• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kusagari

I wonder if Pachter somehow caught wind that Destiny XBO outsold the PS4 version and that's the real reason he made his prediction.

How the fuck did NHL 15 get up that high? EA deserved to be punished for that unfinished crap (PS4 & XBone) and Roster update (X360 & PS3).

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
wise guess for mordor maybe 500k to 600k going by smash sales ?

Bass260

This is gonna be good.gif

Surprised at Destiny XB1>PS4 and Mordor charting so high. Wasn't it only out for a few days?

Quotient

Surprised Destiny sold more on XB1, though I suppose I shouldn't be.

The numbers don't include the Destiny PS4 bundle but do include the free game offer that Microsoft was offering during Destiny's launch.

I wouldn't be surprised if a majority of the free game choice were Destiny.

September 2014 was a record-breaking month for PlayStation’s digital business, thanks in large part to the success of Destiny.Last month’s PlayStation Store revenue increased nearly 90 percent compared with Sept. 2013. Working closely with Activision and Bungie, we wanted to make the launch of Destiny a special experience for PlayStation fans. We’re thrilled to see this high engagement from PS4 and PS3 owners.

- Destiny is currently the most-played PS4 game, with total gameplay hours 5X higher than the second most-played title
- Destiny is #1 across pre-order sales, day one sales, week one sales, and month one sales on PS Store
- Social sharing is hugely popular among Destiny players, with 450,000 hours of live gameplay broadcasted via the PS4 system’s SHARE functionality
- New PlayStation Plus memberships increased 115 percent from the week prior to Destiny’s launch
- The limited-edition Destiny PS4 bundle helped drive PS4 hardware sales to its biggest month in 2014

Also interesting, PlayStation says PS Plus members more than doubled since Destiny launch

Brutal!

Killzig

Are digital copies of Destiny not counted toward this? Because looking at the clans / LFG activity I find it hard to believe there are more XBO copies of the game out there than PS4.

Shaanyboi

Banned
This is a sad day for America.

I watched the TGS streams, I know what Playstation is all about. All of you Playstation lovers with your loli obsession and your anime avatars, if you love Japan so much, why don't you just move there? It saddens me that Americans would choose to associate with that rather than the sturdy, rugged, masculine, patriotic The One. Yet, throughout these sad times that we live in, I have still kept alive a lingering flame of hope that the great American values will endure, and Pacther’s predictions this week helped kindle that flame. But if these news are true, I may have to finally abandon that hope.

If these news are true, that is. Anyone else think it’s suspicious how NPD starts hiding console numbers, so that we are left at the mercy of the console manufacturers to provide us with what information they will, and suddenly Playstation starts doing better than Xbox? No one else finds it suspicious how the well-informed and knowledgeable video games analyst Pachter, who usually makes predictions with great accuracy, after consulting his vast retail contact network, predicts that The One will come out ahead, yet when we get “official” numbers, suddenly PS4 has sold more? It’s not like this is the first time that Sony is caught with juking the stats. Esteemed video games sales expert ioi recently revealed how Sony was lying at Gamescom with their 10 million consoles sold number. You may think Sony wouldn’t go that far, but they have lied to us before. They lied to us about the Driveclub PS Plus version and they lied to us about the power of their systems. One lie leads to another and once you have gotten into the habit of lying, it is very hard to stop.

But I guess this is to be expected. People who want to harm America always have a propensity to believe in made-up numbers. Look at how North Korean citizens swallow lies from their own leaders. Or closer to home, look at how liberals are gulping down the Obama administration’s lies. Look at how they are cooking the books on Obamacare and job reports. 250000 new jobs added in September? Hah, where I live, in real rural America, most people have given up looking. 250000 new jobs, my ass. Plus, under President Romney, we would have had at least 400000 new jobs. Or look at how they lie about inflation as an excuse to print money, debasing the dollar further. President Reagan (may he rest in peace) is turning in his grave. Inflation below target? Tell that to my local grocery store and gas station! These Washington types, always coming at you with their fancy numbers and their facts and their smug grins, thinking they know better than you. (And don't get me started on those IRS bullies. Federal income tax is theft and, even worse, unconstitutional, and I'm not paying to help finance a government I never voted for. So they can take their tax return forms and their court summons and shove them up somewhere. Don't bother coming back here!) And throughout all this, the mainstream media keeps cheering the administration on, helping them pull the wool over Americans’ eyes. This is very similar to the gaming media, incidentally, with their strong Sony bias. Kotaku is far too close to Sony. Always has been.

Maybe it’s time we started unskewing the NPD results. Even though they started shilling for Sony only relatively recently, I have always felt that their numbers are suspect. They don’t track sales from online stores, where more and more customers are taking their business these days. Also, it is well-known that they don’t take digital download sales into account. Who knows how many console sales they miss that way?

Still, I am always the optimist. I have hopes for the future. It looks like people are finally starting to see through the Democrats’ lies. If polls are to be believed, we will put a patriotic majority back in the Senate in November. If it can happen there, we can get the powers for good back into power in the video game business at the same time, with the arrival of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and, most importantly, the monthly OS updates. Until then, God bless you all, and don’t forget to vote in November!

lol

I watched the TGS streams, I know what Playstation is all about. All of you Playstation lovers with your loli obsession and your anime avatars, if you love Japan so much, why don't you just move there? It saddens me that Americans would choose to associate with that rather than the sturdy, rugged, masculine, patriotic The One. Yet, throughout these sad times that we live in, I have still kept alive a lingering flame of hope that the great American values will endure, and Pacther’s predictions this week helped kindle that flame. But if these news are true, I may have to finally abandon that hope.

