• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

Day fucking one.

Nvidia says that the 1080 is about 1.7x the performance of the 980 in The Witcher 3, so based on digital foundry's benchmarks at 1440p the 1080 should be about 30% faster than the 980ti, which means that technically the 1080 should get a minimum of 61fps in The Witcher 3 maxed out at 1440p.

That's fucking awesome!

Oxn

Hey maybe that rumor of a $300 polaris card that performs like a 980ti is not so farfetched now huh.

wachie

I wasn't surprised by the price but the fact that they announced it right now, so far out.

I'm thinking Nvidia knows a thing or two about Polaris.

Xyber

That 1080 shall be mine, my tax return together with the money I will get from selling my 970 will pretty much cover it all.

I hope there will be aftermarket coolers available day one though, otherwise I'm gonna have to wait a bit.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Wow I'm gonna need one of these asap. Hopefully the Canadian conversion isn't too bad as I'd like to go for a 1080.

Renekton

I wasn't surprised by the price but the fact that they announced it right now, so far out.

If Polaris 10 is still in the 970-980 range as rumored, the presentation will be more awkward than Tom's.

Durante

It's releasing in less than 3 weeks, I don't think that's all that far out.

Anyway, I was way off in my price expectations, especially after how Jen-Hsun hyped up the reveal. ("thousands of engineers... thousands ... of ... engineers ... BILLIONS ... go to Mars" ;))

Y'all think I should upgrade my watercooled GTX 980 Ti overclocked to 1500 MHz to a watercooled 1080?

If this is through EVGA step up, then without doubt yes. If you are buying it it a new card full prince then depends on how hungry you are to be on the bleeding edge rather than needing it.

Is it general consensus that founders/factory OC cards are the one to go for? Or will it really depend on the OC and the benchmarks?

dr_rus

Think of how tiny a 1070 card could be.

Think of all the tiny PCs.
Sorry, man, I don't have any issues with big sizes and I have a Define XL case so the size of a videocard is of no interest to me really.

Also vulkan support wonder if they fixed dx12 performance vs amd
By "fixing their DX12 performance" you mean "did they make their DX11 driver just as inefficient"?

Okay here's what I think should be clarified, can someone help?

Nvidia's Big Pascal GP100 for the Telsa P100 (and future 2017 graphic cards) has the following performance:

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-pascal-gpu-gtc-2016/#ixzz47vzgolUL

The GTX 1080 is the GP104 GPU with 9 TFLOPs right, but I assume that's single precision FP32 ?
FP32 of course.

Come to think of it, the 1080 card they've showed running at 2114MHz was actually faster at FP32 math than the GP100 on its base specs.

I don't think that's very likely at all.
If anything, I'd assume those transistors include a significant amount of redundancy to allow them to reach these (to me at least) very unexpected price levels.
Not really seeing anything unexpected in pricing. 1080 is $100 above normal, 1070 is $20 below normal. But yeah, you're probably right. 2560 SPs and 7.2B transistors kinda fit with GM200's 3072 SPs in 8B transistors considering that Pascal have probably gotten more on chip memory again.

Oxn

Don't make anybody with a 980ti feel bad. The 980 is going to run games at great levels for years to come.

I got burned too, 2 years ago on April 2014 i bought a used 780gtx for $420....... And then the 970 gets anounced soon after with better performance and cheaper price....... I was a noob at that point, but i have been very into this stuff in the past 2 years and know the best time to buy gpus.

Not a chance, they have been smug-ing up the performance rumor threads :D

Actual 980 Ti owners don't give a fuck, we're already planning our next upgrade. People who buy $650+ video cards aren't like that. The Titan X owners are the same way, so don't feel sad for them either.

They did exactly the same thing to AMD last year, pulling the rug out from under them by announcing the 980 Ti before AMD got around to announcing the Fury X.

Nvidia's corporate espionage is on point.

Bookoo

Damn just bought a 980ti because I didn't think performance increases would be that good. Hopefully the price drops a lot on Amazon and I can talk them into doing a price adjustment.

badb0y

If this is through EVGA step up, then without doubt yes. If you are buying it it a new card full prince then depends on how hungry you are to be on the bleeding edge rather than needing it.
Nah, this isn't though step up. I would have to sell it and then buy the new card on my own. I do have a 1440p 144 Hz monitor doe.

AmyS

Okay, so with GP100 getting 10.6 TFLOPS single precision and the GP104 in GTX 1080 getting only somewhat less with 9 TFLOPS sp, that tells me GP104 is getting that much thanks to its insane clockspeed, whereas GP100 is a much bigger GPU, but very much under-clocked for its application in the Telsa product.

Titan Pascal and GTX 1080Ti should be insane-insane.

Decado

I'm upgrading from a gtx 670 oc. Have to decide whether to go with a 1070, 1080 or amd's new card. Leaning toward nvidia as I've been burned several times with Radeon cards.

J-Rzez

AMD will very likely go for lower affordable segments.

Supposedly they are. But I guess we won't know for sure just yet. I mean, AMD cards were running DX12 better iirc. How well will these run it?

Does AMD have a show coming up yet? Will they announce one now due to this?

McHuj

I think a 1070 is in my future. What exactly is the difference between a founders and the cheaper version? In terms of performance?

I'll probably buy a EVGA or MSI Gaming model though.

Nah, this isn't though step up. I would have to sell it and then buy the new card on my own. I do have a 1440p 144 Hz monitor doe.

I don't know how much cards lose value over time when selling them close to new releases so that may be the big factor here, but yeah 144hz would for sure get use of it.

Katori

So is this comparable to the 980Ti or should I wait for the 1080Ti? If I buy a card at that price, I want it to be the "best" in the market.

What's the better value, two 1070s in SLI or a single 1080? Also consider I'm building a VR PC and I think you can't use GPUs in SLI, at least with Occulus.

inner-G

Banned
Ugh. I just got a 970 in January. Must. Hold. Off.

Oh well, by the time the OC'd/non-blower ones come out I will have gotten decent use of my current card.

I want to see 1440/4K benchmarks first too

cwistofu

Video card noob here, how much theoretical performance am I giving up if I go with a 1070?

How does a 1070 compare to the 980Ti or whatever is hot these days?

Buburibon

By the time the 1080ti comes, I'll have to sell my Titan Xs for... $200 each?

:/

I hear you. I don't think I'd be able to get more than $400-500 CAD today, so I've decided to donate my Titan X to one of the other PC gamers in the family, and get a 1080 as a stopgap until the next Titan is available.

i'll upgrade to either a 980ti or a 1070 i think, from a 970

if they actually make use of those vr speed bumps it's worth it for me there alone

Devildoll

If anyone wants to re-live the Tom-moment.
It's from this time stamp and goes on for about two minutes up until 1:27:15

I got a different vibe of Jen-Hsun this whole presentation, compared to how i usually "feel" him.

Top Bottom