• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NT Analogue announces Super NT

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date

rich!!

Neo Member
My SFC controller was dispatched from amazon.com yesterday but isn't expected to be delivered until the 14th, which will probably be about the same time my console reaches the UK.

You sure about that? I ordered my NT Mini from Analogue's website at just before midnight on Christmas day and it arrived at my house at lunchtime on 28th December via DHL:

zmN5Iwl.png

I fully expect my Super NT to arrive this Friday 9th Feb - if not, then at the very latest next Monday. They're using the same DHL Express shipping type for the Super NT as they did with my NT Mini, which means a two day service from the USA to the UK.

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I have to say, these have definitely got my attention thanks to all the images and clips that JP JP has been posting. It's a shame these have been out of stock for over a week.

I'm just hoping they eventually get put up for sale again.

JP

jshackles jshackles Good to hear, I'm never sure whether I'm posting too many images. I'm just really excited about it and want as many people as possible to get involved. :)

I'm pretty sure they will do another run to be honest. It's just that they have to be careful with things so they'll probably need to use the funds from the first batch to pay for the next run so it could take . nit of time before they're available. I'm sure somebody will post when they're back in stock on here, or in the OT if we have one. Maybe I'll do one if I get time this week.

I haven't watched this yet as it's a pretty lengthy so I can't comment on the content of the video but it was recorded in October so they may touch on some Super Nt details. If not, it could still be useful anyway.

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Had a chance to test the controller on my PC (wired, wireless using the included dongle, and bluetooth) and love it. Can't wait to use it on my Super NT once it arrives.

Side note: I've been watching Ebay for sales of the original Analogue NT. Someone sold one a few days ago brand new for about $850. A slightly used one sold for around $700 or so. They both had about 20 bids or so. Now, someone is selling a "First Edition" Analogue NT with a starting bid of $1,500. Funny thing is, they posted the original receipt showing that they only paid a little over $600 for it. That's ridiculous and I'd be surprised if anyone tries to purchase it.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Pre-ordered mine :D

coughlanio

Got the classic color, but I may change my mind later. Wish someone would post pics with the original controller plugged in

There's no way to change the color of your order without cancelling and reordering, so if it sells out for this round, you may be out of luck.

JP

Yeah, I'm not sure if it's still the same now but initially they wouldn't let you change or cancel your order due to the fact that they are made to order rather than them just making millions of them.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
There's no way to change the color of your order without cancelling and reordering, so if it sells out for this round, you may be out of luck.
Yeah, I was just thinking of cancelling and reordering.

dcx4610

I want one but $40 shipping is unacceptable. $189 is already a lot to pay and to ask for $40 more, I think I'm going to have to pass. $189 and free shipping or $10 shipping, sure. $40 is robbery.

JP

This is what I've been waiting for, a full scale technical analysis from My Life in Gaming.

Hopefully Digital Foundry won't be too far behind.

Most of the original pre-orders were dispatched yesterday

EDIT:
It seems pretty popular so far.

Last edited:

dcx4610

Caved and bought one. Not happy with the shipping cost but seems like all of their products are limited runs and don't want to miss out.

ilfait

I think the SFC colour scheme is my favourite, but it would have been a great touch if they had tastefully incorporated the trademark red/green/blue/yellow into the design, like the original console.

kalvinmaui1

Neo Member
Has anyone gotten any shipping confirmation yet?

I though they wrote they would ship on the 6th or 7th.

I never received any sort of email for tracking but I did check my original email confirmation for the order and I was able to click on the "See Status" link and saw it was shipped with tracking info.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
hmmm so 240 bucks in total inc shipping to europe.
it doesn't run 1:1 like legacy hardware. no build in analogue.
not really my thing yet :( sadly

ilfait

hmmm so 240 bucks in total inc shipping to europe.
it doesn't run 1:1 like legacy hardware. no build in analogue.
not really my thing yet :( sadly
This is what's stopped me from ordering, despite being really tempted. Also unsure whether the cart connector is as good as the original.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
This is what's stopped me from ordering, despite being really tempted. Also unsure whether the cart connector is as good as the original.
to correct myself it WILL get an extra cable in the future that will do that.
but it not running at the correct speed kinda ruins the whole point for me.
and the double/single buffer stuff is def no solution imo

ilfait

to correct myself it WILL get an extra cable in the future that will do that.
but it not running at the correct speed kinda ruins the whole point for me.
and the double/single buffer stuff is def no solution imo
I don't mind the fraction-of-a-percentage speed difference, and I do know about the optional near-future DAC, which is why I'm still interested, even though I'm waiting.

