• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nuzlocke Challenge runs in honour of Twitch plays Pokemon

Brak

Twitch plays Pokemon got me pretty hyped about Pokemon so I decided to finally attempt a Nuzlocke challenge run. For those who aren't aware, the Nuzlocke challenge is a self-imposed difficulty run of any Pokemon game named after the comic strip that invented it. The original rules were simple:

1. He could only capture the first Pokemon he encountered in each new area.

2. If a Pokemon fainted he would consider it dead and release it.

There have since been many variations on the rules, and I have created my own hybrid rule set (I encourage anyone who's interested in doing this to make their own rules too.) I'll post my rules later as they got sort of long, and I don't want that to be the focus of the thread.

I am playing Pokemon Leaf Green, so I can mostly follow in the tracks of the robo stream. I played up to Rock Tunnel last night to catch up with Twitch. It started off very well, and I was starting to think that it was actually too easy. Then the crits and stupid mistakes started piling up and I don't even have a full team at the moment. Lt. Surge was probably the scariest moment as my top two Pokemon are weak to lightning, but Kafka the Beedrill (r.i.p.) solo'd like a champ.

My current roster:
1. Napoleon the Squirtle - lvl 33 (will never evolve)
2. Earhart the Pidgeotto - lvl 30 (captured as Pidgey)
3. Penfield the Drowzee - lvl 19
4. Crassus the Meowth - lvl 17
5. Hegel the Sandshrew - lvl 17

Graveyard:
x. Brunhilde the Spearow - lvl 11
x. Miracle Max the Rattata - lvl 13
x. Turing the Bellsprout - lvl 17
x. Kafka the Beedrill - lvl 23 (captured as Kakuna)
x. Red Baron the Zubat - lvl 15
x. Manhattan the Voltorb - lvl 16

Doing the Nuzlocke run is really fun so far, and makes Pokemon a much more challenging and interesting game. Try it yourself and tell me about it. Or, if you've already done a Nuzlocke run, tell us about that. All hail Helix Fossil!

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Yea Gen wars and all...but I have been checking the Twitch stream on and off and am dying to play a game myself.

I've only ever played through LeafGreen GBA since I was in college when the original R/B launched and really hold no nostalgia since I avoided the franchise until I fell in love with Pokemon Snap, igniting my desire to play the GBA remakes.

Since I want a challenge as well, I am thinking of trying that Nuzlocke thing, but am debating either B/W or X/Y. Reminds me of Ironman mode in Fire Emblem/Xcom which I am a fan of.

Obviously X/Y was my first thought, but reports that it is way too easy and imbalanced kind of turned me off. Also B/W campaign removes all the popular known Pokemon from the campaign, making each encounter an unexpected surprise. Plus I am intrigued by the Team Plasma storyline, at least enough for curiosity.

Thoughts? I was debating Soul Silver, but kind of felt the modern advancements in later games to be more worthwhile.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BW2 probably has the most content of the post gen IV Pokemon. However a nuzlocke on BW with it's mostly new Pokemon would probably be the most rewarding and surprising

I'm kinda tempted to do a run with this, I'm eligible for that whole free download of Pokemon X/Y if I register my 3DS XL and a game, I already have finished X, would be interesting to get Y and try a Nuzlocke run on it just to see how it would go.

neto

Right now I'm doing a Pokemon Y nuzlocke run, and since my last pokemon game was gold/silver there are a lot of pokemon that I don't know their types and all that, so a lot of my dead pokemons came from stupid mistakes and ignorance haha but that is what makes it so exciting, I have been enjoying it so far

Top Bottom