• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2012 Sales Results [Up2: Madden, Fixed 3DS Minimum]

The business with Overstrike's art style is just a more spectacular example of what's kind of wrong with them.

Cause they jumped from cliche A to cliche B?
The entire industry is having a failure of nerves and Insomniac is part of the problem, and not because they changed up a few inconsequential things in the middle of production.

epmode

Infamous is SuckerPunch, not Insomniac :) There really isnt much of a difference between Cole in Infamous 1 and 2 by the way. I recently beat Infamous 2 and i didnt notice anything particularly difference compared to Cole in Infamous 1.
Cole 2.0 was supposed to look very different. There was a Game Informer cover with the new design.

Eusis

Infamous is SuckerPunch, not Insomniac :) There really isnt much of a difference between Cole in Infamous 1 and 2 by the way. I recently beat Infamous 2 and i didnt notice anything particularly difference compared to Cole in Infamous 1.
That's because you saw the end result of that backlash. Here's Gameinformer's hub page for when they had the inFamous 2 blow out.

And while he was wrong about it being from the same company, there is a point that some of these companies are a bit too prone to just jump onto whatever's trendy. It's also likely part of why we got stuff like the changes both in gameplay and in style between each Mass Effect game, especially with characters like Vega jumping in.

So Borderlands 2 sold 1.5mil in about 11 days? That's really cool. I don't have it yet but I'm glad to see the IP being successful.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So Borderlands 2 sold 1.5mil in about 11 days? That's really cool. I don't have it yet but I'm glad to see the IP being successful.

I feel it's a really nice success story since Borderlands was seen as pretty risky, and Gearbox later revealed that had the game bombed they would have basically shut down.

Portable sports gaming has a problem from the word go... the fact that most people want to play these games with friends, on the couch. You can't do that with portables. It's not the same experience at all. The portable game will always be an inferior version of the game people really want to play.

Looking above, it looks like FIFA IOS is doing really, really well though. Maybe a lower price point and a digital release could save these games on traditional handhelds?

Massa

Looking above, it looks like FIFA IOS is doing really, really well though. Maybe a lower price point and a digital release could save these games on traditional handhelds?

The launch version FIFA also did really well on the Vita, it was the second best selling launch game in the UK after Uncharted. FIFA 13 is selling poorly because it was received extremely poorly, with a 3.3 user score on Metacritic and 4.0 score at IGN. That's what EA gets for selling the same game 6 months later.

Edit: to further illustrate my point, some numbers from the Playstation Store: there are 3539 reviews for FIFA Soccer (launch game) and only 139 reviews for FIFA 13. There was potential for much better sales there but EA completely botched it.

DarrenS

I know I'm not that poster, but ... yes. And the percentage growth is also right.
+1 to not understanding this.

Fact 1: Borderlands sold 546k in October 2009
Fact 2: Borderlands 2 is 234% up on October 2009 sales (=1.8m)
Fact 3: Borderlands 2 sold 1.4m

That is illogical captain.

jvm

Gamasutra.
+1 to not understanding this.

Fact 1: Borderlands sold 546k in October 2009
Fact 2: Borderlands 2 is 234% up on October 2009 sales (=1.8m)
Fact 3: Borderlands 2 sold 1.4m

That is illogical captain.
Fact 1 isn't a fact.

theDeeDubs

360- ~1119k
PS3- ~361k

WoW. Massive diference.

Why PS3 players ignore this franchise?

Better taste ;p

Seems all my friends that play CoD only really flocked to Borderlands, and I see them playing it instead of MW3. So it doesn't surprise me to see it sell a lot better on the 360.

mujun

Better taste ;p

Seems all my friends that play CoD only really flocked to Borderlands, and I see them playing it instead of MW3. So it doesn't surprise me to see it sell a lot better on the 360.

Be careful what you say with an Alpha Protocol avatar :p

doicare

Based on a variety of angles, my estimates for hardware:
Xbox 360: 270K
3DS: 240K
PS3: 200K
NDS: 130K
Wii: 80K
PSV: 55K
PSP: 5K

As usual, my estimates posted here are rounded to the nearest multiple of 5K. I do not have access to NPD's official figures.
Not bad estimates, although it's more like PS3: 210k, WII: 70K to the nearest 5k.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Bounce a basketball to a beat. Kind of like Guitar Hero's interface with a basketball as the input. Requires a ton of space.

I saw Target put it on clearance within a week.

Wow, I never heard of this but it sounds so horrible it's amazing!

360- ~1119k
PS3- ~361k

WoW. Massive diference.

I want to know the difference between RE6 in next npd. There was someone suggesting PS3 had many more based on online numbers. . . would be interesting to see the split (if it's the opposite from what is suggested). Considering ORC and RE5.

Pillville

360- ~1119k
PS3- ~361k

WoW. Massive diference.

I think most gamers (including myself), have both systems.

Things that made me choose the 360 version:
1) Multiplats usually run better on 360
2) prefer Xbox Live for Multiplayer
3) 360 has better shooter controller
4) DLC sometimes comes out first on 360 (or never to PS3, SKYRYM I'm looking at you)
5) My friends with one system are ALL 360 owners (so I need 360 to play with them)

Gone up from the 7.7 I remember, interesting. Still puts 360 non bundled SW 11m ahead of Wii.
Worth noting that NPD doesn't count Link's Crossbow Training as "software", so the real unbundled figure is probably closer to 9m. And for overall software Wii is obviously ahead, though I expect 360 will retake the crown in 2013.

Saty

LLTP question: can anyone hint about RAGE's LTD? I don't remember getting any shipments numbers. Only the 555k it did in its debut month.

Miles X

Worth noting that NPD doesn't count Link's Crossbow Training as "software", so the real unbundled figure is probably closer to 9m. And for overall software Wii is obviously ahead, though I expect 360 will retake the crown in 2013.

Is it? Whilst Wii has had a lot of bundled SW, 360 has as well over the years, not to mention 10m+ Kinect Adventures. Couple that with the 10m~ lead it has anyway and I imagin it's actually very close overall.

And judging by the line ups this holiday, it won't take until 2013 either, 360 will close the gap 10m alone with Halo and COD in Nov.

Synless

That's because you saw the end result of that backlash. Here's Gameinformer's hub page for when they had the inFamous 2 blow out.

And while he was wrong about it being from the same company, there is a point that some of these companies are a bit too prone to just jump onto whatever's trendy. It's also likely part of why we got stuff like the changes both in gameplay and in style between each Mass Effect game, especially with characters like Vega jumping in.

I don't think that particular issue applies. That Cole redesign was bullshit and looked nothing like the old Cole. Fans of the first title had a right to bitch. If they would have kept his face the same and added hair, no problem, but they didn't, instead they changed his face as well.

Edit* whoops that comment is a few days old and really off topic, my bad.

Is it? Whilst Wii has had a lot of bundled SW, 360 has as well over the years, not to mention 10m+ Kinect Adventures. Couple that with the 10m~ lead it has anyway and I imagin it's actually very close overall.

And judging by the line ups this holiday, it won't take until 2013 either, 360 will close the gap 10m alone with Halo and COD in Nov.
Nearly every Wii had a game included, a sizable amount had two included even. The Wii bundled software figure is likely close to 3-4x 360. We're talking several tens of millions in Wii's favor.

I did forget KA though, so the unbundled figure is probably well over 11m difference in Microsoft's favor, though not all those 10m+ KA sales came from standalone Kinect, some were console bundles.

Miles X

Nearly every Wii had a game included, a sizable amount had two included even. The Wii bundled software figure is likely close to 3-4x 360. We're talking several tens of millions in Wii's favor.

I did forget KA though, so the unbundled figure is probably well over 11m difference in Microsoft's favor, though not all those 10m+ KA sales came from standalone Kinect, some were console bundles.

3- 4 x? lol no. Wii has sold 40m, if it got 1 2 games bundled that's about 1.5 games bundled per wii, 60m.

360 has KA but also Kinect has often has as many as 3 games bundled (but mostly just KA) that's likely a 1.5 game per Kinect as well, so 15m~

Not to mention the christmas bundles where 360 gets 2 games bundled and it sells its best. Skyrim and Forza this holiday for instance.

And console bundled or not makes no difference to Kinect Adventures being counted.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
360- ~1119k
PS3- ~361k

WoW. Massive diference.

Well, I bought the game digitally day one, so those sales aren't included obviously.

But I can't imagine that adding more than 50k, or even 20k in sales. But who knows. :p

3- 4 x? lol no. Wii has sold 40m, if it got 1 2 games bundled that's about 1.5 games bundled per wii, 60m.

360 has KA but also Kinect has often has as many as 3 games bundled (but mostly just KA) that's likely a 1.5 game per Kinect as well, so 15m~

Not to mention the christmas bundles where 360 gets 2 games bundled and it sells its best. Skyrim and Forza this holiday for instance.

And console bundled or not makes no difference to Kinect Adventures being counted.
Seasonal and SE bundles are limited, usually just around a million units max afaik. I think estimating 1.5x on both Kinect and Wii is a bit too generous too, 1.25x is probably closer to the truth. Either way though the Wii bundled figure is orders of magnitude larger than 360. Wii Sports bundled alone is going to outpace 360's overall bundled figure.

For KA, I was just comparing (console) bundled versus not. Kinect Adventures and Link's Crossbow Training are both examples of games not counted as "software" by NPD due to their retail configurations, but some KA Sales are still bundled into consoles SKUs too.

Top Bottom