• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
MightyHedgehog said:
Wha?! Besides the act of shooting, what's so similar about them? That's like saying LBP and Mario are the same because they both focus on lots of jumping.
Kenak said:
Er, Call of Duty and Gears of War are nothing alike, gameplay wise? I haven't been following the discussion, so maybe I'm wrong in my interpretation of the comment..
I meant compared to their predecessors. Wasn't comparing COD and Gears lol.

Huff

Banned
TheOddOne said:
I know it sounds crazy, but I think it will happen.

I dont think they would go back to a 2 year dev cycle (or maybe they would), so that would put the game in 2014 (2013). Insomniac is busy with their multiplat game, right? So they wouldn't be the ones making this game anyway.

I don't see a plus of trying to squeeze out another game at the end of this console cycle.

I also think that Resistance's best shot at a comeback is at the PS4 launch. Shiny new next gen engine will draw in skeptics and graphics whores, and Sony should finally have their party chat/cross-game chat shit figured out.

MrPliskin said:
I think it's debatable as to which game is better (for the latest installment) as far as quality is concerned. I believe both are on par for being excellent titles for what they earned.
But I'm not talking about the latest installment only. That is viewing things in a vacuum which did not affect sales.

Resistance 2 being mediocre and Gears 2 being generally well-liked by the audiences that tend to get these games day one probably has more to do with the sales than the quality of the latest installment.

TheOddOne

BroHuffman said:
I dont think they would go back to a 2 year dev cycle (or maybe they would), so that would put the game in 2014 (2013). Insomniac is busy with their multiplat game, right? So they wouldn't be the ones making this game anyway.

I don't see a plus of trying to squeeze out another game at the end of this console cycle.
Wasn't their other team working on the multiplat game? Its been in developement side-by-side with Resistance (If I remember correctly).

The engine is there, add some more improvements, so a two year dev-cycle would not be so crazy.

I vastly preferred R3 to Gears 3, but im also not delusional enough to think the rest of the world would also. Here's the thing, we all like different stuff.

Gears is a great series. While I was disapointed with the third game, that doesn't make it any less of landmark series this gen. Resistance wasn't that. It was a neat little shooter with fun weapons. And I, personally, think they nailed it perfectly with the third game... and it will go down as an underrated gem - or hell, with those numbers, a cult classic.

Bottom line is who cares? I mean, I know that's silly to say in a NPD thread... this thread is all about caring about sales but what I think people (like our R3 fanboy/avatar guy up above) seem to forget that sales does not equal quality. And the inverse is also true, just because you're counter culture and hip doesn't mean the band you saw that only had 2 people in the audience was 'brilliant.' But what does matter is if you enjoyed it.

I enjoyed Resistance 3. A lot.

As I stated on the previous page, Resistance as a franchise is not something I see Sony pushing ahead with. If Insomniac have a multi-platform title with lots of potential, that will become the focus.

Huff

Banned
TheOddOne said:
Wasn't their other team working on the multiplat game? Its been in developement side-by-side with Resistance (If I remember correctly).

How many teams do they have? 3? They also have a social/phones team now too

Phloxy

They need to stop trying to advertise there shitty PS Move controllers, almost all my casual gaming friends see that and assume it's some sort of light gun game an lose all interest.

Proelite

IMO, Resistance's presentation is too abstract, inconsistent, and non-impactful in this generation of shooters. I think the problem has always liked with the presentation of Resistance since I believe there is nothing wrong with the storyline / gameplay (R3), not to mention that a lot of people don't buy games on launch day based on how good the gameplay is.

This is what I would think if I've never played a Resistance game before.

I am fighting some aliens in a destroyed America. Some cool weapons. Decent graphics.

Compared to Gears:

Some dudebros fighting some great looking aliens. WTF is this. Graphics are great though. OMG did that gun have a chainsaw? Holy shit he just pounded that alien's head in.

Compared to MW:

OMFG this like an action movie. The graphics are awesome. This is totally up my alley.

Agent X

I have to admit that it's disappointing to see Resistance 3 sell only 180,000 in nearly 4 weeks. Perhaps R2 disappointed a number of people and turned them off of a sequel, but personally I think R3 is a great game, and it deserves more sales.

