• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NSMBWii reaches 10 million sold!!

Good, this game deserves it. It's pretty damn good and took me by surprise really (I was with very low expectations)

The ONLY bad thing, is that third party companies will start with the: "Nintendo is the only one that sells on their consoles" speech...

I think someone else mentioned it earlier in this thread, but I too think SMG is kind of a less than ideal pick up-and-play game, especially because the intro/tutorial part is so lengthy. Mario 64 did it a lot better because its introduction was about as barebones as can be. I kinda wonder if SMG2 will be simpler and more accessible in this regard, what with Miyamoto mentioning that there will be "less story" this time around.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
gerg said:
Sequels not specifically targeted at 18-35 males...

Will extending the age limits by about five or ten years either way make that much of a difference?

Pretty sure NSMB Wii is a sequel to NSMB DS.

Boney

Banned
gerg said:
Fair enough.

Sequels not specifically targeted at the 18-35 male audience almost always sell less than their predecessors.

What about Brain Age? I'm pretty sure Brain Age 2 sold more than the original.

gerg

Boney said:
What about Brain Age? I'm pretty sure Brain Age 2 sold more than the original.

Alas, it did not.

Wikipedia has Brain Age 2 at 13.X million compared to the original's 17.X million.

ThatObviousUser

ὁ αἴσχιστος παῖς εἶ
Blah blah blah technicalities, you made a dumb blanket statement and that's that. >_>

gamergirly said:
GameplayWhore said:
When I saw the demos of Galaxy at Gamestop, I was like "wow, that was a mistake". Most of the time, it was in the World 1 hut, and passing-by prospective players would have *no idea* how to get to any of the levels. It's just not obvious to point and click the star thing, since they didn't go through that intro tutorial. People I saw trying it would run around and jump like mad fools in this tiny little room for a minute or two then just slink off elsewhere. It would have been really smart to have a special demo disc that started the game off with a "click one of these giant buttons to choose" level selector instead of just using a regular game disc.

It's much easier with NSMBW, where once the game is started, you move the little mario forward and then hit one of the buttons to start the level. If Galaxy 2 has a similarly user-friendly kiosk, it could help a bit to make that particular 3D Mario incarnation not quite as daunting.

2D is usually more simpler than 3D. With that said, I dont see how it would take someone a long time to figure out what to do in Super Mario Galaxy. The instruction manual, if nothing else, explained the basics well. It's not even that complicated of a game

I meant specifically in the context of people who own a Wii, haven't bought the game, and walk into the store to see what they should buy. They walk in and try the demo, and it's not fun at all because they can't get anywhere. It's a threat to salability of the product.

Celine

SkinnyPupp said:
Out of those 10,000,000 sold, I bet about 9,500,000 never made it past the ice level :lol
If people can't beat a level even using the Super Guide then I don't think there is much hope :lol

Celine

gerg said:
Sequels not specifically targeted at 18-35 males...

Will extending the age limits by about five or ten years either way make that much of a difference?
You are generalizating to much there :p
It depends if a Genre King ( I suppose we are talking about them ) has achieve its full potential on a platform or episode.
For example Animal Crossing Wild World had a sharp sales increase compared to the still successful Animal Crossing for GC.

SMG 2 is likely to sell less than SMG because it is a strict sequel on the same system of a Genre King whose genre has already past its prime time ( in public interest ).

gerg

Celine said:
You are generalizating to much there :p
It depends if a Genre King ( I suppose we are talking about them ) has achieve its full potential on a platform or episode.

I think that the concept of a "genre king" is irrelevant, as I would have thought that is generally mentioned in reference to the sales of two or more various titles when compared to the sales of another title or franchise, within the same genre, that is disproportionately more popular.

The problem with mentioning such a concept is that it is arguable that SMG and NSMB Wii are not within the same genres (we are comparing "2D platformers" with "3D platformers") and also that they are the same franchise - in fact, if we agree that "2D platformers" are significantly distinct from "3D platformers", then both SMG and NSMB Wii are kings within their own genres.

I don't disagree with your general point, but I don't think that mentioning the concept of "genre kings" is especially useful in this discussion. : )

For example Animal Crossing Wild World had a sharp sales increase compared to the still successful Animal Crossing for GC.

Of course. I just don't think we need to reference the concept of "genre kings" to explain its success. Rather, its success might be attributed to the fact that - and I think that this is a trend we see in many games targeted towards the expanded audience - it did something different with the concept of the game, rather than simply offering more of the same.

Boney

Banned
Wait! Didn't San Andreas sold more than GTA III and Vice City? But if one had to think so much for an example, that kinda proves your point right?

Halo 1 and 2 could also work.

Celine

@Gerg
Good god I lost a relatively ( for my engrish ) long post :-\

I agree about what you wrote in the last reply.

The point I wanted to make was regarding this sentence
"Sequels not specifically targeted at the 18-35 male audience almost always sell less than their predecessors."

Games like GTA or Guitar Heroes had sequels ( like San Andreas and GH III ) that outsold their previous entries without substantial addition simply because they were released very quickly when the genre ( in these example, they established it ) was still on fire, popular.
I wouldn't use the "18-35 male audience" clause.

Celine

Willy105 said:
What would you call it?
The first sequel on console after 15 year of a popular franchise that established the genre, a very accessible genre, with a novel multiplayer mode on a console where the main selling points are accessibility and local multiplayer ?
Don't know how condense it though, maybe a "smart move".

The Technomancer

card-carrying scientician
Its hard to call anything in the main Mario line a "sequel" because there's been so many of them. I mean, yeah, Galaxy 2 is a sequel, obviously, but in general, we're at the point of "yet another Mario game".

I guess what I'm saying is you could make an argument for NSMBWii as a sequel to the original SMB all those years ago, as every game since has been a sequel.

I am so sorry that I added to this by 1... :(

I played it at my first house and there were only 3 of us playing but it was still amazingly fun and a nuthouse still with only 3. We were all laughing and yelling at each other "HIT A TO BUBBLE"!!! It was just pure enjoyment. And then I even went and played single player through 2 worlds and had just as much fun as a single player experience. Damn, they just will not loose their ability to impress me.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
gerg said:
I think that the concept of a "genre king" is irrelevant, as I would have thought that is generally mentioned in reference to the sales of two or more various titles when compared to the sales of another title or franchise, within the same genre, that is disproportionately more popular.

The problem with mentioning such a concept is that it is arguable that SMG and NSMB Wii are not within the same genres (we are comparing "2D platformers" with "3D platformers") and also that they are the same franchise - in fact, if we agree that "2D platformers" are significantly distinct from "3D platformers", then both SMG and NSMB Wii are kings within their own genres.

I don't disagree with your general point, but I don't think that mentioning the concept of "genre kings" is especially useful in this discussion. : )

Of course. I just don't think we need to reference the concept of "genre kings" to explain its success. Rather, its success might be attributed to the fact that - and I think that this is a trend we see in many games targeted towards the expanded audience - it did something different with the concept of the game, rather than simply offering more of the same.
I don't think NSMB Wii has a lock on the 2D platformer category. You could argue that it's not even the best 2D Mario game.

Mael

SapientWolf said:
I don't think NSMB Wii has a lock on the 2D platformer category. You could argue that it's not even the best 2D Mario game.

You know another sidescroller that will/have rock/rocked the world released in the last 10 years?

Mael

AniHawk said:
Sonic Rush/Adventure > NSMB.
Is it :lol-day? Or am I in bizarro gaf?
seriously I picked up Rush adventure thinking it was the bioware rpg (thank god it wasn't btw) and Rush later on the cheap,
My god they're better than the abominations we get on console these days but that doesn't make them competent Sonic games

AniHawk

Mael said:
seriously I picked up Rush adventure thinking it was the bioware rpg (thank god it wasn't btw) and Rush later on the cheap,
My god they're better than the abominations we get on console these days but that doesn't make them competent Sonic games

And yet they're still better than NSMB.

Mael said:
I don't think anyone is saying they're up to snuff with the classic Sonic games, but they don't have to be to outclass NSMB, which isn't overtly bad so much as terribly bland in every respect. Seriously, NSMB feels like a hollow knock off of other Mario games. Thankfully NSMB Wii managed to take the same retro homage concept and actually make a game worthy of the Mario name out of it.

Chuckman

SkinnyPupp said:
Out of those 10,000,000 sold, I bet about 9,500,000 never made it past the ice level :lol
Hehe Yeah! I'll bet not. I'm loving this game but it's hard! It's a blast playing in multi-player. The difficulty and the amount of fail is so ridiculus that it just starts to be so funny! I've had tears in my eyes from laughing so hard while playing it multi-player. This game is very deserving of the huge sales.

Mael

AniHawk said:
And yet they're still better than NSMB.
It'll be better when the games won't be filled with trial/error level design, expecting the player to know the layout by heart is something i expect from Kaizou Mario, NOT vanilla Sonic game.
The games feel like time trial runs more than platforming games, the level design features even less options than Sonic R.
Yep it feels like a competent Sonic Rivals.
I know GAF loves to shit on nsmb and other popular games,
I can see how some might have had been disappointed thinking it was below their expectations but if you ask me it pretty much crap on 80% of games released in the last 5 years.
I mean some even go the extra mile and consider Mario 64 DS over this? I mean it's like they played the 'playable' version of the game while I was busy with a beta.
I mean even disregarding the level design for a second (which vary greatly in quality in the game), the control of Mario is miles ahead of anything this side of Yoshi's Island

Mael said:
I know GAF loves to shit on nsmb and other popular games
That's a cop out. GAF is not one person with a set opinion. Your explanation also does nothing to address why many of us dislike NSMB but think NSMB Wii is a great game.

Mael

GrotesqueBeauty said:
That's a cop out. GAF is not one person with a set opinion. Your explanation also does nothing to address why many of us dislike NSMB but think NSMB Wii is a great game.
Oh yeah that's right, like being bland is a real reason why some prefer broken games over it?
I mean come on a minute, Sonic Rush & Adventure?
they're not even good at what they try to do.

AKingNamedPaul

I am Homie
Mael said:
Oh yeah that's right, like being bland is a real reason why some prefer broken games over it?
I don't agree with the hive mind about nsmb being a bad game, but I also don't agree with you saying rush isn't good at what it tries to do. NSMB is the better game, but the reason imo is that rush doesn't have enough content/diversity (never played adventure.)

What I played in rush was a ton of fun, and when I got the hang of dashing/upping my meter with tricks/learning the levels I was having more fun than I ever did with nsmb. If Rush had a few more worlds I would be able to say with full confidence that it is a better game, because what I played in rush (which I played to the original sonic music) was a great deal more fun than what I played in nsmb. Rush also seemed to throw an entirely different mechanic at you in each world, which was a exciting, but the boss fights where pretty lame.

Mael said:
I don't agree that they're broken, and while they're not great at what they do, they are however good at it. Granted Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure aren't exactly knock-your-socks-off incredible (neither is NSMB imo), but at least they weren't boring. NSMB is polished, but stiff and lifeless. I'll take something that's rough around certain edges but interesting any day of the week. That's not to say I don't share some of your criticisms of the DS Sonic games, but at least they don't bore me. And yes, being bland is sort of a deal breaker when it comes to entertainment products.

Mael

GrotesqueBeauty said:
I don't agree that they're broken, and while they're not great at what they do, they are however good at it. Granted Sonic Rush and Sonic Rush Adventure aren't exactly knock-your-socks-off incredible (neither is NSMB imo), but at least they weren't boring. NSMB is polished, but stiff and lifeless. I'll take something that's rough around certain edges but interesting any day of the week. That's not to say I don't share some of your criticisms of the DS Sonic games, but at least they don't bore me. And yes, being bland is sort of a deal breaker when it comes to entertainment products.

Well I guess we will simply agree to disagree there, if anything it was the dimps games that seemed bland to me (much LESS bland that anything Sonic I played this side of Secret Rings that is). It felt a by the number Sonic game that tries to capture what made Sonic great and utterly failed at that. The worlds were uninteresting, devoid of foes like its 3d counter parts (bar the cthuluh horror Shadow the craphog) and to make matter worse the moves added felt like the spindash only less crappy.
I mean at least in nsmb they took something familiar and put a spin on it, it's not the best mario game ever (it really is Yoshi's Island) but it sure as hell provided better accroatics than the run and hope you remember the layout Rushs games.
I mean I did have some enjoyment over the Sonic Rushs games, but seriously it's not anywhere close to something like nsmb, your regular kirby or even Castlevania (any of them)

osoul

Neo Member
On a side note, am I the only one, who thinks Giana Sisters DS is better than NSMB (DS)? It's simpler and easier, but it's far more attractive, and somewhat more faithful to the mario-esque platforming.

Mael said:
Well I guess we will simply agree to disagree there, if anything it was the dimps games that seemed bland to me (much LESS bland that anything Sonic I played this side of Secret Rings that is). It felt a by the number Sonic game that tries to capture what made Sonic great and utterly failed at that. The worlds were uninteresting, devoid of foes like its 3d counter parts (bar the cthuluh horror Shadow the craphog) and to make matter worse the moves added felt like the spindash only less crappy.
I mean at least in nsmb they took something familiar and put a spin on it, it's not the best mario game ever (it really is Yoshi's Island) but it sure as hell provided better accroatics than the run and hope you remember the layout Rushs games.
I mean I did have some enjoyment over the Sonic Rushs games, but seriously it's not anywhere close to something like nsmb, your regular kirby or even Castlevania (any of them)
Agreeing to disagree sounds fair. Just to touch upon your post though, I enjoyed Kirby Canvas Curse and Castlevania DoS/OoE a lot more than NSMB, so I guess at least there's some relative consistencies between our opinions at least.

:lol

Also, I'm not really sure what NSMB's unique "spin" on the series was, besides a fugly graphical style and worse controls than the traditional sprite based Mario games. Even the new power ups were hopelessly uninspired and badly integrated to boot. Alright, I'll stop now before I digress any further. Scout's honor.

*holds up fingers*
osoul said:
On a side note, am I the only one, who thinks Giana Sisters DS is better than NSMB (DS)? It's simpler and easier, but it's far more attractive, and somewhat more faithful to the mario-esque platforming.
If it was more challenging and the enemies and environments were more varied I'd probably agree. As far as graphical charm it stomps NSMB though. The animation was fantastic. As far as Mario-esque platformers on DS in general I'd actually give the nod to Super Princess Peach. It wasn't that taxing, but if you go for all the extras it's probably roughly on par with NSMB's difficulty, and it's extremely content rich.

Mael

Sorry Gaf but I'm not going the xtra mile of finding out the how to get giana sisters

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Agreeing to disagree sounds fair. Just to touch upon your post though, I enjoyed Kirby Canvas Curse and Castlevania DoS/OoE a lot more than NSMB, so I guess at least there's some relative consistencies between our opinions at least.

:lol

well Canvas Curse might be the single best game I played on it, it's REALLY awesome and my fav kirby by far

GrotesqueBeauty said:
Also, I'm not really sure what NSMB's unique "spin" on the series was, besides a fugly graphical style and worse controls than the traditional sprite based Mario games. Even the new power ups were hopelessly uninspired and badly integrated to boot. Alright, I'll stop now before I digress any further. Scout's honor.

*holds up fingers*
Well I guess the walljump make up for that for me, I mean you can do some crazy stuff with that.
The powerups are mostly bland (mario 3/yoshi's island being the awesome exceptions) in mario games, at least they didn't go the easy way out and bring some stuff that is basically a free help for platforming (sml2, smw & nsmbw being gulty of this).
I mean I barely used the new powerup myself (I mean the giant is a nice novelty but quickly wears off, the midget champ is nice in a challenging sort of way and the blue shell is like as much as in mario kart
not at all
), still what the lvl design achieved more than make up for that.
There's plenty of lvls I replay on nsmb (well not anymore I'm too addicted to the mechanic of nsmbw so I keep shaking the ds -_-'), there's very few sidescrollers where I can say the same.
Sidenote : on that regard I'm totally unlike Amirox, gfx and artstyle are not factored at all in my enjoyment of the game, unless it breaks the game, I mean anything above serviceable is pretty much wasted on me

If it was more challenging and the enemies and environments were more varied I'd probably agree. As far as graphical charm it stomps NSMB though. The animation was fantastic. As far as Mario-esque platformers on DS in general I'd actually give the nod to Super Princess Peach. It wasn't that taxing, but if you go for all the extras it's probably roughly on par with NSMB's difficulty, and it's extremely content rich.

Again I don't see where Sonic Rush has charm and NSMB is bland, I mean Sonic Rush is bland environment with Sonic shitty friends on it. I think I'd prefer Sonic 3D artstyle to this one.
And nah as far Mario games go on DS it's Yoshi's Island DS all the way (despite the criminal music composition)

Top Bottom