• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2014 [Up1: Smash/HW/MK8, Destiny stats, 3DS HW]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why'd you stop at 2009?

10: 3.23 million
11: 3.4 million
12: 2.66 million

3.5 million is probably a bit too high, I agree, but we'll see what happens. I don't think selling over 3 million is unattainable, though I think it's pretty safe to say it won't hit the Wii's 2009 record of 5.07 million.

Where'd you get the 20.5 million Wii sales in its first year?

I lost the will to continue :p

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2008/080124e.pdf#page=8

20.13 million for Wii in its first year.

Verendus

Banned
I'm going to register a new account. I'll call it AquaMACHINE. That way, this new prototype will be able to take it. Because it's not just a human, it's a machine. And machines can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until NPD discussion is dead.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am in constant contact with mai waifu and I am sure she will take a breather and come back soon.

Verendus

Banned
Basically, the virus is saying that Aqua is going to make a triumphant return next month. It's going to be like when Batista returned and won the Royal Rumble.

Except gaming fans aren't as childish as wrestling fans and living vicariously through ugly trolls (at least I hope not), so they'll welcome her.

QaaQer

I am in constant contact with mai waifu and I am sure she will take a breather and come back soon.

Good to hear . GAF can be like crack, and not in a good way. I actually appreciated my ban, although not self requested. AQ always seemed like a good egg, hope all is well.

2thepoint

I'm going to register a new account. I'll call it AquaMACHINE. That way, this new prototype will be able to take it. Because it's not just a human, it's a machine. And machines can't be bargained with. They can't be reasoned with. They don't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And they absolutely will not stop, ever, until NPD discussion is dead.

LOL, Verendus friend, nice quote from The Terminator.

They shared info they didn't have to that was pertinent to the video game industry and of great interest.

Not only do they not need to, but by sharing that information they become subject to immediate termination from their jobs. Worse, by sharing the info they do they are also wide open to lawsuits from NPD, who are actively trying to determine who they are. Taking a break is probably for the best.

There is great discussion here, and some really fantastic insight, but we have to be careful as a community to not allow the console war or any other antagonistic based nonsense to become the core content of the thread, lest we lose more voices than actually do have that information.

Rymuth

You totally missed the opportunity for a "Gentlemen, we can rebuild her. We have the technology. Better...stronger...faster." moment.

What was the LTD for PS2 at the same point in time?

It will probably be difficult to find the sales numbers in just NA from that time period, but 1 year after release in Japan, and 5 months after Europe and NA, the sales were at 9.2 million worldwide...that's the best I could find after a quick search.

allan-bh

Not only do they not need to, but by sharing that information they become subject to immediate termination from their jobs. Worse, by sharing the info they do they are also wide open to lawsuits from NPD, who are actively trying to determine who they are. Taking a break is probably for the best.

There is great discussion here, and some really fantastic insight, but we have to be careful as a community to not allow the console war or any other antagonistic based nonsense to become the core content of the thread, lest we lose more voices than actually do have that information.

I don't contempt Aqua's concern (on the contrary) and appreciate with her and others, including you, do for NPD threads.

But surely NPD Group know that leaks happen on GAF and it would be very easy to contact the administrators and stop all.

So I guess in a way NPD tolerates leaks here, but I'm in favour of be very careful because this is not public info and if spreads too much, they could change their mind.

2thepoint

It will probably be difficult to find the sales numbers in just NA from that time period, but 1 year after release in Japan, and 5 months after Europe and NA, the sales were at 9.2 million worldwide...that's the best I could find after a quick search.

Thanks, PS4 is really asserting it's dominance at this stage.

I don't contempt Aqua's concern (on the contrary) and appreciate with her and others, including you, do for NPD threads.

But surely NPD Group know that leaks happen on GAF and it would be very easy to contact the administrators and stop all.

So I guess in a way NPD tolerates leaks here, but I'm in favour of be very careful because this is not public info and if spreads too much, they could change their mind.

I think the issue is that they already are changing their mind right now, and I don't know that they're going to "tolerate" the leaks for much longer if they just end up getting spread throughout the internet on the same night that the NPD releases.

Just a simple example of what I mean, the "no summary" request that started last month seems like it was born of NPD attempting to tighten the noose around leaks (and our leakers attempts to at least slow down the spread of info to other sites).

ethomaz

Banned
What was the LTD for PS2 at the same point in time?
4.1m as of Sep 2001 but it had an addictional month because it was launched in Oct 2000.

