• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NUCXI5/I7 Thin gaming PCsole releasing end of Sept 2022 (Starting at $859, RTX 3060 & 3070 options, 16GB or 32GB RAM choice, 512/1TB SSD)

lighter

lighter

lighter

Specs​

Config 1 $979($859 if you pre-order)
  • i5-11400H+Nvidia 3060 (6GB GDDR6)
  • No OS, free to install what you want

Config 2 $1,129($979 if you pre-order)
  • I5+Nvidia 3060 (6GB GDDR6)
  • 512GB SSD
  • 16GB of RAM
  • Windows 11

Config 3 $1,249($1,099 if you pre-order)
  • I5+Nvidia 3060 (6GB GDDR6)
  • 1TB SSD
  • 32GB of RAM
  • Windows 11

Premium Config 1 $1,189($1,029 if you pre-order)
  • i7-11800H+Nvidia 3070 (8GB GDDR6)
  • No OS, free to install what you want

Premium Config 2 $1,339($1,169 if you pre-order)
  • I7+Nvidia 3070 (8GB GDDR6)
  • 512GB SSD
  • 16GB of RAM
  • Windows 11

Premium Config 3 $1,469($1,279 if you pre-order)
  • i7+Nvidia 3070 (8GB GDDR6)
  • 1TB SSD
  • 32GB of RAM
  • Windows 11

Common Specs (for all configurations)​

Memory
DDR4 8GB×2 Dual channel (SODIMM Slots×2, up to 64GB)
Storage
M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe SSD(up to 2TB)
Storage Expansion
M.2 2280 SSD Slot (Support NGFF SATA or NVMe PCIe4.0)
Wireless Connectivity
M.2 2230 WIFI Support (Dual-Band Wi-Fi,BlueTooth)
Ethernet
2500Mbps LAN
Video Output
① HDMI 2.1 (8K@60Hz) ×1
② Thunderbolt 4 (8K@60Hz) ×1
Audio Output
HDMI ×1, Thunderbolt 4 ×1, Headphone Jack x1
Ports & Buttons
1 * RJ45 2.5 Gigabit Ethernet Port
1 * HDMI 2.1 ( Support 8K )
1 * Thunderbolt 4 ( Support 8K )
3 * USB 3.2 Type-A
1 * Headphone Jack
Power
19.5V(Adapter Included)
System
Windows 11 Pro

Features​

Dual 8K Displays

NUCX series come with excellent dual display solutions with HDMI 2.1(8K@60Hz) and Thunderbolt 4 (8K@60Hz).​

NVIDIA GeForce RTX

The GeForce RTX 3000 graphics cards are powered by Ampere—NVIDIA’s 2nd gen RTX architecture. Get incredible performance with enhanced Ray Tracing Cores and Tensor Cores, new streaming multiprocessors, and high-speed G6 memory.

Multiple Application Options

NUCX series are ideal helper which can be widely used for home theater, office work, meeting, education, projector monitoring, host, printer, media equipment, router, etc.

Upgrade-Friendly

Dual-channel DDR4 which supports up to 64GB
M.2 2280 PCle SSD x 1
M.2 2280 SSD Slot (Support NGFF SATA or NVMe PCIe4.0) x 1

Link to Minisforum site, get a discount if you order before the end of September as shown in the pricing above, additional configuration choices are on the store page https://store.minisforum.com/products/minisforum-nucxi5-nucxi7?variant=43044973248757 it will also be sold at some point this year at additional retailers although no date has been given as of yet.

<>

So Gaf, interested in getting this upgrade friendly gaming PC that can substitute a console on your TV? This one sees to be the best of the bunch so far I'll give it that. Assuming you choose the better configurations that is, I think price is still an issue here but maybe it's not for you.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
wont there have any heat issues based on the size of the console? unless the 3060 is a mobile one?

Lasha

The NUC Hades was pretty neat for its time. I am a huge fan of the NUC form factor because it provides an excellent balance between power and size. The NUCX looks great. I would buy one if I were in the market for a HTPC.

Wow, wouldn't the top end one beat a ps5 and xbox or is that a mobile 3070...I guess it is.
Also as DenchDeckard DenchDeckard says, these are probably the mobile configs.

Same amount of 3060 configs as the 3070 one.

They posted this on their site:

lighter

So it might not be the mobile ones.

They seem to have a heat solution

lighter

So I don't think it's the netbook one, I think it's the real thing.

After the Alienware X51 I swore I would never buy another PC with an external powersupply.
But this thing raises one of my eyebrows.

After the Alienware X51 I swore I would never buy another PC with an external powersupply.
But this thing raises one of my eyebrows.

If you don't mind the prices it seems to be the best of them so far, better than the Lenovo and MSi stuff where you have integrated graphics for $1700.

Fbh

Seems pretty good as an alternative to a console.
Would look better without the edgy skull though

These will replace consoles as we know them one day.

Its what our consoles basically are.

To bad it will probably take another decade.

The only problem with these is price.
Console manufacturers can afford to sell their system for little to no profit because the actual business is getting people into their closed ecosystem and making money through software and services.

These types of products though have to make money so they'll never have a competitive price. The only company invested in Windows is Microsoft but since it's an open platform they can´t control it as much as Xbox and since Windows doesn't really have a competitor in the gaming space they have no reason to push cheap PC hardware.

Last edited:

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
Seems pretty good as an alternative to a console.
Would look better without the edgy skull though

Console manufacturers can afford to sell their system for little to no profit because the actual business is getting people into their closed ecosystem and making money through software and services.

These types of products though have to make money so they'll never have a competitive price. The only company invested in Windows is Microsoft but since it's an open platform they can´t control it as much as Xbox and since Windows doesn't really have a competitor in the gaming space they have no reason to push cheap PC hardware.
I predict The model will still be subsidised the only difference is they wont have a custom OS.
And even if they are more expensive there wont be a need to buy multiple systems. Microsoft will strike first with this strategy, when the Xsx was first announced I actually thought they were implementing this strategy, basically the idea of steambox.

I predict The model will still be subsidised the only difference is they wont have a custom OS.
And even if they are more expensive there wont be a need to buy multiple systems. Microsoft will strike first with this strategy, when the Xsx was first announced I actually thought they were implementing this strategy, basically the idea of steambox.

You thought MS was going to release an upgradable Xbox? Lol

No a custom PC, and call it an XBox and run a Xbox mode.
Basically like the steambox idea.

I wasn't the only one, loads of people thought it was a PC.

Xbox isn't going to sacrifice security and retail partnership, along with an increase piracy risk when they can just have a powerful closed platform they can sell for 5 years.

Sosokrates

Xbox isn't going to sacrifice security and retail partnership, along with an increase piracy risk when they can just have a powerful closed platform they can sell for 5 years.

I think one day these issues will be solved.
There will still be retail partnerships, they will still sell Xbox's like they sell surface devices.

Apocryphon

It's a laptop without a display and you can get laptops with faster CPUs and 240/360hz displays from Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI for not much more money than the premium configs here. It's certainly better than most of the small form factor PCs we've been seeing, but is it actually money well spent?

I'll probably wait for Alienware to rejoin this race. I loved my X51.

Stamps1646

Wow, wouldn't the top end one beat a ps5 and xbox or is that a mobile 3070...I guess it is.
PS5/XSX are the equivalent of a 2060/2070. The 3070 would be more powerful.
It's not a mobile 3070 or it would specified, it's stripped of it's standard design to fit in a slim chassis.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

So... Charging the price of a laptop with a 3070 minus the screen / battery / portability of a laptop.

Yup.. not a scam at all.. because it seems it's hard to plug a laptop to your TV and use a 10$ wireless keyboard with a track pad from Logitech .....

The scamming never ends with companies these days. Let's just paint it white with a skull... Woo must be bad ass

It's not bad but since they're using mobile parts, I wonder what the power limits are. Tiger Lake is pretty good so long as the limits are high. Premium config 1 looks to be the best choice. Overall seems good for price-to-performance.

Not that I'm thinking of buying one! I'd probably just go for a gaming laptop for the additional portability tbh, if I had no other computers

So... Charging the price of a laptop with a 3070 minus the screen / battery / portability of a laptop.

Yup.. not a scam at all.. because it seems it's hard to plug a laptop to your TV and use a 10$ wireless keyboard with a track pad from Logitech .....

The scamming never ends with companies these days. Let's just paint it white with a skull... Woo must be bad ass

I don't think it's that bad, idk how US pricing compares to UK though so maybe I'm wrong. They definitely are trying to get rid of stock here though... Tiger Lake is old news and Ampere is going to depreciate massively when RTX 4000 comes out...

Last edited:
I think one day these issues will be solved.
There will still be retail partnerships, they will still sell Xbox's like they sell surface devices.

hey don't sell Surface devices the same way they sell game Consoles. Not to mention that Surface Devices are a complete product by itself, while the Xbox Series X is not as you need to supplement the purchase with games and other things like accessories, storage and the like.

It's a laptop without a display and you can get laptops with faster CPUs and 240/360hz displays from Gigabyte, Asus, and MSI

What MSI gives you better specs for a cheaper price? Also the laptops don't have a real 3060 or 3070 in it, this does. It has cooling specifically for them, where as on a laptop you will have to use the mobile versions of the device due to lack of cooling.

PS5/XSX are the equivalent of a 2060/2070. The 3070 would be more powerful.
It's not a mobile 3070 or it would specified, it's stripped of it's standard design to fit in a slim chassis.

XSX is actually between a 3060 and a 2070 Super. I would assume a pro mobile, which I don't think will happen but is possible, would be in-between a 3060 and 3070.

Apocryphon

hey don't sell Surface devices the same way they sell game Consoles. Not to mention that Surface Devices are a complete product by itself, while the Xbox Series X is not as you need to supplement the purchase with games and other things like accessories, storage and the like.

What MSI gives you better specs for a cheaper price? Also the laptops don't have a real 3060 or 3070 in it, this does. It has cooling specifically for them, where as on a laptop you will have to use the mobile versions of the device due to lack of cooling.

XSX is actually between a 3060 and a 2070 Super. I would assume a pro mobile, which I don't think will happen but is possible, would be in-between a 3060 and 3070.
Z5g49dH.jpg

As if it wasn't already painfully obvious due to them using mobile processors and dual-channel RAM, they confirm in the page you liked to in the OP that is the mobile GPU chipsets.

I can't understand how you didn't immediately realize given the form factor 😂

Cool that this exists but I would prefer some space to fuck around with for cooling and replacing things. Imagine trying to replace the PSU in one of these.
This is for the base level console user who doesn't want to bother with those things.

This is why I'm hoping long term that Valve keeps iterating on the Steam Deck and that eventually Epic steps in as competition.

As if it wasn't already painfully obvious due to them using mobile processors and dual-channel RAM, they confirm in the page you liked to in the OP that is the mobile GPU chipsets.

I can't understand how you didn't immediately realize given the form factor 😂

I don't trust this... Chong Chen, sounds fake. lol. They were replying to Ken CCF, what's that? Communist Console Forces? You console gamers always trying to knock the PC down, the underdog.

Lol ok it's the mobile one. Still decent specs.

A system that is more than twice as expensive as consoles isn't going to replace consoles.

Correct.

Kilau

Gold Member
These look really I nice even if they are essentially just custom cases for notebook motherboards. The prices aren't bad for what you are getting.

Same amount of 3060 configs as the 3070 one.

They posted this on their site:

lighter

So it might not be the mobile ones.

They seem to have a heat solution

So I don't think it's the netbook one, I think it's the real thing.

Those scores are not good though, they must be throttling the chips a lot to keep the thermals in line.

My notebook for example with a 3070 and 5900HX CPU scores over 10k on Time Spy.

Sosokrates

Who said they could not still be subsidised?

lukilladog

I don´t think you can upgrade the gpu on these, and there are already a few games that need more than 6gb if you want max textures (Forza Horizon 5, Deathloop, Doom Eternal, and maybe some more).

Last edited:

Apocryphon

I don't trust this... Chong Chen, sounds fake. lol. They were replying to Ken CCF, what's that? Communist Console Forces? You console gamers always trying to knock the PC down, the underdog.

Lol ok it's the mobile one. Still decent specs.

Correct.
I laughed at this far harder than I should have 😂

all the cost of a gaming pc with none of the ability to upgrade it

sounds perfect
No it's fine, every new console generation you point an extra box fan at the back so it thermal throttles less. Easy upgrade! Very good value!
BUT... do those have a cool SKULL logo ?
Dude I love the skull. I love being reminded of death. Wouldn't want it to be anything cringey like an anime babe on the side... that definitely wouldn't sell absolute gangbusters like a skull presumably does.

coffinbirth

Cool that this exists but I would prefer some space to fuck around with for cooling and replacing things. Imagine trying to replace the PSU in one of these.
Yeah, those external power supplies are a real chore to swap out from what I understand. I didn't graduate from M.I.T. though, so I'm probably not qualified to make such an assessment.

In all seriousness, you don't buy something like this for customization or modularity, it's a laptop mobo in a slim case for suckers.

Top Bottom