• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

LowParry

I suppose I'll toss this out there.

Currently running a 3570k (OC 4.2)
And a 970 and game on a 144hz monitor.

1070 the reasonable upgrade?

TalonJH

Is the 500w recommended for both or is that the 1070. I think I'll pick up a 1070 later this year. That's very reasonable and I already have what I need to support it.

Stop yelling, Im not Tom.

I thought Tom was about to get murdered.

Dance Inferno

Unconfirmed Member
So if I plan to game on 1080p for the foreseeable future, I don't need a 1070 do I? Would it make sense to wait on price drops this summer and pick something else up for sub-$200? I currently have an R9 280X which runs most stuff on High, but I would still like to trade up.

CHC

Question:

Nvidia CEO kept using "VR Performance" as comparison point. Is it higher because of the VR FPS-smoothing tech?

No, it basically just has some new tech that is more efficient at rendering multiple viewports. And I mean A LOT more efficient - like 50% more.

Evo X

Show me the Titan Nvidia!

These cards aren't really worth it for Titan X owners.

Hoping for at least 16GB GDDR5X.

So if I plan to game on 1080p for the foreseeable future, I don't need a 1070 do I? Would it make sense to wait on price drops this summer and pick something else up for sub-$200? I currently have an R9 280X which runs most stuff on High, but I would still like to trade up.

On a 1080p monitor, it's still a good thing if you upgrade to a 1070 as you have the option to downscale or play newer games with all the bells and whistles.

Panda Rin

Just curious, how difficult is it to get one of these puppies when it releases? Was it hard to get a 970/980 during launch?

Renekton

No, it basically just has some new tech that is more efficient at rendering multiple viewports. And I mean A LOT more efficient - like 50% more.
Ya I am slightly confused by this.

If just single monitor non-VR performance, I wonder what is the actual +%

CHC

Show me the Titan Nvidia!

These cards aren't really worth it for Titan X owners.

Hoping for at least 16GB GDDR5X.

eBay prices for a used Titan X are still like $800 haha.... so if you feel like doing a little work to take it out, box it up and sell it, you're essentially being paid $200 for a ~30% upgrade in performance.

Ya I am slightly confused by this.

If just single monitor non-VR performance, I wonder what is the actual +%

The graph was pretty non-technical but eyeballing it's probably at least ~20% or 30% faster than a Titan X.

Zexen

So, resale values are pretty much fucked up now. How much for a 980Ti if a 1070 is faster than a Titan X AND $379?

Well, I guess I'll stick on my SLI and wait for the 11XX series to come.

Alexious

Question:

Nvidia CEO kept using "VR Performance" as comparison point. Is it higher because of the VR FPS-smoothing tech?

Yes, in all likelihood.

This is the comparison used on the official site...

6eV4g36.png

Cels

i ordered a cheap 970 a week ago but canceled the order a day later

i hope i can get my hands on a 1070 early on, the things will be sold out for months

KingBroly

Banned
970 -> 1070 yes or no?

I need specs dammit!

I'd say no, personally. Selling a GPU after only a year is a bit premature, IMO. Especially for one that 99% of games don't surpass/won't surpass. And next year might be the time they add in HBM2, so that means more than single digits.

jony_m

Need to resist the temptation until 1080ti, still keeping hope for HBM

Also, the 2x Titan X claim was factoring in the VR reproduction tech, was it not?.

The original graph was maybe 130% the Titan X...

Courage

I just got a new PC with a 970 and my dumb ass is reading these replies trying to justify an upgrade already.

Schnozberry

Need to resist the temptation until 1080ti, still keeping hope for HBM

Also, the 2x Titan X was factoring in the VR reproduction tech, was it not?.

The original graph was maybe 130% the Titan X...

I wouldn't bet the farm on the accuracy of Nvidia PR graphs.

Eiji

So, resale values are pretty much fucked up now. How much for a 980Ti if a 1070 is faster than a Titan X AND $379?

Well, I guess I'll stick on my SLI and wait for the 11XX series to come.

This is why you sell before announcements like this.

My GTX 980 was sold 2 weeks ago.

Top Bottom