• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Number of Puyo Puyo Tetris players by country

I thought I'd check how many people are online on PPT (Switch) per country. This takes a while to do as I have to keep changing my settings for it but here it is! No total USA or Japan because they are divided into states/regions.

Keep in mind this doesn't mean too much as far as sales are concerned because not everyone who has the game plays online, and also you have to manually select your location and you don't have to choose one. Finally of course people are free to choose any location they like.

I have left out some countries that I checked but were less than 10 players on 06 May 2017 (Bulgaria, Romania, India, Ukraine, Turkey to name a few).

As of 06 May 2017

fmhKMPX.png

World (includes people who haven't selected a region): 31124

Countries (Europe)

Great Britain (UK) 1081
France 938
Germany 872
Spain 507
Netherlands 182
Sweden 154
Italy 138
Belgium 121
Austria 108
Switzerland 81
Norway 68
Ireland 56
Finland 47
Denmark 41
Portugal 37
Russia 37
Poland 36
Greece 21

Countries (Other)
(Excluding USA & Japan)

Canada 1245
Australia 290
China 239
Mexico 149
South Korea 83
Brazil 61
Chile 58
New Zealand 31
Argentina 28
Indonesia 27
Costa Rica 11
South Africa 11

States (USA)

California 2072
Texas 847
New York 830
Florida 632
Illinois 504
Washington 442
New Jersey 412
Pennsylvania 399
Michigan 398
Ohio 375
North Carolina 248
Georgia 238
Colorado 219
Alabama 172
Tennessee 165
Hawaii 74

Locations (Japan)

Tokyo 1060
Hokkaido 748
Osaka 710
Kanagawa 604
Saitama 521
Fukuoka 317
Kyoto 220
Fukushima 130
Aomori 106
Iwate 88
Nagasaki 61

meppi

Well that Belgium number would have been 66 if my retailer didn't fuck me over yet again, took my money, pretended to ship out the game so I'd have it on release day and then when that day came and went suddenly tried to get me to believe the game comes out May 4th, while every other retailer already has it in stock.... :-/

Kouriozan

Too scared to go online, but kinda surprised France is in top 5 so far.
Curious about Japan but they got the game for a longer time.

Fireblend

Banned
I really hope this game sells well. It's such a complete, diverse package of puzzle greatness that I have no idea why any fan of the genre would skip it. The only other puzzle game that is this good or complete IMO is Tetris DS. It's perfect on the Switch too, I brought it with me yesterday to my brother's and we spent hours playing all of the 5(!!) MP modes, other than checking out the hilarious story mode, playing online, etc.

What I'm saying is buy this game, people. If you've never played Puyo Puyo you're in for a treat as its one of the best designed competitive falling block puzzle games ever. It has tons of unlockables, a lengthy story mode, good online features, a ton of single player and multiplayer modes, great music and visuals, replays, the best version of Tetris I've played, etc etc. You have to put in some effort to play well, but it's oh so rewarding. It's almost like mastering a fighting game and even the com characters are challenging and equally as rewarding to beat.

It would be worth buying for $60 easily, IMO. For $30 it's an unbeatable deal.

Also I'm in Costa Rica and there is only like 7 other players :( and something like 4 of them are coworkers of mine I convinced to buy the game lol

Smasher89

Interesting numbers, I guess Greece are most likely to get a good sale on the Switch then if the userbase is that small!

Ecto311

Colorado here. One of 163 and you think I'd be able to win one Fucking game online. All those other fuckers are cheating.

I really hope this game sells well. It's such a complete, diverse package of puzzle greatness that I have no idea why any fan of the genre would skip it. The only other puzzle game that is this good or complete IMO is Tetris DS. It's perfect on the Switch too, I brought it with me yesterday to my brother's and we spent hours playing all of the 5(!!) MP modes, other than checking out the hilarious story mode, playing online, etc.

What I'm saying is buy this game, people. If you've never played Puyo Puyo you're in for a treat as its one of the best designed competitive falling block puzzle games ever. It has tons of unlockables, a lengthy story mode, good online features, a ton of single player and multiplayer modes, great music and visuals, replays, the best version of Tetris I've played, etc etc. You have to put in some effort to play well, but it's oh so rewarding. It's almost like mastering a fighting game and even the com characters are challenging and equally as rewarding to beat.

Also I'm in Costa Rica and there is only like 7 other players :( and something like 4 of them are coworkers of mine I convinced to buy the game lol

You done a good job! You caught upto Greece! Funny how much difference one person can make sometimes. I remember keeping the Perfect Dark XBLA alive for a while.

Been playing the demo a lot lately and will be buying it soon. Now the issue is buying it physical ($40) vs Digital ($30). 🤔

Gunstar Ikari

Unconfirmed Member
Tennessee is currently at 123 players. Population here has been growing ever so slowly, it was 95 when checked Thursday.

Hopefully the fact that I'm #1 by a significant amount is inspiring some of these guys to try playing Puyo for more than a few minutes lol

Bought this game last night on the Switch and had a blast playing it while watching tv. Been wanting a puzzle game like this for a long while now.

-shadow-

Really happy the game came over and I hope it'll do well overseas. Played it with a friend of mine on his Vita when it was originally released in Japan and I was a bit annoyed they never brought it over. I wonder what the userbase will be outside of Japan. I feel that the PS4 sales are heavily affected by the lack of a digital release.

Really happy the game came over and I hope it'll do well overseas. Played it with a friend of mine on his Vita when it was originally released in Japan and I was a bit annoyed they never brought it over. I wonder what the userbase will be outside of Japan. I feel that the PS4 sales are heavily affected by the lack of a digital release.

I think it'll do really well. The Switch is perfect for multiplayer games like this. It'll be nice if someone could post PS4 numbers of worldwide and the top few countries.

I'll update some of these numbers next Sunday if I can which will be one week in! The game is obviously still selling at a good rate so these numbers will change.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Good representation there from the UK.

A small flicker of joy and hope is all we have left now, and Puyo can supply that.

Bluth54

I think it'll do really well. The Switch is perfect for multiplayer games like this. It'll be nice if someone could post PS4 numbers of worldwide and the top few countries.

I'll update some of these numbers next Sunday if I can which will be one week in! The game is obviously still selling at a good rate so these numbers will change.

Sega should not have released this game so close to Mario Kart 8 in the US. I think that if most Switch owners only have enough money for one game they are going to buy Mario Kart.

EDarkness

I have the game and have played a lot, but I haven't been online. Not sure if I would be part of those stats. Pretty cool to see the breakdowns, though.

I have the game and have played a lot, but I haven't been online. Not sure if I would be part of those stats. Pretty cool to see the breakdowns, though.

Don't see how you could really if you haven't gone into the mode. Maybe you should to give your region a +1 ;)

Sega should not have released this game so close to Mario Kart 8 in the US. I think that if most Switch owners only have enough money for one game they are going to buy Mario Kart.

Yeah, releasing a week earlier would have been better, but hopefully it gradually continues to sell.

NimbusD

Ugh it sucks having to relearn Tetris to leave garbage holes on purpose. It doesn't feel as fun and satisfying and clearing a Tetris meh.

Gotta learn how to do well at puyo though, seems without fail that online the good puyo player wins handily over the good Tetris player.

Fireblend

Banned
Ugh it sucks having to relearn Tetris to leave garbage holes on purpose. It doesn't feel as fun and satisfying and clearing a Tetris meh.

Gotta learn how to do well at puyo though, seems without fail that online the good puyo player wins handily over the good Tetris player.
Nonsense, when you lock that T piece in place and cleanly fill the space the sound the rotation and line clears make is super satisfying. 'Switch click'-tier feeling, IMO.

And actually Tetris is favored over Puyo at high skill play. It's all about speed and smart setups. You should learn Puyo because it's tons of fun tho :D

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Maybe if it didn't cost the equivalent of $45 digitally here in Sweden (50% more than the NA price!) more of us would get it. I just can't quite justify that for a game like this.

Fireblend

Banned
Maybe if it didn't cost the equivalent of $45 digitally here in Sweden (50% more than the NA price!) more of us would get it. I just can't quite justify that for a game like this.
You could always create an US account and buy it from that eshop, no? Assuming you're on Switch.

wwm0nkey

Played this with a bunch of friends last night. I am alright at Puyo but its my favorite and my other friend is really good at Tetris...that VS match we played was intense as fuck haha

It's well worth the money. You can easily get 100+ hours from a game like this.

Peltz

I just want to echo this. If you've EVER enjoyed a puzzle game, this one is arguably the one of the best releases in the history of the genre. I also agree it's well worth the asking price. There's a ton of content here. It's one of the best Switch multiplayer games.

Top Bottom