• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

GlamFM

Banned
I can't see Horizon 2 selling anywhere near 1 million in its lifetime.

There won't be a Horizon 3.

I can. Racing games tend to sell better in Europe + digital + bundles, 1 mil easily.

I'm not sure if that's even enough though.

Very disappointing.

MS never go overboard in terms of budget for any of thier Forza games, and the marketing is kept relatively small. This allows them to make profit easy.

Horizon 2 will sell enough to greenlight a Horizon 3.

That is nonsense I'm afraid.

Like I said before, in the UK, for the past 3 weeks I think FH2 has been the most advertised game in the UK with the same ad on TV constantly.

More advertising than FIFA or any other game. The marketing budget for the game will definitely not be reflected in the meagre sales.

Are multiplats no longer considered games out there?

A lot of people are under the impression that multiplats couldn't possibly be the reason PS4 is selling since they're also on X1/Last Gen. Of course, this ignores all evidence but hey, that seems to be what's going on. People just can't grasp the fact that the PS4 is the multiplat console of choice this gen

orochi91

Good news for consumers of course. Microsoft will still lose a good chunk of money on each system sold. Can't be in their interest.

If anything, that will probably force Sony to hit the $299 price point. That's the sweet spot it seems.

Oh man, PS4 selling this well at $399+, I can't imagine the number it will do at $299.

PS2/Wii days here we come!

ascar

Neo Member
Pretty disappointing numbers for Sony tbh. With all the positive buzz around the console and hype surrounding Destiny I would guessed for about twice that. Xbox One really isn't that far behind considering the rough start they got. Pachter may not have been right but he was pretty close, and October NPDs should be interesting.

Yeah, with the Xbox One outselling half of what ps4 has sold, it's almost as if it has outsold the ps2

BrunoM

Need for Speed has that history and brand recognition. It will usually always sell well.

Especially since it's multipatform.

Yeah agreed
Just like GTA is de open world game and COD is de FPS game I think the Underground series is what all these last few years arcade racing games the nfs's the FH's etc they are just trying to be what underground was the open world the story the custom things you can do to your car teams and all all these games are trying to be what need for speed underground was
They just forget the most important part of the underground games the damn FUN IT WAS a blast !!

On that note I need a Need For Speed Underground game lol

T.O.P

Banned
The r/Games section of it can be somewhat reasonable. If you want to really see bizzare stuff, head to r/xboxone. That sub man, it's crazy

As someone who visit that sub reddit pretty much at least once a day, what's so bad about it?

Most of the discussions are quite decent, some hyperboles but nothing you won't find on gaf as well

Happy to see Mordor do reasonably well, disappointed that Horizon, yet again, didn't make it into the charts.

Such a shame to see a great game go unappreciated so.

I'm sure Bungie will be happy with those sales, even if the game was a disaster that cemented them nothing more than a one trick pony who fell into a Halo stupor and weren't able to claw their way back out.

Maybe if PS4 wins again, or something crazy like that.

It definitely will if ps4 wins.

If that's the case then it'll definitely be the biggest

I don't know about that

Code:
Thread		                                      Replies 	Views
NPD Sales Results for March 2014 [Up4: FFX/X-2 HD] 	7,109	901,836

A tall order yes, but I think it might happen. If not November, then I don't see any month getting as much buzz till maybe whenever UC4/Halo release... especially if they're in the same month (or UC4/TR would be even better)

Hindle

Banned
That's unfortunate. Those folks are missing out on some great perspective and insights on the gaming industry.

Their loss.

Damn that article is buried way down there lol

Forza would not be an annual series if MS were spending $100m per game lol. It's just basic common sense that they don't spend a huge budget really.

A tall order yes, but I think it might happen. If not November, then I don't see any month getting as much buzz till maybe whenever UC4/Halo release... especially if they're in the same month (or UC4/TR would be even better)

If PS4 were to lose a month I could possibly see that maybe. I don't really feel that PS4 will lose a month anytime soon though. November is MS's strongest chance but PS4 really does seem to have strong mindshare. The Destiny bundle appears to be selling well even in October. XB1's most recent AAA exclusive FH2 doesn't seem to have had much effect. I mean we're very close to getting into really bad snowballing effect situations I feel with PS4 vs. XB1. PS4 will likely win October and the gap between systems will be greater than 1M units most likely. That's a million more people on PS4 with friends wanting new systems and so on

EGOMON

did anyone knows how much GT6 actually sold?

By GT standards it is the worse in the series but compared to other racing games it done fairly good i mean it keeps showing in EU charts every week and Gran Turismo games known for their long legs.

GT7 almost guaranteed to do very well:
- First GT game on PS4
- GT6 was hampered by PS4 launch, GT7 will have all the marketing and focus
- The idea of letting PD go nuts with PS4 hardware is just endless opportunities

Jack cw

Damn.

UK stands at around 50 or 70k. MS did their job with marketing this time round, guess people just aren't interested in the Horizon IP.

Time to resurrect PGR and RSC, MS.

Too bad Bizarre Creations are out of the Microsoft Game Studios now. PGR is still my favourite racing series.

Kodros

Had a little twitter discussion with Kevin Dent earlier and he said that the free game promotion that the XBone had didn't count as software sales because ....

"Was. Not. Booked. As. A. Full. Registered. Sale. Because. It. Is. Not. In. Accordance. With. GAAP. Or. SEC. Laws."

I don't know crap about this so I don't know what to believe.

Qvoth

I asked Pachter what happened:

didn’t find the Destiny bundle that compelling (it was only a $10 discount)

he just doesn't get it does he, it's the white sku, not about the discount that makes the bundle so appealing
i'm sure there's plenty of people not even interested in destiny bought the bundle just for the ps4

sam777

Damn.

UK stands at around 50 or 70k. MS did their job with marketing this time round, guess people just aren't interested in the Horizon IP.

Time to resurrect PGR and RSC, MS.

Just the first week in UK. Also I wouldn't be surprised if Driveclub charts for October even though the online is broken.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
How close was the guy with the angles? I think I know the big 3 since #s were explicitly stated (he was slightly off on those), but I wanted to know the smaller 3.

My guess is
no U =~ 10% of cream's avatar sales
been replaced =~ 20% of cream's avatar sales
I went in a circle =~ 41% of cream's avatar sales (hopefully this makes sense...)

C4Lukins

That is nonsense I'm afraid.

Like I said before, in the UK, for the past 3 weeks I think FH2 has been the most advertised game in the UK with the same ad on TV constantly.

More advertising than FIFA or any other game. The marketing budget for the game will definitely not be reflected in the meagre sales.

I agree with you on Forza. I think the franchise has always been a fantastic series, but the retail sales have never blown anyone away. I do think it potentially is still very profitable for MS.

The series tends to become a free pack in after the first few months, and it has a ton of microtransaction elements that make it more of a free to play game with long legs after the fact. So maybe they sell a couple of million at retail worldwide, and then they give away several million copies with the hope that a significant amount of people will spend money inside the game.

The model must work, or they never would have gone to making it a yearly franchise.

Had a little twitter discussion with Kevin Dent earlier and he said that the free game promotion that the XBone had didn't count as software sales because ....

"Was. Not. Booked. As. A. Full. Registered. Sale. Because. It. Is. Not. In. Accordance. With. GAAP. Or. SEC. Laws."

Lol kevin dent

Yeah, the free games from the promotion count for sure towards software units sold but the revenue generated by them as tracked by NPD may not be the full cost of the game

sam777

he just doesn't get it does he, it's the white sku, not about the discount that makes the bundle so appealing
i'm sure there's plenty of people not even interested in destiny bought the bundle just for the ps4

So you think the Xbox One will have an extraodinary October because of their white SKU?

Wait what?

What does GAAP have anything to do with how NPD / Microsoft records software sales?

RexNovis

Banned
Forza would not be an annual series if MS were spending $100m per game lol. It's just basic common sense that they don't spend a huge budget really.

So in other words you don't know anything and are pulling stuff out your ass to diminish the impact of low sales. How about you stop that.

GlamFM

Banned
Really happy with the incredible Destiny sales.

Although flawed it is my current addiction and absolutely my GOTY so far.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN

I could be wrong, but if the game were to show up on the receipt as a separate item, wouldn't it count? Does anyone who took advantage of the free game deal feel like digging out their receipt and checking?

So you think the Xbox One will have an extraodinary October because of their white SKU?

Quite possibly, yes. Although probably not as much as the white ps4 did seeing as how the xbone is a less desirable console based on sales.

If PS4 were to lose a month I could possibly see that maybe. I don't really feel that PS4 will lose a month anytime soon though. November is MS's strongest chance but PS4 really does seem to have strong mindshare. The Destiny bundle appears to be selling well even in October. XB1's most recent AAA exclusive FH2 doesn't seem to have had much effect. I mean we're very close to getting into really bad snowballing effect situations I feel with PS4 vs. XB1. PS4 will likely win October and the gap between systems will be greater than 1M units most likely. That's a million more people on PS4 with friends wanting new systems and so on

I just can't bring myself to seeing the MCC as a big system seller, however what I do think is that MS is going go in big time in Nov. While the MCC itself might not move as many systems, I could see some mad BF deals happening that really get things moving.

Like you said, what MS must fear the most at the moment is the network effect kicking in more and more. It's how the 360 came to dominate NA last gen. So I think they will do their best to slow down the PS4.

With that said, the reason I believe the PS4 will win November is because I think Sony is going to impress with some good deals of their own. A lot of people seem to expect that they'll sit back and do nothing while MS is giving away multiple games and cutting prices. I don't think that'll be the case and I don't think Sony will be complacent. They know they're ahead, and they know that they can't let momentum slow down now. They also must know that MS is going to be pushing hard. So far, they've marketed the PS4 excellently and I don't see why that would change in November.

Mrbob

Assume everything Kevin Dent states is hot garbage and don't listen to the clown.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom