time, with the same price and similar quality of online infrastructure then we would be able to better tell what effect exclusive or timed DLC actually has.

Just something to ponder, the effects of these deals etc.

Sony don't do NPD PR, good or bad. See it as beneath them.

The next sales PR we will get is 80m shipped, which should be around now.

I think we will get a Beyond > 1m, TLOU > 5m shipped and PS3 > 80m shipped in the same PR. Lots of milestones and they will talk about the PS4 as well, maybe mention >2m PS4 pre-orders in the same release.

That's disappointing. So it's going to be even harder to figure out NPD numbers when next gen launches? MS don't give numbers when they aren't the best seller, Sony seemingly don't care and Nintendo only seem to give percentages.

NPD has been on a downhill trajectory for some time though, it was inevitable we'd eventually reach a point where we wouldn't get hardware numbers for any of the big three.

liger05

It kinda puts this whole "exclusive" marketing in perspective, it clearly works, but to what extent? Yeah it does make some difference, but GTA 5 is literally the biggest third party game ever in terms of sales, appeal etc. It will likely outsell every CoD game.

And yet the impact of exclusive marketing and bundle has not had some astronomical effect. Yeah PS3 outsold the 360, but not by some massive number despite the immense appeal of the game in question

It kinda tells you that the general consumer is not the blithering idiot we sometimes think they are. They know GTA 5 is also on Xbox despite the commercials, they know CoD is on Playstation despite the commercials, they know NBA 2k14 is on Xbox etc.

The reason why CoD sold better and still sells better on Xbox is because of other far more important reasons, the better online infrastructure the Xbox had over PS3 initially and the 1 year head start of the 360 which garnered it a bigger audience from the get go.

So i really wonder what exclusive DLC does in this case, compared to marketing exclusivity or whatever they call it. I really do not think it has the impact people believe. There was so much drama regarding EA not showing PS4 versions of their games at E3 yet here we are.

Doesnt the early DLC COD release on 360 make a difference? Did GTA IV timed exclusive DLC make a difference?

SeanR1221

So i really wonder what exclusive DLC does in this case, compared to marketing exclusivity or whatever they call it. I really do not think it has the impact people believe. There was so much drama regarding EA not showing PS4 versions of their games at E3 yet here we are. Had the PS3 and 360 launched at the same time, with the same price and similar quality of online infrastructure then we would be able to better tell what effect exclusive or timed DLC actually has.

I think your average consumer sees those commercials and doesn't focus on the system label. They just make the assumption that it must be on the other system.

Lexxism

ps4 may do it, come to think of it. we'll see what a $129.99 2ds (and probably even cheaper than that) and pokemon does during black friday though.

*Launch numbers*

Yeah. 3DS did 540k last November 2012(down 32%). With 2DS + Pokemon + Zelda:ALBW + black friday on November, I think we might see a 500k+ sales for 3DS or maybe even an up YOY.

PS. Thanks for the numbers btw

Into

Doesnt the early DLC COD release on 360 make a difference? Did GTA IV timed exclusive DLC make a difference?

Its hard to compare it, because 360 has always been a cheaper console and it launched earlier and has always had a bigger audience in NA than PS3. So its difficult to measure it

CoD on 360 sells more, but how much of those higher sales are because of DLC? Or because of the cheaper price of the console etc?

I bet the people who negotiate this kind of stuff have some round about numbers of the impact of DLC and these marketing deals. I would love to see some of those numbers, just intriguing =)

Who knows maybe it has a enormous effect and is totally worth it, maybe it has microscopic effect and third parties are just laughing all the way to the bank with MS and Sony's money

MIlky1985

Banned
Yeah. 3DS did 540k last November 2012(down 32%). With 2DS + Pokemon + Zelda:ALBW + black friday on November, I think we might see a 500k+ sales for 3DS or maybe even an up YOY.

PS. Thanks for the numbers btw

Depends on if the 2ds cannabises the 3ds's numbers. Will be interesting to see a split actually of what sells and what games sell on each.

MIlky1985

Banned
Huh? The 2DS isn't a fundamentally different product so software sales won't be differentiated.

Depends on bundles and stuff like that, sometimes you see figures saying that X sold well with Y, might see something like that here. Obviously not from Nintendo but from retailers etc

Yes.. thanks for the pie cream. I suggest that people calculate using 95k for Wii U (I would do it, but I'm very bad with these things) because CosmicQueso, that apparently has access to NPD, hint this number earlier in the thread.

Now, only 3DS missing. If you can help us cream...

ibo7J0beasKHEv.jpg

That's disappointing. So it's going to be even harder to figure out NPD numbers when next gen launches? MS don't give numbers when they aren't the best seller, Sony seemingly don't care and Nintendo only seem to give percentages.

NPD has been on a downhill trajectory for some time though, it was inevitable we'd eventually reach a point where we wouldn't get hardware numbers for any of the big three.

It depends on people like creamsugar leaking the figures and hoping the NPD ninjas don't catch up with them.

I know Pachter stopped posting NPD figures after what I heard was a stern telling off from NPD.

Top Bottom