• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sept. 2022: PS5 No. 1 units; PS5 No. 1 revenue; FIFA No. 1; NBA2k3 No. 3; Splatoon No. 4; LoUP1 No. 5

Nautilus

Banned
amanda seyfried fifth sense GIF
Ah, that explains a lot.

Nautilus

Banned
Nov 9th can't come soon enough!

You asked me why I brought up Halo Infinite earlier. Well, you're showing me why it was a good idea to mention it. If you're of the idea a remake of a 9-year-old game placing 5th in a debut month that included heavy-hitters like Splatoon 3 (keep in mind that game did 3+ million in Japan in like two days), and other new games like FIFA and NBA 2K (these are not "minor games", btw) is only doing "okay", then we can agree that Halo Infinite's No. 2 debut on the chart where the only other new release was the mediocre COD Vanguard, was also only "okay"?

Never mind that Halo Infinite dropped off the Top 20 the immediate following month. So yeah, you can say that TLOU Part 1 did "okay" at best if you're willing to admit right here and now that at best Halo Infinite only did "okay" or in many ways quite badly, considering it probably costed a good deal more to build (and rebuild) & had an actual marketing budget to it (something TLOU Part 1 Remake did not have). If you're not willing to admit that, then stop trying to force the argument TLOU Remake is only doing "okay" when you're looking at chart placements with no numbers on unit sales attached to them.

You're conveniently ignoring that the other four games placing ahead of it on NPD are all new (or relatively new) games in VERY established IPs not just in NA but globally.

The probability that my stance holds true is much higher than the probability yours holds true, that's the difference here. Because in my case, we can already look at similar arguments used against other games released this year and see the results from those games defying those arguments absolutely, so the pattern is set to where TLOU Part 1 Remake sales results will at least push against the idea the game is only doing "okay" (in the context of game sales, when a lot of people use phrases like "okay" in context to other statements that are generally negative, then the context of that "okay" also becomes tinged as negative) or badly.

You don't have any other sales data for other Sony 1P releases this year you can point to holding up a similar argument of only performing "okay" (i.e notably below internal higher-end sales/revenue expectations) that can be extrapolated to assuming TLOU Part 1 Remake performs similarly. You're just going off a hunch and whatever suits your perspective.

That's the difference.

So Sackboy and Astro-bot costed $100 million to make? MLB The Show costed $100 million to make? Returnal costed $100 million to make? You talk about using common sense but aren't using it yourself. Sony's statement was in regards to their biggest, most prolific 1P AAA releases. The HFWs, GOW Ragnaroks, Spiderman 2 type of games. New IP or sequels in established marquee IP. Remakes and remasters do not classify under that scope.

I'm not saying TLOU Remake was cheap, but its budget is nowhere in the ballpark of the other marquee 1P AAA games I just mentioned, because there's no way it would realistically need to be. And keep in mind, Elden Ring (y'know, the biggest game of the year so far sales-wise) also includes physical & digital in the NPD chart and placed lower than TLOU Part 1 Remake. Granted it's not a new release but that hasn't stopped games like GTAV (which Elden Ring has been compared to sales-wise) or COD (which it's also been compared to sales-wise) charting near the top multiple months after their initial releases.

So if this is your narrative, then you also have to accept the possible narrative that Elden Ring's post-release sales aren't particularly strong. OTOH, if you're of the idea they ARE particularly strong (and various reports would support this), then while TLOU Remake's charting isn't #1 in debut month, that would at least support the idea that it's doing pretty well so far. More than the "okay" you imply, at the very least.

I wouldn't be so sure about that; you're supposedly "not worried" yet have responding to pretty much every single one. Actions speak louder than words.

Well, PS3 was a gen where they did screw up, at least in the beginning. Not with what they were trying to do (for the value and QoL it provided PS3 was a steal), but partly the pricing and mostly the messaging to customers (or the way that messaging was reported by games media, who as we know today, most of them are garbage).

They definitely course-corrected around the midway point and certainly by the end of that gen though, easily had the most goodwill among gamers between them, Nintendo and Microsoft by the time 2013 came along.

Because there are people who make threads, dramatic Twitter posts, Youtube videos and 3+ hour podcasts celebrating Xbox Series outselling PS5 in Japan by 50 units once every several weeks (but conveniently ignore when PS5 outsells Xbox in that market by 100%+ margins multiple weeks at a time, even though the brand is supposedly "dying off" in the country. You'd think they would want to cover those sales for a struggling brand in Japan but nope, not if it's PlayStation).

Having threads to report on sales also helps keep certain narratives in check, so should any BS ones try getting started up.
Sure? Even MS admitted Halo Infinite was a financial dissapointment(so far at least). Halo being a dissapointment doesn't make TLOU 1 Remake sales better though.

Splatoon(without digital sales) is a very estabilished franchise in the US? More than TLOU? Thats true for Japan, but the US?

By okay I mean it did decent, but nothing out of the ordinary. You vould say that that's dissapointing for Sony's marquee franchise, but its not bad. At the show and the PC version is still comming.

Nautilus

Banned
The majority of the Last of Us PS4 sales are bundled. That's why it only took less than 3 weeks for TLOU 2 to make more money in the US than TLOU PS4 Remaster.

TLOU Remake wasn't going to put up huge numbers because the original PS4 is out there and people are unlikely to buy it twice.

I watch people play TLOU 2 all the time on Twitch and the majority have enjoyed the game. There's always someone in the chat whining about how much they don't like the game and the twitch streamer always tries to get them to shut up. It's hilarious.

This is further proof that you don't know what you're talking about.
The fact that this discussion is ALWAYS brought up, in this intensity, whenever TLOU 2 is brought up, is more than proof enough that the game is widely hated.(other than its sales not being better than the first, etc)

TLOU 2 is one of the most hated games in history, by fans and youtube reviewers that are not beheld on giving out good scores just so they are not blacklisted.

TLOU 2 greatly damaged the franchise reputation, and that's just a fact. There isn't greater proof than sales numbers, and TLOU 2 selling slower than the first one(and at a lower price) and now the TLOU 1 Remake doing "okay" are further proof of that.

Washington Wizards Bruhh GIF by NBC Sports Washington

Madea Whats Wrong With You GIF by BET Plus

feynoob

Banned
Did sales debate become this rough?
I dont see Xbox consoles beating PS5 this year, with any 1st party games on sight.

Ps5 currently is getting GOW2, so the number of ps5s shipment would be high. That has been the case for each consoles, when they have big game coming during that period.
If Starfield didnt get delayed, MS might have made more consoles. But would that beat PS5? No idea.

Nautilus

Banned
You have a history of saying some ridiculous stuff on this forum. So your criticism is based on BS and all you're doing is embarrassing yourself.
What history? I'm always rational about my logic. If anything, you and the others are the ones that should be ashamed. Half of you can only call me names, as retard, embarassing, or just posting random gifs, instead of engaging on an actual discussion. Which is what I assumed this forum is about.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
The fact that this discussion is ALWAYS brought up, in this intensity, whenever TLOU 2 is brought up, is more than proof enough that the game is widely hated.(other than its sales not being better than the first, etc)
The game is hated by many people who didn't bother to even buy it.

TLOU 2 made more money than the first.

TLOU 1 was bundled for years to inflate sales. You can't ignore this fact.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
What history? I'm always rational about my logic. If anything, you and the others are the ones that should be ashamed. Half of you can only call me names, as retard, embarassing, or just posting random gifs, instead of engaging on an actual discussion. Which is what I assumed this forum is about.
Always? You're not even doing it now.

Tell me, why are you comparing the first game sales to the second when the first game was bundled for more than 5 years?

graywolf323

Gold Member
About the PS5 pricing....

Like its been pointed out ppl were buying from scalpers and outrageous bundles from retailers that were alot higher than $50 over retail.

The increase sucks....but it wasn't and isn't the end of the world.

And the price wasnt increased in NA. But looking at the UK charts.... and seeing it still doing ok numbers in Japan...

🤷‍♂️
GAF, much like Twitter, is not a reflection of the real world

honestly both the price increase & TLOU P1 being priced at $70 sucked and you'd think there would be massive backlash if just you went off reactions on here & Twitter but most people actually don't care

Nautilus

Banned
The game is hated by many people who didn't bother to even buy it.

TLOU 2 made more money than the first.

TLOU 1 was bundled for years to inflate sales. You can't ignore this fact.
Source? For the part that TLOU made more money, that is.

And for the first part, that's just your assumption and a prejudiced one at that. I bought and hated the game in the "right way"

Nautilus

Banned
Always? You're not even doing it now.

Tell me, why are you comparing the first game sales to the second when the first game was bundled for more than 5 years?
Of course. This is a forum where discussion is king. And the only "weapon" in a discussion is logic. Otherwise it would be a shouting contest, which is what the people replying to me are doing.

Because it only makes sense to compare the sequel sales numbers to its predecessors?Given that franchise growth is the best metric for a game's success?

SLB1904

Banned
GAF, much like Twitter, is not a reflection of the real world

honestly both the price increase & TLOU P1 being priced at $70 sucked and you'd think there would be massive backlash if just you went off reactions on here & Twitter but most people actually don't care
The fact is people pay for what they think is worth. People love to stick to an arbitrary number when in fact not every game should be priced the same. You have massive games costing $60 and 8hour games costing $60. People pay for what they think is worth. I mean I'm not bothered pay 70 for calisto or remake 4. At same time I can't be bother pay 60 for other games .

