• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

logikk

Neo Member
That really is a valid point. Sony sprinkles big titles across the year usually. MS comes out guns blazing every November. For me, I don't play more than one game at a time usually, so getting Infamous in summer then LBP in Fall followed by Bloodborne in Feb then The Order is my preference.

Titanfall was in March, but yea MS has most of their first party during holiday season. Not sure if that's good or not...

Also, I think The Order was supposed to come out this fall but was delayed til next year, so not sure if they planned that one.

Huh, interesting.. I haven't really followed this sales race nonsense in a while but the Xbox One is only one million behind the PS4 now? They've made quite the strides, last I saw PS4 had closer to a 2 to 1 ratio.

The 2 to 1 ratio applies to worldwide sales. The gap between the consoles in the US was around 750k up to August...

So as we have to burn time and posts until such a time as the attention is shifted from this thread, how about a terrible estimate for PS4 WW sales?

From my post here on US|WW ratios of PS4 sales, sales in 2014 of PS4 have wavered between as little as 30% of WW sales being in the US to as much as 38%.

While the most recent data suggests a 30% US|WW ratio of sales I would qualify that in that time period [from April to August] PS4 was introduced to 28 more markets and while small likely weighed down the rest of the world's share. I think ~34% or higher for the US's share is likely between August 11th and October 4th.

PS4 US LTD since August 10th ~= 681k

At 34% US|WW Ratio, WW sales of PS4 between August 11th and October 4th would be ~2003k, a little over 2M

At 38% US|WW Ratio, WW sales of PS4 between August 11th and October 4th would be ~1792k

So likely the PS4 either approached or surpassed 12M sold through WW as of the beginning of October

Pretty disappointing numbers for Sony tbh. With all the positive buzz around the console and hype surrounding Destiny I would guessed for about twice that. Xbox One really isn't that far behind considering the rough start they got. Pachter may not have been right but he was pretty close, and October NPDs should be interesting.

GHG

Gold Member
First Septembers:

PS4 - 538k
Wii - 501k
PS2 - 344k
XBone - 284k
X360 - 259k
Xbox - 173k
Gamecube - 167k
PS3 - 119k
Wii U - 95k

This really puts things into perspective. The PS4 is killing it.

The 1st couple of pages of this thread are hilarious though.

Pretty disappointing numbers for Sony tbh. With all the positive buzz around the console and hype surrounding Destiny I would guessed for about twice that. Xbox One really isn't that far behind considering the rough start they get. Pachter may not have been right but he was pretty close, and October NPDs should be interesting.

Really? At this price point and the stage of the life cycle of the console (1st 12 months) it's the best they could have hoped for. See the figures I quoted above.

I haven't been following the release schedule but what is Sony's big game for this season?

I'm not sure anyone knows really. Despite how awesome of a console the PS4 is its holiday exclusive lineup is......somewhat lacking. But exclusives are far from the only thing that sells systems as Destiny just showed.

That being said its 2015 lineup. Hot damn.

Loudninja

Pretty disappointing numbers for Sony tbh. With all the positive buzz around the console and hype surrounding Destiny I would guessed for about twice that. Xbox One really isn't that far behind considering the rough start they get. Pachter may not have been right but he was pretty close, and October NPDs should be interesting.
Heh people are going to believe you :p

David___

Banned
Titanfall was in March, but yea MS has most of their first party during holiday season. Not sure if that's good or not...

Also, I think The Order was supposed to come out this fall but was delayed til next year, so not sure if they planned that one.

They also had Santa Monica's new game planned for the Fall but it got canned.

Hoje0308

Banned

Sums up the thread nicely, thank you.

Vire

Sales in the US are closer than sales globally.

2:1 is WW, this is US

This is for US.

Worldwide it's more than 2:1 lol

2:1 worldwide I think

Edit: beaten. Damn thread moves fast

This has never happened in North America and UK.

