• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia and HTC holding VR event in London Dec 8

Searched and found nothing, close if old. From the Overclockers forum:

Hello OCUK!

We at NVIDIA are hosting a very special VR event with HTC Vive on December 8th in London and we’d like to invite you and a friend to come and take a journey into a whole new world!

You may have experienced gaming in VR, but we’d like to show you a wider experience: explore the galaxy, polish your art skills and even get ready to be led on a once in a lifetime trip… (plus a few other things…)

NVIDIA GPUs are powering next generation virtual reality games and apps, and we invite you to get hands on with the latest VR experiences.

If you (plus a friend) would like to join us. Leave a post with the answer to the question below:

--- If you could have ONE game re-made for VR what would it be? ---

We’ll pick 1 winner on 4/12/15! See you there!

Terms and Conditions

• UK residents only
• Closing date: 4/12/15
• Winners contacted/announced: 4/12/15
• Winners must be available to travel to London 8/12/15
• Travel costs not included.

https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18705601

Poster in question is an Nvidia rep. At first it was just announced to be an Nvidia event but he edited the post to include HTC recently. Given the date and the previous info of a Vive announcement on the 8th I'd say this is a good indication for release info, final consumer version shown, and possibly pre-orders opening up.

HTC and Valve have yet to say anything about this event, so for now I'm not expecting anything special. I don't know man. There's also going to be a Vive dev conference two weeks from now on in Beijing.

I mean so far the only official mention of this were on Nvidia UK's twitter and this post on Overclockers.

Synth

Ok, if anyone here reading this gets invited, keep two things in mind:

1) I am your friend.
2) Vote Virtua Racing.

Do NOT fuck up point 2... it's pretty important.

HTC and Valve have yet to say anything about this event, so for now I'm not expecting anything special. I don't know man. There's also going to be a Vive dev conference two weeks from now on in Beijing.

I mean so far the only official mention of this were on Nvidia UK's twitter and this post on Overclockers.

Yeah it could be nothing, but it seems so likely with that European HTC guy spilling about the 8th date and now there's this. This is clearly a community focused event so it'd make sense to premiere it there rather than the dev thing, but then again Connect 2 was dev focused too so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Wait and see and all that.

Ok, if anyone here reading this gets invited, keep two things in mind:

1) I am your friend.
2) Vote Virtua Racing.

Do NOT fuck up point 2... it's pretty important.

This would actually be pretty awesome in VR.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I wish I was there.

Is this a retail launch event?

HariKari

It's not like Valve would hype up an event. They do need to show their hand in relation to the Vive soon-ish.

YES!!!

4d7.gif

PLEASE don't be a let down.
This can't be a continuation of the Vive tour.....can it?
This part:
You may have experienced gaming in VR, but we’d like to show you a wider experience: explore the galaxy, polish your art skills and even get ready to be led on a once in a lifetime trip…
doesn't fill me with confidence!
(plus a few other things…)
This does however!
No negative thoughts! This has to be it!
Have Valve ever announced anything REALLY big before outside of the US?

spannicus

Gonna sell out faster than 20th anniversary ps4 lmao. Then they will sell on ebay for 5000 us dollars in a matter of minutes. Sadly i will probably be working. I want one baaddd.

Nzyme32

No mention of Valve. Hope that means they do their own event of some sort, hopefully with some details on some changes and new stuff for Steam, both VR and non-VR related

Something I hadn't considered that seems a possibility someone offered on reddit, is maybe HTC+Valve has partnered with nvidia to make a steam machine designed with vr in mind. Could move a fair more units if offering as part of a bundle.

Spookie

When I had the Vive demoed to me at EGX they alluded to a small soft launch this month with a proper launch next March. I guess this leans in to that.

Tragic it won't be out here. I think for the most part the scene here in LA is getting much much bigger. Not begging btw. If I could go it would be awesome.

Bookoo

I wish I was there.

Is this a retail launch event?

It very likely is. The HTC PR guy accidentally said they would premiere it on the 8th a month or so ago and they have continued to say they will have limited quantities available by the end of the year.

I'm just worried about the limited quantities portion.

Hoping to see the $600 dollar price point but expect am expecting $700.

It very likely is. The HTC PR guy accidentally said they would premiere it on the 8th a month or so ago and they have continued to say they will have limited quantities available by the end of the year.
Except this email doesn't even hint at any press event, like I said it's probably just nVidia taking their Vive demo to London.

Notice how he said software and not games. We don't know the ratio.

also, you should probably edit the OP with Nzyme's and mine post :p

Neither did I ;)

I still think there's a possibility the limited rollout could be announced at the event, this thread ain't exactly hoppin either. We'll find out the full story soon enough.

Katamari Damacy. The simplified graphics would run buttery smooth, and adding 3D depth to everything would really underscore the awesome scope of the game world's shifting scales.

This would be fantastic for vr, spot on with the scale transitions being a big strength for the medium.

fred

Does anyone know of anywhere in London where I can go and experience VR for free..? By the sound of this competition this sounds like a paid event. :eek:(

Synth

Does anyone know of anywhere in London where I can go and experience VR for free..? By the sound of this competition this sounds like a paid event. :eek:(

Man, I wouldn't even mind a paid event. This sounds more like a "we'll call you" event. Last time they did something like this was at EGX where they allowed us all to sign up, then told most of us we didn't have a slot, once the tickets and train fare to Birmingham had been paid for!

Yes I'm bitter, lol.

Top Bottom