• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2015 [Up2: Nintendo Numbers]

The person in charge of greenlighting games are not the same people as the ones who market it.

Boku no Natsuyasumi are all games greenlit by Sony, but LOL they aren't even localised.

You are right. But I'd like to think that the decision to market the game would have some sort of impact on projected sales of a game.

N.Domixis

Banned
I dunno. I still see halo as a systems seller. Not as much as last gen, but more so than any other exclusives that have came out.
PS4 was ahead for half the month, halo jumped for a few days and is now dropping below ps4, maybe come release it goes back up. But ps4 winning won't surprise me if this continues. Itsgonbeclose.gif

Kill3r7

Extended to TOP20. September is historically a big month for new releases and so I had to expand it. We also have a new console launching here...

Previous cycle Septs:
kUjmq1h.png

9/2009:
PS3 SLIM launches, X360 has a $100 price drop. HW:
PS3 492k
Wii 463k
X360 353k

9/2004:
GC didn't see much of a boost, last month a Metroid Prime bundle was introduced. HW:
XB 253k
PS2 253k
GC 115k

9/1999:
Dreamcast launch! PSX & N64 counter with price drops from $129 to $99. HW:
DC 570k
PSX 550k
N64 360k

9/1994:
Did MK2 help Nintendo more than Sega this year? HW:
SNES 190k
GEN 150k

Great stuff as per usual. Keep up the good work. It is crazy to think that a decade ago NBA Live was a viable franchise. Also, those Halo ODST numbers.

sörine

Banned
The person in charge of greenlighting games are not the same people as the ones who market it.

Boku no Natsuyasumi are all games greenlit by Sony, but LOL they aren't even localised.
A Boku no Natsuyasumi game hasn't been greenlit on console in almost a decade though. I'm not sure what bearing that has on SCE's current approach or policies?

Looking at the Nintendo console chart, it is really fascinating how much of a different approach Nintendo apparently took with the Wii U. With the GameCube and N64 they aggressively lowered the price to combat the low hardware sales, Wii U on the other hand is almost at the same level it started at price wise. I get the impression Nintendo quickly decided to fold. It's also interesting that we have reached the final GameCube christmas now. If Wii U really still gets Zelda for itself, it will have outlasted the Cube - albeit selling half as much.

???

Wii U 2015=Gamecube 2004, we're not at the least year of the Gamecube yet

Afaik Turn 10 is or used to be 3x the size of Polyphony in terms of devs (as was revealed back in 2009 or 2010), so imho MS loses money on the series big time, but it's actually a matter of having a racer offering on their platform as a GT counter. At the very least for Europe I imagine.

They also ship titles every other year and now share assets/tech with Playground for the Horizon series too.

I don't see MS losing money on Forza otherwise they wouldn't keep making them and making more

EGM1966

I dunno. I still see halo as a systems seller. Not as much as last gen, but more so than any other exclusives that have came out.
Halo will definately sell systems: the demand is still there.

PS4 price cut will definately sell systems: price elasticity demands it (because there's no way the price elasticity of PS4 is flat).

The unknown is which, in current market conditions, will drive the bigger boost.

But both consoles will almost certainly get a boost.

They also ship titles every other year and now share assets/tech with Playground for the Horizon series too.

I don't see MS losing money on Forza otherwise they wouldn't keep making them and making more

Yeah Forza must be pretty cheap for a AAA franchise, because they don't sell great and yet MS hasn't even kind of let up on making them. I'm guessing they reuse so many assets / systems between the various games the actual development costs aren't massive.

allan-bh

Great stuff as per usual. Keep up the good work. It is crazy to think that a decade ago NBA Live was a viable franchise. Also, those Halo ODST numbers.

It's unbelievable what happened because NBA LIve was a dominant franchise and now is dead despite EA's expertise in sports games.

gtj1092

That's not necessarily true. I think Shu has mentioned that 6 out of 10 Sony first party games lose money. The point of continuing a franchise isn't always about the bottom line per se.

That's not necessarily true. I think Shu has mentioned that 6 out of 10 Sony first party games lose money. The point of continuing a franchise isn't always about the bottom line per se.

I doubt Microsoft operate under the same guidelines given they have a fairly narrow group of core titles which they keep investing in - because they sell.

If Forza was continually "losing money on the series big time" [to quote what I was replying too] at the least we'd have heard of Turn10 being downsized or maybe making games with a smaller scope I suspect. As far as I can see this hasn't happened (yet)

Above anything else I have little faith MS would want to keep investing in it, they could also easily give it a break and pick up another one of their racing brands (PGR, Rallisport Challenge, Midtown Madness) if Forza was reaching that point and instead they doubled down on it, although what they do for 2017 is anyones guess

Elandyll

Banned
I doubt Microsoft operate under the same guidelines given they have a fairly narrow group of core titles which they keep investing in - because they sell.

If Forza was continually "losing money on the series big time" [to quote what I was replying too] at the least we'd have heard of Turn10 being downsized or maybe making games with a smaller scope I suspect. As far as I can see this hasn't happened (yet)

Above anything else I have little faith MS would want to keep investing in it, they could also easily give it a break and pick up another one of their racing brands (PGR, Rallisport Challenge, Midtown Madness) if Forza was reaching that point and instead they doubled down on it, although what they do for 2017 is anyones guess

As I said, it's merely conjecture/ opinion, but in the same way as Forza was created as a counter to GT, it is probably considered a must have to keep some relevance or even gain market share, particularly in the Euro markets.

It is merely my belief with what little info we have, and unfortunately until we have some specifics in an article we probably won't know much more about that.

So this will be the pre-October predictions thread thread? lol.
September prediction thread already was a stealth October prediction thread.
Can it be that once the actual month will be interesting?
Are we interested in this actual month we live in?
Can you smell it? Pre-season is over!

Jigorath

Banned

When was the last time a Forza game sold well? Racing is a genre that primarily sells in Europe, where Xbox doesn't have much presence in. Microsoft probably keeps Forza around because they want an exclusive racer on their platform, and it's an easy game to bundle. Or maybe Phil just has a soft spot for the franchise.

Also, none of those are other racing franchises you mentioned have any relevance in today's market. Why would any of them get revived?

When was the last time a Forza game sold well? Racing is a genre that primarily sells in Europe, where Xbox doesn't have much presence in. Microsoft probably keeps Forza around because they want an exclusive racer on their platform, and it's an easy game to bundle. Or maybe Phil just has a soft spot for the franchise.

Also, none of those are other racing franchises you mentioned have any relevance in today's market. Why would any of them get revived?
how is Gran Tourismo selling in the US?
If the genre is not working here per se, what variation would? It just can't be that americans don't like car driving.
Something like Dirt? Motorstorm? NASCAR? Hummer: Badlands? Big Rigs?

Alo0oy

Banned
If the genre is not working here per se, what variation would? It just can't be that americans don't like car driving.

GT6 had a bad debut, but it's hard to make a final judgment on the state of the genre based on that game because it launched on PS3 after the PS4 launched.

GT5 sold 2.8 million in the US, so GT7 will be do or die for the genre in the US.

GT6 had a bad debut, but it's hard to make a final judgment on the state of the genre based on that game because it launched on PS3 after the PS4 launched.

GT5 sold 2.8 million in the US, so GT7 will be do or die for the genre in the US.
GT6 should not count. This was really a stupid decision (or horrible timing because of overperfectionism).
Anyway thanks. Always happy to get these infos here.

Jigorath

Banned

I don't know if the racing genre is dead or anything like that, it's just become a niche that only a handful of franchises can still find success in. At least in the US, I'm pretty sure racers are still popular in Europe.

Microsoft don't often share sales data for a lot of their games, its difficult to know exactly what they sell overall, Forza 5 was at 500k~ in NPDs after December 2013 which is all we know (Aaron Greenberg said it on twitter)

Your definition of sells well could very well be different to their definition, given they know what the games cost to make and how the tech and assets are re-used across Motorsport and Horizon which was probably done in part to "reduce" costs, if they can use them for another game. Phil also said Horizon 2 sold well recently, iirc but gave no figures

Plenty of franchises get revived, if they wanted to give the Forza brand a break why could they not pick from one of those? Would make more sense than starting all over again

Top Bottom