• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mengy

wishes it were bannable to say mean things about Marvel
I doubt a $349 bundle would make a difference. I doubt they'd win a single month at $349, even if it included MCC or AC:U. Basically, MS just has to ride out these next few years out while slowly building the brand back up and leading into next-gen. That's all they can do. Stop the bleeding, let thrombosis run its course and hope that the scarring afterward isn't too noticeable. Damn, that was a great line. If anyone reads this, how great was that line? Fucking beautiful. Anyway, it all comes down to the underpowered turd they put inside the box. Yes, the DRM debacle was also key but that can be repaired, that was a temporary PR nightmare. Power isn't temporary. I don't ever want to hear "power doesn't matter in the console wars" again. It always mattered. Power has always been an integral part of the hype and marketing machine of games consoles. Microsoft completely shit the bed in that regard.

What's funny is that everything else has been great... they have a much better OS, they have better exclusives, they have better media support, they have a better online service, I even think the damn thing looks better...especially the white one. They did everything right except one of the most vital aspects, the innards. What an epic blunder.

I hope MS doesn't leave the console market after this debacle of a gen is over. Hopefully they realize they've achieved a lot of great things and that the future looks bright... assuming you don't put out a box 30-40% less powerful than your competition, and your competition is a company that has been in financial trouble for years while you're this behemoth making billions in profit every quarter, yet you still cheaped out on the hardware. Inexcusable, man.

Well said. Very well said. MS has certainly made their fair share of mistakes this gen, and they are now paying for them. Thankfully they aren't doing terrible, just far worse than Sony who hit a homerun.

Phil Spencer taking over helped a TON, his moves right as soon as he took over probably saved them from a truly horrible generation.

Vestal

Gold Member
Microsoft had an promotion during the launch week of Destiny that would had pushed more buyers to the physical version over the digital version. Sony also had a big digital push with Destiny.

Umm why? Outside of new console buyers there was no reason to pick physical over digital or the other way around.

I'd like MS to give out those digital numbers, simply because at least from personal experience most of the people I know have gone 80-100% digital.

I just find it a shame that consumers aren't buying the console that has superior content, online, OS and controller. Come holiday the gap in content will become more apparent which should move millions of units so I will just play the waiting game.

I find it a shame that we're getting posts like these, day after day.

ahtxlb.gif

The real winner is ElTorro, bravo sir.
and i hate you for making me laugh so much at this xD

In terms of entertainment this is definitely one of the better sales-age threads. Thanks for all the laughter and the salt at 2am in the morning.
ElTorro you are a wizard of fun.

There's merit to the idea that one massively dominant player (e.g. PS2 era) may not be good for the industry and for gamers over time.

I don't think we're there yet though (in terms of that degree of dominance). And the overall market looking less dead than many people expected is definitely good.
That didn't seem like the sentiment expressed in the post that people are piling onto....

Anyway, there's probably more choice in the market in terms of ways to play, PC is growing as an alternative, new entrants trying to break in with things like micro-consoles. Information is distributed to consumers a lot faster than in the early 2000s. The competitive structure of the market has changed quite a bit since the PS2 days I'd say, such that any resting on laurels would be a pretty poor strategy. I'm guessing the edict at SCE is probably "first, do no harm" but not "do nothing."

Biker19

Banned
I just find it a shame that consumers aren't buying the console that has superior content, online, OS and controller. Come holiday the gap in content will become more apparent which should move millions of units so I will just play the waiting game.

Suck it up & deal with it. Xbox One is the N64, Sega Saturn, PS3, etc. of this gen.

Since when has power been the focal point in a generation previously ? less performance hasn't stopped consoles growing an install base in the past. They need games and a decent price point.
When the games library for both consoles is 95% identical, the ancillary features and aspects of the consoles are the differentiating factors. Power is the most important of these aspects and when the gap is as large as it is with PS4 and XB1, it has a huge influence on sales.

Not really because Xbox One version sold more at retail with lower userbase.
What do this have to do with anything I've said?
It's more than likely that Destiny's digital sales are higher on the PS4 than on the Xbone.
Destiny on "Xbone" sold more (in NA), because you could get it for free with a new Xbone purchase (and it counted for NPD). The bundled Destiny copies for the PS4 didn't count.

Fdkn

this thread would have half the pages if people read the op instead of asking the same things a hundred times lol

Crawl

When the games library for both consoles is 95% identical, the ancillary features and aspects of the consoles are the differentiating factors. Power is the most important of these aspects and when the gap is as large as it is with PS4 and XB1, it has a huge influence on sales.

This.

TI82

Banned
So is this a good month for the Wii u? Seems better than last but still bad as MK8 is already dying, hyrule warriors flopped

No Xbox One exclusives interest me, the PS4 runs multiplats better, I consider the DS4 far superior to the Xbox One gamepad, I dont think Windows 8/Metro is a good os for a game console, and PS+ is a better value to me than Xbox Live. Though I will give Live credit for being more stable.
In short I disagree with almost every opinion you posted sir.

RE_Player

I haven't dug back because the site is a little slow for me but is it assumed that the Xbox One version of Madden 15 is last on the chart of platforms because the bundle that included it performed well and was not counted in individual sales?

Aces&Eights

So now we know why MS gave away a retail copy of Destiny; It counts in NPD. Sony bundles apparently do not. However, it says Sony hardware tripled from August. Doesn't take a rocket scientist to add that math up. Kudos to MS for some slick PR moves.

Shadow of Mordor did quite well! I hope the nemesis system catches on because that was the heart of the game. So good having enemies come back for me and speak specific dialog about past battles, etc as it was really engaging.

Regardless, November and December are the front line battles. We are going to see great Black Friday deals and is going to be a war. Gamers win!

Jomjom

Banned
Whoa, wait a minute, so Smash is 4th even though it's only having its first couple of days counted? Impressive, in some light.

Not that surprising. Huge amount of sales for most games would be in 5 days after the launch. An entire month's sales or beyond really only matters when it comes to evergreen titles.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom