• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Smash failed at moving 3DS units. Not a good sign for Nintendo if they are hoping Smash U will move Wii U hardware....

Right. I don't see how Nintendo could take that as a good sign. The handheld market is crashing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
My initial reactions.

-Destiny did astronomically well as expected.
-Smash had a very strong debut, especially given the day length and the staggered split platform release.
-The PS4 tripling shows it is responding well to new software releases. Healthy sign.
-Hyrule Warriors beat my expectations by a fair amount. I thought 100-120K might be the top out for the month.
-The 3DS is somewhat poor. While this is better than it has been doing recently, it's still a really low number compared to last year or even the PSP from this time last generation despite having a major release. I do realize the New 3DS has been announced, which is why I only say "somewhat".

Smash failed at moving 3DS units. Not a good sign for Nintendo if they are hoping Smash U will move Wii U hardware....

Apples and oranges. I'd never expect a handheld version of Smash to move units. People who are already big into 3DS will get it, but not new adopters. Most Smash fans are waitingfor the real version on Wii U.

QMNAZSj.gif

Smash numbers are impressive.

If people wonder about Destiny digital sales, just find Destiny OT and watch the massive amount of people waiting for 12:00amPST to hit so they could log in lol.

I wouldn't be shocked if 20-30% of PS4 Destiny sales were digital.

Bgamer90

Banned
Well it's actually XBO standalone + free game give away > PS4 standalone.

And many people were buying it digitally on PS4 (per Sony) or bundle.

Yes, but even with the free game give away I didn't think it would be the case since people would have (obviously) needed to buy a system with it.

This month blatantly shows that digital sales need to start getting tracked. More than likely made up a significant portion of Destiny sales for both consoles (as you pretty much stated).

My initial reactions.

-Smash had a very strong debut, especially given the day length and the staggered split platform release.
-The PS4 tripling shows it is responding well to new software releases. Healthy sign.
-Hyrule Warriors beat my expectations by a fair amount. I thought 100-120K might be the top out for the month.
-The 3DS is somewhat poor. While this is better than it has been doing recently, it's still a really low number compared to last year or even the PSP from this time last generation despite having a major release. I do realize the New 3DS has been announced, which is why I only say "somewhat".

You forgot fifa sold better on ps4 which was a surprise

Mrbob

Thought it would be close due to those COD stats (and stats for other shooters) but I still thought the PS4 standalone would do better.

How do you know it didn't? With companies so protective of digital sales it is hard to get a clear picture on software sales nowadays. Suffice to say Destiny sold a lot on both platforms.

Guymelef

Apples and oranges. I'd never expect a handheld version of Smash to move units. People who are already big into 3DS will get it, but not new adopters. Most Smash fans are waitingfor the real version on Wii U.

Problem is Mario Kart didn't move hardware, why Smash Bros Wii U would have to?

alterno69

Banned
Yikes.

Nintendo's next handheld is going to perform horrendously if Nintendo isn't able to entice the masses to buy it and play on it over their phones.
Near impossible IMO. My 8 year old son has a 3ds, he's had one for two years now, but his ipod then and ipad mini now, take all of his time. He plays on his Xbone too but must is his entertainment comes from his tablet. No handheld can compete with that.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Considering it's a Wii U title and a Dynasty Warrior game, those numbers for Hyrule Warriors are actually not that bad.

My initial reactions.

you did? I expected 150k :p

JeffGrubb

A Microsoft spokesperson:
“We believe this will be one of our biggest holiday seasons ever. We’re offering great Xbox One bundles aligned with the most anticipated game launches of the year, including ‘Assassin’s Creed Unity,’ ‘Sunset Overdrive’ and ‘Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare,’ and incredible deals for fans. Combined with blockbusters like ‘Halo: The Master Chief Collection,’ ‘Grand Theft Auto 5,’ ‘Destiny’ and ‘Forza Horizon 2,’ we are committed to making Xbox One a great place to play this holiday.”

QaaQer

Yikes.

Nintendo's next handheld is going to perform horrendously if Nintendo isn't able to entice the masses to buy it and play on it over their phones.

They're gonna need some black magic voodoo shit to pull that off. People love their phones more than their children.

Yeah really is. Game sales are generally HEAVILY frontloaded and it's not like we are even talking about 1 day's worth of sales here. I would imagine past day 5, sales would have dropped way down already.

MS can't be happy with the performance of FH2. I really do think F5 negatively affected it. Feedback for that game seemed to get real negative real fast.

This will be my last post about this because I dont want to be a cheerleader.

Its doing much better than FH1

around this point 2 years ago the leader boards were around 200,000 if memory serves me right

we couldn't even fill up the 100 member GAF club

as of yesterday there are over 460,000 people on the leader board a number that has increased by 100,000 every week.

I like many others got the digital version, so its going to be hard to track how its actually doing.

vpance

I wonder what percentage of Destiny PS4 sales were on digital. 20% maybe? FWIW Ubi says it does around 10% of sales digitally.

Yes, but even with the free game give away I didn't think it would be the case since people would have (obviously) needed to buy a system with it.

This month blatantly shows that digital sales need to start getting tracked. More than likely made up a significant portion of Destiny sales for both consoles (as you pretty much stated).

A significant portion of the new Xbox ones sold last month were during that free game promotion and destiny was sold with most of those.

Adding those while subtracting the ps4 bundles would make it incredibly shocking if xb1 version wasnt number 1.

tebunker

Banned
My initial reactions.

Honestly, Nintendo of America should have eaten a chunk of the old 3DS inventory in the channel in agreements with retailers to guarantee like orders of NEW 3ds. I mean, what's the point of having old product wasting in retail channels, that clearly isn't selling like it needs to.

They could jumpstart 3ds sales with the New 3DS, and help retailers sell off the old ones by allowing them to heavily discount without having to take it on the chin as hard. It would be a great way to get buy in from retailers and more ad space heading in to Christmas.

fernoca

Any Destiny numbers/breakdown?
I think the numbers might be close, but...

Wasn't Destiny liked more by PlayStation fans, because it sold more there? :p

sam777

Time for more price drops and game pack ins for Xbox One or will they wait and see if Halo does it?

There must come a point were consumer preference shifts too far one way, could be this Christmas and you suffer it until the end of the generation.

I think they should be aggresive and offer Halo free with any Xbox One console purchase, whether it be the AC unity bundle or the SO bundle.

So, considering that Destiny PS4 bundles are not counted... Sony dominated completely?

I didn't think otherwise, but guys, I'm telling you, November will be closest! I mean, if Halo can't do it...I don't know what to think

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom