• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSMBWii reaches 10 million sold!!

NEW Super Mario Galaxy 2 Wii in a blue box, Im calling it! Good on Nintendo. The fact that a 2D Mario game still sells so well in today's age just puts a smile on my face. Hope Galaxy does just as well.

Michan

BowieZ said:
Which official thread? Galaxy's? NSMBW wasn't out yet...

Since NSMBW's release, in these types of threads I seem to see one "meh NSMBW" post for every "best Mario ever" post... (for every "wut? nsmbw was better? you're insane" reply.)
Yes, Galaxy's. I remember Amir0x having a meltdown over how amazing he found it, and his feelings pretty much reflected the entire gist of the thread and comments about the game over the boards.

With NSBW, the thoughts summed up were pretty much, "Yeah, I liked it!" with a huge amount of discrepancy outside of the official thread (people on opposite ends of the spectrum). With Galaxy, it was almost as if the whole of GAF (or at least, the ones who were playing Galaxy) had fell in love again.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
GaimeGuy said:
Mario is the Mickey Mouse of video games.
I cant think of anyone who pioneered something and is still the most relevant name in it. Mickey isn't at the hight of his popularity, so he doesn't quite fit.

Dogenzaka

Banned
BowieZ said:
I'm too dumbfounded that your opinion isn't ordained by the masses.

Rude :lol :lol

Seriously congratulations to NSMBWii. I have no ill-will towards it. I'm just surprised, not upset.

If anything I'm disappointed my other favorite games of last year haven't sold as much as NSMBWii, but that's probably because they appeal more to me than they do to, well, everyone on earth like Mario.

Dogenzaka said:
Rude :lol :lol

Seriously congratulations to NSMBWii. I have no ill-will towards it. I'm just surprised, not upset.

If anything I'm disappointed my other favorite games of last year haven't sold as much as NSMBWii, but that's probably because they appeal more to me than they do to, well, everyone on earth like Mario.
My favourite game of last year sold like 12,000 copies. C'est la vie, my friend.

cvxfreak said:
cvxfreakgirl.gif x 12

aewu9l.jpg

wRATH2x

Banned
Well deserved!

This game restored my faith in the Mario franchise, I wasn't as amazed a other gaffers when it comes to Galaxy and I absolutely hated NSMBDS. Good to see this game doing amazingly.

I wish Nintendo will give every iteration of Mario a new installment. They will all sell and I'm pretty sure Nintendo will make em good. I want Luigi's Mansion 2, Super Mario Sunshine 2, New Super Mario Bros. Wii 2 and an actual sequel for Super Mario 64!

BowieZ

Banned
idwl said:
I've only played the first few worlds with a few friends but how long on average would it take to beat?
Just beating the final boss (no guesses who)? As long as any other 2D Mario game when playing with experience.

All the star coins? A lot longer.

But yeah, it depends how good you are at Mario games.

Michan said:
Yes, Galaxy's. I remember Amir0x having a meltdown over how amazing he found it, and his feelings pretty much reflected the entire gist of the thread and comments about the game over the boards.

With NSBW, the thoughts summed up were pretty much, "Yeah, I liked it!" with a huge amount of discrepancy outside of the official thread (people on opposite ends of the spectrum). With Galaxy, it was almost as if the whole of GAF (or at least, the ones who were playing Galaxy) had fell in love again.
Dare I say much of that had to do with the novelty factor? (I don't mean the novelty of having a new game, I mean the novelty of flying through colorful planets in space.) Now that that has worn off for a lot of people, and now that they can compare it with NSMBW, at the moment I'm simply saying that recent posts reflect a split between preferring Galaxy and preferring NSMBW. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's evenly split AT THE MOMENT.

However, when NSMBW's novelty wears off (the novelty of it being a new game), it'll be interesting to see what the retrospective will be like... especially as this will be about the same time Galaxy 2 -- not having most of the 'gameplay novelty' Galaxy 1 enjoyed -- is released.

Ranger X

Michan said:
I hope you haven't played Galaxy. But I guess that wouldn't count, since there's no question; Galaxy simply is your favourite Mario.

Oh I love Galaxy, it's clearly the best 3D Mario ever for me. But I sort of seperate 2D and 3D Marios. Also, since I am a son of SMB anyways, I always have a little something more for 2D Marios. They will always be superior in some ways. An excellent 2D platformer is generally better than an excellent 3D one. It's easier to design tight platformer in 2D too.

knkng said:
Is that really bad for this type of game? Is it wrong for me to optimistic about the sequel getting a translation? *begins to pray*
The sequel will never, ever be translated. I think the hopes for that would have started at about 30k sold.

Michan

BowieZ said:
Dare I say much of that had to do with the novelty factor? (I don't mean the novelty of having a new game, I mean the novelty of flying through colorful planets in space.) Now that that has worn off for a lot of people, and now that they can compare it with NSMBW, at the moment I'm simply saying that recent posts reflect a split between preferring Galaxy and preferring NSMBW. I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure it's evenly split AT THE MOMENT.

However, when NSMBW's novelty wears off (the novelty of it being a new game), it'll be interesting to see what the retrospective will be like... especially as this will be about the same time Galaxy 2 -- not having most of the 'gameplay novelty' Galaxy 1 enjoyed -- is released.
I was almost about to disagree with you entirely, but we met in your last paragraph. Many big releases have a "novelty factor" or hype to begin with. Galaxy's hype was insane, and it stuck for a long time. It also maintains unprecedented review scores, whereas NSMB doesn't; NSMBW didn't really have this same level of hype (or at least, it wasn't as widespread), and not everyone can really agree on a fixed conclusion (people disliking the music/graphics or arguing about the difficulty curve) despite it only just leaving hype zone. On the other hand, people seemed rather contented with Galaxy and even went on to later rank it amongst classics in "favourite (Wii/Mario/Nintendo/*) game/music/etc ever"-type threads as late as last year.

Sure, I'd like to look back in several years when the generation is over and discover which was better-received, but I'm pretty confident as to which title will take that crown. The consensus seems that Galaxy truly is up there above and beyond not only Mario games, but many games overall, whereas we're still trying to decide if NSMBW even ranks within the top Mario games.

OnPoint

Segata Sanshiro said:
The sequel will never, ever be translated. I think the hopes for that would have started at about 30k sold.

There is nearly nothing in the world that breaks my heart more than hearing that.

knkng

Segata Sanshiro said:
Dammit. I wouldn't have minded so much if not for the text-based adventure that's in there. And reading the Wiki now, it seems that they had a target of 100k? Insanity.

knkng said:
Dammit. I wouldn't have minded so much if not for the text-based adventure that's in there. And reading the Wiki now, it seems that they had a target of 100k? Insanity.
I think the dude was kidding about the 100k, but they certainly must have expected more than what they got. It was a more difficult and expensive game to license than XSEED's usual fare, to boot.

There are FAQs to guide you through Detective Kacho though, and in GC CX2 if you get stuck, you can skip a game and go to the next challenge. I'd say it's considerably more import friendly than the first game because of that.

Anyway, we should probably get back to Mario's 85th champagne party.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Wow, shit, wow.

What was Reggie's actual bet? Because it still hasn't outsold MW2.

But it will.

Dacvak said:
Wow, shit, wow.

But it will.

The initial bet was that it would outsell just one platform. That then immediately got raised to beating both platforms at the host's insistence.

However, from what I recall, that's not combined. That is, Mario simply needs to outsell the amount of whichever console sold the most MW2's in order for Reggie to win.

Dacvak said:
Wow, shit, wow.

But it will.
I think Reggie specified a single version of MW2, which NSMBWii has managed, regardless of which version you choose. But he also said during the holiday season, which it didn't manage to do.

OnPoint

Segata Sanshiro said:
I think Reggie specified a single version of MW2, which NSMBWii has managed, regardless of which version you choose. But he also said during the holiday season, which it didn't manage to do.

He said take the numbers through January. Wouldn't that include this month's numbers?

"Absolutely. I say that unequivocally," Reggie proclaimed. He did issue the caveat that they'll only compare sales of Modern Warfare 2 on the 360 and not the 360, PS3, and PC combined for this unofficial challenge, but it's a rather bold claim nevertheless. "Let's take it all the way through the January NPD data -- yes. I'll put that stake in the ground."

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3176817

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Man. How many of those copies do you think Reggie bought himself just to win the bet?

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Man, and this only after a little over two months. I wonder where it'll be at after a year when it's had a nice long run. Some very impressive number are in the pipes I suspect.

Segata Sanshiro said:

He specified that the holiday season included January, which I believe now puts it past MW2 on any single platform.

I'm not surprised. I issued pretty much the exact same bet two years ago with Mario Kart Wii and Grand Theft Auto 4. Everyone thought I was insane...

Mojojo

Not really surprised, It takes something special to see a tv commercial(France) for a game just to tell people that it is back in stores.
First time I saw that was for
Mario Kart Wii

swerve

Yeah, Reggie will win if his bet is WorldWide, but we'll never get those numbers. He won't win against 360 if it's for US only, even through January.

Not that it matters, it was a very vague wager and all it really does is highlight how much MW2 and Mario have both sold as the flag-holders for their respective platforms. Everyone wins.

Not at all surprised by this news. I am, however, surprised by the sudden supply issues of wii, it seems. Now that nsmb wii seems to be in plentiful supply in most areas, it now appears that it's the wii's turn to be in short supply. Target, Gamestop, and Walmart are all out of stock online. Don't know how accurate the in store trackers are for Target and Best Buy, but when I punch in several zip codes in my area, almost every single Target and Best Buy are out of wii's.

GDGF

Soothsayer
nextgeneration said:
Not at all surprised by this news. I am, however, surprised by the sudden supply issues of wii, it seems. Now that nsmb wii seems to be in plentiful supply in most areas, it now appears that it's the wii's turn to be in short supply. Target, Gamestop, and Walmart are all out of stock online. Don't know how accurate the in store trackers are for Target and Best Buy, but when I punch in several zip codes in my area, almost every single Target and Best Buy are out of wii's.

:lol I'm going to laugh my balls off (in amazement) if the shortages start up again.

GDGF said:
:lol I'm going to laugh my balls off (in amazement) if the shortages start up again.

Yeah, same here. Looks like the game is still pushing hardware sales, like it did in December, it seems. Or Nintendo didn't ship enough systems in January? Who knows....

confuziz

Banned
nextgeneration said:

NPD January

Nintendo faces new shortages

That's practically all they need to say. Everyone knows what that means by now :lol

Top Bottom