Meisadragon said:
Insomniac tinkered with MP component way too much. They really should have included the 8-player co-op from Resistance 2.

I enjoy the multiplayer game in R3, but it doesn't seem as "special" as either of the first two games. Both of the earlier games had the capability for HUGE multiplayer matches, and R2 had the great cooperative mode as well. R3's multiplayer, while good in and of itself, doesn't stand out from the multiplayer pack the same way that the other games did.

Meisadragon said:
I hope we see Resistance 4 on the PS4, though. Fresh new start on a new hardware can do wonders.

I agree. Meanwhile, we'll have Resistance: Burning Skies on the PS Vita to carry the torch for a little longer. After that, we will hopefully see the next game in the series as an early PS4 title.

TheOddOne

BroHuffman said:
How many teams do they have? 3? They also have a social/phones team now too
I think the social group is very small, I remember reading it was a group of three people in the announcement (might have grown since then).

apana

I think Wii sales will get a boost from Skyward Sword. People will buy the game because it has "Sword" in the title, which indicates to the general audience out there that they will get to use a sword in the game. Skyward Sword will also sell over the long term. I told myself I would buy a PS3 when it reached $250 but I still haven't gotten around to it, I wonder if Last Guardian will be released on the system or not.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Resistance 3 probably did so badly because of Resistance 2. You can't shit out a turd like that and expect people to go for a sequel when games like CoD, Gears and Battlefield are around.

French

Banned
Resistance 1 sold a lot ( because it was a good launch game and because of the bundles ) and had a good word of mouth, it could have been a "big" franchise but R2 ruined everything, and Resistance Vita will probably do more harm than good too.

R2 sold 600k+ during its first two months in the US, R3 will probably never reach that.

Sony should reboot it on PS4 ( not necessarily at launch ).

TheOddOne

Does anybody know the sales of PlayStation Move Heroes, PlayStation Move Ape Escape or The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection?

Ridley327

TheOddOne said:
Does anybody know the sales of PlayStation Move Heroes, PlayStation Move Ape Escape or The Ico & Shadow of the Colossus Collection?
Team Ico Collection is said to be 92k.

Don't think we ever got any numbers for Move Heroes or Ape Escape, and the only LBP2 numbers we ever got before it disappeared was the 353k it did in its first month.

ShockingAlberto said:
But I'm not talking about the latest installment only. That is viewing things in a vacuum which did not affect sales.

Resistance 2 being mediocre and Gears 2 being generally well-liked by the audiences that tend to get these games day one probably has more to do with the sales than the quality of the latest installment.

Once again i agree.

Gears is just more consistent imo

Ridley327

TheOddOne said:
That is decent.
For five days of sales and being a far more low-key release than any of the other PS2 collections up to this point, I'd say those are downright stellar sales. Bodes well for The Last Guardian's reception if it's ever released.

Dr. Malik

FlatAss_
French said:
Resistance 1 sold a lot ( because it was a good launch game and because of the bundles ) and had a good word of mouth, it could have been a "big" franchise but R2 ruined everything, and Resistance Vita will probably do more harm than good too.

R2 sold 600k+ during its first two months in the US, R3 will probably never reach that.

Sony should reboot it on PS4 ( not necessarily at launch ).
Might as well do a new IP and who know if Insomniac will continue doing PS3/4 exclusives. I wouldn't imagine that they would want to use one of their internal studios for this franchise.

megamerican

I loved Resistance 3, but I think that the series has run its course. I think the game will get its due in time. Pretty much the inverse of what happened to Resistance 2. I'm glad that Insomniac has already secured a new franchise so they are not impacted by any fallout from this.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Wow, R3 didn't do well at all. I imagine it's due to them ruining the brand with R2 and taking out the thing most people agreed that they loved from the game (8 player co-op).

And Gears 3 is a much easier buy since both Gears 1 and 2 were good. The consistency of the series is a selling point, and I've been thoroughly enjoying Gears 3. Definitely wasn't ready to spend money on R3 after I wasted sixty on R2.

French

Banned
Marius_ said:
Might as well do a new IP and who know if Insomniac will continue doing PS3/4 exclusives. I wouldn't imagine that they would want to use one of their internal studios for this franchise.

Sony could give to an other studio.

Ushojax said:
Resistance 3 probably did so badly because of Resistance 2. You can't shit out a turd like that and expect people to go for a sequel when games like CoD, Gears and Battlefield are around.
Didn't people hate gears 2? Didn't stop gears 3 from selling,it's because resistance is generic and copies cod too much.

Kusagari

People were annoyed with Gears 2 online, but it wasn't downright reviled like R2. Also people have an attachment to Gears, the series still had people hoping 3 would bring it back to form.

Let's be honest, besides a few people, Resistance never had a real fanbase. Once R2 destroyed its reputation, the general populace wasn't inclined to give it another chance.

Ridley327

CadetMahoney said:
out of curiosity how much did resistence 1 and 2 do? Did 3 sell more or less than 2?
It sold less than half of what Resistance 2 did in its first month, and Resistance 2 had the handicap of launching a mere week before CoD:WaW came out.

TheOddOne

Kusagari said:
People were annoyed with Gears 2 online, but it wasn't downright reviled like R2. Also people have an attachment to Gears, the series still had people hoping 3 would bring it back to form.

Let's be honest, besides a few people, Resistance never had a real fanbase. Once R2 destroyed its reputation, the general populace wasn't inclined to give it another chance.
A bit off topic but kind of related: What happend to the Killzone 3 community? I remember the Killzone 2 community thread popping up daily, but for 3 there is barely anything active (or am I missing it?).

Dunlop

Kusagari said:

R2 was the first game I purchased for my PS3, was expecting a "halo like" experience based off of people beaming about R1 and instead was treated to a generic FPS paint by numbers game.

Aw well, I thought the massive ammount of people in MP would make up for it...and it was even worse.

R3 is definately not on my radar

(all the bad taste in my mouth was negated by the awesomesauce that was infamous)

Brakara

Meisadragon said:
Insomniac tinkered with MP component way too much. They really should have included the 8-player co-op from Resistance 2.

Why did they drop it for R3? I know I would be pretty pissed if Epic had dropped Horde in Gears 3 (instead they improved it massively with Horde 2.0).

EagleEyes

Shurs said:
Nailed it.

To ignore the quality and influence of Gears is silly.
The same thing will happen to Uncharted 3. It wont really get anymore marketing budget than R3 but being the great series that it is it will sell much better than R3 because of its quality. Gamers spending their 60 bucks know they will get a top tier videogame when they buy a Gears/Uncharted game.

Owzers

I complain too much about how much i hate Sony's first party franchises this generation outside of Uncharted, but Resistance 3 single player was a pretty good game. The multiplayer wasn't for me and the past two games sucked, i guess i'm a little indifferent about 3 not selling well.

Angry Fork

People blaming Resistance 3 "failure" on Resistance 2 are not correct imo and I feel I have to defend Resistance 2 because I really don't understand the hyperbole and vitriol thrown around when talking about it.

Only hardcore fans (or PS3 only shooter fans in general) know the design differences between Resistance 1,2 and 3. Hardcore fans read up on this stuff, they go on gaf, they go on forums, they read interviews pay attention to E3 etc. and so on. They know that Resistance 3 fixed a lot of the 'problems' of Resistance 2 (no weapon wheel, different atmosphere/story direction than the first game, 2 weapon limit, etc. and so on whatever was considered bad about R2). So how could the failure of Resistance 2 damage R3 sales if all the hardcore fans knew R3 wouldn't be like R2? They would already know that Insomniac paid close attention to fan requests and changed many things in favor of them.

I believe the reason for Resistance 3 "failure" (or just not selling gangbusters) is one or more of the following:

a. FPS/shooter fatigue, people are tired of it. Resistance came around at the worst time possible imo when there was a huge influx of shooters and the series got lost in the crowd. Now the people that AREN'T tired of shooters, are fans of point B.

b. COD and/or Battlefield. Casual shooter fans are interested in these franchises (I'm not saying Battlefield is casual before I get shitted on, but it's just a shooter more casual fans know about is all) These are the staple franchises, nothing else is going to make a dent into them without huge advertising and more importantly doing something different/unique which gets into point c.

