• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

AniHawk

Gravijah said:
what about uncharted 3

that game hasn't been selling at all. when i went back to my store to check the stock, the manager yelled at me and called the cops because i haven't worked there in three years and also because it was a different manager who didn't know me.

so yeah, not good news for uncharted 3.

spwolf

UC is newer series than GoW, so obviously it wont be as front loaded.... Both are epic. And at the end, all we should hope is for all of them to sell good enough for Sony to fund next one :). Rest of it is just having fun in sales thread.

R3 I think suffered from Insomniac announcement of going multiplatform. Like it or not.

Gravijah

AniHawk said:
that game hasn't been selling at all. when i went back to my store to check the stock, the manager yelled at me and called the cops because i haven't worked there in three years and also because it was a different manager who didn't know me.

so yeah, not good news for uncharted 3.

honestly, sony must have undershipped it because i haven't been able to find it in any stores.

spwolf said:
UC is newer series than GoW, so obviously it wont be as front loaded....

yeah, 2 and a half years is a very long time.

Sean

Banned
kneePat said:
Also I like Resistance but I believe the release date screwed you guys over and I feel that All 4 One is in even worse shape.

How did the release date screw over Resistance 3? It had a perfect release date - pretty much an entire month to itself with absolutely no competition.

It's not like it was going head to head against Battlefield 3 and Modern Warfare 3 or anything.

Kusagari

spwolf said:
UC is newer series than GoW, so obviously it wont be as front loaded.... Both are epic. And at the end, all we should hope is for all of them to sell good enough for Sony to fund next one :). Rest of it is just having fun in sales thread.

R3 I think suffered from Insomniac announcement of going multiplatform. Like it or not.

Seriously? 0.01% of the gamers on the planet knew and/or cared about that. The gaming public generally considering R2 a turd is why 3 did so bad.

Averon

spwolf said:

No. Resistance never had a big, loyal following--its support was soft. R2 did some serious damage to the series which made it easy for people to give up on it. If Resistance went to Uncharted route (good, but not great game followed by a fantastic sequel), then R3 would have performed much, much better.

A franchise with a strong, loyal fanbase can recover from a bad sequel (see MGS->MGS2). But a franchise with soft support getting a bad sequel is a death kneel to the franchise.

Yoboman

shintoki said:
Shipment figures for both were in the 4millions if I recall, except there has been one difference. Uncharted 2 has been bundled, giveaway, re-released, and repackaged. GoWIII hasn't received half the help UC2 been given. I don't really think you can say its a stronger franchise, since its been pushed far harder.

UC2 is just short of five million now, the GOW numbers I can find place them around 2.5 - 3 million. As for everything else; Completely false. God of War really took off when it went platinum before then it was a real slow burn. It was also the case with GOW2 which recieved a similar bump. GoW was marketed well, it also had the benefit of a far bigger userbase.

AniHawk said:
in the states, where npd reports numbers, no uncharted has sold more than any god of war.

not sure what the reporting period will be for october (i'm guessing it'll go from october 2-october 28), but uncharted will basically have an entire first month of sales, from the start of november, all the way through black friday. it's going to do very well.
While true that UC has never debuted as high, UC2's worldwide LTD far exceeding any GOW game indicates that may not be the case for their lifetime sales. I believe the increased popularity of the franchise due to UC2 may mean we'll see a significant boost over UC2's 500k debut month

Yoboman

Roland Deschain said:
So strange that MS isn't bragging about how Gears sold x amount of copies in a single week.
Apparently they sold 3 million in a week or so

Somehow I find that hard to believe given it came in second here in its biggest market

Rad-

Yoboman said:

Somehow I find that hard to believe given it came in second here in its biggest market

MS already said Gears 3 sold over 2 million in this NPD. 800-900k in EU is realistic, making it 3 million worldwide.

Brakara

Yoboman said:

The position is a meaningless indicator of numbers of copies sold. Gears sold more than 2 million in the US, which just means that Madden sold more (combined).

And if you think it is hard to believe Madden sold more than 2m, then where have you been the last few years?

Cheech

Resistance 3 bombing is no reflection on the game itself. It really was good, and the dev should be proud.

That said, it was stone cold idiocy to essentially put it up against Gears. R3 could have knocked it out of the park in the spring/summer.

