• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

idlewild_

The playoffs always are.

Steve-Ballmer-Screams-Playoffs.gif

HgGcUYG.gif

sörine

Banned
Even selling half as well as the US makes RotW substantial, that's the point I was making. The US is the biggest consoles market in the world, while software sales regional splits vary depending on genre, in general the US is still the biggest market, & even if RotW software sales are half the US, that's still very substantial, even though it's extremely likely that it's much higher than just half the US. Incomplete numbers due to Canada or smaller European markets don't change that, Canada + European markets not tracked by Gfk + digital sales in the US & EU are still very likely <600k.
I guess, but "substantial" is pretty vague and going from 900k to 600k to 300k means very different things. If you don't want people getting hung up on the numbers you should probably stop throwing them out so casually.

Also, I'd disagree with your particulars, roughly half of US for ROW is about where the fuzzy math really leads us: retail only 600k US, 400k West EU, 300k JP for 1.3m. Throw in maybe 200k for the rest of NA and PAL total (CA should be 60k alone) for 1.5m. Do 15% digital ratio (Japan was higher but we'll go with this) for 1.65m total. That leaves us with 350k for ROW, and all the accounted+assumed numbers are more likely lower than reality so that 350k becomes more like a ceiling. Reality is probably under 300k.

Vena

Miku did pretty well on the 3DS compared to the most recent past release, that's neat. With digital, the series has probably grown considerably over its previous numbers on the PS3.

Did we have any idea for expectations on PDAN? I don't know how to gauge that number considering its a spin-off, and comparing to main-line would be strange.

And some were talking we wouldn't see 300 bucks on XB1. Excellent value here.
I think people meant price drop across the board for this holiday. Of course black Friday deals are huge. And there was PS4 deal for UC bundle which was 300$ already, so that show there are some crazy deals here and there.

I think it will be quite hard for Microsoft to win October this year. Forza didn't generate enough hype, Halo fans still bittersweet from the MCC experience. So maybe a tie or a slight edge.

However, November gonna be an easy one for them.

Sony has Star Wars and Call of Duty Bundles. Star Wars bundle was 16th on Amazon Charts for September and It is currently 30th for October (even though it doesn't release until November).

There is a lot of tied up sales for that Star Wars Bundle when it finally hits in November. There will be 2 months of preorders, November Black Friday Sales, I think it will be very hard for Microsoft to win November. Even with Black Friday Super Deal Microsoft is likely to run, this Star Wars Bundle is going to be tough to beat.

GnawtyDog

Banned
So apparently the Xbone Black Friday deal from Dell... Gears of War UE, Fallout 4, extra controller and headset for $300.

I said wat.

Gawd dayum....

Don't even wanna know what Tearaway Unfolded sold...don't even tell me, I know it's a horrible crime.
Someone tell me.....

Alo0oy

Banned
sörine;182319365 said:
I guess, but "substantial" is pretty vague and going from 900k to 600k to 300k means very different things. If you don't want people getting hung up on the numbers you should probably stop throwing them out so casually.

Also, I'd disagree with your particulars, roughly half of US for ROW is about where the fuzzy math really leads us: retail only 600k US, 400k West EU, 300k JP for 1.3m. Throw in maybe 200k for the rest of NA and PAL total (CA should be 60k alone) for 1.5m. Do 15% digital ratio (Japan was higher but we'll go with this) for 1.65m total. That leaves us with 350k for ROW, and all the accounted+assumed numbers are more likely lower than reality so that 350k becomes more like a ceiling. Reality is probably under 300k.

I was using the numbers to show how substantial they are, both 300k & 600k are substantial, I was being flexible with them because any number within that range (& even less) doesn't change my argument that RotW sales can be as high as the big 3 (ballpark numbers), I think you're overshooting a lot of the numbers to reach the 300k RotW, US retail isn't anywhere near 600k when it was less than 450k three months earlier for example, but I think you got my original point.

Yeah the MGSV number really isn't that impressive. By no means a "bomba" but not exactly a home run either
Only hope is that the game has artificial legs (how fitting) and that many fans were wise enough to wait for price drop/black friday. Or they bought PC version. Or they all imported the Euro limited edition.
Okay, weak excuses.

Alo0oy

Banned
If so is disappointing. MGS 4 sold 1 million on PS3 alone.

I severely overestimated it, it sold almost half of what I predicted.

It was #2 on PSN's September top sellers, & that was PSN's highest grossing month, so maybe it's higher than the usual AAA title? Although Sony's PR specifically said Star Wars, Call of Duty, & Uncharted pre-orders were responsible for the record numbers. So it's very hard to tell.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't think you can discount PC sales completely but yeah MGSV did not light the world on fire. Although to be fair, IIRC MGS 4 had the benefit of a price cut and PS3 bundle.

While PC sales are relatively good, they're not big in the grand scheme of things, 750k is good for a Japanese game on Steam, I'd even say great, but for a franchise that regularly sells ~6 million, it's a drop in the bucket.

Kill3r7

While PC sales are relatively good, they're not big in the grand scheme of things, 750k is good for a Japanese game on Steam, I'd even say great, but for a franchise that regularly sells ~6 million, it's a drop in the bucket.

Agreed but that's 750K so far. I am sure the game will sell more once it hits that sweet $5-$10 range which most PC games seem to do within a few months of release.

You are mixing ldt sales of MGS games and little over month sales of PC version of MGSV. When it's all said and done it wouldn't surprise me if MGSV crawls to somewhere around 2 million just on Steam. That is not drop in the bucket.

What? No it isn't. 750k is 12.5% of 6 million. That's not a drop in the bucket, that's a significant percentage.

napata

12.5% of total sales is a drop? Besides MGS V isn't anywhere close to 6 million so that % is much higher in reality.

Curufinwe

Only if the bucket only has eight drops on it.

Alo0oy

Banned
Maybe "a drop in the bucket" was hyperbole, but they're still not significant enough, even if you add up consoles US only sales with Steam worldwide sales (~1.5 million), that's what I honestly expected out of the US alone on retail.

Maybe I had unrealistic expectations, but seeing something like Mortal Kombat sell as well as it did when it was never nearly as big as Metal Gear, I expected Metal Gear to have similar growth. EDIT: Actually, I remember a lot of people having similar expectations.

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't get the Metal Gear doom and gloom.

It sounds like it sold around the same amount of retail discs as MGS4. Sure, the PS3 bundle in 2008 pushed it way beyond that but the digital sales here should be significant as well - on console, without even getting to Steam.

Alo0oy

Banned
I'm questioning the growth Uncharted 4 might have in the US too, I thought it might show substantial growth, but unless Sony does a massive marketing campaign, I'll be conservative with my estimates.

I'm questioning the growth Uncharted 4 might have in the US too, I thought it might show substantial growth, but unless Sony does a massive marketing campaign, I'll be conservative with my estimates.
It's a long way to go until Uncharted 4.
But I'd take a wild guess and say that there will be quite some marketing for that game.

Top Bottom