It's not really making strides when you continue to fall further behind and you will probably get the same ratio or greater with Europe and Japan.

They were always close in NA and the UK. In Europe and the rest of the world the gap is huge. That's why PS4 is 2:1 in sales worldwide (maybe even more now).

Thanks! I totally forgot NPD was just for the United States.

My B.

Josh7289

PS4 is selling bonkers units. That's really impressive. Good job, Sony.

Also I'm really pleased with Smash, Hyrule Warriors, and Wii U sales numbers/growth. I like those things a lot and therefore I'm happy that they're succeeding.

Oh and I'm pretty certain I also made a bad prediction on the length of this thread. Ugh and I had insider information on some of the big players not being able to put work in too...

At which point we move into the Wii discussion much earlier in the thread than normal.

If you're benchmarking against the Wii to begin with, you're comparing very disparate market segments. If you're then benchmarking the XBO against "the second best selling console" last generation, namely the 360, then you're benchmarking it against the best selling system targeted at the same segments these new systems are targeting.

I maintain that excluding consumers from market comparisons to maintain a view that the market is not diminished doesn't hold water, because the market doesn't give a shit who is buying its product, it cares that products are being bought.

By comparison to September 2007, which I think is a fair comparative year as the first september for 2 new consoles, and the second for one:
- No major multiplatform release to buoy numbers
- Prior generational hardware still selling in significant numbers
- Handhelds selling in significant numbers

I mean, if your only interest in sales is whatever the three newest home consoles are, because despite 'last gen' consoles still selling significant amounts of software they don't matter anymore, and you're making a direct data point comparison across generations ignoring contexts like supply shortages or major software releases and hardware bundles, and you then write off the best selling console of last gen as a fluke with demographics that don't matter because their moneys no good anymore or something, and you then decide handhelds aren't really a part of the market that needs to be worried about, and if you then extend that thinking that of the only three datapoints that do matter one doing terribly and one doing okay is less important than one doing well, then sure, if you do all of that then I guess you can come to the conclusion that everythings hunky dory.

Aces&Eights

Titanfall was most likely released as soon as the oven timer dinged. After the debacle of E3 2013, MS needed a big game right now. I'm sure they would have loved to hold that one till Nov.

Hoje0308

Banned
I'm not sure anyone knows really. Despite how awesome of a console the PS4 is its holiday exclusive lineup is......somewhat lacking. But exclusives are far from the only thing that sells systems as Destiny just showed.

That being said its 2015 lineup. Hot damn.

What's confirmed beyond BB, The Order and U4? I assume Everyone's Gone to the Rapture and No Man's Sky are there too, but obviously that's just my guess.

So as we have to burn time and posts until such a time as the attention is shifted from this thread, how about a terrible estimate for PS4 WW sales?

From my post here on US|WW ratios of PS4 sales, sales in 2014 of PS4 have wavered between as little as 30% of WW sales being in the US to as much as 38%.

While the most recent data suggests a 30% US|WW ratio of sales I would qualify that in that time period [from April to August] PS4 was introduced to 28 more markets and while small likely weighed down the rest of the world's share. I think ~34% or higher for the US's share is likely between August 11th and October 4th.

PS4 US LTD since August 10th ~= 681k

At 34% US|WW Ratio, WW sales of PS4 between August 11th and October 4th would be ~2003k, a little over 2M

At 38% US|WW Ratio, WW sales of PS4 between August 11th and October 4th would be ~1792k

So likely the PS4 either approached or surpassed 12M sold through WW as of the beginning of October

That sounds about right. 10 million as of August, maybe 600k during the rest of that month, and 1.3-1.4 in September.

I believe you have a similar approach to X1 WW sales right? Have you updated that?

Huh, interesting.. I haven't really followed this sales race nonsense in a while but the Xbox One is only one million behind the PS4 now? They've made quite the strides, last I saw PS4 had closer to a 2 to 1 ratio.

Even in the US, Microsoft aren't gaining any ground on Sony. The gap is getting wider.

GHG

Gold Member
Is this correct? So the market us shrinking in the US?

Can't really say that.

Back in 2007 there were 3 truly competitive consoles.

Now there are just 2.

Year on year sales for hardware are 136% up. That is not indicative of a shrinking market.

Verendus

Banned
What's confirmed beyond BB, The Order and U4? I assume Everyone's Gone to the Rapture and No Man's Sky are there too, but obviously that's just my guess.
Only Uncharted 4 is confirmed for Holiday 2015 at the moment. That's like 5 Killzones, or 3 Bloodbornes.

As you can see, it's having a tremendous effect already. People are thirsty for Nathan. The Shogun is already blinded.

Edit:

You forgot Until Dawn as well.

And there will be others. Overall very nice. Hell Uncharted 4 alone is enough to make me stoked.
And with that, friend Shogun has confirmed his thirst.

You forgot Until Dawn as well.

And there will be others. Overall very nice. Hell Uncharted 4 alone is enough to make me stoked.

Hoje0308

Banned
Only Uncharted 4 is confirmed for Holiday 2015 at the moment. That's like 5 Killzones, or 3 Bloodbornes.

As you can see, it's having a tremendous effect already. People are thirsty for Nathan. The Shogun is already blinded.

I'm buying all of them, so it really doesn't matter when they release I guess, but damn I'm excited for NMS.

He works for Sony. If you read his history he likes to reverse troll and make jokes that require a knowledge of a lot of call backs he makes to various other real and fake troll posts. He is like the inception of fake troll posts^^

word. is that supposed to be the mad scientist version of heihachi in your avy

I maintain that excluding consumers from market comparisons to maintain a view that the market is not diminished doesn't hold water
It's not to maintain a view that the dedicated market is not diminished.

No one is saying that everything's hunky dory.

No one with eyes can't see that the dedicated console space, both home and handheld, hasn't diminished from the height of plastic peripherals and the Wii sales phenomenon.

I'm not sure what kind of strawman you're trying to build to light on fire.

But the sales of the PS4 and XB1 being considered good isn't some lowered expectation. It's realistic given the segments retained in the market. Those prior to the expansion. Those still present given it's correction or collapse if one prefers after that expansion. They're good in a historical context. They're good given the current environment.

There isn't any expectation of the PS4 to sell like the Wii, because it's a very different system serving a very different market.

As for handhelds and home consoles, I'd treat them separately because again, they serve different markets, they're influenced differently by different environmental impacts. Lumping them together doesn't make for a particularly insightful discussion. It makes no sense to talk about the 400K handhelds sold in Sept 2012 vs the 150K sold this Sept as if it's of particularly strong relevance to the home market.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
2007 was like the peak of the bubble economy, so almost every market sector is somewhat down since then. Including video games.
People need to remember that while the Great Recession is technically over, 95% of people in the US are not better off than before it.

I think video games are more protected by recessions than other industries, but not entirely.

I'm not confirming anything Wii U-wise.

But you're not not confirming it.

osXsRFS.gif

PS4 is selling bonkers units. That's really impressive. Good job, Sony.

Also I'm really pleased with Smash, Hyrule Warriors, and Wii U sales numbers/growth. I like those things a lot and therefore I'm happy that they're succeeding.

Good number for Smash and Hyrule, but the Wii U is NOT succeeding. Awful sales, and I think it's highly unlikely there will be a turn around on that front.

He works for Sony. If you read his history he likes to reverse troll and make jokes that require a knowledge of a lot of call backs he makes to various other real and fake troll posts. He is like the inception of fake troll posts^^

He's like the EatChildren of regular posters. :p

What did I just read? Good lord, are there really people that insane? Faked NPD numbers, MS being a power for good (lol) and did that somehow link Obam's failures to MS, and the videogame industry? I would laugh but my faith in humanity sunk so low that if I did I might suffer a psychotic break

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom