• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

test_account

XP-39C²
Mpl90 said:
cream didn't give us any number about it.
...But if Wii's performance is a sign of what we could expect from the 3DS version, I prefer to NOT knowing it EVER.
How much did the Wii version sell? :) But is there any indication on how the 3DS version sold, since you said that the result is so awful?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
test_account said:
How much did the Wii version sell? :) But is there any indication on how the 3DS version sold, since you said that the result is so awful?

UNDER ONE THOUSAND COPIES.
No, there's no indication about how 3DS version could have sold... but at this point I don't want to know it :(

Kusagari

Sho_Nuff82 said:
GT5 was #8 (combined SKUs) last year @ 399k, DKCR was #6 @ 430k, Fable 3 was #5 @ 551k, and Just Dance 2 was #3 @ 664k.

The top 20 would literally have to double in sales for your prediction to make sense. Zelda is about as good a lock to make the top 10 as any game up there. My prediction for actual top 10:

1) MW3 ~ 9 million
2) AC: Revelations ~ 1.4 million
3) Zelda Skyward Sword ~ 1.2 million
4) Just Dance 3 ~ 750k
5) Skyrim ~ 650k
6) Uncharted 3 ~ 600k
7) Madden 2012 ~ 500k
8) NFS: The Run ~ 500k
9) Halo CE HD ~ 400k
10) Super Mario 3D Land ~ 400k

OOT 3D sold a little less than 300k when the 3DS was tanking, Mario should do a bit better, and it will probably explode in December. Bad Company 2 had terrible legs on PS3 and 360, I don't see BF3 doing another million in November, probably around 350k. SR3 will probably just miss the top 10.

NBA2K12 will probably be in there as well. And there's no way BF3 collapses to under 400k in November, the prime shopping month of the year.

test_account

XP-39C²
Mpl90 said:
No, there's no indication about how 3DS version could have sold... but at this point I don't want to know it :(
Damn, that is low indeed. But on the positive side, this game could be a rare game in the future =)

BurntPork said:
I'm no good at this sales-age stuff, okay? :( Zelda will be high, probably just missing the top 5.
You said top ten.

Cutting your prediction in half seems pretty cowardly.

What happened to "I am right way more often than I am wrong" BurntPork?

I make no guess as to where Zelda will rank next month, but I am amused by "IT WON'T BE TOP TEN" to "IT WILL BARELY MISS THE TOP FIVE." Is the next prediction going to be that it won't be #1?

Mpl90

Himself said:
Under 1,000 copies?!?! God damn that's harsh. Well, I got it and I'm happy.

You're one of the one thousand people who bought it in September.
You're almost unique. Be proud of it and tell to everyone you're one of the destined who bought this rarity.
SHUOT LOUD TO THEM THAT YOU'RE BETTER THAN THEM, AND SHOW THEM THE GAME YOU GOT!

However, Bit Trip is not as dramatic as Spyborg's result. That game had under 600 copies sold in its opening month. :lol :lol :lol

V_Arnold

BurntPork said:
The bold definitely most likely won't make it into the top 10, and the underlined are unlikely to due to either launching before November or being a remake. I think U3 has a shot.

A Halo game not getting into the top10 in an NPD? Really? Wow, that is a bold claim. A very bold one :D

Mpl90

ShockingAlberto said:
You said top ten.

I make no guess as to where Zelda will rank next month, but I am amused by "IT WON'T BE TOP TEN" to "IT WILL BARELY MISS THE TOP FIVE." Is the next prediction going to be that it won't be #1?

His next prediction is that the world will end before NPD November datas are released, so technically Skyward Sword cannot be in top10.

BurntPork

Banned
ShockingAlberto said:
You said top ten.

If I don't admit that I'm wrong: "BURNTPORK YOU NEED TO ADMIT WHEN YOU ARE WRONG!!!"

If I admit that I'm wrong: "YOU'RE A FUCKING COWARD SHUT UP EAT SHIT AND DIE!!"

I have no prediction. Will that make you happy? Or do I just need to leave? I'm a coward. I'll paint myself yellow and put on a chicken suit!

Kusagari

My Prediction for Nov:

1. MW3 - 8-9 mill
2. AC: Revelations - 1.3 mill
3. Skyward Sword - 1.0 mill
4. Skyrim - 900k
5. Just Dance 3 - 700k
6. Uncharted 3 - 525k
7. Battlefield 3 - 500k
8. Halo CE - 475k
9. NFS The Run - 450k
10. Madden 2012 - 450k
11. NBA 2K12 - 425k
12. Mario Land 3D - 400k

Did everything I think will break 400k. Poor Mario Land.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Does NPD count Black Friday sale stuff too?, that might push the TOP into all million sellers

Mpl90

BurntPork said:
If I don't admit that I'm wrong: "BURNTPORK YOU NEED TO ADMIT WHEN YOU ARE WRONG!!!"

I have no prediction. Will that make you happy? Or do I just need to leave? I'm a coward. I'll paint myself yellow and put on a duck suit!

Fixed
Heeeeeeeeeeeee eheheheheheh

Kusagari said:
My Prediction for Nov:

1. MW3 - 8-9 mill
2. AC: Revelations - 1.3 mill
3. Skyward Sword - 1.0 mill
4. Skyrim - 900k
5. Just Dance 3 - 700k
6. Uncharted 3 - 525k
7. Battlefield 3 - 500k
8. Halo CE - 475k
9. NFS The Run - 450k
10. Madden 2012 - 450k
11. NBA 2K12 - 425k
12. Mario Land 3D - 400k

Did everything I think will break 400k. Poor Mario Land.

Like it for the most part, I think Madden will be higher and NBA lower. Also think that there will be some Kinect games doing over 400K for the month.(not sure which ones)

test_account said:
There are many shades of yellow, he didnt say which shade, so it could make sense :)
If he paints his body, you can't see it if he is wearing a chicken suit over it.

BurntPork said:
It'll be painted yellow and then tarred and feathered.
Well ok.

Take pics.

GraveRobberX said:
Does NPD count Black Friday sale stuff too?, that might push the TOP into all million sellers

A sale is a sale either at full price or discounted price. They don't count bundled games from the console maker but do count bundled games from stores.

Effect

Zelda will certainly make the list but how high really depends on how high the pre-orders are now and what kind of advertising blitz NCL (I fully expect NoA to be in puppet mode here with NCL taking a hands on approach.) does. It's coming on the 20th and will only be on sale for a week and a half in November. I expect the December numbers to be even better though then it's November numbers. Super Mario 3D Land I doubt will make it in November. December though is a completely different story. I expect parents and other buyers to buy Mario Kart 7 and Super Mario 3D Land at the same time they buy 3DS units.

Though as suggest Black Friday could be key here. Lots of parents, grand parents, etc out and about and early looking for deals. Hard to say what sells better here though. The last few times I've gotten dragged out most of the games sections end up being barren after people have gone through them.

test_account said:
Sure, if the investment is high and the room for profit is small, then that is a big risk. This could mean that a serie doesnt get more sequels. It is in many cases very hard to know in advance exactly how a game will be received though, so many times it is almost a pure gamble. But being profitable is better than not being profitable :) If the profit is very small, at least that means getting their money back that can be used to investing in the next project. So there is still some positive things to it. That is what i mostly was thinking about.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opportunity_cost

statham

06nbarnhill said:
What an insightful and informative post. True quality here.

Anyways. Killzone 2 sold 1.8 million units so far. So meh....but not terrible.
not my problem, killzone sells like shit.

Codeblue

BurntPork said:

I have no prediction. Will that make you happy? Or do I just need to leave? I'm a coward. I'll paint myself yellow and put on a chicken suit!

You aren't wrong yet.

statham

06nbarnhill said:
Yes.....it is.....one word, inflammatory, posts are likely to get you banned.
killzone, the halo killer as it was labeled, all the screenshots still don't come close to HALO SALES, how am I crazy? killzone in no Halo or even close. halo is a better review, played, game. you saying otherwise should get you banned. or should one of us be banned for prefering a game.. really?

corkscrewblow said:
Sony needs to kill the Resistance franchise. It's bad, and two FPS franchises doesn't make any sense for them.

cassie7.jpg

jstevenson

Sailor Stevenson
test_account said:
How much has it been aired? And what is MNF, monday night fever? :) I dont live in the US.

What matters for the publishers is profitability. Or how do you mean that it doesnt matter?

I don't believe Resistance 3 had a Monday Night Football ad. We did a couple NFL games, we had more college football ESPN stuff. Don't remember the exact breakdown.

And you are right, profitability (and to some extent ROI), in the end is bigger than sales at a publisher level. Sales of course, is a part of that mixture that determines both, but you can also drive it by holding down costs/

statham said:
killzone, the halo killer as it was labeled, all the screenshots still don't come close to HALO SALES, how am I crazy? killzone in no Halo or even close. halo is a better review, played, game. you saying otherwise should get you banned.

Wait.....it is 2011 right?

If a game is "shit" if it sells less than Halo then we all better just quit now. You make no sense at all. You seem to be inventing arguments that haven't been fought on these boards in years. Halo is really irrelevant to the discussion at hand.

AniHawk

Mpl90 said:

it did better than the wii version, but not by a whole lot. the multiplier from the wii version to get to the 3ds version is greater than two if that's any help.

Huff

Banned
statham said:
killzone, the halo killer as it was labeled, all the screenshots still don't come close to HALO SALES, how am I crazy? killzone in no Halo or even close. halo is a better review, played, game. you saying otherwise should get you banned. or should one of us be banned for prefering a game.. really?
What the hell are you talking about?

Top Bottom