• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA announced GeForce RTX SUPER graphics for laptops. DLSS 2.0, Ray-Tracing, VRS, 300 FPS. Max-Q Dynmaic Boost = real-time GPU/CPU power balancing.

Leonidas

geforce-rtx-super-laptops-performance-chart-850px.jpg

geforce-rtx-super-laptops-max-q-dynamic-boost-850px.jpg

For a competitive edge in multiplayer games, over 25 designs will offer 300Hz displays. These very high refresh laptops enable low latency, crisp visuals, and minimal ghosting, so you can perform at your very best. We recently published a study at SIGGRAPH Asia that showed how lower latency and higher frames result in faster and more accurate aiming in first-person shooters. Using this data, we calculated that subjects’ flick shot aim improved by up to 35% at 300FPS/Hz over a 60FPS/Hz baseline.

Historically, a laptop’s CPU and GPU have a fixed, predefined power budget, regardless of the type of content being run. Our Max-Q Dynamic Boost technology automatically enables real-time GPU and CPU power balancing, allowing the system to dynamically shift up to 15W of power from the CPU to the GPU during GPU-bound workloads, like gaming. It intelligently assesses the power demand of the system on a frame by frame basis, so the power shift only happens when it’s needed. The result is higher frame rates and smoother gaming overall for up to a 10% performance boost, all for free.

Good to see Nvidia bring CPU/GPU power balancing where it belongs, in power constrained laptops.

It's gonna be fantastic trying to figure out which laptop has one of these new GPUs, because they have the exact same name as the older ones, and we know manufacturers sick at giving correct information.

And let's be real. People are gonna be looking towards the 3000 series GPUs soon, even for portable computers. No one cares about this refresh.

Leonidas

It's gonna be fantastic trying to figure out which laptop has one of these new GPUs

The one's with SUPER in the specs...

And let's be real. People are gonna be looking towards the 3000 series GPUs soon, even for portable computers. No one cares about this refresh.

2080 Super is the fastest mobile GPU. People who want the fastest laptop GPUs will care.

Where did you get the idea that 3000 series is soon for laptops? 2019 was RTX mobile. 2020 is RTX Super mobile. Seems safe to say 3000 series isn't coming to laptops till some time in 2021, a year away... why would anyone who wants a laptop today wait a year?

Last edited:

Myths

Not too shabby. I was trying to record a tutorial the other day, when I realized my laptop was just short a gen of NVidia GPU’s in order to use Shadowplay.

I will definitely be looking into this for my next upgrade so I can take advantage of Shadowplay 4K recording.

The one's with SUPER in the specs...
The 2060 is improved too, but isn't called super. There's new 1650 en 1660s too. The naming's gonna be confusing.

Where did you get the idea that 3000 series is soon for laptops? 2019 was RTX mobile. 2020 is RTX Super mobile. Seems safe to say 3000 series isn't coming to laptops till some time in 2021, a year away...
Never said they were coming soon, but that's the actual next step people want. Not some rebranded 2000 series cards. All I know is I'll have to wait longer.

Leonidas

There was no new 2060 mobile announced. It's only improvement is that it is now cheaper.

1650 Ti is new. That didn't exist before.
There is no 1660S for mobile, you sure do seem quite confused...

It might be for you but it's not confusing at all for me...
You don't know what you're talking about. The new Max-Q cards with dynamic boost have the same name but run better. How is a regular customer gonna know if their Max-Q GPU is the new and improved one, or one of the old shitty ones? There are new 1650 cards, and 1660ti cards and 2060 cards. Get your facts straight.

Leonidas

You don't know what you're talking about. The new Max-Q cards with dynamic boost have the same name but run better. How is a regular customer gonna know if their Max-Q GPU is the new and improved one, or one of the old shitty ones? There are new 1650 cards, and 1660ti cards and 2060 cards. Get your facts straight.

2080 Super Max-Q
2070 Super Max-Q

That's the difference, it has super in the name.

Where is this new 2060, 1650 and 1660S you were talking about?

2080 Super Max-Q
2070 Super Max-Q

That's the difference, it has super in the name.

Where is this new 2060, 1650 and 1660S you were talking about?
The new 2060 is in the graph you posted dude. Are you blind?

https://www.pcworld.com/article/353...s-max-q-advancements-and-price-drops.amp.html

As of Thursday, Nvidia’s rolling out fresh enhancements that will be included in GeForce notebooks going forward. The company claims that with these improvements in place, new Max-Q laptops are twice as efficient as comparable last-gen models from 2017.

There is no mention of a new 2060 :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Nvidia Max-Q gets even more power-efficient
These 100+ new laptop designs should be even more efficient than previous GeForce-packing laptops—even previous RTX laptops—thanks to improvements made to Nvidia’s Max-Q technology.

As of Thursday, Nvidia’s rolling out fresh enhancements that will be included in GeForce notebooks going forward. The company claims that with these improvements in place, new Max-Q laptops are twice as efficient as comparable last-gen models from 2017.

Let’s start at the lowest level before digging into the really juicy stuff. These new Max-Q GPUs include lower-voltage GDDR6 memory as well as “next-gen” voltage regulators to improve overall efficiency. [...] Fortifying these subsystems lets Nvidia drive more power to the GPU itself, which in turn means more performance in your games.

Dynamic Boost
The new Dynamic Boost feature is what really gives your GPU more juice when needed most.

Essentially, when the GPU is performing a task that requires more horsepower, the laptop shifts power from the CPU, and vice-versa when the CPU needs some extra oomph.
The new feature functions on a variety of levels to make its power adjustments, including the hardware level. Unfortunately, that means Dynamic Boost won’t be coming to prior versions of GeForce laptops.
Nvidia expects Dynamic Boost to be supported in the vast majority of newly designed Max-Q systems—not just ones with the RTX 2070 Super or 2080 Super inside. Dynamic Boost works with the entire GeForce mobile lineup going forward, including the GTX 1650.
Hmm, it's almost like there's new versions of old GPUs, including the 2060 and 1650, which are more power efficient, which leads to better performance...

Damn, some GAF members make me feel super smart :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
Don't flatter yourself.

kiphalfton

This generation seems to have dragged on forever. Probably largely due in part to the RTX 2070 and RTX 2080 being disappointing right out the gate.

PhoenixTank

I see your point now, forget what I said earlier.
It's still not a new GPU though, it's a new feature available to OEMs.

9m34s in. Newer 115W TDP 2060 available, with what looks like higher boost clocks. Or are you considering that a feature? New GPU silicon, no. New configuration that affects performance, yes.

Last edited:
I get your point (now that you provided a quote), but it's still not a new GPU, it's a new optional feature available to OEMs with minor performance differences.
nVidia sure don't seem to think they're "minor". Besides, with Max-Q GPUs, every bit of extra performance can make a significant difference. Ultimately you're going to want to get one of these new GPUs, and not one of the old ones. They should've named these new versions differently to set them apart.

Leonidas

nVidia sure don't seem to think they're "minor". Besides, with Max-Q GPUs, every bit of extra performance can make a significant difference. Ultimately you're going to want to get one of these new GPUs, and not one of the old ones. They should've named these new versions differently to set them apart.

It's no more egregious than things we've seen in the past from the likes of (GTX 1060, RX 5600 XT, RX 580, RX 590, and probably many other GPUs).

The performance gains from the graphs suggest +5-8% region, I wouldn't call that significant but I suppose every bit does help.

If I wanted a laptop for maximum performance I wouldn't be buying a Max-Q to begin with, the non Max-Q variants will still be a bit more powerful...

Leonidas

9m34s in. Newer 115W TDP 2060 available, with what looks like higher boost clocks. Or are you considering that a feature? New GPU silicon, no. New configuration that affects performance, yes.

My previous discussion ITT has to do with Max-Q / Boost.
And I admittedly got all my info quickly from a trusted source that omitted some things...

I'd consider that a new configuration, Max-Q Boost I consider a feature as it's optional for OEM and user.

Last edited:
Top Bottom