• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.O.P

Banned
There won't be a Horizon 3.

nope.gif

I can tell you many examples where Chartz's historical data is extremely unreliable and painfully wrong.

You cannot trust them with ANYTHING related to USA / EU sales.

I'm sure you are right about that. Since they are not transparent on what data is from official sources and what is generated by their "model", you can never take the numbers to the bank.

BrunoM

There will always be a profitable market for console sim racers.

Not niche arcades ones like FH2 though.
Because there are to many of them

But the real sim ones is a very short list

But even if I think your right about FH2 I think if Need For Speed Underground 3 would be made it would sell like crazy

So it's possible that DI 2.0 sold less than 200K even with the Marvel characters!?
44245a77.gif

edit:

Disney Infinity 1.0 sold 294K so if the numbers are lower that means interest in the franchise may be decaying.
Infinity 2.0 dropped the second best selling SKU (the Wii), so it's not really surprising there's a big decrease. I'd guess it's a short term hit towards trying to transition the audience for longer term gain.
There's also a free version on PC and soon iOS apparently. It's also not really a front-loaded franchise, so we'll probably need to wait and see how it does on consoles over a longer period of time.

Hindle

Banned
There will always be a profitable market for console sim racers.

Not niche arcades ones like FH2 though.

MS never go overboard in terms of budget for any of thier Forza games, and the marketing is kept relatively small. This allows them to make profit easy.

Horizon 2 will sell enough to greenlight a Horizon 3.

Jburton

Banned
So PS4 out sold X1 by roughly 2:1, even when MS where giving away a free game and the console was cheaper than the PS4?

It truly does seem that cant even give it away. I predict (not that hard) that Sony dominate NPD this entire holiday and do around 3m- 3.5m in sales from Sept through to Jan.

X1 will do around 1-1.5m...... that 2:1 is here to stay i feel., especially with 2015 being the first year Sony first party starts to come good.

C4Lukins

So just a few comments.

Great numbers for PS4. I expected at least a 100k victory for Sony, but over 500k in September is impressive. XOne was also higher then expected, but there is no doubt Sonys marketing deal with Destiny was huge.

Just an observation on the EA games. I am not surprised that PS4 is doing better at selling EA retail games simply because of a larger user base, but people are ignoring the effect of EA Access on XOne. You essentially get EA games a few days earlier, and with a 10% discount on the MS system which encourages a higher level of digital downloads for said games. Not to say that MS is selling more EA games, but they are probably more digital heavy with their sales.

Also I have noticed a few comments about how anyone who is interested in Halo for instance has already bought the system. The fact that Destiny did so much to increase sales for both systems should discredit that notion. Not to mention Halo 3 and how it gave the 360 such a major bump. Yes many people buy systems in anticipation for their favorite franchises, but history has shown us that many wait for the game they want to be released before taking the plunge.

No matter how you look at it though PS4 is kicking some butt. Wii U is looking really bad, and XOne is doing ok.

botty

Banned
Infinity 2.0 dropped the second best selling SKU (the Wii), so it's not really surprising there's a big decrease. I'd guess it's a short term hit towards trying to transition the audience for longer term gain.
There's also a free version on PC and soon iOS apparently. It's also not really a front-loaded franchise, so we'll probably need to wait and see how it does on consoles over a longer period of time.

Yes, if they ever give us numbers again.

Did IGN forget about NPD today?

I can't see a mention anywhere on the front page.

People don't seem to care about it on reddit either, I posted something about the PS4 having the best September debut ever and in the top 3 September results of all time, but it just got downvoted and people were replying about how a console with 'no games' doesn't deserve this success.

People don't seem to care about it on reddit either, I posted something about the PS4 having the best September debut ever and in the top 3 September results of all time, but it just got downvoted and people were replying about how a console with 'no games' doesn't deserve this success.

Ugh.

No point in discussing it outside of GAF.

orochi91

That's unfortunate. Those folks are missing out on some great perspective and insights on the gaming industry.

Their loss.

It's only September, not like it was a big month in videogame sales or anything

Found it

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/16/playstation-4-destiny-dominate-us-sales-charts

Damn that article is buried way down there lol

RexNovis

Banned
MS never go overboard in terms of budget for any of thier Forza games, and the marketing is kept relatively small. This allows them to make profit easy.

Ok. I call total bullshit here. Forza is heavily advertised. Unless you have actual information to back this claim up you had bet retract that statement. Stop spreading total FUD.

wolfhowwl

Banned

Are multiplats no longer considered games out there?

killatopak

Gold Member
What the fuck. I'm still at page 22 but it's a storm of SALT. Hoping it dies down by the time I catch up.

Love that "Sad day for America" post and gif though.

botty

Banned
I am expecting the Skylander's to slip a bit too. I think the whole toys-to-life game market is starting to fatigue. It is ridiculously expensive and the novelty is wearing off.

You'll know they are fading when they stop bragging about their numbers and when the PR becomes suspect.

orochi91

Because there are to many of them

But the real sim ones is a very short list

But even if I think your right about FH2 I think if Need For Speed Underground 3 would be made it would sell like crazy

Need for Speed has that history and brand recognition. It will usually always sell well.

Especially since it's multipatform.

How do you know their development and marketing budgets?

Ok. I call total bullshit here. Forza is heavily advertised. Unless you have actual information to back this claim up you had bet retract that statement. Stop spreading total FUD.

Exactly.

The r/Games section of it can be somewhat reasonable. If you want to really see bizzare stuff, head to r/xboxone. That sub man, it's crazy

I really thought XBO could do better, Destiny is clearly the kind of games that Microsoft fans love.

Now, i think the European numbers will be dramatic for the Xbox One.

The only good news is that the Xbox One will be available at 299$ in 2015 IMO.

baekshi

Banned

Yeah, right.

They get First Class service also, stop lying to yourself.

So this NPD thread is officially the 6th longest and should easily slip into the Top 5. I strongly expect at least a fourth place finish if not in fact Top 3.

Jack cw

That's it? Is this supposed to be the NPD sales day PR?

The sales gap is around 1 million in NA after 9 months. The PS4 sold more units with a multiplatform title than Microsoft did with Halo 3 in 2007. PS4 continues to be the console everyone wants and Microsoft basically bought a huge part of all Destiny copies on xbone themselves in order to chart in NPD. They maybe accepted that this battle is over and honestly, after getting beaten nearly 2:1 in a month like September in NA didn't give them much confidence either for the next few months. FH2 didn't make it into the top 10, Destiny had to be heavily subsidised to chart, FIFA, Madden, etc. performed even worse than PS3 on xbone. So this depressing PR is not surprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom