• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of AAA traditional handheld games vs number of AAA mobile games of 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.
Edit: Instead of AAA, I guess I meant Quality games. If a mod can edit the title that would be great.

Edit 2: I will only add games that are definitely scheduled for 2012. So, even though games like New Super Mario 3DS are suppose to come out this year, I won't add it until more info is available.

So, some people always say traditional handhelds are great because they have the best number of games. My question is that really true? So, I want this thread to compare the upcoming/released 2012 legitimately good games on each platform. So, no mediocre games count. Just good games on each platform.

So, this thread will probably be alive throughout the year because not all the games of 2012 have been announced. But let us at least start with the ones that have been released or will be released in 2012.

This will help show whether mobile gaming really does rival traditional gaming.

I will update the OP as suggestions are posted.

Best upcoming/released 3DS games of 2012:

Luigi's Mansion 2

-32728-photo-crop-p1f97dfa5c33588a99b1c5d2cafb781fd-luigi-s-mansion-2.jpg

Kingdom Hearts Dream Drop Distance

Kingdom-Hearts-3D-Dream-Drop-Distance_2011_12-27-11_026.jpg

Rayman Origins

rayman_origins.jpg

Kid Icarus: Uprising

176538-pit.jpg

Fire Emblem: Kakusei

fire_emblem_Kakusei.jpg

Phoenix Wright vs Layton

Wright32.jpg

Monster Hunter 4

Monster-Hunter-4-Logo1-620x325.jpg

Paper Mario

papermario3d.png

Fantasy Life

Screen-shot-2010-12-06-at-11.29.01.png

Time Travelers

TimeTravellers_1.jpg

Best upcoming/released iOS games of 2012:

Ghost Trick

ghosttrick21.jpg

Eufloria

Eufloria-thumb.jpg

Beat Sneak Bandit

BSB_iPhone4_Screen.jpg

Reckless Racing 2

reckless-racing.jpg

Ace Attorney 1/2/3 HD

Ace-Attorney-500x300.jpg

Paper Monsters

img_15527_paper-monster-ios-app-review-for-iphone-ipod-touch-and-ipad.jpg

Puzzlejuice

puzzlejuice.jpg

Soul Calibur

gaming_soulcal_ios_2.jpg

JAZZ Trump's Journey

jazz-trump2.jpg

Best upcoming/released Vita games of 2012:

Gravity Rush

2012-gravityrush.jpg

Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational

028A016D04512372-c2-photo-oYToxOntzOjE6InciO2k6NjUwO30%3D-hot-shots-golf.jpg

Rayman Origins

rayman610.jpg

Wipeout 2048

wipeout2048.jpg

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

uncharted-golden-abyss-playstation-vita-1307434084-015.jpg

MotorStorm RC

motorstormrc.jpg

LittleBigPlanet Vita

5807801792_08ec42ebd4.jpg

Metal Gear Solid HD Collection

Metal-Gear-Solid-HD-Collection-Limited-Edition-30-09-11-004.jpg

Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3

14_umvc3vita03.jpg

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus

Ninja-Gaiden-Sigma-Plus-Coming-to-PS-Vita-Next-February.jpg

Fifa Soccer

fifa-12-ps-vita.jpg

ModNation Racers: Road Trip

6537382029_0f084c5fc3_z.jpg

Unit 13

6539016683_c9f8a55ce2_z.jpg

Pranay

Going by the OP I guess these are valid ;) imo

Edit
Updated -

02/22 – FIFA Soccer (Vita)
02/22 – Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
02/22 – ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
02/22 – MotorStorm RC (Vita)
02/22 – Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita)
02/22 – Rayman Origins (Vita)
02/22 – Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (Vita)
02/22 – Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
02/22 – WipEout 2048 (Vita)
03/06 – Unit 13 (Vita)
Q1 2012 – Gravity Rush (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Assassin's Creed Vita (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Bioshock Vita (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Dust 514 (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Final Fantasy X (PS3, Vita)
TBA 2012 – LittleBigPlanet Vita (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Mortal Kombat (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Resistance: Burning Skies (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Street Fighter x Tekken (Vita)

TedNindo

There aren't any on phones... sure there are games with amazing graphics like Infinity Blade or Shadowgun. But the gameplay and production value besides the graphics are nowhere near AAA. And the most fun games on phones are low budget indy games.

Thoraxes

Going by the OP I guess these are valid ;) imo

02/22 – BlazBlue: Continuum Shift II Extend (Vita)
02/22 – Escape Plan (Vita)
02/22 – F1 2011 (Vita)
02/22 – FIFA Soccer (Vita)
02/22 – Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational (Vita)
02/22 – Little Deviants (Vita)
02/22 – ModNation Racers: Road Trip (Vita)
02/22 – MotorStorm RC (Vita)
02/22 – Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus (Vita)
02/22 – Rayman Origins (Vita)
02/22 – Super Stardust Delta (Vita)
02/22 – Ultimate Marvel Vs Capcom 3 (Vita)
02/22 – Uncharted: Golden Abyss (Vita)
02/22 – Virtua Tennis 4: World Tour Edition (Vita)
02/22 – WipEout 2048 (Vita)
03/06 – Unit 13 (Vita)
Q1 2012 – Disgaea 3: Absence of Detention (Vita)
Q1 2012 – Gravity Rush (Vita)
Q1 2012 – Ridge Racer (Vita)
Q1 2012 – Silent Hill: Book of Memories (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Assassin's Creed Vita (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Bioshock Vita (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Dust 514 (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Final Fantasy X (PS3, Vita)
TBA 2012 – LittleBigPlanet Vita (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Metal Gear Solid HD Collection (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Mortal Kombat (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Oddworld: Stranger's Wrath HD (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Ragnarok Odyssey (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Resistance: Burning Skies (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Street Fighter x Tekken (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Tales of Innocence R (Vita)
TBA 2012 – Zone of the Enders HD Collection (Vita)
The OP said excellent games.

Derrick01

Banned
The OP said excellent games.

Yeah and he's going to have to make some better rules otherwise you're going to get a thousand of those lists.

And they'll be counter-replied with people like me saying BlazBlue and F1 are not AAA on any platform.

I always thought the "AAA" nomenclature was used to represent the size of a game's budget or the amount of money and effort put into marketing. It has nothing to do with actual quality. It's a more objective standard than simply asking for "excellent games," which is an entirely subjective measure. The way OP has presented it, we're going to have a topic filled with lists that don't really help us draw any sort of reliable conclusions unless you want recommendation for good portable games, but that doesn't seem to be what OP intends.

also

Banned
3DS:
Almost certainly ''AAA''
-New 2D Mario
-Luigi's Mansion 2
-Kingdom hearts DDD

Questionable quality
-Bravely default: Flying Fairy
-Kid Icarus

Uncertain release date/localization
-Professor Layton Vs. Ace Attorney
-Ace Attorney 5 (platform(s) not confirmed)
-New Layton game
-Paper Mario
-Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die

Vita
-Extreme Escape Adventure: Good People Die (not sure about the localization)
-FF X ''remake'' (not sure about the release date, probably won't make it in 2012)
-Gravity Rush
-Uncharted Golden Abyss

Derrick01

Banned
By AAA I don't mean by cost, but judged on how great the game is. Read the OP.

You're just going to get a bunch of lists with largely mediocre games in them then because people are just going to list what they're personally looking forward to. There's not going to be any structure or order to this.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I always thought the "AAA" nomenclature was used to represent the size of a game's budget or the amount of money and effort put into marketing.
It is. The OP is using an established term to mean something else. It's confusing and dumb.

The whole idea about judging quality of games before they are out is ludicrous and can't be argued as it's completely subjective.
When I read the thread title I assumed he meant the industry accepted usage of "AAA" and therefor the lists could be objectively created, as money is not debatable.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Even traditional handhelds haven't many triple A games - you really think you will find many for smartphones ? Just being a funny entertaining game doesn't mean it's AAA. Triple A mean big budget, backed by a big publisher and mainstream appeal.

3DS has three Triple A games with Mario, Revelations and Mario Kart 7. I don't count ports or remakes as such.

Foffy

Banned
Wouldn't it have been better to take a look at the AAA games of 2011? Making a judgment about a year where the games aren't out yet to see if they fit the bill is unfair.

Then again, perhaps it would be unfair to to consider the mobile platforms against the Vita and 3DS for 2011, as those two platforms aren't even a year old yet.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I would add Android with the iOS category.

And mobile is an interesting category because some games are starting to come out that are designed to take advantage of tablet real estate if available. So is that really a mobile game? I know the tablet is mobile, but so is a laptop.

Can a Mod edit the title to say:

Quality instead of AAA?

Wouldn't it have been better to take a look at the AAA games of 2011? Making a judgment about a year where the games aren't out yet to see if they fit the bill is unfair.

Then again, perhaps it would be unfair to to consider the mobile platforms against the Vita and 3DS for 2011, as those two platforms aren't even a year old yet.

Yeah, that is why I didn't use 2011.

tolkir

For 3DS

AAA:
Kid Icarus: Uprising
Kingdom Hearts 3D: Dream Drop Distance
Fire Emblem: Kakusei
Luigi's Mansion 2
Brave Fantasy
New Mario 2D
Phoenix Wright vs Layton
Monster Hunter 4
Paper Mario
Fantasy Life
Time Travelers

Looks good (not sure if AAA):
Tales of the Abyss
Tekken 3D
Good People Dies
Theatrhythm Final Fantasy
Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D
Heroes of Ruin
Rhythm Thief & the Emperor's Treasure
Rayman Origins
Code of Princess
Spirit Camera: The Cursed Memoir
Rune Factory 4
Culdcept

fernoca

Though the intention of the thread is nice, a problem is still going to be, how to define "quality"? Even more for products that haven't been released. So the main post could technically end with every game listed/planned so far; because noone knows.
Like last year, who was expecting Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars to be an awesome 3DS game with many people looking forward to the release on iPhone; after the positive impressions of the 3DS game?

So, as it's going right now the thread is going into "Here's a list of the games I'm looking forward"... "Nope, I'm going to quote your list because your list sucks and mine is better".
Otherwise, the thread might as well just be a general list, as a compilation of games coming across those devices in 2012. Rather than a list of "quality games".

Though the intention of the thread is nice, a problem is still going to be, how to define "quality"? Even more for products that haven't been released. So the main post could technically end with every game listed/planned so far; because noone knows.
Like last year, who was expecting Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars to be an awesome 3DS game with many people looking forward to the release on iPhone; after the positive impressions of the 3DS game?

So, as it's going right now the thread is going into "Here's a list of the games I'm looking forward"... "Nope, I'm going to quote your list because your list sucks and mine is better".
Otherwise, the thread might as well just be a general list, as a compilation of games coming across those devices in 2012. Rather than a list of "quality games".

True. I guess this thread is a little early and poorly started. I guess I will take suggestions now, then update them throughout the year depending on whether the game turns out good or not.

Also, as long as it isn't a mediocre game, I guess I will accept it. So, if it is quality, that is fine. If it is bad, I won't.

SykoTech

New Super Mario Bros 3DS? New 2D Mario? Wow, great list. Might as well add new Zelda, new Kirby, Smash Bros, and other games we haven't seen a bit of but somehow know they'll be "AAA".

So far, just Gravity Rush and Kingdom Hearts 3D for me. WipEout 2048 and Paper Mario are on the radar too though.

Cheebo

Banned
Uh how is such a comparison possible? IOS games are rarely shown in much advance of release like traditional games.

Foffy

Banned
New Super Mario Bros 3DS? New 2D Mario? Wow, great list. Might as well add new Zelda, new Kirby, Smash Bros, and other games we haven't seen a bit of but somehow know they'll be "AAA".

I don't think Kirby has been confirmed for the 3DS yet, though. Sure, it'll come, but perhaps we'll be on a mild break of Kirby. We had three Kirby games in two years.

I'd also like to mention Rolling Western, which is a downloadable 3DS title. That, like the pretty awesome Sakura Samurai which came out last week, seem to have some Zelda-ish vibes going on.

Uh how is such a comparison possible? IOS games are rarely shown in much advance of release like traditional games.

True, again I will update it throughout the year. Many good iOS games have come out in January though, so that will be good enough for now.

So far, just Gravity Rush and Kingdom Hearts 3D for me. WipEout 2048 and Paper Mario are on the radar too though.

Just updated the OP and removed those games.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
I never heard of a game that made people buy a smartphone just so that they could play it. Not a single one.

PKrockin

Hate to be a negative nancy but I think this is just going to amount to "X is quality? lol c'mon son. Y and Z are 20 times better"

Cheebo

Banned
Oh man, you should know how a fighting game should work on a platform with no actual buttons...:p

King of Fighter controls are really good on iOS. Street Fighter & Soul Calibur are decent, but far from bad. Fighters are far from the ideal iOS genre (there are some really badly controlling ones out there) but KOF proved it was possible to put out a solid fighter on the platform.

Hate to be a negative nancy but I think this is just going to amount to "X is quality? lol c'mon son. Y and Z are 20 times better"

I am just trying to compare the number of quality titles on each platform. Figuring out which one is better will be left to the game of the year thread.

This thread is just a really bad idea in general.

I don't see why it is. I will definitely say that I made it a little confusing, but why not have a thread comparing quality handheld and mobile games?

PKrockin

I am just trying to compare the number of quality titles on each platform. Figuring out which one is better will be left to the game of the year thread.

Quality is subjective. You have games like Super Mario 3D Land and Asphalt 3D where it's pretty much no question whether it should be considered "quality," but everything between them is probably going to be argued and whined over endlessly...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom