• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.
  • Hi Guest. We've rebooted and consolidated our Communities section, so be sure to check it out and subscribe to some threads. Thanks!

NRA chief Wayne LaPierre received a 57 percent pay raise in 2018, tax filings show

n64coder

Sep 28, 2010
For those of you who are in the NRA, what do you think of Wayne's compensation and recent increase? What about excessive expenditures as well as the request for NRA to rent a mansion for him. Should Wayne stay in his role or should he be replaced with someone else?

I know my father-in-law is disgusted with this and did not renew his membership. I think they could find a better person who will use NRA's resources in a better manner than to the president's benefit.

National Rifle Association chief executive Wayne LaPierre, who pushed past scattered calls for his resignation earlier this year amid allegations of misspending, received a 57 percent pay raise in 2018 that boosted his overall compensation to $2.15 million, according to the nonprofit group’s latest tax filings.
LaPierre received a base salary of $1.3 million, plus a bonus of $455,000 and “other reportable compensation” of more than $427,000, the filings show. LaPierre also received an additional $73,793 in “retirement and other deferred compensation” and “nontaxable benefits” from the NRA and related entities, according to the filings, which the NRA provided to The Washington Post on Friday.
LaPierre’s pay increase comes at a time when the gun group has been under pressure to explain large payments to top executives, even as it has cut spending on firearms training and political activities and frozen pension benefits for employees.

Revelations that LaPierre spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on luxury menswear and travel, and that the NRA considered buying him a multimillion-dollar estate, has led to months of internal warfare. NRA officials have staunchly defended their stewardship of NRA funds as the Democratic attorneys general of Washington and New York investigate the tax-exempt group’s spending.

Cravis

Gold Member
Aug 18, 2006
NRA is on the way out. Good riddance. Oh and this is coming from someone who is pro guns, pro second amendment.

Do stupid shit, win stupid prizes. Fuck off NRA.

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008
I'm pro 2nd Amendment. I don't belong to the NRA. I also find it funny when mass shootings are blamed on the NRA, yet no mass shooters are members of the NRA. I suspect this thread will not have many replies defending the NRA, as there are not many NRA members here.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
I'm pro 2nd Amendment. I don't belong to the NRA. I also find it funny when mass shootings are blamed on the NRA, yet no mass shooters are members of the NRA. I suspect this thread will not have many replies as there are not many NRA members here.
The authoritarians want to get rid of a lobby group that stands in the way of their lobbying to abolish the 2A.

That is all it comes down to. I too never have and never will be a member, but I will always be a proponent of our Bill of Rights.

Last edited:

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
The authoritarians want to get rid of a lobby group that stands in the way of their lobbying to abolish the 2A.

That is all it comes down to. I too never have and never will be a member, but I will always be a proponent of our Bill of Rights.
They will also argue that any problems the NRA is having are symptomatic of people not wanting the 2nd.

Heck, San Francisco has declared the NRA a "domestic terrorist organization".

I would put money that gun control activists have infiltrated the NRA just like the ACLU has been corrupted from the inside.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
They will also argue that any problems the NRA is having are symptomatic of people not wanting the 2nd.

Heck, San Francisco has declared the NRA a "domestic terrorist organization".

I would put money that gun control activists have infiltrated the NRA just like the ACLU has been corrupted from the inside.
Oh that’s a given. I have seen since 2012 on, many great organizations infiltrated by the intersectional virus.

Audubon Society comes to mind, hiring these fucks to be the main mouthpiece, and putting out human identity politics statements when you damned job is to focus on the protection of wildlife birds and their habitats.

Just one example that caused me to pull my funding locally 2 years ago, which then impacts the animals themselves. They suffer once again for more selfish human supremacy rhetoric.

Been very careful now constantly combing where my donations go to, since this virus is spreading the more they infiltrate, and it eats up resources for the actual victims these organizations were meant to protect.

IdPol is supremacy through and though. They leave a trail of victims in their ideological crusade.

Apologies for the side rant, but they are cut from the same cloth with the same infiltration MO.

Last edited:

Aurelian

my friends call me "Cunty"
Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
I'm pro 2nd Amendment. I don't belong to the NRA. I also find it funny when mass shootings are blamed on the NRA, yet no mass shooters are members of the NRA. I suspect this thread will not have many replies defending the NRA, as there are not many NRA members here.
The issue isn't that shooters are part of the NRA, it's that the NRA bribes Republicans to both oppose any further gun control and encourage the proliferation of guns. Remember, the NRA is an industry-backed organization. Tens of millions of dollars typically flow its way both directly from gun makers as well as from companies that benefit from gun sales (like outdoor equipment makers). Its goal isn't to enshrine the rights of owners and encourage responsible use, it's to keep the money flowing. Hence why it uses scare tactics and tries to get kids to the target ranges. You end up with a country where it's easy for the wrong person to get a semi-auto rifle and kill, say, 49 people in a Florida nightclub.

Even as a Canadian, I'm not completely averse to the concept of a right to own a gun. But the NRA twists and exploits it to perpetuate a culture that fetishizes gun ownership (see: the gun "fashion show") instead of treating guns as grave responsibilities. The sad thing is that the NRA didn't used to be this way; it devolved into this.

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
The issue isn't that shooters are part of the NRA, it's that the NRA bribes Republicans to both oppose any further gun control and encourage the proliferation of guns.
Nonsense. Republicans would already be in line with gun control being inherently unconstitutional.

