• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSFW Gaming-is-Art-Age? The Void (aka Tension)

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Clevinger said:
Isn't Gamersgate a world-wide service?

yes but some games have region restrictions, in my case i live in chile and when i try to buy the game i get this message:

"This product is not available for purchase from your location"

Downloading the huge torrent to see if I can be inspired enough to buy the game. Soundtracks to this kind of games tend to be awesome.

Kenka

This game is unfuckingbelievable.

The closest thing to it, I think, would be one of those preadolescent dreams you get some nights, the likes that leave you sweaty and huge heart rate in the morning.

Really, this thing doesn't come close to anything I've ever played with the exceptions of ICO (recent) or more accurately Heart of Darkness or Another World.

Servbot #42

Unconfirmed Member
Kiriku said:
One of the best games I've played this year. :)

Really? awesome! i will get the game in the future once i have a better comp. Hopefully the patch that supposedly makes thing easier will have been released by then since i kinda fear the difficulty a bit.

Ventrue

To provide the counterpoint, I found this game very confusing and frustrating. I can see how it could be loved, but I did not enjoy it.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
Gexecuter said:
Really? awesome! i will get the game in the future once i have a better comp. Hopefully the patch that supposedly makes thing easier will have been released by then since i kinda fear the difficulty a bit.

The hardest part for me was figuring everything out in the beginning, the game is very confusing with all the different systems and rules, and the tutorials aren't much help to be honest. There's a lot to the game that's not really explained well, but once you got the hang of it it's not really that hard (it's also a good idea to check with the official forums for faqs etc). And even when it is, it's still enjoyable. I've already restarted it once since I messed up the first time, and I still love it. :)

falconzss

watched some gameplay footage and have to say wow! it's that kind of game i haven't seen in a long time. i'd love to buy it but my pc won't run it properly even with the low system requirements :/

The LP of this game is absolutely amazing and is currently proving that this game is just so much better and more innovative than anything else on the market.

Hell, this game makes me THINK. I can't say that about any other game right now.

Brobzoid

how do I slip unnoticed out of a gloryhole booth?
The Something Awful Let's Play of The Void just wrapped up. It's a great let's play. if you don't want to/have the ability to play the game yourself you should definitively check this let's play out, the guy doing it knows what's up. Also, the SA thread had one of the devs participating so there is some fun to be had in actually reading along.

So help me god if this bump doesn't start a party I'll burn this board down. >:I

mantidor

I remember this game came with a pack of some sort in Steam, I lost interesting rather quickly though, does it get any better?, because the first stages were incredibly boring. Lots of fancy speeches and weird art, but the gameplay was hardly enjoyable. I left with the impression of being a fps with some rpg elements, all masked in an "artsy" package.

Brobzoid

mantidor said:
I remember this game came with a pack of some sort in Steam, I lost interesting rather quickly though, does it get any better?, because the first stages were incredibly boring. Lots of fancy speeches and weird art, but the gameplay was hardly enjoyable. I left with the impression of being a fps with some rpg elements, all masked in an "artsy" package.
It's a Russian dating sim with a survival element. You have one resource that keeps you alive, allows you to use your abilities and move around - but you also give this resource to the various girls you meet. Over the course of the game you get to know them and you choose one that you prefer.

One girl might be superficial and needy, another might be strong and independent and they all need to be handled differently if you hope to make something with them. It's a fantastic game, but it isn't for everyone. If you found it "artsy" then you might not enjoy it at the later stages either, although it does ramp up a bit.

Brobzoid

THe standard difficulty for the international release isn't bad once you get over the hump of understanding the mechanics. :p

I'd much rather just read up on the mechanics and then play it on the standard difficulty.

there are console commands for getting more color if the game is too hard. :x

mantidor

Brobzoid said:
It's a Russian dating sim with a survival element. You have one resource that keeps you alive, allows you to use your abilities and move around - but you also give this resource to the various girls you meet. Over the course of the game you get to know them and you choose one that you prefer.

One girl might be superficial and needy, another might be strong and independent and they all need to be handled differently if you hope to make something with them. It's a fantastic game, but it isn't for everyone. If you found it "artsy" then you might not enjoy it at the later stages either, although it does ramp up a bit.

haha you are supposed to go for the girls? now I understand better why I didn't "get" it the first time.

I will give it a try, now I remember the garden and how you harvest "color", it has a lot of gameplay bits, action, strategy, exploration, etc, but I don't know if they go well together or how well developed they get, we'll see.

Brobzoid

mantidor said:
haha you are supposed to go for the girls? now I understand better why I didn't "get" it the first time.

I will give it a try, now I remember the garden and how you harvest "color", it has a lot of gameplay bits, action, strategy, exploration, etc, but I don't know if they go well together or how well developed they get, we'll see.
Yea, you're supposed to give color to the girls (their preferences are listed in the top right corner), but once you've given them one or two loads their boyfriends will start to take note of you and try to relegate you to a different girl (that you can't reach) to keep you away from any of theirs. This sets up the gameplay premise: harvest color, hang out with girls, avoid their boyfriends.

:)

TTG

Brobzoid said:
The Something Awful Let's Play of The Void just wrapped up. It's a great let's play. if you don't want to/have the ability to play the game yourself you should definitively check this let's play out, the guy doing it knows what's up. Also, the SA thread had one of the devs participating so there is some fun to be had in actually reading along.

So help me god if this bump doesn't start a party I'll burn this board down. >:I

This game and the STALKER series make me regret having an old pc. If only either of these were on the Onlive thing, I would sign up this instant.... but I digress.

I'll be watching the videos, thanks a lot for the link.

Brobzoid

yay.

If you want you can download a torrent of the bonus disc from the russian version off of the official forums. There are some real nice concept art pieces and there is a video interview and music and whatnot.

Xapati

For some reason, the game doesn't run all that well on my system. I get tearing, even if I turn vertical sync on (which actually makes it run worse). It's not game breaking or anything, but I really don't see why my machine shouldn't be able to run it better.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Brobzoid said:
Yea, you're supposed to give color to the girls (their preferences are listed in the top right corner), but once you've given them one or two loads their boyfriends will start to take note of you and try to relegate you to a different girl (that you can't reach) to keep you away from any of theirs. This sets up the gameplay premise: harvest color, hang out with girls, avoid their boyfriends.

:)

Sounds like my typical pre-GF fridaynight :(

clip

One of, if not the best game I've every played. It subverted my idea of what games were capable of, and I love it for that.

Top Bottom