• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NS Pro Controller tidbit: 40h on a single charge, autoparing when connected with USB

Arklite

The sticks are top and offer good resistance and as I mentioned the buttons offer a satisfying click when depressed (on a side note too the 4 main buttons are larger than those on the Xbone and PS4. I wonder if this is to placate the fighter crowd).

Buttons sound like micro switches similar to a mouse? That's interesting if so, only other pad I've heard with something similar was one of the 3rd party PS4 professional gaming pads.

EDIT: I just realized you could use the Wii U's Gamepad larger battery to increase the battery life of the Switch Pro Controller even greater.

No, you absolutely cannot without modding the controller to accept it. The battery in the Wii U and Switch pro controllers are OG 3DS batteries, while the gamepad battery was custom made for it and has a different connector type.

Edit: It's also probably too large to fit.

The sticks on all Switch control options were great. I played this weekend and was a huge fan. For Zelda I actually found the pro controller to be a little harder to use when I was shield surfing just because I felt like the buttons were farther apart.

Maybe this was just me, but the actual grip was wayyy superior than the Wii U Pro and the Dual Shock 4. It's hard to explain, but the way the grip rested in my hands made the top part feel like it was almost resting on top of my hands completely effortlessly.

This was a tragedy, but I actually didn't get to play with the Joy-Con grip, so I can't compare.

LordOfChaos

I wonder if when using USB, it actually sends signals over USB? The older PS4 controllers still used wireless when charging via USB, only the new one added the ability to use USB for the actual signals, which can be handy if your neighbor likes to use his half broken microwave at 10PM

Nintendo's pro controllers have usually been pretty good. Loved the Wii U one and I hope this one is better. Having an extra USB C cable that would hopefully charge the switch is nice and the battery life, while lesser than the Wii U's is still considerably better than the competition.
Like that it seemingly has some big ass buttons. Not sure how those compare to previous controllers but they seem larger

About half the WiiU Pro controller and still 1.6~2 times the XB1 and 5~8 times the DS4 controller.

Speaking of the DS4 controller, has anyone noticed longer usage times with the DS4 included with the PS4 Pro? My old PS4's controller would need a charge about every 6 hours, but the DS4 included with my Pro is getting around 15 hours per charge. Did I hit a peripheral jackpot of sorts?

Luigiv

So speaking of missing the 3.5 headphone jack, do we know if the Switch will support bluetooth headphones? I have a pair and was wondering if I could use it as a good substitute for the 3.5 jack.

It does, apparently, but how that will actually work and whether or not any games will support them is still a mystery.

Like that it seemingly has some big ass buttons. Not sure how those compare to previous controllers but they seem larger

They're quite big, bigger than the Wii U pro controller's. It's nice, too, considering how small the joycon buttons are, anybody with a problem with those will feel right at home.

I wonder if when using USB, it actually sends signals over USB? The older PS4 controllers still used wireless when charging via USB, only the new one added the ability to use USB for the actual signals, which can be handy if your neighbor likes to use his half broken microwave at 10PM

I've been wondering the same, and also had no idea about the newer DS4 functionality!

Arklite

Speaking of the DS4 controller, has anyone noticed longer usage times with the DS4 included with the PS4 Pro? My old PS4's controller would need a charge about every 6 hours, but the DS4 included with my Pro is getting around 15 hours per charge. Did I hit a peripheral jackpot of sorts?

I've noticed the same, though now my on screen battery indicator reads wrong half the time for some reason.

The Switch pad is looking super solid despite a couple faults. It's a shame Pro controllers have been getting the sideline peripheral treatment for three Nintendo generations.

-shadow-

Is this a PS4 exclusive thing that the older ones can't do this? Because I connect my older DS4 model to the PC using USB and play it that way because it lacks a Bluetooth connection. The controller sends it's information just fine through USB.

MADGAME

So for the dozens of us.gif that don't care for rumble and turn it off in every game, will the pro controller last longer than the estimated 40hrs?

Scrawnton

I've noticed this too. I'm having to charge my controller nightly on my old PS4 in my room and it's only used for Netflix. My DS4 paired with my pro last much much longer.

So for the dozens of us.gif that don't care for rumble and turn it off in every game, will the pro controller last longer than the estimated 40hrs?

Depends. HD rumble might bring a precision that is required for certain games and you may not be able to disable it.

As i said earlier i think it might do as there is a third party wired only pro pad in existence

LordOfChaos

Is this a PS4 exclusive thing that the older ones can't do this? Because I connect my older DS4 model to the PC using USB and play it that way because it lacks a Bluetooth connection. The controller sends it's information just fine through USB.

I'm not sure if the older PS4s can do it with the new controller, just that you need at least the new controller to do it on the Pro. Anyone try the new controller on the old PS4?

Does anyone have any impressions on the feel of the grip and/or charging grip? I'm interested in the feel of both. What's the texture like on the grips? (Not interested in the joycons so much, lots of impressions on those already, but specifically, the grip.)

Still trying to decide if I want another set of joycons and a grip, or the pro controller.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Battery life is honestly something that doesn't bother me too much. Yeah, it sucks on PS4 but if I charge it when I'm done, I'm usually fine most of the time.

40 hours sounds great. Does it use replaceable batteries or is it lithium ion or some embedded battery?

I've come to really prefer replaceable batteries.

*edit*

Sounds like from the comments that they're not replacable, but an embedded rechargable battery. Still, great life.

Phoenixus

From user impressions alone this pad has a good chance of usurping the Wii U Pro as my favourite controller. The lack of an audio jack sucks but I've got some Bluetooth headphones to use for that anyway.

phanphare

Banned
If someone can get the gyro recognized as an input on PC, this thing will be a beast Steam controller

that's what I'm hoping for. I've been using the Wii U Pro for Steam because it's essentially an x360 pad with a much better dpad and much better battery life. would be nice to be able to use the NS Pro if the gyro can be worked out. if not the Wii U Pro is still nice and does have double the battery life.

ryanofcall

Wait a second... Nintendo Switch short is NS as in NES! That is awesome!

Also 40h sounds awesome! I guess that's w/o gyro controlls though? So for splatoon 2 it will most likely not hold up 40h. Still very impressive!
Will pick it up at some point later.

bman94

I just want to know if after you autopair it with the USB, will it stay paired after you disconnect the USB? Thats my biggest gripe with the Xbox One controller.

Kataploom

Gold Member
Considering it's exactly the same battery as in the Wii U Pro Controller (and 3DS), it's interesting to see how taxing the new features are.

Edit: Actually, I'm a bit baffled that this is "news". Nintendo announced all of this some time ago.
- 106 mm x 152 mm x 60 mm
- 246g
- Bluetooth 3.0, NFC
- Battery: 1300mAh / 40hrs (depending on software)
- Charging: 6hrs (use the included USB cable or the Nintendo Switch charger (HAC-002))

Wait... Does this mean we can connect it to PC using a regular BT dongle? That's great news!

Edit: I mean, oc when someone does a drive to make it work

cackhyena

I'm used to the few hours I get from DS4.

40 hours seems insane.
With my eneloops in my XB1 controller, this number seems normal. But that at least has an audio jack. Imma wait until Nintendo pulls their head out of their ass and does a revision with a jack.

Top Bottom