• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verendus

Banned
I think I'm going to write a new song. It'll be my start as a musician. I already have the first line.

You are my Destiny

Quite snappy. Just need to think up everything else now, and the composition.

Hyunashi

Obviously the 2 things of note about standalone Destiny selling more on Xbox One than PS4 are:

1. Destiny bundle didn't count for PS4.
2. Microsoft footed the bill on the Xbox One version the week of launch for anyone who bought an Xbox One so a lot of the people who bought it on Xbox One got it for free.

Pretty much this. I don't get the shocked reactions.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
This is a sad day for America.

I watched the TGS streams, I know what Playstation is all about. All of you Playstation lovers with your loli obsession and your anime avatars, if you love Japan so much, why don't you just move there? It saddens me that Americans would choose to associate with that rather than the sturdy, rugged, masculine, patriotic The One. Yet, throughout these sad times that we live in, I have still kept alive a lingering flame of hope that the great American values will endure, and Pacther’s predictions this week helped kindle that flame. But if these news are true, I may have to finally abandon that hope.

If these news are true, that is. Anyone else think it’s suspicious how NPD starts hiding console numbers, so that we are left at the mercy of the console manufacturers to provide us with what information they will, and suddenly Playstation starts doing better than Xbox? No one else finds it suspicious how the well-informed and knowledgeable video games analyst Pachter, who usually makes predictions with great accuracy, after consulting his vast retail contact network, predicts that The One will come out ahead, yet when we get “official” numbers, suddenly PS4 has sold more? It’s not like this is the first time that Sony is caught with juking the stats. Esteemed video games sales expert ioi recently revealed how Sony was lying at Gamescom with their 10 million consoles sold number. You may think Sony wouldn’t go that far, but they have lied to us before. They lied to us about the Driveclub PS Plus version and they lied to us about the power of their systems. One lie leads to another and once you have gotten into the habit of lying, it is very hard to stop.

But I guess this is to be expected. People who want to harm America always have a propensity to believe in made-up numbers. Look at how North Korean citizens swallow lies from their own leaders. Or closer to home, look at how liberals are gulping down the Obama administration’s lies. Look at how they are cooking the books on Obamacare and job reports. 250000 new jobs added in September? Hah, where I live, in real rural America, most people have given up looking. 250000 new jobs, my ass. Plus, under President Romney, we would have had at least 400000 new jobs. Or look at how they lie about inflation as an excuse to print money, debasing the dollar further. President Reagan (may he rest in peace) is turning in his grave. Inflation below target? Tell that to my local grocery store and gas station! These Washington types, always coming at you with their fancy numbers and their facts and their smug grins, thinking they know better than you. (And don't get me started on those IRS bullies. Federal income tax is theft and, even worse, unconstitutional, and I'm not paying to help finance a government I never voted for. So they can take their tax return forms and their court summons and shove them up somewhere. Don't bother coming back here!) And throughout all this, the mainstream media keeps cheering the administration on, helping them pull the wool over Americans’ eyes. This is very similar to the gaming media, incidentally, with their strong Sony bias. Kotaku is far too close to Sony. Always has been.

Maybe it’s time we started unskewing the NPD results. Even though they started shilling for Sony only relatively recently, I have always felt that their numbers are suspect. They don’t track sales from online stores, where more and more customers are taking their business these days. Also, it is well-known that they don’t take digital download sales into account. Who knows how many console sales they miss that way?

Still, I am always the optimist. I have hopes for the future. It looks like people are finally starting to see through the Democrats’ lies. If polls are to be believed, we will put a patriotic majority back in the Senate in November. If it can happen there, we can get the powers for good back into power in the video game business at the same time, with the arrival of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and, most importantly, the monthly OS updates. Until then, God bless you all, and don’t forget to vote in November!

What did I just read??

Damn so preseason extended for at least 2 more months.

Hopefully the regular season starts in November.

j0KMyi7.jpg

thesnowman

Neo Member
Dont think anyone except patcher expected XB1 to sell more in September. Now October and November might be up for grabs. Competition is great.

Begaria

Destiny XBO > PS4?

What the hell happen?

Explained many times over: NPD doesn't count bundles. All of those Destiny PS4 bundles? Not counted for the top ten. Those are just standalone copies (i.e. Walk into the store, pick the game off the shelf). Destiny sold more bundled with the PS4 than it did to people whom already had a PS4 and just went and picked up the game. On top of that, Sony already released that PS4 is the #1 place that Destiny is played worldwide and did very well on the PSN store. All of that anecdote evidence leads me to believe the Xbox One version didn't actually exceed the PS4 version.

Obviously the 3 things of note about standalone Destiny selling more on Xbox One than PS4 are:

3. Digital sales of Destiny didn't count.
2. Microsoft footed the bill on the Xbox One version the week of launch for anyone who bought an Xbox One so a lot of the people who bought it on Xbox One got it for free.

Get out of here with your facts. You're ruining the nice little narrative that we have building up here.

ascii42

X1 is last place in both Madden and Fifa?

Good lord.

The XB1 version of Madden outsold the 360 and PS3 versions in August. I think games on the last gen systems tend to have better tails, since there's still a larger install base, with a lot of people who are less likely to be early adopters.

SykoTech

Not to dump on Pachter. He's alright and I got nothing against him. But uh, I'm pretty sure he was the one who predicted FUSE would sell over 5 million copies.

Really surprised so many people thought he had the slightest chance at being right. Made for an amusing thread to lurk though.

Apathy

Do people just not read huge bolded parts of the OP?

Game sales that were bundled with a system are not counted.

A shit ton of ps4's were sold in September, with a bunch of them (presumably) being the Destiny bundled white ones, therefore those are not counted here.

Seems people just go and see what they want and overlook the rest just to hit the reply button as fast as possible

BY2K

Membero Americo

I watched the TGS streams, I know what Playstation is all about. All of you Playstation lovers with your loli obsession and your anime avatars, if you love Japan so much, why don't you just move there? It saddens me that Americans would choose to associate with that rather than the sturdy, rugged, masculine, patriotic The One. Yet, throughout these sad times that we live in, I have still kept alive a lingering flame of hope that the great American values will endure, and Pacther’s predictions this week helped kindle that flame. But if these news are true, I may have to finally abandon that hope.

If these news are true, that is. Anyone else think it’s suspicious how NPD starts hiding console numbers, so that we are left at the mercy of the console manufacturers to provide us with what information they will, and suddenly Playstation starts doing better than Xbox? No one else finds it suspicious how the well-informed and knowledgeable video games analyst Pachter, who usually makes predictions with great accuracy, after consulting his vast retail contact network, predicts that The One will come out ahead, yet when we get “official” numbers, suddenly PS4 has sold more? It’s not like this is the first time that Sony is caught with juking the stats. Esteemed video games sales expert ioi recently revealed how Sony was lying at Gamescom with their 10 million consoles sold number. You may think Sony wouldn’t go that far, but they have lied to us before. They lied to us about the Driveclub PS Plus version and they lied to us about the power of their systems. One lie leads to another and once you have gotten into the habit of lying, it is very hard to stop.

But I guess this is to be expected. People who want to harm America always have a propensity to believe in made-up numbers. Look at how North Korean citizens swallow lies from their own leaders. Or closer to home, look at how liberals are gulping down the Obama administration’s lies. Look at how they are cooking the books on Obamacare and job reports. 250000 new jobs added in September? Hah, where I live, in real rural America, most people have given up looking. 250000 new jobs, my ass. Plus, under President Romney, we would have had at least 400000 new jobs. Or look at how they lie about inflation as an excuse to print money, debasing the dollar further. President Reagan (may he rest in peace) is turning in his grave. Inflation below target? Tell that to my local grocery store and gas station! These Washington types, always coming at you with their fancy numbers and their facts and their smug grins, thinking they know better than you. (And don't get me started on those IRS bullies. Federal income tax is theft and, even worse, unconstitutional, and I'm not paying to help finance a government I never voted for. So they can take their tax return forms and their court summons and shove them up somewhere. Don't bother coming back here!) And throughout all this, the mainstream media keeps cheering the administration on, helping them pull the wool over Americans’ eyes. This is very similar to the gaming media, incidentally, with their strong Sony bias. Kotaku is far too close to Sony. Always has been.

Maybe it’s time we started unskewing the NPD results. Even though they started shilling for Sony only relatively recently, I have always felt that their numbers are suspect. They don’t track sales from online stores, where more and more customers are taking their business these days. Also, it is well-known that they don’t take digital download sales into account. Who knows how many console sales they miss that way?

Still, I am always the optimist. I have hopes for the future. It looks like people are finally starting to see through the Democrats’ lies. If polls are to be believed, we will put a patriotic majority back in the Senate in November. If it can happen there, we can get the powers for good back into power in the video game business at the same time, with the arrival of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and, most importantly, the monthly OS updates. Until then, God bless you all, and don’t forget to vote in November!

There's no way you got 4th reply with a post like this. That was prepared in advance!

N.Domixis

Banned
Haha. I wonder if MS will brag that Destiny "sold" the most on the Xbox One. That's pretty much the same thing as a girl scout bragging that she sold the most cookies after her parents bought a good percentage of them.
More like bragging you sold the most when you bought most of them yourself.

ibk17MbmHfhiaS.gif

i2kfNNwD8wS8d.gif

Mrbob

Even with all the caveats involved, I'm still surprised the XB1 version sold better.

Eh, there are a lot of factors involved. The free game promotion for XB1 is a separate line item so that number is included. The PS4 hardware bundle totals are not. Nor are digitial purchases . So I guess if you ignore all these other factors then yes a claim can be made for MS having a small victory of sorts.

JeffGrubb

I asked Pachter what happened:

Pachter:
Yeah, people really like those white PS4s ;-)

PS4 was up by almost threefold. I’m not sure what triggered that, didn’t find the Destiny bundle that compelling (it was only a $10 discount), and the fifth week implied that sales would be up by 25%. I get that September is seasonally stronger than August, so I suppose I should have gone to 375 – 400k, but I would never have gone to over 500k. I’m still surprised by that figure.

Do people just not read huge bolded parts of the OP?

Game sales that were bundled with a system are not counted.

A shit ton of ps4's were sold in September, with a bunch of them (presumably) being the Destiny bundled white ones, therefore those are not counted here.

Seems people just go and see what they want and overlook the rest just to hit the reply button as fast as possible

Spin spin spin i think.

Shadow of Mordor really pleases me. Hope it sustains momentum.

Bgamer90

Banned
Obviously the 2 things of note about standalone Destiny selling more on Xbox One than PS4 are:

Very true. I still don't think anyone here thought the Xbox One version of the game would have done better though. The PS4 marketing was huge and the PS4 userbase is huge too obviously.

I remember many saying it would be close but no one saying the Xbox One version would still outsell it.

UberTag

I dont keep up on NPD as much but does NHL usually chart that high at release?
Nope. But with software sales considering to slide, a dry release sched and NHL releasing on a metric ton of platforms thanks to EA, it's rated highly here. May have even sold less than past years despite charting so high. It certainly deserves to sell less.

RyudBoy

I bought Destiny on XB1 digitally, but still surprised to see it outsell the PS4 version. Knew there was no way MS would sell more consoles than Sony, though. I think November for sure.

Hyunashi

Where the hell is Forza? I did not realise it did not make the top 10. I guess it shows how significant 3rd party games are currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom