• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA allegedly cancels GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB

Senua

NVIDIA allegedly cancels its December launch of GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB. This still very fresh information comes from two independent sources.

Technically GeForce RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB could launch at a later time, but the information that we have clearly stated that those SKUs have been canceled, not postponed. NVIDIA has already canceled its RTX 3070 Ti model (PG141 SKU 0), so the RTX 3070 16GB (PG141 SKU5) and RTX 3080 20GB (PG132 SKU20) will be joining the list.

read more
https://videocardz.com/newz/nvidia-allegedly-cancels-geforce-rtx-3080-20gb-and-rtx-3070-16gb

um...

https%3A%2F%2Fspecials-images.forbesimg.com%2Fimageserve%2F5bf46c564bbe6f78bda8c405%2F0x0.jpg%3Fbackground%3D000000%26cropX1%3D29%26cropX2%3D638%26cropY1%3D12%26cropY2%3D620

diffusionx

Gold Member
Considering that demand is outstripping supply by so much it probably makes sense not to launch new cards for the moment.

It does give AMD an opening let’s see how they do.

Last edited:

Myths

That’s pretty annoying for those of us who felt we were in the better seat having missed this recent “batch.” Then again, we probably weren’t going to be able to get ahold of a 20GB variant anyway.

This crap better not be true. Could they just be calling it something else? If true, the only thing I can hope for is a price drop on the 3090... Or just settle for a 3080 10GB for now and try to sell it later when/if the 20GB drops or a TI variant or something...

Krappadizzle

Gold Member
Makes me concerned a bit. I wonder if they know something about AMD's cards that we don't? If they are willing to cancel this, that may be due to them not being worried about their 3080 card being dethroned at all, which is kind of a bummer.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
Lol at people who actually believed this nonsense rumor. Come on. Nvidia wouldn’t do that. They want to suck as much blood out of you as possible.

If you’re willing to wait a year, yes, a higher VRAM card is a real possibility. But an update like four months after release of a near unobtainable product? Nonsense.

ethomaz

Banned
Sounds very much like "We falsely speculated on SKUs that probably were just experimental cards never intended to be released, and now we're saying they're "canceled" to cover us our own screwup."
It they intended to launch them as a counter to AMD release....

They now think they can cancel it and hold the card in hand for 2021 S models.

ethomaz

Banned
Lol at people who actually believed this nonsense rumor. Come on. Nvidia wouldn’t do that. They want to suck as much blood out of you as possible.

If you’re willing to wait a year, yes, a higher VRAM card is a real possibility. But an update like four months after release of a near unobtainable product? Nonsense.
It was not actually a rumor but a card list in AIB sites.

DarkestHour

Banned
They're just going to release a super badass card instead. It's going to be the "Super" versions all over again, just sooner.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nothing was announced. These were just rumours. Why would they release be versions now.
3080 is a beast at 4k. And it's 10gb will be long enough before the card is slow to run games in 4 or 5 years anyway.

Last edited:

CuNi

The "Ti" brand would lose all meaning behind it. Ti was between the lower and higher non-Ti in terms of performance.
A 3080ti would have to be... what.. 2% stronger as to not make the 3090 obsolete in terms of performance?
And since you can already OC the higher bins of the 3080 to stock 3090 levels, I can't even start to understand where a 3080ti would fit in performance and moreso price-wise.
3080ti is a pipe-dream and is not happening before a whole Ampere Refresh where all card tiers get uplifts etc. by either moving to a different Node or having the "Super"-Lineup released.

Ar¢tos

LOL "You wanted a 20gb 3080? No no! Give us 1500* for a 3090 if 10gb is not Enough for you!"
*scalper fee not included

Abriael_GN

RSI Employee of the Year
That would suck ass since I've been hoping for a 3070 16GB or 3070 Ti 16GB this year.

Next time, you don't blindly believe rumors and speculation designed to get your clicks. Quite obviously, Nvidia believes that the current specs are the sweet spot.

Last edited:

johntown

Banned
IMO a December launch really does not make much sense with CES 2 months away. I don't follow this stuff too closely so I could be missing something.

Seems Nvidia might have underestimated both AMD and overestimated Samsung's node.

A really bad combination potentially.

So let's look at what we know:
GA104 is the die that is currently being used for the 3070.

Normally Nvidia uses XX104 as their 70 and 80 class cards.

It looks like Nvidia may have been forced to move 3080 to a GA102 die, where the 102 is normally their biggest die, normally their 80ti class cards are reserved for x102 dies. This was likely done as an early reaction in case AMD had something good with RDNA2 based on projecting performance from RDNA1. This is also likely why the 3090 exists as a hail Mary halo card just in case 3080 is beaten so they can retain power crown. This would also make sense given the 3000 cards being pushed to their limits past efficiency to gain the extra performance.

Nvidia recently cancelled their 3070ti which would have been the full die version of GA104 as it is completely outclassed by Navi21 and as such wouldn't make any sense.

There have been rumours just recently that 3060 was being moved to GA104 instead of GA106, in other words being brought up a die to become a more powerful card. They would likely not do this unless they were afraid of being outclassed by Navi22 etc...

Then we hear rumours of a potential TSMC 7nm refresh of ampere, you don't do that unless you think your competition is too close for comfort. Of course they at the same time be unhappy with Samsung yields/performance, we will see what happens.

This brings us to larger memory variants being cancelled, they were definitely real and were listed on AIB roadmaps/docs. If they are cancelled it will likely be because Nvidia wanted to charge 150-200 more for them but now can't as AMD will be too competitive on price/performance so they likely cancelled them and are planning to refresh next year with supers maybe on TSMC 7nm

PhoenixTank

Nothing was announced. These were just rumours. Why would they release be versions now.
3080 is a beast at 4k. And it's 10gb will be long enough before the card is slow to run games in 4 or 5 years anyway.
Announced, no but as ethomaz ethomaz points out they were listed on board partner sites, but not given dedicated pages or anything like that. Gigabyte and at least another, I believe? These were on the table at some point.

Had a fucking good chuckle at this:
Source: Jensen’s Laptop

Waiting for the next source to be listed as "Jensen's Jacket".

TheContact

nvidia says that they didn't expect the demand even though their supply is fine (feels like a blatant lie), and now this? the cards are so good but they're failing everywhere else

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Announced, no but as ethomaz ethomaz points out they were listed on board partner sites, but not given dedicated pages or anything like that. Gigabyte and at least another, I believe? These were on the table at some point.

Had a fucking good chuckle at this:

Waiting for the next source to be listed as "Jensen's Jacket".
I could believe that sure.
I have the 3080fe and it's a beast but it's also 320w coil whine monstrosity that runs 76c hot (still not too loud though)
For sure it seems that they are squeezing the 3080 as much as they can. It's not giving you this performance easily.
So I am really not sure how amd will do the same performance with more ram and less money.
So whatever cards nvidia was planning to do, would not be faster. Just have more ram and maybe less 7nm heat but I dont see anyone making a faster chip that g102 now.

Or nvidia really failed at engineering. Who knows. I got sure enjoy it but it's super weird that nobody can buy the fucking thing. You start thinking is it intentional

Last edited:

PhoenixTank

I could believe that sure.
I have the 3080fe and it's a beast but it's also 320w coil whine monstrosity that runs 76c hot (still not too loud though)
For sure it seems that they are squeezing the 3080 as much as they can. It's not giving you this performance easily.
So I am really not sure how amd will do the same performance with more ram and less money.
So whatever cards nvidia was planning to do, would not be faster. Just have more ram and maybe less 7nm heat but I dont see anyone making a faster chip that g102 now.

Or nvidia really failed at engineering. Who knows. I got sure enjoy it but it's super weird that nobody can buy the fucking thing. You start thinking is it intentional
I'm unclear as to whether the 3090 is a full GA102 or cut down at all. I assume a full chip, but the same was assumed of the 2080 Ti. Given that, then yeah they don't have a whole lot of room to manoeuvre with the current silicon, but the gap between 3090 & 3080 definitely presents an opening for enthusiast needs with high VRAM. To combine a couple rumours, it could be that there will be a 7nm refresh with increased VRAM down the line.
Covid Logistics, but they're not exactly giving us a sensible & official reason as to why.

Starfield

If you knew how hard it is to get a RTX30xx its kinda obvious.

People sit in discord groups, telegram alert channels and have progams set up that auto refresh 20+ sites every 30secs to get a card from amazon or somewhere else. basically all day

This has been a paperlaunch

Last edited:

fermcr

How can they cancel something that was never announced?
There was a rumor about RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB... now there's a rumor they cancelled those cards. I also can make shit up and claim it as a rumor.

There was a rumor about RTX 3999 100GB and RTX 3069 69GB... now they cancelled those cards.

Last edited:

Senua

How can they cancel something that was never announced?
There was a rumor about RTX 3080 20GB and RTX 3070 16GB... now there's a rumor they cancelled those cards. I also can make shit up and claim it as a rumor.

There was a rumor about RTX 3999 100GB and RTX 3069 69GB... now they cancelled those cards.

They were listed as coming by multiple AIBs..you can cancel what has not been announced officially to the public

Top Bottom