• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Madden, Fixed 3DS Minimum]

Current cheapest is $249 for a 160Gb PS3.

Aren't they phasing this out in favor of the Slim 2.0 with Uncharted 3?

I don't see this cut actually increasing overall 360 sales much though, I'd expect just more people getting the more expensive packs now they're cheaper

Price cuts always boost sales, even if only temporarily, and BF sales/bundles are going to be lumped on top of the price drop.

I think it's only a matter of time before the arcade drops to $149 officially, MS probably wants that to be the low point this Christmas though.

Kidding right? Course it'll increase sales.

@ donny, even Halo edition is cut, it's just 4GB, my betting is they want a big $149 presence on BF.

The cheapest (and I assume biggest selling) hasn't been cut in price, sales overall won't increase much but many people who otherwise would've bought the 4gb may go for a hard drive or kinect one instead

The cheapest (and I assume biggest selling) hasn't been cut in price, sales overall won't increase much but many people who otherwise would've bought the 4gb may go for a hard drive or kinect one instead

Big assumption, doubt it's true. ASP would be below $249 if that was the case.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly

What makes you think the 199 is the best selling?

Last time I saw ASP (haven't followed the analysis features for a while) on the 360 for NPD it was nearer $300 than 200.

TheNatural

My Member!
I just want the cheapest console available with GTA V on it when it comes out. Maybe a console will actually hit the budget $150 price range by then, but then again, I've been saying this the past two fucking years. I hope this is the worst holiday season in videogame history for hardware sales.

donny2112

ASP would be below $249 if that was the case.

You neglect the existence of the $399 250 GB + Kinect bundle (or $349 now).

Edit:
It should be fair to say that the 4 GB + 4 GB w/ Kinect probably outsell the 250 GB + 250 GB w/ Kinect, but that's more due to the assumption that most mainstream people want the lower entry point and probably won't recognize any big need for a HDD (whereas they may actually want Kinect).

Big assumption, doubt it's true. ASP would be below $249 if that was the case.

Actually asp would only be below 249 if the 4gb accounted for a significant majority of sales not mearly being the biggest selling out of several, as it goes yeah it is a big assumption and ASPs do have a habit of going in one eye and out the other with me

Miles X

Sounds like wishful thinking. You're just assuming the 4GB is the most popular.

TheNatural

My Member!
Serious question, not having a 360 for a few years. Is the 4GB that bad if you only intend on playing single player games with no live stuff or XBLA stuff?

I had the 10GB years ago just for GTA IV, is the only use for the storage outside of that to rip the game on the hard drive for faster load times?

Miles X

Serious question, not having a 360 for a few years. Is the 4GB that bad if you only intend on playing single player games with no live stuff or XBLA stuff?

I had the 10GB years ago just for GTA IV, is the only use for the storage outside of that to rip the game on the hard drive for faster load times?

if it's just for GTAV you should be fine. And a few places had $149 360's last year, if you're reallly lucky you may even see $129, outside shot though.

donny2112

Buy a 360 and don't buy XBLA stuff? I guess you could do that, but seems kind of like cutting yourself off from some good stuff. If you don't buy XBLA stuff and don't mind longer loading times, then, yeah, you could go with the Arcade. If you did want to upgrade later, a used HDD would be a good choice. Not sure what to make of the $50 360 250GB HDDs on Amazon, though. Seems like something would be wrong with them at that price?

TheNatural

My Member!
if it's just for GTAV you should be fine. And a few places had $149 360's last year, if you're reallly lucky you may even see $129, outside shot though.

I'm all about some budget gaming, especially with some of the collections now releasing, that will no doubt be about $30 or $40 next year, like the Rockstar compilation and the Saints Row 3 stuff.

I got a used Wii off Cowboom for $53 shipped and it's working great. I'm more wary of a used 360 with the older model problems though.

If I know better, the many enemies on screen for Kameo couldn't be done on original xbox. It was touted as an xbox360 only feature or what have you. Great game, that looked and played just as good.
Those were just cinemtic transition scenes, which could've been non playable FMV for Xbox. Nearly all the game used the Xbox 1 assets as is seemingly, same models and environments, with better lighting and some effects.

jvm

Gamasutra.
jvm, have you been able to narrow down the range for hardware sales yet?
Based on a variety of angles, my estimates for hardware:
Xbox 360: 270K
3DS: 240K
PS3: 200K
NDS: 130K
Wii: 80K
PSV: 55K
PSP: 5K

As usual, my estimates posted here are rounded to the nearest multiple of 5K. I do not have access to NPD's official figures.

As usual, my estimates posted here are rounded to the nearest multiple of 5K. I do not have access to NPD's official figures.

Nintendo has to get rid of the DS. I wonder how close they will get this month with Pokemon. Pokemon really should have been a 3DS game. I've seen multiple friends who are just buying the game on their DS and have no intention on getting a 3DS anytime soon.

JVM used to have breakdowns of the 360 SKUs in some of his older articles iirc prior to Kinect?

How did the Arcade / Elite divide tend to fall back then? Not sure how well it would translate to current breakdown though I guess.

jvm

Gamasutra.
Nintendo has to get rid of the DS. I wonder how close they will get this month with Pokemon. Pokemon really should have been a 3DS game. I've seen multiple friends who are just buying the game on their DS and have no intention on getting a 3DS anytime soon.
I can see it being a tough call from their end. They want profits as high as possible, and that thing has to be pure gravy by this point. On the other hand, they really need to continue to goose the 3DS accelerator.

brumx

The only way they get rid of DS line is if they know for sure sales on 3DS will go way up but they dont there much worse off. DS will hang for as long they can milk it like PS2 I think. DS could outlive even 3DS

A Human Becoming

More than a Member

So you think the PS3 drop was >45% than the ~40% Petrae said?

How was many weeks was August btw?

The only way they get rid of DS line is if they know for sure sales on 3DS will go way up but they dont there much worse off. DS will hang for as long they can milk it like PS2 I think. DS could outlive even 3DS

I highly doubt this. PS2 had a good amount of releases post PS3 release. After Pokemon B/W2 the DS software schedule is barren. The 3DS also has full BC.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Buy a 360 and don't buy XBLA stuff? I guess you could do that, but seems kind of like cutting yourself off from some good stuff. If you don't buy XBLA stuff and don't mind longer loading times, then, yeah, you could go with the Arcade. If you did want to upgrade later, a used HDD would be a good choice. Not sure what to make of the $50 360 250GB HDDs on Amazon, though. Seems like something would be wrong with them at that price?

Those hard drives are "clones". 3rd party hard drives flashed with the appropriate firmware. No risk of failure or ban, just not official MS.

I have used a third-party hard drive for about 5 years so no problem on my end.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
Yes, but close to 45%. Four.
Okay. Those sound pretty reasonable to me since these were the ranges I came up with:

DS 125k to 150k
3DS 222,500 to 250k
PS3 200k to 250k
Vita 50k to 81,250
Wii 50k to 81,250

Your numbers are probably the best we'll do so here are some YTD and LTD estimates of mine:

YTD:

DS 1,002,688
360 2,386,000
PS3 1,859,700
Wii 1,028,300
3DS 1,600,981
Vita 779,400

LTD:

DS 52,147,689
360 35,050,373
PS3 21,836,621
Wii 39,712,794
3DS 5,666,981
Vita 779,400

The Vita has now sold <100k for 6 straight months, the longest streak for any Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo hardware since 2001. Who here thinks it will break it in October?

Okay. Those sound pretty reasonable to me since these were the ranges I came up with:

DS 125k to 150k
3DS 222,500 to 250k
PS3 200k to 250k
Vita 50k to 81,250
Wii 50k to 81,250

Your numbers are probably the best we'll do so here are some YTD and LTD estimates of mine:

YTD:

DS 1,002,688
360 2,386,000
PS3 1,859,700
Wii 1,028,300
3DS 1,600,981
Vita 779,400

LTD:

DS 52,147,689
360 35,050,373
PS3 21,836,621
Wii 39,712,794
3DS 5,666,981
Vita 779,400

The Vita has now sold <100k for 6 straight months, the longest streak for any Sony, Microsoft or Nintendo hardware since 2001. Who here thinks it will break it in October?

We already know vita is under 61k so your range is overly generous

No way will it break 100k in October, in fact being a 4 week month it'll be lucky to break 50 again

Massa

The fact is Sony no longer is selling a PS3 to retailers that has an MSRP of $249.

That's not correct. Not only are they still selling the $249 160GB PS3, it's the headliner of their PS3 systems page.

Now please, once the cheapest PS3 you can buy in North America costs more than $249.99 we can resume this discussion.

Wow. The Wii used to sell twice the xbox 360 and PS3 combined. But now it sells 1/2 to 1/4 of what each of those sells. The light that burns twice as bright burns half as long.

Well, the Wii was not HD and started pretty cheap. HDTVs caught on and the Wii didn't have much room to drop the price.

That's not correct. Not only are they still selling the $249 160GB PS3, it's the headliner of their PS3 systems page.

Now please, once the cheapest PS3 you can buy in North America costs more than $249.99 we can resume this discussion.

What you are showing is the clearing stock of an outdated model. You honestlyt feel Sony is still making this outdated model in their factories and selling it to retailers?

Top Bottom