JP

Has anyone gotten any shipping confirmation yet?

I though they wrote they would ship on the 6th or 7th.
I've not received an email or text showing anything but I already have a UPS account and was signed into the App on my phone and it was added to that without me doing anything. I assume that it was added automatically due to it recognising where it's being sent to.

It was confusing at first because I also have a second 8bitdo controller on the way to me from amazon.com, which added itself to a different tracking app and initially I just assumed they were both tracking that as I'd not heard anything from Analogue.

Ignore the name, that's something I added to it but checking on Twitter this is the correct address that it should be coming from.

IMG_0238.png

If you've still not heard anything it may be worth you opening a free UPS account and downloading the app if you're able to.

When I click on the link in my order confirmation email, it just tells me this which hasn't changed since the day I ordered it.

Your order is confirmed
We've accepted your order, and we're getting it ready. Come back to this page for updates on your order status.

Last edited:
This is what I've been waiting for, a full scale technical analysis from My Life in Gaming.

Hopefully Digital Foundry won't be too far behind.

This was a fantastic review and it was great to hear from Kevtris himself in a nicely candid interview. MLG really out did themselves with that video. I'll definitely be grabbing one sooner rather than later. I really hope that those 8-bit cores get ported across and that other 16-bit systems are on the cards (either for the Super NT or new specific hardware).

Confirmed: Analogue have put out the best looking piece of gaming hardware this gen :D. That even out does the OG PS4 and Xbox One X for me. I now want need an Analogue Mega Nt and an Analogue Amiga Nt.

Last edited:

JP

Aaaannnd...they've gone again. The other three versions are still in stock, probably not a good idea to wait too long though.

For R Rimshot and anybody else who is still awaiting dispatch details.

Last edited:

JP

I received my shipment text an email a couple of hours ago. The email gave me the tracking reference that matches up with the one in the UPS app I mentioned yesterday so hopefully others will also have theirs by now.

How to install the latest firmware.

Last edited:

Alcahest

I can't fathom why super nes fans would play on anything that's not a.. super nes.
Besides the handy HDMI out, this is a glorified (not to say overhyped) emulator in a box.
It might be more accurate than an emu running on Windows, but the core is still an emulator, aiming to replicate all the original SNES chips on an FPGA.
The marketing aims to distance itself from emulation, which is a frankly a joke, by definition.
Also 8Bitdo screwed up the dpad (carbon traces) design, AGAIN, which make their pads pretty much useless for most platformers/action games that require accurate inputs (have fun trying to play Contra spirits with these and crouching all the time).
Except the HDMI part, I just don't get it.

ilfait

I can't fathom why super nes fans would play on anything that's not a.. super nes.
Besides the handy HDMI out, this is a glorified (not to say overhyped) emulator in a box.
It might be more accurate than an emu running on Windows, but the core is still an emulator, aiming to replicate all the original SNES chips on an FPGA.
The marketing aims to distance itself from emulation, which is a frankly a joke, by definition.
Also 8Bitdo screwed up the dpad (carbon traces) design, AGAIN, which make their pads pretty much useless for most platformers/action games that require accurate inputs (have fun trying to play Contra spirits with these and crouching all the time).
Except the HDMI part, I just don't get it.
For people who don't own, can't own, or don't want to own a CRT, the only other good alternative is OSSC + SNES, and the Super NT has some advantages over that combo.

And for people who may want something to use on both a CRT and a digital display, but don't want an OSSC, assuming that the optional attachment works the way they say it will, the Super NT can be a good solution for them as well.

As far as this vs. software emulation goes; software emulation for me is next to useless. I'll occasionally use it to try out a game or a hack, but I'd never actually use it to play through something. The Wii virtual console is the only time it's ever been close to acceptable for me, and even in that case I'd never choose it over real hardware or an FPGA.

Last edited:

JP

Alcahest Alcahest
To be fair, the controllers that you're talking about are purely optional. You can use any SNES/SFC controllers with it and any bluetooth controller with the optional Retro Receiver.

The alternative of doing the same thing with a Nintendo made console means that the prices works out as very similar even if you already own that console.

There are actually quite a few variations of SNES console chipsets, even with consoles that have the same shell, and games don't run identically on all of them so there isn't actually a "proper" SNES console out there. This is as genuine as any of the first party consoles even though it isn't made by Nintendo and this potentially allows you to switch between the first party variations of console.

A discussion about what is emulation and what isn't emulation is likely to be a never ending discussion but in the same manner I know that some people do consider all but the original Super Famicom chipset to be clones. This is as accurate as buying as any emulation system but you can also avoid the additional lag generated by using a frame buffer, if you want to.

This isn't for everybody but neither is what you're suggesting and neither option really needs to be.

Last edited:

_Justinian_

Gold Member
Did anyone else have issues with shipping? I received three emails with updates on shipping, but on the Analogue page it tells me that my package couldn't be delivered as planned (which was apparently today) without stating any reason and that they are going to try again on Monday. I've been home all day. No one came by that I know of. But tracking information tells me the last location of the package was in CA. I live in MD. *shrug*

JP

_Justinian_ _Justinian_ I had that too on the first day, mine had a failed delivery even though it was in a different continent to me as I'm in the UK. Analogue are saying that the courier has had issues but it seems more accurate to say that there has been some sort of disconnect between the courier and Analogue so information is off the mark.

I just checked with the courier now and it seems to be accurate.

EDIT:
When I click on the email now it's completely up to date, mine is less than 200km away from me but it still gives me a "expected before the end of 14th February". I think I would probably die of excitement if it turned up today.

Last edited:

JP

Not actually watched it yet, going to make a cup of tea before I pushed play.

I'm also posting this again simply because if people are wanting info on the best way to set theirs up, these two will likely be the best videos to explain the technical side of things.

Not actually watched it yet, going to make a cup of tea before I pushed play.

I'm also posting this again simply because if people are wanting info on the best way to set theirs up, these two will likely be the best videos to explain the technical side of things.

You're on the ball JP JP ! I came in this thread to post exactly this.

I know what I'm watching whilst eating my dinner tonight :). DF Retro ftw.

Last edited:

JP

Ha, I was online doing something and I get notifications for both those channels whenever they release a new video. :)

I have watched it now and it's definitely worth watching. It seems that both teams were invited to visit kevtris at the same time late last year so got to talk about his work on the system, I'm hoping that they'll both cover this visit in more detail at a later date.

dolabla

JP JP

Have there been any known hardware issues with review units? Like maybe certain games being hard to read, etc?

Reason why I ask is because I bought the RetroUSB AVS at launch and there were issues with the micro USB port breaking, it wouldn't read certain games (the green strip NES carts) because he used the wrong pin connector, etc.

All those problems did eventually get fixed in the newer batches. Launch users like myself could replace their pin connectors (which eventually came a few months ago) and the micro USB problem required some modding or to wait for 3D printed brace (which still has not come) to hold to micro USB port in place.

What I'm trying to say, I want to pre-order this really bad :), but I'm a little hesitant because of the experience I had above. I know it's a different company. I've never owned an Analogue product before. The urge to pre-order this thing is through the roof.

JP

dolabla dolabla
Not that I'm aware of. Some of the more technically based sites have had theirs for a month and a half and I can't remember anything but positivity with the hardware. I'd imagine there would be the occasional issue here and there over the next few weeks or so but so far it does look like nobody has discovered any systemic issues.

I've only really been aware with the occasional game having issues but that is pretty rare and they seem to be remedied a day or two after reporting the issues. Or even quicker on occasion, it seems. :)

I've time-stamped this (15.14) to show the tiny issue that this new firmware fixes. It's a very small issue but it's obviously better fixed than not fixed.

Although I didn't own a RetroUSB AVS there does appear to be a world of difference in terms of build quality between what RetroUSB and Analogue are doing in terms of industrial design. I know they're both plastic but there has been a lot of comments on how good the Super Nt feels in the hands, it feels very expensive in the way that the Nt Mini, obviously without the really expensive aluminium shell.

dolabla

Thanks for the response JP JP .

That vid of the glitch definitely would not bother me. Very minor like you said and it can probably be fixed through update. As long as it doesn't just flat out not read a cart because of the actual hardware (like the AVS did with the wrong pin connector; though it was fixed).

I will probably end up caving since this looks like pure awesomeness. I don't think I can resist.

I do hope one day Analogue will release a cheaper version of their NT Mini. I would really like to own one since it does seem to do more than the AVS. Although the AVS does have the advantage since it uses real NES Power/Reset buttons, ha.

Evenball

Jack Flack always escapes!
I received mine on Friday. Despite being plastic, it has a lot of weight to it and the rubber bottom keeps it from sliding off your table (which I wish the SNES mini had). Like the videos say, it's extremely compatible with everything I've thrown at it and everything looks and sounds great.

nightmarcher26

Neo Member
It is a true shame that light-gun games are unplayable on modern displays. Metal Combat: Falcon's Revenge is the Super Nintendo's greatest unsung accomplishment. Its concept, gameplay, graphics, and sound made for an experience that was years ahead of its time. The sound effects, in particular, were the best on the Super Nintendo.

Top Bottom