• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Madden, Fixed 3DS Minimum]

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Nintendo press release says 3DS software up 89% in Sept, with no mention that combined 3DS/DS software was down 18%. That's NOT a good trend
Am I missing how this is catastrophically bad? Combined software sales are down because...the DS is being phased out, releases are low, and the market is shifting to the 3DS?

Why is Pachter saying that the slowing of DS software is such bad news?

I mean... surely the generational transition isn't anything to fear?

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
EA must be really pleased.
Great for Borderlands 2.

I'd have liked a lot 3DS hardware, Nintendo. At least, what NSMB2 did in its second month ( and the 89% thing ) could be indcations of a good month. Pretty happy to read that KI: Uprising saw an increase this month! :D

I think he's arguing that sales of 3DS software are not rising quickly enough to offset the (potentially already disappointing) sales of DS software. I suppose that's not usual or at least not a good sign, as everything's pointing towards the decline of handhelds (in the West at least).

Not usual?

Some people have got really short memories of the GBA to DS handover.

MisterHero

Sold almost as much as Super Mario 64? Aren't the sales of that sexy game like 11 million?
Yes, which is actually really amazing for a remake of any game. I hope that OoT and SF64 have the same success but it's just not likely.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
Whoa BF3 in the top 10. Any special reason for this?

They released the Ultimate edition or whatever they called it.

It's due to Battlefield 3 Premium Edition

Get the Game + Premium (DLC Season Pass) for $60, so you save roughly $50 or $100 value in their eyes

MA9EL.jpg

Some who had vanilla sold to 100% trade-in offers (didn't buy Premium), picked this up
Saved money

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
Interesting that FIFA Vita sold better than the Wii (and 3DS) versions, but that Madden sold worse than the Wii version.

I thought that was fascinating too. Makes me wonder how many people who picked up Madden on the Vita ended up getting the bundle and just how few units FIFA is selling on Wii. I honestly had no idea there was a 3DS version for FIFA this year.

Michael Pachter ‏@michaelpachter

Nintendo press release says 3DS software up 89% in Sept, with no mention that combined 3DS/DS software was down 18%. That's NOT a good trend
Lol, Pachter. The DS is at the end of its lifespan and tapering off and the 3DS seems to be building momentum. You can't have a last gen portable cannibalizing the sales of the current one forever.

Don't really care about borderlands personally but it's nice to see it do well. I definitely saw a lot of commercials for it, so that plus return buyers probably did it for them.

kswiston

Shocked Guild Wars 2 is so high while NPD doesn't count DD. Good for them!

Wonder if them limiting the availability of DD keys led some people to go out and purchase physical copies instead. There were a few times last month where you couldn't buy Guild Wars from most of the digital distributers

Ashodin

Delicious. with Digital and Retail, Guild Wars 2 looks to track over 3.5 million in two months. fucking amazing for a new MMO launch.

Saty

dat gulf between #2\3 and the rest of the top 10. Sleeping Dogs and Darksiders with zero legs it seems.

Alex

I'd have to imagine Borderlands 2 also mopped up on PC digital considering it was on the top of the Steam charts for ages, the GMG deals, etc.

Good for it, I always liked the concept of the original but it never did much for me in reality, but this sequel was one gargantuan improvement. Probably my GOTY, unless something creeps up on me.

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
LOL at Pachter trolling Nintendo again. He never fails.

The top 10 is no surprise and I'm ecstatic that Lego Batman 2 is doing so well.

Ashodin

I'd have to imagine Borderlands 2 also mopped up on PC digital considering it was on the top of the Steam charts for ages, the GMG deals, etc.

Good for it, I always liked the concept of the original but it never did much for me in reality, but this sequel was one gargantuan improvement. Probably my GOTY, unless something creeps up on me.

Play dat Dishonored man.

Industry still declined 24 percent? What came out last September to do monster numbers?

Nothing jumps to mind but I suspect its more the small numbers are significantly down.
Similar to what we've seen in the UK market, outside of the big releases the market is pretty dead.

Top Bottom