• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSMBU & Nintendo Land Download Sizes & Japan DD games

NSMBU: More than 2GB of free space required.
Nintendo Land: More than 3.2GB of free space required.

Digital Download Titles:

http://search1.nintendo.co.jp/search/software.php?parent=2

Launch:
Orochi 2 Hyper (Dec 8th) ¥6,300
FIFA '13 (Dec 8th) ¥7,655
Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition (Dec 8th) ¥5,480
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (Dec 8th) ¥6,300
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Dec 8th) ¥6,280
Zombi U (Dec 8th) ¥6,300
Assassin's Creed III (Dec 8th) ¥6,930
Nintendo Land (Dec 8th) ¥4,935
New Super Mario Bros. U (Dec 8th) ¥5,985

Post-Launch
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 (Dec 13th) ¥8,000
Sports Connection (Dec 20th) ¥4,200
Simple Series for Wii U Vol. 1 (Dec 20th) ¥2,940

nickcv

NSMBU: More than 2GB of free space required.
Nintendo Land: More than 3.2GB of free space required.

Digital Download Titles:

http://search1.nintendo.co.jp/search/software.php?parent=2

Launch:
Orochi 2 Hyper (Dec 8th)
FIFA '13 (Dec 8th)
Batman: Arkham City Armoured Edition (Dec 8th)
Ninja Gaiden 3 Razor's Edge (Dec 8th)
Tekken Tag Tournament 2 (Dec 8th)
Zombi U (Dec 8th)
Assassin's Creed III (Dec 8th)
Nintendo Land (Dec 8th)
New Super Mario Bros. U (Dec 8th)

Post-Launch
Romance of the Three Kingdoms 12 (Dec 13th)
Sports Connection (Dec 20th)
Simple Series for Wii U Vol. 1 (Dec 20th)

nice!
did we already knew for sure that ubisoft was releasing it's games in DD from day one?

it's a little sad that NSMBU could still fit into a DVD...

TriGen

Now when will NA get this list!? I want to know if BLOP2 will be a on the eShop or not.

NoA will probaly have a similar list, as these games all seem "global" friendly.

That's actually a bigger list than I thought. Since we haven't heard anything besides first-party games and Tekken I was starting to think the day 1 list might be a little light. It's weird that they haven't bothered to mention what games would be available, you had to find this online.

vareon

I don't even want to imagine having to swap discs to play Nintendoland in case friends or family came over.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
good news, 2GB is small enough to download day one and not be too frustrated waiting for it to finish.

And Nintendo first party games are good candidates for DD, as retail prices don't tend to be as discounted as third parties.

TriGen

given the choice I would download most of my games.

NintendoLand should have been pre-installed

I've been torn on whether to go DD or not, but when I look at my drawers that have big cases in them, I'm more tempted. Also, I don't usually trade-in games but I also don't have a tendency to look for old stuff years down the road (in aforementioned drawers), so I think just having NSMBU on my system means I'll be more likely to play it down the road.

What I'm getting at is while I see why NL is a disc, because Nintendo would of had to take 3GB of your flash (if you weren't going DD), it still makes me wish it wasn't because I like to keep everything together and a random Wii U box will bug me. And it will make me less likely to play NL down the road, if I get used to everything being right there.

Ydahs

Didn't know there were so many retail games available for download on day one. No Scribblenauts? :(

Hmm, I'll probably stick to physical copies for now but I hope more developers opt in for digital downloads. A lot easier to impulse buy though.

TriGen

good news, 2GB is small enough to download day one and not be too frustrated waiting for it to finish.

And Nintendo first party games are good candidates for DD, as retail prices don't tend to be as discounted as third parties.

Yeah, nintendo games make the most DD sense. As shown by that Wal-Mart black Friday thread, where NSMB for the DS is still being sold for $30 6 years later. You can find that cheaper now, I'm sure, but the point is if you live where I do meaning no place that sells games besides Wal-Mart and GameStop, you can't get a Nintendo game in-store for any sort of disount. And if you want the game day 1 it's not an option because Nintendo games come out Sunday, meaning no online deals will get you the game right away.

Thanks to the OP for posting this!
This has made my day :)

I'm really hyped for WiiU and can't wait for my Japanese unit to turn up - digital downloads make the WiiU one of the more import friendly home consoles :)

TriGen

Japanese list.
Scribblenauts hasn't been announced here iirc.

Hmm, never played Scribblenauts before but if it is digital in NA I'd be tempted. I imagine localizing that for Japan is tough (whether it would have a market anyway, I don't know), considering all the text. I feel like that's part of the reason AC isn't coming this holiday for the 3DS, a sim game has a lot of text in it.

Roo

New Super Mario Bros. U seems to be quite large compared to New Super Mario Bros. Wii
2.5 times bigger or so. Again, "free space" does not equal complete size so we'll have to wait

Bear

No. But it would have been funny if Nintendo never stopped using blocks. Imagine them counting up Tekken's 17GB download.

On Wii it would be around 136,000 blocks.

If they wanted to go old school and use GC blocks (125 blocks/MB), it would be 2.125 million.

elektrixx

Banned
Has it been confirmed that at least NintendoLand and NSMB U will be available at launch? Looks like a "yes" in Japan at least. I plan on not buying any discs and will actually buy NintendoLand twice to avoid them.

TriGen

Has it been confirmed that at least NintendoLand and NSMB U will be available at launch? Looks like a "yes" in Japan at least. I plan on not buying any discs and will actually buy NintendoLand twice to avoid them.

Yes. Day one retail and DD for both. Should even be up at midnight based off the 3DS.

Burai

shitonmychest57

Can you not just put the Nintendoland disk in the system and just leave it in there? I mean, it's your money and all but, well, y'know.

TriGen

Can you not just put the Nintendoland disk in the system and just leave it in there? I mean, it's your money and all but, well, y'know.

That's what I will do, if I decide to go mostly digital. Whatever game I have in disc form will just be left in. I never double dip though, unless there is a HD re-release of a personal favorite game.

elektrixx

Banned

But then my collection won't be nice and neat!

I won't sell my copy because it's a part of the console bundle, but I'll store it away in the console box forever.

Neifirst

I'd like to know what the sales tax situation is going to be. I've got a bunch of Best Buy credit, but it may be more advantageous to buy some $50 and $20 eshop cards, use them to get the 10% Nintendo Network credit + be tax-free...

sensui-tomo

in that list i only believe we are not getting one game so i'd assume our list to be similar (its romance of the three kingdoms btw... they never brought 12 over)

Orayn

Those prices are all discounts compared to the Japanese retail versions, right? Hope we get discounted eShop games in America too...

Also, I really stopped worrying about game sizes being too small when I learned that Dark Souls didn't even fill a single layer DVD. The developers *could* fill up more space by using uncompressed assets, but there's really no benefit to doing so in most cases.

stuminus3

it's a little sad that NSMBU could still fit into a DVD...
Blows my mind that someone on a forum like GAF could think something as stupid as this.

You should check out the demo scene, it's amazing what some of those guys can fit into 1KB.

Required storage space is not the same thing as download size. The download size should be a lot smaller, as the games should download as compressed files which then expand onto storage.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Glad to see the small (but expected) size for NSMB U. Every time I brought up few games being 25gb in size, someone would blast me with the 17gb Tekken download figure.

Especially considering the past NSMB titles have been under 500 MB. What's taking up so much space? The actual overworld?

Hmm... 720p is roughly 3x the resolution of 480p (assuming DVD 720x480). To retain similar visual clarity, they'll likely need to make all of the assets 3x larger at least... and since the assets are what make up the majority of space.....

Tah dah!

(edit) A Human Becoming: Did you miss the threads with people complaining about the thought of the game just being pre-installed? Hell, they were up in arms about it not only being a physical release, but one with a true retail box.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
Also, I really stopped worrying about game sizes being too small when I learned that Dark Souls didn't even fill a single layer DVD. The developers *could* fill up more space by using uncompressed assets, but there's really no benefit to doing so in most cases.
Totally agree. Not every game needs to take as much space as Max Payne 3 or Force Unleashed do.

I'm glad to see so many games will be released as DD. In my country boxed games are so overpriced it's ridiculous.

bumpkin

I wonder how big the other titles are. Tekken Tag 2 is the only one I've heard anything about (~13GB).

Top Bottom