If these news are true, that is. Anyone else think it’s suspicious how NPD starts hiding console numbers, so that we are left at the mercy of the console manufacturers to provide us with what information they will, and suddenly Playstation starts doing better than Xbox? No one else finds it suspicious how the well-informed and knowledgeable video games analyst Pachter, who usually makes predictions with great accuracy, after consulting his vast retail contact network, predicts that The One will come out ahead, yet when we get “official” numbers, suddenly PS4 has sold more? It’s not like this is the first time that Sony is caught with juking the stats. Esteemed video games sales expert ioi recently revealed how Sony was lying at Gamescom with their 10 million consoles sold number. You may think Sony wouldn’t go that far, but they have lied to us before. They lied to us about the Driveclub PS Plus version and they lied to us about the power of their systems. One lie leads to another and once you have gotten into the habit of lying, it is very hard to stop.

But I guess this is to be expected. People who want to harm America always have a propensity to believe in made-up numbers. Look at how North Korean citizens swallow lies from their own leaders. Or closer to home, look at how liberals are gulping down the Obama administration’s lies. Look at how they are cooking the books on Obamacare and job reports. 250000 new jobs added in September? Hah, where I live, in real rural America, most people have given up looking. 250000 new jobs, my ass. Plus, under President Romney, we would have had at least 400000 new jobs. Or look at how they lie about inflation as an excuse to print money, debasing the dollar further. President Reagan (may he rest in peace) is turning in his grave. Inflation below target? Tell that to my local grocery store and gas station! These Washington types, always coming at you with their fancy numbers and their facts and their smug grins, thinking they know better than you. (And don't get me started on those IRS bullies. Federal income tax is theft and, even worse, unconstitutional, and I'm not paying to help finance a government I never voted for. So they can take their tax return forms and their court summons and shove them up somewhere. Don't bother coming back here!) And throughout all this, the mainstream media keeps cheering the administration on, helping them pull the wool over Americans’ eyes. This is very similar to the gaming media, incidentally, with their strong Sony bias. Kotaku is far too close to Sony. Always has been.

Maybe it’s time we started unskewing the NPD results. Even though they started shilling for Sony only relatively recently, I have always felt that their numbers are suspect. They don’t track sales from online stores, where more and more customers are taking their business these days. Also, it is well-known that they don’t take digital download sales into account. Who knows how many console sales they miss that way?

Still, I am always the optimist. I have hopes for the future. It looks like people are finally starting to see through the Democrats’ lies. If polls are to be believed, we will put a patriotic majority back in the Senate in November. If it can happen there, we can get the powers for good back into power in the video game business at the same time, with the arrival of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and, most importantly, the monthly OS updates. Until then, God bless you all, and don’t forget to vote in November!

lmao

I'm 90% convinced this is satire. And it's no doubt you actually typed up this piss poor post well before the thread was actually created.

You’re probably not shocked that Destiny, from Halo developer Bungie, topped the game-sales list, but here’s something that might surprise you: It sold better on Xbox One than on PlayStation 4 (you can tell which version of a game sold better by looking at the order of the platforms in the parenthesis).

Well, “sold” isn’t exactly accurate in this situation.

Destiny debuted on Sept. 9 for Xbox One, PlayStation 4, Xbox 360, and PlayStation 3. From Sept. 7 through Sept. 13, Microsoft let people who bought a new Xbox One select a free game to go along with it. It’s likely that many people took advantage of that offer to get the hot new release of the week, which was Destiny. Also, Sony had a Destiny bundle, and the NPD figures don’t consider software packed-in with a system in this chart.

http://venturebeat.com/2014/10/16/s...-a-free-game/?n_play=54404740e4b08a5feea09b2b

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
We can't really say that Destiny 'sold' more on the XB1. We can say that more XB1 players received a copy of Destiny though.

Color me verrrrry surprised that XBO is first for Destiny, bundle or not. Considering how many more PS4s there already were in the wild, that's surprising.

Surprised at Destiny XBO outselling the PS4 version given the install base, co-marketing, bundle, white ps4 etc. Shocked, actually.

Not surprised PS4 sold more hardware again though.

Really? Why? It offers an explanation then.

Not sure on the reasoning, but they never include bundled games in the sales ranking. They are however included in a SKU breakout of the hardware sales.

Euron

Destiny XB1 outselling the PS4 is surprising but the NPD doesn't include bundles and digital sales, which it probably got a big portion of its sales from.

Regardless of what Pachter said, PS4 outselling XB1 isn't a surprise. The real battle is November with the war of the bundles during Black Friday.

Edit: Free game with XB1 deal being the cause of this makes sense. So I guess Activision made a greater profit from the PS4 version.

If you're kidding, well done, that's pretty funny.

If you're serious, wow, that even funnier.

Vyrance

Not sure why you guys are surprised by Destiny X1 outselling PS4 version. PS4 Destiny bundles aren't counted in that number

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom