• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSMBWii reaches 10 million sold!!

I think this deserves it's own thread.

It was posted by bttb in the "New Super Mario Bros. Outsells Super Mario Galaxy (bad thing...?)" thread:

Nikkei Net says New Super Mario Bros. Wii has now sold 10 million units worldwide. The milestone was reached in around 8 weeks. This makes it the fast selling individual format title to 10 million.

Japan sales have reached 3 million according to Enterbrain. North America sales are over 4.5 million and Europe sales are approaching 3 million.

I think it will reach 20 million by years end.

Clarification: 10 million worldwide.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Incoming barrage of Nintendo gifs and pics.

Prints money.

Rise to heaven.

Drinky crow rise to heaven.

Pimp Yamauchi.

GDGF

Soothsayer
Return of the King.

Iwata_bling.jpg

So Reggie wins, right?

Divvy

Canadians burned my passport
Congrats, that's astounding.

I still need to pick this up, don't know why I'm dawdling so much.

Threi

notag
Every single copy of this game sold is well deserved. It's a "win" for this industry in more ways than one IMO.

AniHawk

cosmicblizzard said:
Ridiculous. This might end up the best selling game of all time if it continues at this rate for a little longer.
As far as nonbundled stuff goes, it has a shot. I don't see it beating the likes of Tetris, SMB, or Wii Sports on its own though.

jman2050

I guess the people who were insistent that NSMBWii wouldn't mirror the success of its DS counterpart were correct.

It's not going to mirror it, it's going to surpass it by a whole lot.

AniHawk said:
As far as nonbundled stuff goes, it has a shot. I don't see it beating the likes of Tetris, SMB, or Wii Sports on its own though.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Obviously it won't beat Wii Sports unless everyone in Japan out of no where decides to buy a Wii and only pick up NSMBW.

AniHawk

cosmicblizzard said:
Yeah, that's what I mean. Obviously it won't beat Wii Sports unless everyone in Japan out of no where decides to buy a Wii and only pick up NSMBW.

NSMBW is well on its way to outselling Wii Sports in Japan, at least. I think WS is still the Wii's best selling game there.

stupei

jman2050 said:
I guess the people who were insistent that NSMBWii wouldn't mirror the success of its DS counterpart were correct.

It's not going to mirror it, it's going to surpass it by a whole lot.

:lol

udivision

I'm no moneyologist, but isn't that about half a billion in revenue? And, considering how sticky first party prices are it'll probably be accurate to calculate it like that for a while.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
One of the few bazillion selling games I think actually deserves it.

stupei

legend166 said:
When did this horrible misinformation start that Super Mario Galaxy didn't sell well start?

People are so dumb.

Wii owners don't buy real games unless they are tricked into it with sneaky ad campaigns that remind them of their childhood, for as we all know all Wii owners are now old and also mothers.

AniHawk said:
NSMBW is well on its way to outselling Wii Sports in Japan, at least. I think WS is still the Wii's best selling game there.

I figured, but I meant worldwide. Since the game is bundled with the console in every major region except Japan, it would be near impossible for NSMBW to pass Wii Sports.

Michan

ShockingAlberto said:
You think Mario Galaxy 2 will only sell 600k worldwide as opposed to the eight million the original sold?
Well NSMBW certainly isn't going to stop at 10 million, but I do agree that his estimate was a little low.

It'll sell at least 8%.

stupei

Honestly though one of the best games to come out last year and sure to be one that we'll all be able to come back to years from now and still enjoy. The kind of game design that just does not date itself.

Congrats Nintendo. Finally got around to playing this the other day in Best Buy. Will be repurchasing a wii because of this game. So awesome

Rainier

OmegaFactor said:
I hope that at least 60% of that audience will also buy Super Mario Galaxy 2.

Although SMG sold really well, I think the success (and awareness) of NSMBWii will help Galaxy 2 to sell a lot more than the first. And this will just continue to drive the long tail for SMG for those that buy SMG2, then go back to check out the original.

At the start of this gen I never would have thought Mario games would continue to sell this much. Is there a bigger IP in gaming?

SMG2 will sell well, it may not reach SMG1 sales but still sell well. If Nintendo advertises it with bits from NSMBwii and show that players of NSMBWii need to play SMG2, then it will sell pretty well.

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
udivision said:
Um.. doesn't this thread scream "ain't gonna happen," esepcially "ASAP"?
Yeah, betting we won't see one till next gen. Although, in my dreams, I can see Nintendo releasing new Worlds over WiiWare :D
Rainier said:
At the start of this gen I never would have thought Mario games would continue to sell this much. Is there a bigger IP in gaming?
No

udivision said:
Um.. doesn't this thread scream "ain't gonna happen," esepcially "ASAP"?

I see a new NSMB game coming out for the successor of the DS. As for NSMBWii2 or NSMB on Wii 2, it will have to wait a long time imo.

Top Bottom