• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Man I still remember the days when NPD leaks would result in full publisher listings. Like we knew when a game sold only 32 copies in a month. It was information overload. I loved it.

There seriously needs to be a company that brings more transparency to this industry. It's bullshit.

God damn guys, last night we were having fun with the e-mail tags, one poster going into Meltdown mode and getting numbers for consoles. Now fast forward to tonight and some god damn assholes fucked up our ability to get numbers.... how the hell do you people do it?

.. how the hell do you people do it?

content-marketing-tips-iron-man-jericho-missile.gif.gif

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
So arrogant sony will ride on. How's that "free" version of drive club, suspend/resume, and good ps4 titles on ps+?
lol, I can see a little cartoon storm cloud above your head as you grit your teeth to type this.

On topic, I am incredibly sad to hear that our insiders have left. Kind of like when Shinobi took his first ban, and Pete Dodd got banned due to the DriveClub stuff, it is the end of an era.

Man I still remember the days when NPD leaks would result in full publisher listings. Like we knew when a game sold only 32 copies in a month. It was information overload. I loved it.

There seriously needs to be a company that brings more transparency to this industry. It's bullshit.

That would have been a great time indeed. I missed all of that.

Anth0ny

hey guys what's goin o-

creamsugar lost his source.

Aquamarine took on a 3-month self-imposed ban because of various reasons, contributed by some members of GAF not being able to come to a level-headed consensus of how to talk about leaks.

Dark times ahead for those who want leaks.

lukeshockdjkz2.gif

oSoLucky

Crazy how a few mis-steps can really change the course of a generation. Microsoft has course corrected and then some and it really doesn't seem to be making a lick of difference. This holiday was really there best chance due to poor planning and circumstances on Sony's part and it doesn't seem to matter. If COD ends up selling more on PS4 It'll really be a changing of the guard here in the states. I know quite a few people who are holding out on PS4 until Uncharted hits.

It has probably made a difference. The XB1 is selling decently. It could very well be selling terribly if there were no changes.

ethomaz

Banned
I don't get the whole drama... I was off all the day.

But you are in a public forum and it happen to have a leak then it is public and can be discussed, linked, posted in any other place.

If anybody else wants a private leak please make a private mail, whatsapp or Facebook group.

If you don't want to leak then don't leak... now if you leak in a publics place it is public... so stop to complain.

I was one of that disagree with the case of Gamecrate... they public on the Internet and everybody have access... so it was public... we can talk, discuss, share, link the place were we want.

I'm sorry if some guy will fell I'm being an asshole but it is how I think public place works.

I will be glad if the leakers continue to leak but it will be fine if they won't do it anymore... it is their choice... just don't put the reason over the community.

orochi91

I don't get the he hole drama... I was off all the day.

But you are in a public forum and it happen to have a leak then it is public and can be discussed, liked, posted in any other place.

If anybody else wants a private leak please make a private mail, whatsapp or Facebook group.

If you don't want to leak then don't leak... now if you leak in a publics place it is public... so stop to complain.

I was one of that disagree with the case of Gamecrate... they public on the Internet and everybody have access... so it was public... we can talk, discuss, share, like the place were we want.

I'm sorry if some guy will fell I'm being an asshole but it is how I think public place works.

Unfortunately it doesn't work that way.

Come to terms with that reality.

But you are in a public forum and it happen to have a leak then it is public and can be discussed, liked, posted in any other place.

I was one of that disagree with the case of Gamecrate... they public on the Internet and everybody have access... so it was public... we can talk, discuss, share, like the place were we want.

Glad this place technically isn't a public place.
Considering you need a private non-free e-mail account to actually post in the forums and whatnot...
If people just want Gaffers to get the info then there should be ways to allow it.

Sami+

NPD doesn't want GAF talking about NPD without paying for NPD.

Do you want to pay? Probably not. Do you want to talk about it? Too bad.

That's how it works. The email system would have helped both us and them carry on like usual. Now we've lost Aqua (one of our best fucking members, and I'm pissed as hell about this), and Cream won't be posting anymore either.

What a miserable fucking day.

what did this thread turn into??

It turned from happy go lucky hilariousness to down right grim due to the reality setting in that we lost our sources for numbers and the Holiday season is right around the corner. Not even home made pie can bring back the joy of watching someone go batshit crazy over numbers.

Kuro

We might not get explicit numbers for the holidays but we should be able to get close approximations from PR and Twitter I think.

ethomaz

Banned
Glad this place technically isn't a public place.
Considering you need a private non-free e-mail account to actually post in the forums and whatnot...
If people just want Gaffers to get the info then there should be ways to allow it.
All threads are public... anybody can read... it have private member registration but the discussion, content, leaks are public.

If you leak something in GAF you need to know eve body will read, talk, share, etc.

That is what happen when this place have a respectable view in the whole gaming community... think in GAF as Hollywood big actor... what happens here is public.

NPD doesn't want GAF talking about NPD without paying for NPD.

Do you want to pay? Probably not. Do you want to talk about it? Too bad.

That's how it works. The email system would have helped both us and them carry on like usual. Now we've lost Aqua (one of our best fucking members, and I'm pissed as hell about this), and Cream won't be posting anymore either.

What a miserable fucking day.
I understand the side of the NPD and they have the rights to pressure and ask that... it is private information.

Now if anybody leaks this information in a public place then it become a public leak and there is no way to ask to others people to not talk, share, link, etc... it is wrong to to that.

I'm with you... it wads terrible day... I like Aqua a lot and I will her but she maybe wanted to create a private group for discussion in a public place... that won't ever work... it is the internet.

Now I believe Creamsugar is like Batman... he will always found a way to cheese.

I wouldn't engage with ethomaz in regards to how open or obfuscated NPD leaks on gaf should be considering he is directly responsible for collating the leaks on gaf and linking to that collation on chartz for the August NPD results almost assuredly increasing the notoriety of those leaks in the process.

Sure someone else would likely have done it instead and will continue to do so assuming anything of interest gets leaked but I'm certain it exacerbated the problem

Edit: Ugh the link has chartz so won't work. Try this instead or post 6669566 on chartz

All threads are public... anybody can read... it have private member registration but the discussion, content, leaks are public.

If you leak something in GAF you need to know eve body will read, talk, share, etc.

That is what happen when this place have a respectable view in the whole gaming community... think in GAF as Hollywood big actor... what happens here is public.

Being able to read the discussion is public, but that doesn't mean the public can see (or is entitled) all the information. I rather we let leakers feel it is safe to leak information than not to.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
I wouldn't engage with ethomaz in regards to how open or obfuscated NPD leaks on gaf should be considering he is directly responsible for collating the leaks on gaf and linking to that collation on chartz for the August NPD results almost assuredly increasing the notoriety of those leaks in the process.

Sure someone else would likely have done it instead and will continue to do so assuming anything of interest gets leaked but I'm certain it exacerbated the problem

Ah!

ethomaz

Banned

Edit: Ugh the link has chartz so won't work. Try this instead
I see no issue here ;) are you trying to say I did something wrong?

From my personal perspective, I'm not looking at it so much as protecting the information, but rather protecting our fellow GAFers.

If someone wanted that information out there, it's easy to get it out. And even amongst our members, I don't know any of you all well enough ( even from the perspective of an internet forum ) to trust you unabidedly that you wouldn't tweet out what you learned in the NPD threads to the world. Aqua even said it's not meant to prevent the information from getting out of GAF, because frankly, this method wouldn't work if that was the intent.

A little empathy goes a long way. Aquamarine's not a robot printing out NPD numbers for us, she's our waifu. :p

I see no issue here ;)

Perhaps it is not as noticeable to others as I have had some limited personal communication with Aqua, but she had been hinting for quite some time that NPD had been becoming more interested and active towards NPD leaks as of the last couple months. Hence the post summaries removal although that also likely had to do with a certain member's tweeting habits. In either case, it was clear that the notoriety of the leaks were likely becoming an increasing concern. As such if one is truly interested in learning the actual relevant sales data I would hope they would try to limit its notoriety as much as possible.

But yes it's merely my opinion of course

ethomaz

Banned
Perhaps it is not as noticeable to others as I have had some limited personal communication with Aqua, but she had been hinting for quite some time that NPD had been becoming more interested and active towards NPD leaks as of the last couple months. Hence the post summaries removal although that also likely had to do with a certain member's tweeting habits. In either case, it was clear that the notoriety of the leaks were likely becoming an increasing concern. As such if one is truly interested in learning the actual relevant sales data I would hope they would try to limit its notoriety as much as possible.

But yes it's merely my opinion of course
I think you did a good job with the summaries every month and she made a friend ask and it was fine but you wasn't doing anything wrong too.

A leaker not become popular is something a bit utopian, no? See the case of CBOAT.

GAF is huge and popular... most blogs/news sites follow it... gamers follow it... it is not a closed place where you are safe to leak anything... there is a price to be popular like that... that is why I love GAF.

I think you did a good job with the summaries every month and she made a friend ask and it was fine but you wasn't doing anything wrong too.

A leaker not become popular is something a bit utopian, no? See the case of CBOAT.

Eh I wouldn't necessarily call what you did wrong, merely entirely unhelpful at the end of the day towards keeping the leaks afloat. It is true I stopped posting my summaries due to a request by a friend but I would've stopped them as well if another respected sales-ager requested to do so because of increasing notoriety. I am after all rather naive when it comes to that sort of thing.

I think the real problem is how fast the dissemination of information occurs. You can kind of feel that from how long some leaks have taken in the past as if NPD's true annoyance comes from fast, wide dissemination of the information. I even started seeing NPD results in the comment sections of random articles across Eurogamer and the like for instance.

I understand the side of the NPD and they have the rights to pressure and ask that... it is private information.

Now if anybody leaks this information in a public place then it become a public leak and there is no way to ask to others people to not talk, share, link, etc... it is wrong to to that.

I'm with you... it wads terrible day... I like Aqua a lot and I will her but she maybe wanted to create a private group for discussion in a public place... that won't ever work... it is the internet.

I only lurk NPD threads... but, man, I really disagree with your stance on leaked NPD information. like you said; specific NPD numbers is basically private, confidential, information that is not meant for public consumption. Aqua has been doing GAF a favor and she has the right to disseminate that information however she sees fit in order to protect herself. If she wanted to make it private only to forum members and not lurkers, no one should be questioning her. Now we've lost a great member of our community because a few bad apples have spoiled the bunch.

Yes, GAF is well known in the gaming community. But we are not Gamefaqs or one of the Chans. Being a member is privilege, not a right, and we should respect the wishes of memebers of those in our community who make great contributions. And we are definitely not synonymous with "Hollywood".

SmokyDave

Oh, fucking well done. Running one of the best sales-age posters and a great source of information away from the site.

Gee, I wonder who that benefits.

Oh well, at least nobody has to worry about quoting to see numbers now, they can just be pulled from thin fucking air instead.

Edit: Ugh the link has chartz so won't work. Try this instead or post 6669566 on chartz
Oh well that is a fucking shock.

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
lol, I can see a little cartoon storm cloud above your head as you grit your teeth to type this.
On topic, I am incredibly sad to hear that our insiders have left. Kind of like when Shinobi took his first ban, and Pete Dodd got banned due to the DriveClub stuff, it is the end of an era.
You forgot the part where CBoat got caught (allegedly [by Ntkernal]), Ntkernal disappeared into the aether and DemoNite got reigned in because Beast Souls legit leaked.
But at least we still have Tidu- Hahahaha... Sorry.
All of our insiders bowed out within 6 months. Except Verendus. That wacky loon Verendus.
Now I believe Creamsugar is like Batman... he will always found a way to cheese.
It's not about stopping leaks from leaking outside of GAF, it's about decreasing notoriety. Also known as, being known for something bad. Which arguably, leaks inherently are. It's about trying to bring the amount of people who see the numbers down from everyone, to people that care to seek them out.
I see no issue here ;) are you trying to say I did something wrong?

Nah, just lame. Which, I've gotten heat for before. You (I) go along feeling smug and everyone else goes along rubbing their temples about how you (I) don't understand.

meh

ethomaz

Banned
Eh I wouldn't necessarily call what you did wrong, merely entirely unhelpful at the end of the day towards keeping the leaks afloat. It is true I stopped posting my summaries due to a request by a friend but I would've stopped them as well if another respected sales-ager requested to do so because of increasing notoriety. I am after all rather naive when it comes to that sort of thing.

I think the real problem is how fast the dissemination of information occurs. You can kind of feel that from how long some leaks have taken in the past as if NPD's true annoyance comes from fast, wide dissemination of the information. I even started seeing NPD results in the comment sections of random articles across Eurogamer and the like for instance.
At the end it is just my personal opinion.

And I agree with you about the fast dissemination... the number of non-GAF that follow the NPD thread is big... not only in the English gaming communities but outside too... I see a lot of Brazilian's forums liking the GAF numbers and I believe others countries have the same... well even a France gaming site used the GAF numbers.

The point is no matter what Aqua wish that can't be stopped even if all GAFers didn't share the data.

I think if she was annoyed by that then she took the right decision... I support that... I will miss her.

Radec

lol.

now it all makes sense..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom