• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lemondish

I have seen a lot of GAF hype but little in the way of mass marketing.

I predict this game to have some staying power. The nemesis system isn't exactly something that's easy to show off in a 30 second trailer. I'm intrigued simply because of the stories I keep reading from here and reddit.

I'm still playing a shit ton of Destiny, though, so I shouldn't exactly buy another game I'm just going to ignore when I can wait and potentially get it a little cheaper down the line.

I'm so disappointed that Pachter wasn't right. No epic meltdowns :-/

Where have you been? This thread has been filled with them.

Just not for the reason you're expecting. We had tons of no games comments, a few doomsayers claiming Sony will be dead in a few years so it's okay, and a whole ton of "WAIT SO DESTINY SOLD BETTER ON X1?!"

EGM1966

Forza would not be an annual series if MS were spending $100m per game lol. It's just basic common sense that they don't spend a huge budget really.

You're evaluating it as a "normal" game bound by normal performance considerations. I suspect this is a mistake. Forza, like say Killzone, exists as a "must" have exclusive franchise where the console provider feels they're weaker than the competition.

This means it's much more likely to get unduly high funding/marketing vs actual sales (and to be blunt I'm not just talking FH2 - look at advertising presence for Forza in general and the high level of bundling as well as the undeniable quality and high investment in each title and it's obvious that MS are investing heavily in the title as a key pillar franchise to help them grow internationally.

I doubt in total Forza has returned much profit at all for MS - not saying it's not profitable but there's zero reason to see it as some cheap to produce franchise that turns a high profit..

The good news is as such the franchise isn't bound to normal succeed/fail criteria - so long as MS holds an hope of doing well in Europe they will likely invest in the franchise particularly if the quality remains high (because it is a very good franchise).

The bad news though is that, on current trends, this is going to be a brutal gen for the franchise sales wise. Xbox is showing severe retraction in Europe (and UK for those that see it separately) as a brand and this is where the franchise should have highest appeal as a genre so it's going to have an uphill struggle this gen for sales/marketshare.

For example I wouldn't be surprised if Driveclub outperforms it merely due to platform of sale vs anything to do with DriveClub quality (good or bad though they game may be).

I'm not just trying to bash here though - I've always wondered whether Killzone has ever turned any significant profit either. It clearly costs a lot from what I've read and is advertised and bundled heavily just like Forza as Sony tried to grow it as an FPS franchise to compete with MS dominance (in general previous two gens) in that genre. Forza is MS attempt to compete with Gran Turismo dominance and give their customers a viable alternative if they forego Playstation and by extension access to GT.

I really think you're viewing the franchise wrong, including likely FH2 costs and profitability.

Nah, it would be easy PR (slightly slimey)

Biggest month of the year for the XB1, and Destiny sold best on XB1 according to NPD.
It sold best in the US for retail only and probably by a small margin too. PS4 combined with bundles and digital will have easily beaten the X1 sales total. That's my Pachter predication! Except this one is true

280k is amazing, not many people can see the seeds of a comeback and it's a good start because the exclusive content on the Bone hasn't even started yet.

When it rains it pours.

botty

Banned
Aquamaqueen, please spill the tea on Disney Infinity 2.0

MaLHm8Z.png

Tubie

This email stuff is fun!

Let me give it another try, with some super-precise, ultra-secret, 100% confirmed numbers.

Numbers are in the email tags, quote to see, no chartz lurkers allowed

Wii U sold:

Madden NFL 15 sold:

GTA V sold:

Omg WiiU comeback confirmed!!!

Saty

Aqua, do you have data on Sims 4 vs Sims 3 first month? Or any kind of insight of Sims 4 WW performance. With Sims 3 they announced 1M copies world wide after 7 days. EA have been radio silent of Sims 4 sales and it hard not to think it massively underperformed.

I hereby toss my hat into the ring for email tags. Awesome way to minimize lurker/leaker exposure.

As long as posters don't post the numbers openly afterwards, or at least don't point to the poster from whom the numbers came. That will provide an extra layer of security, I think

Heck, if all numbers are kept behind email tags then they'll stay just on GAF

Agreed on all counts. You know, I just don't understand why MS wasn't able to secure a $399 CoD bundle. I feel that could have really helped out a lot. Driveclub, I think, won't do too hot in NA, but it'll have alright WW sales.

At this point the GTAV bundle really is sort of a wildcard. If Sony brings it over and say prices it at $399 for BF, then there's no way they don't win, unless MS has some seriously amazing deal under their sleeve (which wouldn't surprise me). Imagine a $350 X1 with MCC and a year of gold, maybe even an extra game thrown in (SO or FH2)? Hell, if they have that deal I will buy one this year

Yeah I dunno why MS went with another $499 SKU. I'm like 98% sure if MS wanted they could've made a SKU with COD for $399 which would've done great. Maybe COD being the big game it is costs more to make bundles then say AC Unity and Black Flag? I mean it's ridiculous that MS is going to be pushing out a new bundle in November in the UK that costs 429 GBP again [~689.72 USD] I mean that's the same price the PS3 was launched at in the UK and that thing had like an $800 BOM to sell at $600.