Nautilus

Banned
BRO.....you ARE having a meltdown right now.

UAcyPDp.png

Lkp4CuS.png

Animated GIF
Animated GIF
Animated GIF
Animated GIF

Take a break my guy......
That's not a meltdown. That's being a good user and actually replying to everyone quoting me.

Or should I ignore people? Would that make for a better discussion?

I don't get why people are mad that I am trying my best to treat everyone equaly.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Of course. This is a forum where discussion is king. And the only "weapon" in a discussion is logic. Otherwise it would be a shouting contest, which is what the people replying to me are doing.

Because it only makes sense to compare the sequel sales numbers to its predecessors?Given that franchise growth is the best metric for a game's success?
If they bundled The Last of Us Part II with PS4 consoles, then it would have sold much faster than the PS3/PS4 original.

If a game is bundled for more than 5 years, does that mean it will have a sales advantage or not? TLOU 1 had over 15 bundles.
Source? For the part that TLOU made more money, that is.

Uncharted was 6th

The Last of Us Remastered sold the majority of its copies on the PS4. How does it surpass TLOU 1 Remaster in less than 3 weeks on the market?
And for the first part, that's just your assumption and a prejudiced one at that. I bought and hated the game in the "right way"
Nope, that was you. You used YouTubers and said they only gave it a good score because they were afraid of getting blacklisted.

graywolf323

Gold Member
The fact is people pay for what they think is worth. People love to stick to an arbitrary number when in fact not every game should be priced the same. You have massive games costing $60 and 8hour games costing $60. People pay for what they think is worth. I mean I'm not bothered pay 70 for calisto or remake 4. At same time I can't be bother pay 60 for other games .
yeah also I think people on here were a bit spoiled by games staying at $60 for so long

PS1 games were largely $40, then it went up to $50 during PS2/Xbox and $60 during the PS3/360 era, going up to $70 for PS5/XBS after ~16-17 years at $60? you'd think the world was ending from the reactions here

xHunter

That's not a meltdown. That's being a good user and actually replying to everyone quoting me.

Or should I ignore people? Would that make for a better discussion?

I don't get why people are mad that I am trying my best to treat everyone equaly.
You can use the multi quote feature, no need to make 10 posts after another.

Nautilus

Banned
If they bundled The Last of Us Part II with PS4 consoles, then it would have sold much faster than the PS3/PS4 original.

If a game is bundled for more than 5 years, does that mean it will have a sales advantage or not? TLOU 1 had over 15 bundles.

Uncharted was 6th

The Last of Us Remastered sold the majority of its copies on the PS4. How does it surpass TLOU 1 Remaster in less than 3 weeks on the market?

Nope, that was you. You used YouTubers and said they only gave it a good score because they were afraid of getting blacklisted.

If

That's the key word. If.

But they didn't. And TLOU 1 sold faster. If we could use what ifs in discussions, we would argue forever.

That tweet refers to the US, and the US in not the world. I need a source that proves TLOU 2 made more profit overall.

And how you know that said youtubers, or people in general that didn't like the game, didn't play the game? That's another big if.

Last edited:

yazenov

Guys TLOU remake did great for a remake of a game that already sold millions on the previous console. For a $70 remake that I presume didn't cost Sony that much to remake, it's sold well. Put your feelings and hate for the game aside and talk numbers, not feelings.

Oh and Horizon 2, and GT7 sold extremely well looking at the top 20-dollar chart of 2022. People who were downplaying the sales of the games due to bundles look foolish right now since NPD doesn't count bundled sales.

Like it or not, Sony's 1st part games are juggernauts in this medium, and the next title is just on its way, God Of War 2. Sony will dominate 2022 no doubt if they can produce sufficient consoles to meet the demand of course.

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
If

That's the key word. If.

But they didn't. And TLOU 1 sold faster. If we could use what ifs in discussions, we would argue forever.
If is in reference to their decision to bundle it. It WILL succeed because it comes with the console with every purchase and it will boost sales.

You're still jumping over the point; Why are you comparing TLOU 2 sales to the first when the TLOU 1 was bundled for 5+ years? It's not a 1 to 1 comparison. TLOU 2 would also make more money because TLOU 1 was given away for free.

That's like saying Astrobots playroom sold more than all of Sony's first party titles, even though it's free on PS5.

That tweet refers to the US, and the US in not the world. I need a source that proves TLOU 2 made more profit overall.

Europe is the biggest PlayStation market followed by the US.
EEogbTH.jpg

More than 20 bundles throughout the past 8 years (more than 15 on PS4)

Third best-selling published game in US history, and that's for the entirety of the Last of Us.

Last of Us Part II launched better than The Last of Us across all regions

Here's a 6-week comparison between The Last of Us: Part II, God of War (2018), and The Last of Us.

PLEASE NOTE THAT THESE NUMBERS ARE ALL ESTIMATES AND NOT PROVIDED DATA

[PS4] The Last of Us: Part II {2020.06.19}

Week 1: 194.000
Week 2: 38.800 / 232.800 (-80%)
Week 3: 18.236 / 251.036 (-53%)
Week 4: 9.483 / 260.519 (-48%)
Week 5: 6.828 / 267.347 (-28%)
Week 6: ?? (No.6 and <6.600 / <274k)

[PS4] God of War (2018) {2018.04.20}
Week 1: 96.000
Week 2: 62.400 / 158.400 (-35%)
Week 3: 27.456 / 185.856 (-56%)
Week 4: 19.219 / 205.075 (-30%)
Week 5: 12.493 / 217.568 (-35%)
Week 6: 13.118 / 230.686 (+5%)

[PS3] The Last of Us {2013.06.14}
Week 1: 110.000
Week 2: 57.200 / 167.200 (-48%)
Week 3: 37.180 / 204.380 (-35%)
Week 4: 20.077 / 224.457 (-46%)
Week 5: 11.444 / 235.901 (-43%)
Week 6: 8.926 / 244.827 (-22%)

Remember, this is without digital data and digital sales are much bigger in comparison to 2013-2014.

I can show more data that proves TLOU outperformed the original and the remaster. Only way the sales were increased outside of sales charts if it was BUNDLED.

If a game performs better physically and digitally then what does that mean? Bundles made up the difference and it was inflated.

Klayzer

If is in reference to their decision to bundle it. It WILL succeed because it comes with the console with every purchase and it will boost sales.

You're still jumping over the point; Why are you comparing TLOU 2 sales to the first when the TLOU 1 was bundled for 5+ years? It's not a 1 to 1 comparison. TLOU 2 would also make more money because TLOU 1 was given away for free.

That's like saying Astrobots playroom sold more than all of Sony's first party titles, even though it's free on PS5.

Europe is the biggest PlayStation market followed by the US.
EEogbTH.jpg

More than 20 bundles throughout the past 8 years (more than 15 on PS4)

Third best-selling published game in US history, and that's for the entirety of the Last of Us.

Last of Us Part II launched better than The Last of Us across all regions

[/URL]

Here's a 6-week comparison between The Last of Us: Part II, God of War (2018), and The Last of Us.

[/URL]

Remember, this is without digital data and digital sales are much bigger in comparison to 2013-2014.

I can show more data that proves TLOU outperformed the original and the remaster. Only way the sales were increased outside of sales charts if it was BUNDLED.

If a game performs better physically and digitally then what does that mean? Bundles made up the difference and it was inflated.

ZbhVl9P.gif

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
PS5 is in demand and will win the holiday months as well (October, November, December)

The power of Playstation is unimaginable. It' like an earthquake of power surging though veins.

hulk-hulk-out.gif

The cycle for the Switch is starting to fade. Which is predictable since it is close to entering its seventh year. To be honest it is doing better than I would have expected.

Congratulations to Sony. Things are looking up.
Switch has had a great run and has been the best selling hardware from 2019 to 2022. However IMO this will be the last time that Switch will sell 20 million in a calendar year and it will also be the last year that Switch will be number one worldwide, I expect PS5 to sell the most in 2023.

Calendar year Shipments

WRBLzLU.png

Last edited:
PS5 is in demand and will win the holiday months as well (October, November, December)

The power of Playstation is unimaginable. It' like an earthquake of power surging though veins.

hulk-hulk-out.gif
If PS5 win November NPD (by unit) then it will be something as Nintendo traditionally almost always win that month.

EDIT: I meant December obviously as it's Christmas month.

Last edited:

Nautilus

Banned
Switch has had a great run and has been the best selling hardware from 2019 to 2022. However IMO this will be the last year that Switch will sell 20 million in a calendar year and it will also be the last year that Switch will be number one worldwide, I expect PS5 to sell the most in 2023.

Calendar year Shipments

WRBLzLU.png
Probably, yeah. PS5 will remain as the best selling console until Nintendo launches its 10th gen system, and it gains some traction(So within the second or third year)

Switch has had a great run and has been the best selling hardware from 2019 to 2022. However IMO this will be the last year that Switch will sell 20 million in a calendar year and it will also be the last year that Switch will be number one worldwide, I expect PS5 to sell the most in 2023.

Calendar year Shipments

WRBLzLU.png

That's pretty much a guarantee. Switch is on the decline now where as PS5 is still on the up. Sony will ship 20m+ PS5s next year. They will sell the most worldwide until Switch 2.

Last edited:

bender

What time is it?

Calendar year Shipments

WRBLzLU.png
giphy.gif

Top Bottom