• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is a sad day for America.

I watched the TGS streams, I know what Playstation is all about. All of you Playstation lovers with your loli obsession and your anime avatars, if you love Japan so much, why don't you just move there? It saddens me that Americans would choose to associate with that rather than the sturdy, rugged, masculine, patriotic The One. Yet, throughout these sad times that we live in, I have still kept alive a lingering flame of hope that the great American values will endure, and Pacther’s predictions this week helped kindle that flame. But if these news are true, I may have to finally abandon that hope.

If these news are true, that is. Anyone else think it’s suspicious how NPD starts hiding console numbers, so that we are left at the mercy of the console manufacturers to provide us with what information they will, and suddenly Playstation starts doing better than Xbox? No one else finds it suspicious how the well-informed and knowledgeable video games analyst Pachter, who usually makes predictions with great accuracy, after consulting his vast retail contact network, predicts that The One will come out ahead, yet when we get “official” numbers, suddenly PS4 has sold more? It’s not like this is the first time that Sony is caught with juking the stats. Esteemed video games sales expert ioi recently revealed how Sony was lying at Gamescom with their 10 million consoles sold number. You may think Sony wouldn’t go that far, but they have lied to us before. They lied to us about the Driveclub PS Plus version and they lied to us about the power of their systems. One lie leads to another and once you have gotten into the habit of lying, it is very hard to stop.

But I guess this is to be expected. People who want to harm America always have a propensity to believe in made-up numbers. Look at how North Korean citizens swallow lies from their own leaders. Or closer to home, look at how liberals are gulping down the Obama administration’s lies. Look at how they are cooking the books on Obamacare and job reports. 250000 new jobs added in September? Hah, where I live, in real rural America, most people have given up looking. 250000 new jobs, my ass. Plus, under President Romney, we would have had at least 400000 new jobs. Or look at how they lie about inflation as an excuse to print money, debasing the dollar further. President Reagan (may he rest in peace) is turning in his grave. Inflation below target? Tell that to my local grocery store and gas station! These Washington types, always coming at you with their fancy numbers and their facts and their smug grins, thinking they know better than you. (And don't get me started on those IRS bullies. Federal income tax is theft and, even worse, unconstitutional, and I'm not paying to help finance a government I never voted for. So they can take their tax return forms and their court summons and shove them up somewhere. Don't bother coming back here!) And throughout all this, the mainstream media keeps cheering the administration on, helping them pull the wool over Americans’ eyes. This is very similar to the gaming media, incidentally, with their strong Sony bias. Kotaku is far too close to Sony. Always has been.

Maybe it’s time we started unskewing the NPD results. Even though they started shilling for Sony only relatively recently, I have always felt that their numbers are suspect. They don’t track sales from online stores, where more and more customers are taking their business these days. Also, it is well-known that they don’t take digital download sales into account. Who knows how many console sales they miss that way?

Still, I am always the optimist. I have hopes for the future. It looks like people are finally starting to see through the Democrats’ lies. If polls are to be believed, we will put a patriotic majority back in the Senate in November. If it can happen there, we can get the powers for good back into power in the video game business at the same time, with the arrival of Halo: The Master Chief Collection and, most importantly, the monthly OS updates. Until then, God bless you all, and don’t forget to vote in November!

He needs a title for this post...

rapid32.5

Re: Destiny

http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2014/1...st-month-in-playstation-store-history/112357/

Sony Announces That September 2014 Was the Biggest Month in PlayStation Store History

QPMeyAT.gif

Into

Forza Horizon 2 didn't chart, is that bad or good?

Despite being a quality series, Forza mainline or Horizon have never been a sales beast. It certainly deserves it.

And one could argue that the whole genre has really taken a backseat, GT6 did rather poorly for that series, which was at once one of the biggest series around.

This thread is updating faster than I can read, so I apologize if this has already been said. (VIA Twitter)

@PlayStation: Breaking: PS4 was September's top-selling console, leading current-gen software sales including Madden NFL 15, NHL 15 & FIFA 15. Thank you 💙

Begaria

Am I reading that right?

Destiny was top selling on Xbox One?????

The standalone, physical copy of Destiny on XBO outsold the PS4 standalone copy, yes. NPD doesn't count bundles in its data - thus the PS4 Destiny bundle doesn't count. Neither does digital sales. Sony has already come out and said the PS4 is the #1 console to play Destiny on, likely meaning that Destiny globally has sold the best on PS4.

Ethelwulf

Nah. Could get free Destiny with Xbone purchase, so since that wasn't a "usual" bundle, it counted in the sale number, while the actual PS4 bundle ones do not count in that sale number.

I think on these types of games you can usually assume game sales will be close anyway.

Hmm, interesting didn't know that. I have no idea how marketing works. Thanks for the info ;)

Have to consider the impact of EA ACCESS as well. That could really affect the digital numbers for any ea game for xbone.
I suppose that's true, but we don't know, just like we don't know how many bundles that PS4 + Destiny sold (which resulted in X1 showing more sold at retail for Destiny).

I guess it goes both ways.

Amazing Destiny performance on XB1. Amazing PS4 sales. The fact Destiny don't count is irrelevant, it sold more to the current base, that's big news and not something I though possible.

Sir, it did not sell more on the current base if 5x more of the people are playing it on the other base. Do the math and tell me what you came up with.

Forza Horizon came out Sept 30 if I'm not mistaken. Not surprised it didn't chart.

Sunset Overdrive probably won't chart either since it will be out late October.

ElTorro

I wanted to dominate the living room. Then I took an ESRAM in the knee.
I asked Pachter what happened:

Predictions based solely on the "objective" value of a bundle are likely to be unreliable, especially if it's "just" a single game's price. I am still baffled that he stubbornly refuses to take aspects like the specs difference or the effect of people drawing their friends to their own platform into account. Enough people do care about these things, too.

Key2001

I'm really confused..

Xbox One destiny > PS4 destiny

I'm assuming to do the bundled news of destiny..

But

Madden, Fifa 15 PS3 > XB1 Madden, fifa

Maybe due to EA Access???? I dunno

There's the bundle and more buyers probably went physical over digital on the XBO due to the free game promotion.

It might not have sold more retail but the gameindustry article says

Destiny in particular was huge for Sony, as the company noted that PS4 has been the lead platform for the game in terms of units sold through October 4.

They are probably including bundles and digital sales in that statement right? Unless I am reading this wrong.

le.phat

If sales tripled month-over-month, and Destiny stand-alone sold less on ps4, then they must have moved an absolute shitton of those bundles lol.

Toki767

Very true. I still don't think anyone here thought the Xbox One version of the game would have done better though. The PS4 marketing was huge and the PS4 userbase is huge too obviously.

I remember many saying it would be close but no one saying the Xbox One version would still outsell it.

Technically true, although the PS4 userbase in the US compared to Xbox One userbase is still less than 1 million ahead. You could easily assume that a big portion of the PS4 audience had no interest in Destiny while the Xbox One audience are Bungie fans.

The only thing that would've been interesting is if Destiny XB1 > Destiny PS4 + bundles.

As it stands, I'm guessing standalone copies of Destiny on XB1 were probably only 100K more if not less than PS4 standalone copies.

Trey

Destiny 2 is going to move mountains. The franchise got its foot in the door in a big way with a mediocre first entry - imagine its dominance when it shores up all its weaknesses.

FDC1

This thread is updating faster than I can read, so I apologize if this has already been said. (VIA Twitter)

@PlayStation: Breaking: PS4 was September's top-selling console, leading current-gen software sales including Madden NFL 15, NHL 15 & FIFA 15. Thank you ��

You couldn't even bother to read the first post?

Wow over 500k - Congratz Sony

I dread to think how big the numbers in November will be with games like:

COD, Ac Unity, Far Cry, GTA5, Little Big Planet and Project Cars

hemo memo

Gold Member
Explained many times over: NPD doesn't count bundles. All of those Destiny PS4 bundles? Not counted for the top ten. Those are just standalone copies (i.e. Walk into the store, pick the game off the shelf). Destiny sold more bundled with the PS4 than it did to people whom already had a PS4 and just went and picked up the game. On top of that, Sony already released that PS4 is the #1 place that Destiny is played worldwide and did very well on the PSN store. All of that anecdote evidence leads me to believe the Xbox One version didn't actually exceed the PS4 version.

+ Microsoft free game promotion.
So yeah, its not shocking or weird.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom