• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

ILoveBish

Holy shit. 3DS Japan games are getting rocked in North America.

Do we even have previous NPD numbers for the other Senran Kagura and Project Diva games?

Portable gaming is done outside of japan. Nintendo might as well make the next portable Japan exclusive. And release the console version outside of it.

Alo0oy

Banned
The difference is the hunger for an exclusive AAA game is there and the millions of PS4 users will purchase the hell of it. There will be 11-12 million US owners by then and more than 10% will own it in the first month easily.

That was my logic before MGS5 launched too, but that hunger didn't make more people buy The Phantom Pain either. That's why I'm more hesitant now to expect UC4 to grow substantially in the US.

Uncharted just doesn't appeal to the US core market aesthetically.

rhandino

Banned

Do we even have previous NPD numbers for the other Senran Kagura and Project Diva games?
The other Senran Kagura was digital only and sold well enough to convince xseed to bring the rest of the series.

Meanwhile Mirai sales are actually higher than Project Diva PS3 sales which were around 17k or something.

I'm dreading next month's thread a bit. Both scenarios will be full of posturing:

"Halo 5 released and still couldn't win? Wow! Clearly the Xbox and Halo brand are damaged forever. Next month will be interesting."

"A price drop and still couldn't win? Wow! Clearly momentum has been lost forever. Next month will be interesting."

Whatever happens, we all lose :p

October NPD Thread Preview

1426380423065.jpg

Nyoro SF

The other Senran Kagura was digital only and sold well enough to convince xseed to bring the rest of the series.

Meanwhile Mirai sales are actually higher than Project Diva PS3 sales which were around 17k or something.

I'd be interested in seeing the Project Diva F 2nd sales, and the Senran Kagura Shinovi Versus (Vita) NPD for comparison. Too bad we can't get Diva F Vita sales.

I suppose it's OK for Vita / Mirai, because the localization of these titles is fairly easy. But Senran Kagura has more investment of text.

Vena

Holy shit... it did better than its predecessor? (Miku) The series has sold more, the difference comes in RoI as Mirai, unlike Diva F, is not built as a microtransaction platform and so may have been less profitable (of course we'd need to factor in dev costs disparities). Of course, one could say this doesn't prevent a future Diva F-like title coming to the 3DS as a DLC platform to take advantage of the base but, then, Mirai is a different aesthetic and appeal.

Kagura 2 was a 50$ retail purchase, its predecessor was digital only and has no known numbers.

All platforms are "rocking" the Japanese games in NA.

Busaiku

Not an apples to apples comparison, but Code of Princess did around 20k for its debut.
It wasn't available digitally at the time, it was rated T, and it was $40, so it had those going for it.

I'm dreading next month's thread a bit. Both scenarios will be full of posturing:

"Halo 5 released and still couldn't win? Wow! Clearly the Xbox and Halo brand are damaged forever. Next month will be interesting."

"A price drop and still couldn't win? Wow! Clearly momentum has been lost forever. Next month will be interesting."

Eh, I don't think too many people will be saying that about PS4. From what I have seen, I think most think X1 should take October.

Sterok

Not sure why we're taking Miku and Senran Kagura as serious barometers for the state of the 3DS. Those would be small on any platform, and Senran honestly did better than I thought it would. That is ultra niche and going for $50. Happy Home Designer doing just okay should be a better place to discuss the system, though it's a thing I don't see the American market liking too much. If you want to call 3DS dooooomed, wait for next month when Chibi-Robo bombs and Triforce Heroes fails to chart.

Nyoro SF

Not sure why we're taking Miku and Senran Kagura as serious barometers for the state of the 3DS. Those would be small on any platform, and Senran honestly did better than I thought it would. That is ultra niche and going for $50. Happy Home Designer doing just okay should be a better place to discuss the system, though it's a thing I don't see the American market liking too much. If you want to call 3DS dooooomed, wait for next month when Chibi-Robo bombs and Triforce Heroes fails to chart.

Well, the reason I was shocked was because I assumed the numbers would be higher, my bad.

However without the numbers from the Vita members of the family to compare against, I suppose being shocked was a bad idea... for all I know, these series have always had such a low baseline.

Monthly 3DS vs PSP comparison chart
Code:
             3DS 2015  PSP 2009  NDS 2009  3DS 2014
     January       74       172       510        97
     February     395       199       588       153
     March        265       168       563       159
     April        116       116      1040       106
     May           97       100       633        97
     June         124*      163       766       152
     July         104       123       539       108
     August        77       140       552        91
     September    123       190       524       140
     October                174       457       138
     November               293      1700       515
     December               654      3310       810
     Through 
     September   1375      1371      5715      1104

Total                 2492     11182      2566

Even with price drop for 2DS and normal New3DS bundle 3DS was down yoy. Still of course ahead in ytd sales thanks to New3DS launch in february. We shall se if it holds trough the holidays. Close race also with PSP but 3DS still should have better holidays than PSP in 2009.

allan-bh

PS4 is fine, people will see a loss as expected. All the pressure is on Xbox One in the month of the big exclusive.

Busaiku

Miku games are in 2 platforms so I don't see how comparing Mirai to PS3 Miku makes sense.
This is the comparison to Project Diva F, which was only available on PS at launch.
It was only available on Vita months later, digital exclusive.

Game Guru

Portable gaming is done outside of japan. Nintendo might as well make the next portable Japan exclusive. And release the console version outside of it.

3DS outsells Wii U even outside Japan. It makes complete sense for Nintendo to continue to bring handhelds out internationally because even if handheld gaming is done, their handheld gaming division is still doing better than their console gaming division. In addition, niche games like Hatsune Miku and Senran Kagura are not the best barometer for the success of a platform in selling games.

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
Wait, a minute. Why were these numbers released on a non-Thursday?

Am I in a parallel dimension sales thread?

I know one thing. With Tearaway selling like shit and DQ Heroes selling like shit ( #211 overall in Videogames on Amazon, #79 on PS4 only ) our game selection is going to get slimmer and slimmer in the future. I swear it is amazing how often threads are made around here talking about wanting diversity in products or wanting DQ to come out west or wanting character action titles or 3D platformers and when the shit actually comes out, no one buys it. Doesn't matter if it was great or not. PS fanbase used to support these types of products.

Augh. Atleast we have emulators I guess.

With these DQ Heroes numbers I'm starting to wonder if we actually will get DQXI over here. Next month we will probably see a DQ<100k cream post.

Welfare

Key2001

I know one thing. With Tearaway selling like shit and DQ Heroes selling like shit ( #211 overall in Videogames on Amazon, #79 on PS4 only ) our game selection is going to get slimmer and slimmer in the future. I swear it is amazing how often threads are made around here talking about wanting diversity in products or wanting DQ to come out west or wanting character action titles or 3D platformers and when the shit actually comes out, no one buys it. Doesn't matter if it was great or not. PS fanbase used to support these types of products.

Augh. Atleast we have emulators I guess.

With these DQ Heroes numbers I'm starting to wonder if we actually will get DQXI over here. Next month we will probably see a DQ<100k cream post.

Probably because when we asked for Dragon Quest we didn't have in mind a Dynasty Warriors type game with a Dragon Quest skin. A spin-off should have come after they gathered the Dragon Quest fanbase on the console, not before (especially for a niche series/genre in the west).

Fdkn

Apparently, we have no data for this title.
Looks like we missed our chance at creamsugar roulette.

well, that's unfortunate.

Even comparing to Diva F, fans obviously knew about the vita version so that could impact sales. It was one of those 'commonly' imported games too.

Vena

well, that's unfortunate.

Even comparing to Diva F, fans obviously knew about the vita version so that could impact sales. It was one of those 'commonly' imported games too.

We may as well start discussing heat waves then.

Fdkn

We may as well start discussing heat waves then.

I don't think the snark is warranted when all that I'm saying is that the comparison is flawed.

If we don't have reliable data to compare both titles, then we might as well don't do it.

Vena

I don't think the snark is warranted when all that I'm saying is that the comparison is flawed.

If we don't have reliable data to compare both titles, then we might as well don't do it.

Several of us have already said that the comparison is a poor one because of the nature of the two different titles of Miku. The original post that started all of this was just completely bombastic over a numeric value... which we can only compare to other numeric values we posses.

The reason I made my snark is because what you listed just aren't usually seen as any more statistically relevant than saying "a heat wave" or "everyone's waiting on Forza 6".

KHlover

Banned

Nah, that's not an indication either. No one ever cared about Chibi Robo, why should that suddenly change now?

So Best Buy is offering $150 trade in towards Xbox One console from 18th Oct to 24th Oct.
Trying to make October more interesting?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xbox-one/xbox-one-consoles/pcmcat303600050004.c?id=pcmcat303600050004&ref=199&loc=te1Fq2FCseg&acampID=1&siteID=te1Fq2FCseg-Yy.RGjHD05AnFLtbI47a0Q

If you want to see something really interesting here for October check this

GameStop $100 trade in from either PS3 or 360 towards either PS4 or Xbone

http://www.gamestop.com/deals

Every time they do this hardware sales for the month go way up

Edit: This will affect November NPD as well, it goes all the way until November 21st.

Sterok

Nah, that's not an indication either. No one ever cared about Chibi Robo, why should that suddenly change now?

True, but it's still a 2D platformer (which performs well on the 3DS) and has an amiibo bundled (their popularity is overstated, but it'll probably help a little). But if we're going to say handhelds are dead we're better off looking at games that normally do well(platformer and Zelda) on the 3DS instead of a quirky rhythm game and a fanservice beat-em up.

Now I don't think either Chibi-Robo or Triforce Heroes will underperform because they're on the 3DS, but because neither are actually that appealing. As you said, no one cares about CR, and TH is a multiplayer spin-off of a normally single-player series.

Yopis

But mgs5 digital wonder how many others did the same. Love the fact that NBA 2k is doing great they built that from the ground up when EA was king in that space.

Jigorath

Banned
So Best Buy is offering $150 trade in towards Xbox One console from 18th Oct to 24th Oct.
Trying to make October more interesting?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/xbox-one/xbox-one-consoles/pcmcat303600050004.c?id=pcmcat303600050004&ref=199&loc=te1Fq2FCseg&acampID=1&siteID=te1Fq2FCseg-Yy.RGjHD05AnFLtbI47a0Q

October is going to be fascinating.

Of course it's not going to make 100k in it's US debut. Why would it? These niche Japanese games don't pull these sorts of numbers in their Western launch. Senran Kagura, Project Mirai, and Persona 4 DAN all came out in September. None of them broke 30k. Keep your sales expectations in line and pray Square does the same.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
whoa its not? thats a major problem there ... family friendly console and all without the top family game .. i have heard like 8 year olds play minecraft.

I still find this odd too. Its on damn near every platform....expect Nintendo. So far I see its left off Nintendo and BB. BB running Android apps in an emulator/VM and their upcoming Android phone might make it moot but its not on BB OS.

ILoveBish

3DS outsells Wii U even outside Japan. It makes complete sense for Nintendo to continue to bring handhelds out internationally because even if handheld gaming is done, their handheld gaming division is still doing better than their console gaming division. In addition, niche games like Hatsune Miku and Senran Kagura are not the best barometer for the success of a platform in selling games.

The HW sales tell all the story we need to hear. And its because of the huge and vast 3ds library that's been built up till now that has allowed it to even sell as much as it has. They won't be as blessed next time to even built a foothold.

True, but it's still a 2D platformer (which performs well on the 3DS) and has an amiibo bundled (their popularity is overstated, but it'll probably help a little). But if we're going to say handhelds are dead we're better off looking at games that normally do well(platformer and Zelda) on the 3DS instead of a quirky rhythm game and a fanservice beat-em up.

Now I don't think either Chibi-Robo or Triforce Heroes will underperform because they're on the 3DS, but because neither are actually that appealing. As you said, no one cares about CR, and TH is a multiplayer spin-off of a normally single-player series.

3DS just has a really bad holiday lineup this year (it's only slightly better than Wii U's offerings). It's so blatantly obvious that 2016 is going to be a big turning point for Nintendo. 3DS and Wii U have both overstayed their welcome and it's time for something new.

Game Guru

The HW sales tell all the story we need to hear. And its because of the huge and vast 3ds library that's been built up till now that has allowed it to even sell as much as it has. They won't be as blessed next time to even built a foothold.

What HW sales suggest is that neither consoles nor handhelds will do as well as they did last generation.

Is that YoY drop-off the reason Sony dropped the price of the console? Or is it acting preemptively to avoid last year's holiday situation?

Javin98

Banned
Is that YoY drop-off the reason Sony dropped the price of the console? Or is it acting preemptively to avoid last year's holiday situation?
Or perhaps last September saw the launch of the biggest new IP of this generation? I don't know, it's just a guess... /s

Top Bottom