C. Resistance in my opinion doesn't do enough to set it apart from other shooters. It's no Bioshock series. Bioshock is my favorite game/series this gen because it pays so much attention to story, atmosphere, characters etc. and the gameplay is a wonderfully fun cherry on top to all of that. It's so different and great that it has it's very own demographic and doesn't have to appeal to COD players. I feel like Resistance should've been this kind of series (although there was no way of knowing that military shooters would be so dominant so it's not necessarily Insomniac's fault).

D. I bought Resistance 1 and 2 day one. I enjoyed R2 much more than R1. I played Half Life 2 when it came out, Doom 3, Halo etc. so Resistance 1 to me felt like everything I had already seen and the most generic, dull kind of game out there. I didn't like R1 at all but was forcing myself to play it because PS3 had nothing else at the time. I jumped for joy when Rainbow Six Vegas was finally released. Now some good things were left out of Resistance 2 that I felt shouldn't have (weapon wheel, vehicles, health packs) but R2 I felt was really good and does not deserve the hatred it gets. The gameplay changed to a more COD-esque kind of thing whichw as definitely lame but not a deal breaker. Aesthetically R2 was so much more pleasing to me than R1's dull gray everywhere. And gray is okay but only if the art style is beautiful enough to supplement it and R1's just wasn't in my opinion. R2's use of colors and the time period etc. I thought was great and really enjoyed. R2 wasn't the end-all to shooters but I liked it much more than the first (even with the COD gameplay which I wasn't fond of but it's something everyone was used to).

Now I was interested in getting Resistance 3 after it was first announced I was really hyped about it. The initial teaser was amazing and I felt like this was going to be a real uprising, revolutionary etc. kind of storyline where you'd team with rebels and take down the aliens and so on. It would be a serious, goosebump-inducing kind of thing but these days I can't justify spending 60$ just for single player unless the single player is it's main thing (like Bioshock, Assassins Creed etc.) with lots of effort and time put only into the single player.

So the decision to get R3 rested on whether or not the multi player would be interesting/unique enough to play. 16 player COD-esque stuff was announced and it immediately killed my interest. I like COD but I have no interest in playing copycats especially ones that aren't 50-60fps. If the game had 40 player multi player, something along the lines of Unreal Tournament etc. stuff like that I would've gotten the game. I still really want to play R3's single player but not until it reaches 30$. 30 for single player 30 for multiplayer that's my separation and I wish Sony would allow some kind of thing where they sell the single player on PSN for 30 bucks because I (as well as many others who don't care as much about multi player) would bite on that deal for sure.

ninja edit - and sorry for the long post I guess I was just bored of reading constant 1 liner responses of people saying R3 deserved to tank or R2 was the worst game ever etc.

TheOddOne said:
A bit off topic but kind of related: What happend to the Killzone 3 community? I remember the Killzone 2 community thread popping up daily, but for 3 there is barely anything active (or am I missing it?).

IIRC People who liked KZ2 MP were mostly bitching how KZ3 MP changed a lot of stuff and missing features also.

It should be in the community section of the forum.

I'm very depressed for R3 sales.... it's the best in the series and one of the best FPS I've played this generation, it really felt like a true amazing journey :-(

Cruzader

Banned
Syphon Filter said:
Didn't people hate gears 2? Didn't stop gears 3 from selling,it's because resistance is generic and copies cod too much.
dude, its getting old now. and no it isnt the reason it tanked.

Kusagari

Angry Fork said:
Only hardcore fans (or PS3 only shooter fans in general) know the design differences between Resistance 1,2 and 3. Hardcore fans read up on this stuff, they go on gaf, they go on forums, they read interviews pay attention to E3 etc. and so on. They know that Resistance 3 fixed a lot of the 'problems' of Resistance 2 (no weapon wheel, different atmosphere/story direction than the first game, 2 weapon limit, etc. and so on whatever was considered bad about R2). So how could the failure of Resistance 2 damage R3 sales if all the hardcore fans knew R3 wouldn't be like R2? They would already know that Insomniac paid close attention to fan requests and changed many things in favor of them.

Nobodies saying the hardcore fans didn't pick it up. If anything, they're the only ones who did. R2 is the best selling Resistance game and most of the general public hated it. You're right that they didn't know about any of that stuff, and that's why they didn't care. After R2 they just wiped Resistance from their memory and were done with it. Resistance didn't have the kind of fanbase to survive such apathy from the rest of the gaming world.

Top Bottom