Was there some dickery involved on Sony's part to do this to "thank" Insomniac for going multiplatform? Probably not, but it certainly didn't do anybody any favors to launch when they did. As good as R3 was, Gears 3 was leaps and bounds better, and everybody knew this well in advance of September.

Road

Making the distinction between worldwide, US, JP, EU etc. is really hard for some people. I'd rather it were just ignorance instead of fanboyism, but I'm not sure.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Cheech said:
Resistance 3 bombing is no reflection on the game itself. It really was good, and the dev should be proud.

That said, it was stone cold idiocy to essentially put it up against Gears. R3 could have knocked it out of the park in the spring/summer.

Was there some dickery involved on Sony's part to do this to "thank" Insomniac for going multiplatform? Probably not, but it certainly didn't do anybody any favors to launch when they did. As good as R3 was, Gears 3 was leaps and bounds better, and everybody knew this well in advance of September.
Gears and Resistance are exclusives, so people who only own a 360 or PS3 have access to only one game. Resistance doesn't have a good fanbase either so it needed a solid marketing push by Sony; sort of like what MS did with Homefront. But we know Sony was always going to push Uncharted 3 first, so these sales are expected.

EagleEyes

Yoboman said:

I know its hard for you to give a 360 game any credit but come on man. Just read this very thread and you will see it sold over 2 million here in the states and it also was the biggest launch in the UK this year.

Cheech

Meisadragon said:
Gears and Resistance are exclusives, so people who only own a 360 or PS3 have access to only one game. Resistance doesn't have a good fanbase either so it needed a solid marketing push by Sony; sort of like what MS did with Homefront. But we know Sony was always going to push Uncharted 3 first, so these sales are expected.

I don't buy the "exclusives" excuse. At this point in the generation, how many gamer type dudes don't have both? I bought R3, I bought Gears 3, but if I didn't have the scratch to buy both? Pretty easy decision there.

Was there any hype behind Resi 3 at all? I remember KZ3 having loads of hype with various snow/ jetpack/ eye gouging gifs being posted in many different threads here while Resistance... nothing even though an Insomniac guy posts here.

Game was simply sent to die no matter on which platform. It was Sony's 2011 Haze.

Massa

Unfortunately SCEA didn't give a shit about Resistance 3. The fact that they launched an Uncharted 3 TV ad campaign on the same day that it was released says it all.

The game is fantastic and will do fine in the long run. I hope Insomniac finds a better partner in EA (as in, the EA that is launching Mass Effect and Battlefield, not the one that launched Alice or Shadows of the Damned).

Road said:
Is there any doubt it was Madden?

AtRC9.png

Just wondering, that's all. :\

fernoca said:
Plus even "back then", God of War II launched with relatively high numbers; even when "next gen consoles" were already out:

March 2007
  1. PS2: God of War II - 833k
  2. 360: Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter - 394k
  3. 360: Guitar Hero II w/ guitar - 291k
  4. Wii: Wii Play w/ remote - 273k
  5. PS3: Motorstorm - 199k
  6. NDS: Diddy Kong Racing - 189k
  7. NDS: Spectrobes - 165k
  8. 360: Major League Baseball 2K7 - 165k
  9. PS2: MLB '07: The Show -164k
  10. 360: Def Jam ICON - 148k

I'd love to see Uncharted 3 with at least 1 million, but following a similar "bump" from 2-3 like God of War did; Uncharted will probably end with around 800k. Hope it's way more than that anyway.

It's easy to sell big numbers back then. GOW didn't have any competition and that's why the numbers were so big. Look just a month eariler and you'll see Rainbow Six 2 pulling almost the same numbers and Army of Two pulling bigger numbers than Uncharted 2 did in it's first month and that is just on only the 360 (remember userbase numbers 4 1/2 years ago). It's all about competition and how games compete with other games is how they are going to sell.

WII: SUPER SMASH BROS: BRAWL: 2.7m
360: RAINBOW SIX: VEGAS 2: 752.3K
360: ARMY OF TWO: 606.1K
WII: WII PLAY: 409.8K
PSP: GOD OF WAR: CHAINS OF OLYMPUS: 340.5K
PSP: CRISIS CORE: FINAL FANTASY VII: 301.6K
WII: GUITAR HERO III: 264.1K
360: MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL 2K8: 237.1K
360: *CALL OF DUTY 4: 237K
PS3: ARMY OF TWO: 224.9K

Roland Deschain said:
So strange that MS isn't bragging about how Gears sold x amount of copies in a single week.
Yoboman said:

Quotes and sources for you guys:
“Gears of War 3” launched on September 20 and sales have already soared past three million copies worldwide in the first week, pushing the franchise beyond one billion dollars in lifetime sales.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=31791887#post31791887
NPD shows Xbox 360 #1 selling console in Sept, 438K units and Gears 3 #1 title with over 2M units sold-through.
http://twitter.com/#!/aarongreenberg/status/124598510866792448

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Curufinwe said:
Holy shit I can't ebelieve Army of Two sold that well.
The second one didn't do half bad in LTDs either.

The series is still quite successful, which is why they're rebooting it and making a third one.

General Shank-a-snatch said:
http://i.imgur.com/AtRC9.png[IMG]

Just wondering, that's all. :\[/QUOTE]
I think it's third or fourth, since FIFA definitely did better and unless Dead Island was incredibly lopsided, that would have done better as well.

Dabanton

I see games that have been overlooked like the Sims Pets and Disney universe selling very well as they are both across 4 formats.

Well whatever happens, next NPD will be a bloodbath. I can see a lot of good games on this list. But how many people can seriously say they have the time or money to get more than 4 of these games.

18 Oct 2011

Batman: Arkham City
The Sims 3 Pets
PowerUp Heroes

24 Oct 2011

Kirby’s Return to Dream Land

25 Oct 2011

Battlefield 3
Kinect Sports Season 2
Just Dance Kids 2
Dragon Ball Z: Ultimate Tenkaichi
Dance Central 2
Disney Universe

November 1st:
Uncharted 3: Drake's Deception
Sonic Generations
Raving Rabbids: Alive & Kicking
The Lord of the Rings: War in the North
GoldenEye 007: Reloaded
Cabelas Survival: Shadows of Katmai

November 8th:
Metal Gear Solid HD Collection
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3
L.A. Noire: The Complete Edition

November 11th:
The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

November 13th
Super Mario 3D Land

November 15th:
Need For Speed: The Run
Assassin's Creed: Revelations
Halo Anniversary
Saints Row: The Third
Rayman Origin's
Ratchet and Clank: All 4 One
Jurassic Park - The Game
Kinect Disney Land
Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3
Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7

November 20th:
Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

November 22nd:
WWE 12
King of Fighters XIII
Tekken Hybrid

Raide

Great numbers for Gears but to be expected. Now rest the franchise till Xbox720 appears and then announce a game based around that Samaritan tech demo.

Nirolak said:
The second one didn't do half bad in LTDs either.

The series is still quite successful, which is why they're rebooting it and making a third one.

Really? Thats good news. Had a good laugh playing the second one in co-op. Some interesting ideas so it will be interesting to see how they reboot it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Raide said:
Really? Thats good news. Had a good laugh playing the second one in co-op. Some interesting ideas so it will be interesting to see how they reboot it.
We know a little bit from resumes and job postings, assuming it still holds accurate:

-Four player co-op
-Frostbite 2
-Completely new senior staff
-Split between Visceral Montreal and Visceral Los Angeles
-Given the lack of an announcement, over two years of development cycle

At the minimum, it should certainly be different.

Tying this back to sales, it should also be interesting to see how it sells in a year with no competition from Gears or Uncharted and being notably far away from Max Payne and Mass Effect.

Draft said:
Sony should retool the Resistance franchise so that it appeals more to the dudebro crowd.

Maybe make it about soldiers shooting the shit out of alien monsters.

Wait a second...
Ha.

Killzone and Resistance are an interesting slice of Sony's marketing machine; they are two of only a handful of shooters that try to wrap the franchise around iconic antagonists instead of iconic protagonists.

It's simple association:

Gears = Marcus and Dom
CoD = 'merica
Halo = Spartan/Master Chief
Metal Gear = Snake
Splinter Cell = Fisher
Mass Effect = Shepherd
Uncharted = Drake (his name is in the title!)
Killzone = Helghast
Resistance = Chimera
Bioshock = Big Daddies

Bioshock got away with it, but Bioshock is also one of the more bizarre shooters on the market.

Insomniac's new IP seems to be far more character (and co-op) driven, it should help it stand out more as long as it remains a solid game like their previous efforts.

Averon said:
No. Resistance never had a big, loyal following--its support was soft. R2 did some serious damage to the series which made it easy for people to give up on it. If Resistance went to Uncharted route (good, but not great game followed by a fantastic sequel), then R3 would have performed much, much better.

A franchise with a strong, loyal fanbase can recover from a bad sequel (see MGS->MGS2). But a franchise with soft support getting a bad sequel is a death kneel to the franchise.

TONY-JAA-2-B-150x150.jpg

Knell

Gravijah said:
halo and metal gear both have very iconic antagonists, imo.
The Reach commercials consisted of little more than Spartans running through a war-torn battlefield.

Sony's new live/play commercial has an easily recognizable Solid Snake (and Kratos) sitting at the bar.

Which is not to say those games don't have iconic villains, but people will follow the franchises toward whatever adventures the hero gets into. Can the average GAFer tell you who the lead character is in KZ or Resistance?

There are fan clubs for fem-Sheperd's voice actress.

Drake has a commercial currently airing where he winks at the camera while holding a Subway cup.

Iconic characters are a huge part of brand awareness.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sho_Nuff82 said:
Ha.

Killzone and Resistance are an interesting slice of Sony's marketing machine; they are two of only a handful of shooters that try to wrap the franchise around iconic antagonists instead of iconic protagonists.

It's simple association:

Gears = Marcus and Dom
CoD = 'merica
Halo = Spartan/Master Chief
Metal Gear = Snake
Splinter Cell = Fisher
Mass Effect = Shepherd
Uncharted = Drake (his name is in the title!)
Killzone = Helghast
Resistance = Chimera
Bioshock = Big Daddies

Bioshock got away with it, but Bioshock is also one of the more bizarre shooters on the market.

Insomniac's new IP seems to be far more character (and co-op) driven, it should help it stand out more as long as it remains a solid game like their previous efforts.
What's most interesting about Resistance and Killzone is that the antagonist is not really an iconic character either, but primarily a design.

BioShock on the other hand had Andrew Ryan.

Had BioShock 2 been a prequel focusing on him, I think people would have been more interested.

With BioShock Infinite though they switched the focus back to the protagonists.

Cruzader

Banned
spwolf said:

Nope. Has nothing to do with that.

It's from a collection of marketing, IP not being that well received and ps3 owners lack of buying software that's not COD,Madden etc.

GOW3 is still the best selling ps3 title to date and that's kinda sad. It seems older IPs do better on PS3. Hell even on PSN, older classic games sell more than new PSN releases such as those going on "only on PSN" even when priced at $10. That's a sad thing to witness.

MrPliskin

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
I'm glad R3 flopped,it's what they get for copying cod with multiayer and not being themselves.uncharted 3 will sell over 1 million guaranteed in nov.
Willing to put a ban bet on this?

Infamous Chris - Outside of being a Gears fan, what do you have against Resistance? More importantly, why do you think it won't hit 1 mil sales?

Gravijah said:
halo and metal gear both have very iconic antagonists, imo.
As a non-Halo player I know diddly about Halo's bad guys, but there's no way I could avoid Master Chief over the last decade; splashed across covers, commercials, and sodas.

It feels like PS3 owner just don't even know these great games are coming out. I still need to buy Infamous 2 and Resistance 3 but just have so much to catch up on. A year without a ton of great games coming out would be great for me.

MrPliskin

Banned
StoppedInTracks said:
So Gears 3 sold more than 11x what R3 did? The math is so cruel it hurts.
Well, Gears also enjoyed a marketing budget that was probably 11x larger as well (clearly hyperbole, but you get the point), in addition to having massive dude bro appeal and a bigger following. I'd wager the Gears franchise marketing budget alone would be enough to fund 3 or 4 more games at Insomniac. While sales are important, there is also a lot to be said about budget.

Huff

Banned
MrPliskin said:
Willing to put a ban bet on this?

Infamous Chris - Outside of being a Gears fan, what do you have against Resistance? More importantly, why do you think it won't hit 1 mil sales?

It's published by Sony

Top Bottom