Reactions: Jonirenicus

Aurelian

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Nonsense. Republicans would already be in line with gun control being inherently unconstitutional.
So it's purely a coincidence that the NRA donates large sums directly to Republicans, right? I mean, if Republicans already lean that way, surely the NRA can reserve its money for election advocacy.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: Miku Miku

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dec 3, 2013
So it's purely a coincidence that the NRA donates large sums directly to Republicans, right? I mean, if Republicans already lean that way, surely the NRA can reserve its money for election advocacy.
Of course. It’s to get the people who share your values, elected. You donate during the campaign cycle.

What is even your post? It makes no sense.

They used to also donate to Dems as well at one time, before the party went full on fuck the Bill of Rights.

Aurelian

Feb 22, 2009
Ottawa, Canada
Of course. It’s to get the people who share your values, elected. You donate during the campaign cycle.

What is even your post? It makes no sense.

They used to also donate to Dems as well at one time, before the party went full on fuck the Bill of Rights.
It donates to candidates who are virtually guaranteed to win office. There's no reason to do that if you have zero doubt that they'll vote in your favour. Either the NRA isn't fully convinced they'll vote that way or this is a not-so-subtle warning that it'll try to destroy candidates if they dare use their brains and explore gun control.

Jonirenicus

Banned
Jun 23, 2019
The issue isn't that shooters are part of the NRA, it's that the NRA bribes Republicans to both oppose any further gun control and encourage the proliferation of guns. Remember, the NRA is an industry-backed organization. Tens of millions of dollars typically flow its way both directly from gun makers as well as from companies that benefit from gun sales (like outdoor equipment makers). Its goal isn't to enshrine the rights of owners and encourage responsible use, it's to keep the money flowing. Hence why it uses scare tactics and tries to get kids to the target ranges. You end up with a country where it's easy for the wrong person to get a semi-auto rifle and kill, say, 49 people in a Florida nightclub.

Even as a Canadian, I'm not completely averse to the concept of a right to own a gun. But the NRA twists and exploits it to perpetuate a culture that fetishizes gun ownership (see: the gun "fashion show") instead of treating guns as grave responsibilities. The sad thing is that the NRA didn't used to be this way; it devolved into this.
The NRA is quick to turn its back on gun owners outside its particular tastes, and has a long history of negotiating for gun control.

I WISH the NRA was the powerful group of absolutists people accuse them of being. They aren't even big players when it comes to lobbying.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeepEnigma

autoduelist

Aug 30, 2014
You understand how lobbying works, right? You don't have to like it, but lobbying is lobbying. People join and donate to the NRA so that the NRA acts in their interests in a defined way that me simply sending $50 in an envelope with a note that says 'respect the 2nd' doesn't.

The oath of office for the Senate is:

I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic; that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the same; that I take this obligation freely, without any mental reservation or purpose of evasion; and that I will well and faithfully discharge the duties of the office on which I am about to enter: So help me God.
You have it completely backwards saying the NRA is 'bribing' politicians to not support gun control. They already swore an oath that, in theory, should have them be against gun control. "Thou shall not infringe". That should be the baseline. Supporting staunch defenders of the Constitution in running for office is not 'bribing' them, unless we've decided to just chuck out the dictionary.

Besides, who do you think is funding gun control activists running for office? Are they being bribed? Or do you consider organizations funding their campaigns simply honoring the candidates' 'virtuous' position on enacting gun control?

Last edited:

desertdroog

Aug 12, 2008

The NRA promote and teaches the rules of firearm safety for all demographics:

1. always keep your firearm pointed in a safe direction.
2. treat all firearms as if they were loaded.
3. keep your trigger finger outside the guard and off of the trigger until you are ready to fire.
4. be certain of your target, your line of fire, and what lies beyond your target.

That is an explicit explanation of understanding the "grave responsibilities" regarding how to treat guns. I like the history of the NRA, yet I feel they have lost their way by pushing concessions of the 2nd Amendment while benefiting corporations.

However, they do not promote criminal behavior with firearms, nor do they perpetuate it with whatever twisted logic you can come up with regarding the proliferation of firearms and the access criminals have to them. It's nice to think you can point fingers at a group that lobbies for the 2nd Amendment and lay blame, however you are going to have to point the finger at the 2nd Amendment itself if you contort yourself into blaming anything outside of the criminals for causing harm.

As pointed out by autoduelist, anyone serving office looking to infringe on our Bill of Rights, are not living up to the oath of office they took when they serve in one of our three branches of government.

FMXVII

Banned
Aug 27, 2019
Why the fuck would I support the NRA?

In the event of national emergency, we the people shall need machine guns, rocket launchers, high tech armed drones, and effective writers to amend the holes in the Constitution, not merely rifles.

Durask

Feb 6, 2012
Every organization gets corrupt eventually.

That being said, point your finger at any large left-wing org and tell me it is not corrupt to the core.

Jonirenicus

Banned
Jun 23, 2019
Why the fuck would I support the NRA?

In the event of national emergency, we the people shall need machine guns, rocket launchers, high tech armed drones, and effective writers to amend the holes in the Constitution, not merely rifles.
The NRA doesn't stand with you on that.

• Thoughtful
Reactions: FMXVII