• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces Geforce GTX 10 Series - GTX1080 - $599 - May 27th, GTX1070 = $379

SLI looks cleaner than ever

giEhQhjl.jpg

sure if you have a reference model, but that wont match MSI crazy amount of red I'm anticipating.

The 970 was 3.5 Gflops, so if the 1070 is 6.5 it means the raw power actually doubled.

Though I'm doubtful since the 980Ti Gflops were 5.6 and it's not possible the 1070 will be faster than that too.

Alexious

Thanks a lot!

2X over 980 and +30% over Titan X is just a fantastic improvement.

It may be that for VR but not for normal games. Just take a look at the image I posted, it's way less than 2x over 980 in RottR and The Witcher III.

I bet it's just about 15-20% at most over a 980Ti.

I'm going to wait for benchmarks before purchasing either card. Really leaning towards the 1080 but that 1070 price is appealing as hell.

Durante

Question:

Nvidia CEO kept using "VR Performance" as comparison point. Is it higher because of the VR FPS-smoothing tech?
It's higher because Pascal can apparently render with up to 16 distinct projection matrices to 16 viewports in a single pass, which allows you to be significantly more efficient in VR rendering than you can on GPUs which can't do that.

Schnozberry

I'm just sitting here kind of stupefied letting it sink that a $379 card is faster than a Titan X. Seriously that's insane.

It's pretty great for PC gaming, especially once mobile Pascal rolls out. We'll see some thin and light laptops that are vastly more powerful than game consoles.

Renekton

It's higher because Pascal can apparently render with up to 16 distinct projection matrices to 16 viewports in a single pass, which allows you to be significantly more efficient in VR rendering than you can on GPUs which can't do that.
Ah thanks a lot.

I got confused earlier when he switched to the monster and FPS segment, didn't know it was the same multi-projection tech.

Schnozberry

It may be that for VR but not for normal games. Just take a look at the image I posted, it's way less than 2x over 980 in RottR and The Witcher III.

I bet it's just about 15-20% at most over a 980Ti.

Yep, a lot of the lofty performance numbers seem focused on VR and the removal of a second pass for multiple viewports. It's typical Nvidia PR jargon barf.

Odrion

Banned

Do the games have to be specifically coded to support that?

Durante

Ah thanks a lot.

I got confused earlier when he switched to the monster and FPS segment, didn't know it was the same multi-projection tech.
That segment was a demonstration of the performance gains you can achieve using that tech. (Of course, a sample which heavily biases into that technology's favour, but it's still really awesome in the real [VR] world)

Do the games have to be specifically coded to support that?
I assume that the engines have to be.

The good thing is, 90% of all VR games are built on 2 engines :p

Oxn

I think alot of people missed it cause the slide went by really fast but they are using DP 1.4, and totally skipping DP 1.3

Thats sick.

dr_rus

Less than I hoped performance wise but less than I thought price wise. I'll have to see how the OC editions will perform compared to 980TiOC to decide if I want to upgrade.

The chip is less complex than you could think from the die size. 2560 SPs is a really low number for a chip of 7.2B of transistors though - I wonder if the FP64 performance is kept at 1/2 FP32 like in GP100?

9TFlops is a nice figure for a stock clocks though - +50% to TitanX. If the card will be able to OC to 2100MHz on factory OC models that'd bump the pure math power to 10.75 TFlops. Not bad for what is a lower high end card.

1070 on the other hand gets quite a decimation with 6.5 TFlops. If the clocks will be roughly the same (which they're likely to be judging from 970 vs 980) they'll have to chop nearly 1/3 of the chip off to get there. So I'm thinking - 1920 SPs on ~1.7GHz? Seems like quite a salvage there but for $379 I don't think that anyone would mind.

As for the proper benchmarks - I'm guessing on May 27th? Still don't see why they even announced the cards today tbh.

bbjvc

Does anyone in AU know normally how long it took for local stores to have it available after this release date?

Odrion

Banned
Less than I hoped performance wise but less than I thought price wise. I'll have to see how the OC editions will perform compared to 980TiOC to decide if I want to upgrade.

The chip is less complex than you could think from the die size. 2560 SPs is a really low number for a chip of 7.2B of transistors though - I wonder if the FP64 performance is kept at 1/2 FP32 like in GP100?

9TFlops is a nice figure for a stock clocks though - +50% to TitanX. If the card will be able to OC to 2100MHz on factory OC models that'd bump the pure math power to 10.75 TFlops. Not bad for what is a lower high end card.

1070 on the other hand gets quite a decimation with 6.5 TFlops. If the clocks will be roughly the same (which they're likely to be judging from 970 vs 980) they'll have to chop nearly 1/3 of the chip off to get there. So I'm thinking - 1920 SPs on ~1.7GHz? Seems like quite a salvage there but for $379 I don't think that anyone would mind.

As for the proper benchmarks - I'm guessing on May 27th? Still don't see why they even announced the cards today tbh.
Think of how tiny a 1070 card could be.

Think of all the tiny PCs.

Wow that is great news but now i'm in a tight spot. I ordered an HP pc with a 980ti for $1200 but it doesn't ship till Tuesday. Should I just cancel that and order a 1080 or will it most likely be sold out at launch?

Top Bottom