Black Friday sales are overrated in my opinion. I think a GTAV bundle for $449 with a strong supply would do very well. I also feel that Sony might want to try and ramp it up this holiday season and start going $399 with a game, not because they feel competition or all that but because they want the install base to rise.

What MS will do this holiday season should be interesting to watch. I feel they've played themselves fairly conservatively, always trying to thread the needle with deals so as not to devalue their product [not sure it worked]. I am curious if they will offer a hard price cut or simply continue bundles and retailer offers

Custom consoles ain't cheap. Even if it's just some paint job, you generally incur a higher than average cost to production because you run in lower quantities than your normal run.

EGOMON

This email stuff is fun!
Let me give it another try, with some super-precise, ultra-secret, 100% confirmed numbers.
Wii U sold:

Madden NFL 15 sold:

GTA V sold:

Wow @ GTA V, PS4 GTA V bundle will neutralize everything MS will do in November

USC-fan

Banned
This email stuff is fun!

Wii U sold:

Madden NFL 15 sold:

GTA V sold:

Agree no one should repost!!!! Great idea!!!

Funny gta v is the only ps4 game I have.preorder ed this fall.amazing game.

RexNovis

Banned
As long as posters don't post the numbers openly afterwards, or at least don't point to the poster from whom the numbers came. That will provide an extra layer of security, I think

Yep I honestly had no idea email tags existed. Seems like a perfect solution provided reposts are well policed by mods. It's a great way to protect our insiders.

Email tags FTW

Yep I honestly had no idea email tags existed. Seems like a perfect solution provided reposts are well policed by mods. It's a great way to protect our insiders.

and it's almost like secret agent level badassness B) Email tags FTW

Yup, and I don't know if it'd be possible but maybe make posting numbers openly bannable? Just keep all (official) number discussion in email tags..... might too extreme though.

Cels

they're already been copy pasted on chartzzzz, i don't really see the point of posting them in email tags

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
280k is amazing, not many people can see the seeds of a comeback and it's a good start because the exclusive content on the Bone hasn't even started yet.

When it rains it pours.

Basicly, Microsoft needs to tap that untapped Halo crowd that hasn't been won over by the promise of future Halo-titles, Titanfall, Destiny and Call of Duty. That crowd is just ripe for the taking.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Great great figures for PS4. this is the first 2014 month when to me it is able to repeat the outstanding debut numbers. those are some crazy Wii numbers.
Xbone good but clearly behind.
Wii U is less dead than we could have figured out some months ago, but still...
Also the 3DS is lowering its results, I think that not launching the new model was a mistake.
Vita? definetely dead?
Great numbers for destiny and smash, good for Mordor and Hyrule!

logikk

Neo Member
Yeah I dunno why MS went with another $499 SKU. I'm like 98% sure if MS wanted they could've made a SKU with COD for $399 which would've done great. Maybe COD being the big game it is costs more to make bundles then say AC Unity and Black Flag? I mean it's ridiculous that MS is going to be pushing out a new bundle in November in the UK that costs 429 GBP again [~689.72 USD] I mean that's the same price the PS3 was launched at in the UK and that thing had like an $800 BOM to sell at $600.

Black Friday sales are overrated in my opinion. I think a GTAV bundle for $449 with a strong supply would do very well. I also feel that Sony might want to try and ramp it up this holiday season and start going $399 with a game, not because they feel competition or all that but because they want the install base to rise.

What MS will do this holiday season should be interesting to watch. I feel they've played themselves fairly conservatively, always trying to thread the needle with deals so as not to devalue their product [not sure it worked]. I am curious if they will offer a hard price cut or simply continue bundles and retailer offers

The COD bundle has a 1TB hard drive, so pretty sure that's why it's more (and they can charge more for COD prob). Still have SO bundle and AC bundle for less and could prob just buy COD and an extra hard drive, for similar price as COD bundle.

I personally also think the COD bundle looks dumb, but that's just me.

they're already been copy pasted on chartzzzz, i don't really see the point of posting them in email tags

It still reduces the risk. Because say for example someone links to post with Aquamarine or creamsugar's numbers. Well with email tags that post will show nothing so it'll be meaningless to most. I'd say that helps somewhat

284k is not good at all in an essentially two-console market. The advertising budget, I presume, must have been huge in September and the deals they have been offering.

I mean Xbone getting outsold by 270k. Which means there is more or less a 1 million gap between the consoles in NA alone now.
270k gap? This can't be right.
I mean Hindle said...

I see people posting predictions that have the PS4 like 300k ahead of the X1 lol, despite all the deals and free games MS handed out. The PS4 will win, but by 50-80k units or so, that's it.

This NPD will be close regardless. There isn't going to be much between the two consoles.

68Ycm9t.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom