• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NT Analogue announces Super NT

• Thread starter Deleted member 20415
  • Start date

JP

Koala Driving a Ferrari Koala Driving a Ferrari
I really like that version too. :)

I don't know if you followed the previous console they made but there are some pretty detailed videos explaining the technicalities of the machine and how it's better than other solutions. I didn't get one of those due to them being almost $500 but not long after launch firmware was released to support about 20 other consoles via the SD card and although it was unofficial, it was developed by kevtris who worked on the actual console and it didn't void the warranty.

None of that was announced before release though but it came pretty quickly with around a console core a week being released.

I really hope now that the NES version is out of production that they'll also release the NES core for this as well as other cores that it's powerful enough to run. Interestingly, kevtris has been working on cartridge adapters so that people are able to use cartridges from other consoles on his machines.

They were apparently really good with customer support too in that if somebody reported an issue with a certain game on it, more often than not it would be fixed by the next day.

Koala Driving a Ferrari Koala Driving a Ferrari I've just been looking at my orders and it's actually the Japanese/European Famicom/SNES colours that I'd actually ordered. Took me ages to decide which one I wanted and forgot that I'd gone for that version.

It's probably worth mentioning that if you do decide to pre-order one they don't accept cancellations as they use a "build to order" system rather them making millions and hoping that people will buy them.

Last edited:

JP

Some of these are out with reviewers now according to Twitter, the first shipments for most of us will be going out on the 7th February which is the same time that reviews will start hitting.

Removed images and embedded Tweets instead, now that we can.

Last edited:

JP

Tarin02543 Tarin02543
I wouldn't read too much into it, that's a pretty normal thing from GameSack. They seem to have this constant back and forth as one of them is really into Sega games and the other is really into Nintendo games.

Some of these are out with reviewers now according to Twitter, the first shipments for most of us will be going out on the 7th February which is the same time that reviews will start hitting.

@JeffGrub
DUa69AhU0AAKwkm.jpg

DUa6_auUQAASIgN.jpg

DUa7AXsUQAA92bQ.jpg

Okay, I need one of these. That's one attractive piece of hardware. Are the Kevtris updates for additional console support pretty much a sure thing?

JP

For anybody buying one of these I'd only really recommend it if you're happy buying one as is advertised and just see anything else that hasn't been advertised as a bonus.

I think most people would be surprised if the 8 bit console cores that already existed on the Analogue Nt mini didn't make it over at some point but there is also the chance that they may at some point be making a physical console for one of those particular cores, of so they may decide not to support that particular console on this.

The 8 bit cores are something that kevtris has been working on for years in some cases so they don't just appear instantly. Since he's involved intimately in the development of this hardware and the previous version it is of course possible that he has 16 bit cores on the go for some time also but he's talking about that right now.

it sounds like that once the Super Nt is released and the reviews start hitting that you're not going to be able to resist buying one anyway but I wouldn't really recommend that anybody buys it for what it could be rather than what it is. I'm happy with what it is but obviously the more they add, the better.

mrbogus

Neo Member
I'm thinking the 8-bit cores won't make it over to the Super NT since its a cheaper system. Kevtris probably wanted to add a bit of extra value for the price of the NT Mini. I could be wrong though.

We'll probably just see a SNES ROM jailbreak. Kevtris has already stated he doesn't have any other 16-bit cores created at this point, but maybe in the future a Turbografx/PC-Engine one will be done since he has the 6502 CPU worked out already.

JP

It genuinely feels like I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't have one of these yet. :(

Also, the transparent version went out of stock nearly a week ago and still shows as out of stock. I don't that means it's gone permanently though, I'd assume they'd do another un of them once the launch models are out of the way.

Last edited:
It genuinely feels like I'm the only person on the planet who doesn't have one of these yet. :(

Also, the transparent version went out of stock nearly a week ago and still shows as out of stock. I don't that means it's gone permanently though, I'd assume they'd do another un of them once the launch models are out of the way.

Hype! I'm envious that you have one ordered and that its on its way to you mate. What SNES carts are you planning to play first?

It's good to know that My Life in Gaming have their review unit too. I love their YouTube content. I'm looking forward to their video on it.

JP

Not sure yet, Super Mario World 2 - Yoshi's Island may well be the first. I love the game but it's also a technical power house so it could be a good test game to try.

Maybe I'll try one of the two games you get with it first, they aren't my favourite games but I do like the Super Turrican games and I'm far more excited to try the previously unreleased Super Turrican - Director's Cut than I was to try Star Fox 2 on Nintendo's SNES mini.

I'll more than likely just messing around with settings, that's often my way with new stuff. :)

I'm glad I ended up going for this version, it looks so good in photos.

Some very short videos from from Analogue. I don't really like to multi post but there are loads of them.

Actually, I'll spread them out throughout the day to break them up a bit.

Last edited:

ilfait

The My Life in Gaming and DF reviews should be fun to see. I don't have one preordered, but since that digital to analogue adapter announcement I've been pretty interested.

JP

I would hope that it's not a permanent thing for the people who want them but both the Transparent and Famicom versions are now showing as out of stock now.

Last edited:

JP

_Justinian_ _Justinian_
The black one was my second choice after the Super Famicom colours.

There really shouldn't be any issues with that, it should support all official consoles but obviously they aren't so I can't imagine they'll promise anything.

If this is anything like the Nt mini, it won't actually need to as ROM support will hopefully be added pretty quickly. There would likely be limits with that for games that contain tej higher end chips, such as Super FX but that's the same with the carts that you mention anyway.

Radical Reggie (YouTube personality, Metal Jesus fame) put together a great list of SNES games that are worth checking out. If you're lucky enough to have a Super NT on the way, it's worth a watch:

Last edited:

ilfait

Early impressions from MLiG's stream, via an AtariAge forum user:

"Quick summary of MLiG livestream for those that don't want to sit through two hours of video: The Super Nt is pretty much perfect. They found some minor graphical and sound bugs which Kevtris quickly fixed. They currently only know of one very minor graphical glitch that hasn't been fixed yet, which is in the Japanese only release Marvelous: Mouhitotsu no Takarajima. It's an SA1 chip game that Kevtris doesn't own, so somebody needs to get him a copy

Also, they said the build quality is fantastic and that their review would be coming out on Feb 7th."

JP

There was a few gams that used the SA1 chip although they only mention the one in that quote, and it seems to be a minor issue, I wonder if games the other games that use it are OK? I think most of them were smaller Japanese only games although there are games like Super Mario RPG and a couple of the Kirby games that used it but it's seems unlikely that kevtris wouldn't have had access to those carts.

Looking forward to the 7th when all the reviews will start hitting.

ilfait

There was a few gams that used the SA1 chip although they only mention the one in that quote, and it seems to be a minor issue, I wonder if games the other games that use it are OK?
I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would be shocked if any compatibility issue with games that anyone reports isn't fixed by Kevtris. He seems to be a perfectionist when it comes that. I think that he reverse engineers these consoles out of intense intellectual curiosity more than anything else, so it would matter to him even if some obscure bad game were to have an issue.

Last edited:

JP

Oh yeah, I'm really not. They have a really good record with patches happening the same day as they're reported most of the time, and as your quote explains it's only happened because he doesn't actually own that cartridge.

I'm sure one of his friends on AtariAge or wherever will sort that out for him.

JP

Actually, I may as well post the last videos too as there will probably be more a lot more media out when we reach the 7th February.

Done, finally!!

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
Are they gonna have more preorders for the original/transparent colors or should I preorder the black one if I want one?

JP

I'm not sure if they've confirmed anything either way yet, they probably want to get the launch out of the way before they commit to anything else. Also, them confirming it now could slow down launch sales which they probably don't won't.

It seems to have been a really popular machine so I'd be surprised if they didn't produce more but there may be a bit of a wait if they do that.

Speedwagon

Michelangelo painted the Sistine Chapel. Yabuki turned off voice chat in Mario Kart races. True artists of their time.
I guess I can wait and order the second batch then.

Edit: I wish this was 4K though lol

Last edited:
I don't know, but I wouldn't worry about it. I would be shocked if any compatibility issue with games that anyone reports isn't fixed by Kevtris. He seems to be a perfectionist when it comes that. I think that he reverse engineers these consoles out of intense intellectual curiosity more than anything else, so it would matter to him even if some obscure bad game were to have an issue.

That was my summary... Here's Kevtris' response to that comment:

"Yeah the MLIG guys have been great during the whole testing phase, I am happy they got to do it. They found some really esoteric things I would've never caught. The final graphic issue is the high rez + colour math mode, and the main reason I couldn't fix it before is I simply could not see what the actual hardware did on my 8" PVM since it was too small. I have broken out the 21" PVM though so I can see it, and will write a test ROM that exercises all the registers on one screen using a bunch of HDMA fun to show it all at once. I am very curious too if emulators are accurate to hardware behavior here, since this part of the hardware is pretty much totally undocumented. What little documentation exists made literally no sense.

After this is all over I am going to release my "findings" document with all sorts of fine SNES detail that I figured out over the course of the project."

So bottom line, yes, it will be fixed.

JP

S Speedwagon
Obviously do what you feel is best for you but please don't take what I say as fact. I'd hope that they'd release more but I don't know that they will and I'd hate for somebody to miss out based on a guess by me.

Speedwagon

S Speedwagon
Obviously do what you feel is best for you but please don't take what I say as fact. I'd hope that they'd release more but I don't know that they will and I'd hate for somebody to miss out based on a guess by me.

Well, it's too late now since they already sold out of the black :p
I read on their twitter that they are trying to keep up with demand, so I think they will produce more

JP

S Speedwagon
Wow, they're actually all out of stock now and we're still a week from launch. It makes sense to me that they will, the price is probably far more justifiable for more people than the Nt mini price ever was. Hopefully it won't take them too long to order another run of them.

EDIT:

It actually looks really good in black.

Last edited:
Mmmm, it's a thing of beauty.

rJpIoXu.gif

So good. It's very cool that the the controllers are colour matched to the different variations of the Super NT. When I order mine, I'll definitely be going for the PAL SNES style one though as I want the traditional candy coloured buttons.

JP

I'm still not keen on the transparent although sometimes you really need to see them in the flesh to be able to judge.

In relation to the Tweets above from Cory Schmitz, it seems that he's the graphic designer that worked on the project and they apparently sent him one of each colour along with controllers for each of them!! He has confirmed that you can customise the colour of the LED but he hasn't found any way to switch it off yet.

I'm still not keen on the transparent although sometimes you really need to see them in the flesh to be able to judge.

In relation to the Tweets above from Cory Schmitz, it seems that he's the graphic designer that worked on the project and they apparently sent him one of each colour along with controllers for each of them!! He has confirmed that you can customise the colour of the LED but he hasn't found any way to switch it off yet.

To quote kevtris: "It can't... directly. however you can make/load a custom LED pattern and set it to anything you like from off to darker or whatever. For solid black just make a file that's 768 bytes long, full of 0's. The file format is just RGBRGBRGB byte triples and you can force it to display one of the RGB entries specifically, or cycle through them. This is true for the nt mini, as well. The patterns on that work on this."

JP

My SFC controller was dispatched from amazon.com yesterday but isn't expected to be delivered until the 14th, which will probably be about the same time my console reaches the UK.

Latest update from kevtris: "re: LED brightness. I have added it as an option now, so you can set it from off to full on in 32 steps. This allows one to select any LED brightness they like."

Top Bottom