Edit - I did the math again and the exactly number is 4,039,281 (a bit less than 4.1m) from Oct 2000 to Sep 2001... removing Sep 2001 to match the same number of months it was 3,695,562.

It is not difficult at all... just google and you will find a thread with all this data on GAF.

To be more precise, it sold more unbundled copies. NPD probably can't be bothered to track bundled software because of all the different bundles these manufacturers may be pushing from one week to the next.

No, they track them just fine, they just don't include them in the Top Software sales charts.

To be more precise, it sold more unbundled copies. NPD probably can't be bothered to track bundled software because of all the different bundles these manufacturers may be pushing from one week to the next.

Yeah, they track them, but they don't release the numbers because of what you said.

That was one of the most bizarre exchanges I can remember. Goldmund and Canis Lupus' posts didn't seem overly hostile or mean-spirited. They were just critical of it. Then it escalated out of nowhere, willferrellanchorman.jpg. I think the fact that the numbers would be out in the open within minutes of posting even if they were in e-mail tags is a valid point. Thousands of members here and no doubt plenty from whatever sites take the numbers.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
This NPD thread really took a turn for the worse. Really hope Cream and Aqua keep in touch. WE WILL MISS YOU.

Yeah, if lawyers get involved it would probably have to become board policy to delete threads discussing numbers + ban members involved with leaks, which wouldn't be good news for salesGAF.

I'm assuming a similar deal happened when the no scans allowed rule was implemented.

The difference is that in the past, NPD numbers from gaf were not widely spread within minutes of them being leaked, as they were buried under pages and pages of discussion. However, it seems like GAF has recently become much more visible in the internet regarding NPD numbers, and they were getting reposted across the web in minutes. That can definitely change the NPD's mind on whether or not they want to tolerate that kind of behavior.
Honestly, if there are any more leaks in the future, the leakers should at least wait a day or two before giving out numbers. That way, all console warz people will have already moved on to something else, and people with an actual interest in sales numbers can discuss in peace. NPD also might care less because their numbers arent disseminated hours after they are published.

ethomaz

Banned
The difference is that in the past, NPD numbers from gaf were not widely spread within minutes of them being leaked, as they were buried under pages and pages of discussion. However, it seems like GAF has recently become much more visible in the internet regarding NPD numbers, and they were getting reposted across the web in minutes. That can definitely change the NPD's mind on whether or not they want to tolerate that kind of behavior.
Honestly, if there are any more leaks in the future, the leakers should at least wait a day or two before giving out numbers. That way, all console warz people will have already moved on to something else, and people with an actual interest in sales numbers can discuss in peace. NPD also might care less because their numbers arent disseminated hours after they are published.
I remember Creamsugar always waiting four-six hours before start to give the hints for data... it was always after mid-night to most posters when he started.

This time the leaks happened 30 minutes after the NPD out.

NPD absolutely knows about GAF, and they are not tolerant of leaks. Personally, I'm not going to misinterpret patience on NPD's part for complacence.

Like you say, if it spreads too much, that's a problem. And if a company ever thought its stock price may have been impacted... Anyways, just something to keep in mind.

Conduit

Banned
In Spain PS4 is outselling One 7:1, in Germany One's games are always down or out the top 40, in Italy Fifa PS4 is outselling One's version 18:1 (!!!)

I can't see a nice future for One in Eu, sorry...

Yes, i know about that. You know why i counted some countries. Read my quote again on page 82.

That was one of the most bizarre exchanges I can remember. Goldmund and Canis Lupus' posts didn't seem overly hostile or mean-spirited. They were just critical of it. Then it escalated out of nowhere, willferrellanchorman.jpg. I think the fact that the numbers would be out in the open within minutes of posting even if they were in e-mail tags is a valid point. Thousands of members here and no doubt plenty from whatever sites take the numbers.

Given what we know about Aqua was under (and still is), that was EXTREMELY bad judgement to hem and haw over the method of numbers delivery, ESPECIALLY since this is NeoGAF, home of leakers (many of whom are silenced or gone radio silent).

We ain't some watering hole for insiders and deeply knowledgable laymen like it was when I joined and full NPDs were tossed out like candy, we are Big Shit now. Hell, I wouldn't doubt she'd have amscrayed for a while anyways but this pushing at best caused her break to be ugly.

Yeah, if lawyers get involved it would probably have to become board policy to delete threads discussing numbers + ban members involved with leaks, which wouldn't be good news for salesGAF.

I'm assuming a similar deal happened when the no scans allowed rule was implemented.

I think it was Famitsu's publisher that contacted Evilore over that, which is within their right.

And after what happened to sites that leaked Halo 2, and what EA threatened us with when ME3's lol ending leaked early, I have no doubts that's very possible.

Patroclos

Banned

Lol. The sales of Xbox Ones and the software will be phenomenal then. ;)

Never change, Verendus.

Griss

Reading the thread, it's hard not to think that if Aqua was under that much stress / pressure and Cream was about to lose his source then we were nearing the end of the age of NPD leaks no matter what we would have done to hide the data.

The only shame is that we've lost a good poster (great poster, actually) for a while because of it. Made me laugh that it happened at the same time as Cream losing his source because I always personally suspected that Aqua and Cream were the same person, despite having no real reason to believe it. I'm sure mods would know if that was the case and stop it / disclose it, but it was always a suspicion I had, and now we've lost both at the same time. I mean - has anyone ever seen them in the same room? j/k

I appreciated Aqua's valiant attempts to hide the data and keep the party bumping but from the outset it was clear it wasn't going to work as certain users were pulling quotes out of the email field and sharing them immediately. I can't imagine how you'd stop that happening, or educate all Gaffers at once as to both the new system of posting data and the fact that discussing the actual numbers isn't acceptable. We get new users coming in every month screwing it up, as well as stubborn people being difficult (as we regrettably saw in this thread). In truth, once the numbers are on Gaf in any form they are essentially public, as hard as that is to take.

I'm sure we'll get numbers anyway from somewhere else, be it working things out from PR percentage figures compared with past data or a new source. We'll be fine. I'll actually miss Aqua more because no one was faster with an answer to sales data queries in random threads. She must have a hell of a database or be a wizard with thread searching. As for Cream, I just hope he didn't get in any trouble. I enjoyed his style of posting and figuring out the unlabelled pie charts.

I also think that sales threads are a lot less interesting now than they were last year, because as far as I'm concerned the trajectories of console hardware for this generation are pretty well set at this point. It'd take something unprecedented to knock them off their current courses. The software stuff is always interesting, but when we were in the middle of finding out who was going to take the reins of the generation or just how badly the WiiU might flop, that was when things were properly intense. Anyway, thanks to everyone who posts and makes these threads fun.

Ishida

Banned

Sarah: "So Verendus is crazy?"

Dr. Silberman: "In technical terminology: he's a loon."

I think it was Famitsu's publisher that contacted Evilore over that, which is within their right.

Oh, absolutely - don't get me wrong, I know that they are legally entitled (and in fact to some extent obligated) to protect their business interests, and it would not be difficult to imagine an NPD Group protecting their business interests in a similar way resulting in the same change of Board Policy.

EGM1966

When a situation is clear cut organisations such as NPD will move swiftly with their legal departments.

With respect to GAF the situation has been more fluid, snippets of info leaked here and there and often remaining within GAF vs spreading too far.

Of late though there's been a trend of info leaking fast and spreading fast, and if it continues in the wrong direction a tipping point will have been crossed and NPD would act.

Ideally GAF members shouldnt spread info to other sites nor keep reposting - and worse reposting in ever longer lists - numbers such as NPD leaks. Not if they want the status quo to continue with NPD choosing to forego directly hostile responses so long as they feel the value of their data isn't being overly harmed.

Otherwise we'll likely see policies forbidding posting leaked info pertaining to NPD (and possibly other sources) forced on GAF from without.

Or alternatively perhaps people re-posting info openly or caught posting it or passing it on to other sites would end up banned instead to try and protect members like Aquamarine.

Either option sounds unappealing to me and I hope the majority of members take the fragile nature of getting such information leaked for us very seriously and realise theres a fine line between getting it and not getting it at all.

I've read a lot of this thread and my god it turned into a bloodbath. The highs, the lows, the meltdowns, the bans and even Aqua has left us. This is probably the craziest NPD thread I've seen.

Seik

Banned
So Aquamarine did a self ban for 3 months...hope you'll get better, I can't believe how this ended up. :(

A big, special thanks to the two/three people I won't name that fucked everything up, though. Whining over a free service is never a good idea, never.

Thanks a bunch, really.

allan-bh

Well, definitely I don't mind waiting. The important is continue to know some data. Without it, sales talk is finished.

Griss

what the!?... i hate you all (whoever did this) :,( Some people just want to see the world burn.

To be fair, I only saw that early on and am sure it was done in total ignorance of the situation just so that they could talk about the numbers but it illustrates the problem that we would have: How do you talk about sales numbers using a leak without being allowed to actually type out the leaked numbers themselves? We'd still get the numbers, but conversation would be tortuous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom