• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NVIDIA does $5 million deal with Ubisoft

Wag

Any details? £1000 is the point where I join the party.

2013-06-07-143310-cover@1x.jpg

Link

Wag

Where do I preorder?

Too soon. Last I heard they were working on including HDMI 2.0 into the monitor. It's supposed to be out sometime early next year. They have the 31" monitor out but that's based on a more expensive tech ($3500).

Sanjay

Are there any visual features that are going to be exclusive to AMD cards in BF4?

I seriously doubt the 4K worthy textures are gonna be locked to Nvidia cards for these Ubisoft games.

First they took special effects (PhysX) now there taking textures.

There going to be special textures.

Tenck

And they get 5m$ worth out of their program with EA and Ubisoft, how? To me it looks more of a waste. If half the kickstarters kick off and half of that half is good, it's still 25 new games to play.

P.S. I kind of understand AMD's motive, so ok, I will give that to them.. But Nvidia funding Ubi 5m$ for.. what? Artificial performance tweaks in Watch Dogs that inexplicably only work on Nvidia hardware? Shaders to purposefully handicap AMD?

I know this has been around since forever, but it has to stop.. It hurts everyone involved; IHVs, developers, consumers, everyone.

Well for one they get PC optimization for their 4k games.That's enough to get me to buy Assasins Creed and Watch Dogs on PC.

Since you're so concerned on what they get from funding multi-million dollar companies, explain to me how'd they benefit from funding kickstarter campaings?

Morzak

Right, but tech doesn't just suddenly appear in a mainstream product for a cheap price out of nowhere. It arrives at the enthusiast level first, then becomes mainstream when the price gets low enough. This is aimed squarely at enthusiasts. You won't even get 4k in mainstream gaming next-next gen, let alon this one.

Naturally, Now is enthusiast time, and that's why it would be a waste of resources for many people at this time. And yes we will need 4K+ @120hz to drive solutions like the Oculus Rift in the future, we maybe even will need 8k displays to make the experience seemless..... The problem at the moment there is a lot of marketing speak but the performance increase at the is relatively small, 20 nm seems unlikely for the next generations of cards, so big performance increase aren't coming soon, especially if AMD can't really push Nvidia when it comes to performace. Also not a big fan of "Mantle", the risk of having games that only run decently on one of the brands is just not very appealing.

Personally I'm not a fan of Multi GPU solutions, so I will not join the 4K club until there is a decently priced card that can produce decent Framerates on a 4k Display.

Kurdel

Banned
The screenshots will be of a eyeball-melting quality and every one of them will be posted with your brand of hardware attached.

This will be worth far more than your deal with Ubisoft and for a far smaller price.

I second this proposition.

We should start a petition for Dennis to get a battlebox!

IT Slave

Banned
This isn't new. It's a play to get better benchmark scores than ATi cards. I hope reviewers sniff this out and refuse to use games with these platform-specific hooks for benchmarks.

It's disgusting and an insult to the intelligence of PC gamers.

not sure if this is possible anymore, but can't we install two different GPUs (AMD and nVIDIA) and switch between the two depending on game?

Whatever that cost would be, you would always be better off getting 2 cards for the same price and doing SLI. Or combining the money and getting the most powerful card you can with the money.

AMD made the better deal IMO. BF4 will probably see a lot more pc gamers and for a longer period of time then ubisoft's offerings.

Wag

Tasty. No mention of a 31 inch version anywhere? I mainly just want a really high ppi.

Also, it just struck me as really odd that TV's and monitors are still measured in inches...

You want the 31" one? You can order it now HERE. It will cost you $3500 for the privilege though.

hoserx

not sure if this is possible anymore, but can't we install two different GPUs (AMD and nVIDIA) and switch between the two depending on game?

sure you could do that, but it'd require disabling hardware, switching plugs in the back of your cards, etc...... but it's definitely doable if you have the cash.......I'd just buy another card of whatever you have (nvidia or amd) and SLI/Crossfire instead to negate the differences you may encounter in certain games......

KoopaTheCasual

The bad thing about 4k is that it is too good.

Eh, I'm inclined to agree. On TV's 4k is practically useless for how demanding the tech is. Waste of an investment to the mass market, who won't care too much. Now, for VR, 4k is essential and a necessary step. So I'm cool with the advancements to the tech, just I hope they take it in the right direction.

Silly Nvidia.

Nvidia, if you give me one of your new Battleboxes including a 4K monitor and a lump sum of US$50,000 I will over the next two years post screenshots all over the internet of the latest PC games running on your hardware.

The screenshots will be of a eyeball-melting quality and every one of them will be posted with your brand of hardware attached.

This will be worth far more than your deal with Ubisoft and for a far smaller price.

untitled-28190k0h.gif

Lolololo, why on earth would NVIDIA donate 5 mil to freaking Kickstarter games, that makes absolutely no sense

This is par for the course, though. Not surprising. Fun though! I'll gladly play in 4K...in 2018

Abounder

Banned
Sounds like there will be bundles and cheap serial keys for these games which is the only real consumer advantage I see here

Mrbob

ugh 4K gaming?

I'll settle for 1080p, just give me 60FPS, good AA and bigger scope, better modeling, better effects.

4K is a waste of resources IMO.

I think optimization for 4K is a good thing. Means the improvements will filter down and performance should beast at 1080P.

I wish the card manufactures would spend this sort of money to bump up games to triple A status instead of dumping more money on already triple A games.

I also wish they would give money to devs that actually need it instead of dumping money on Ubisoft and EA who can afford to do this on their own.

I realize this is so that both card manufactures can have a showcase mainstream title for their respective card and code but a man can dream.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
What was the problem with Batman AA?

Did it run bad on AMD cards or something?
It had Physx and MSAA options in the options menu for Nvidia.

The first was poorly implemented and worthless (classic Physx). The other was side stepped by forcing it externally.

inherendo

Nvidia isn't desperate. They have the larger share and I believe it's been increasing for years. This is what both companies do often. Not a fan of this practice, but it's the norm.

So does that mean that each game gimps the other gpu on purpose? 5 million is a good enough reason to do so.

Not so much as gimp, but code with a specific architecture in mind. This can cause problems with the competitor's cards. Also prevent the companies from updating drivers by giving game code late.

Just remembered this, same site: http://web.archive.org/web/20100329040919/http://www.fudzilla.com/content/view/15593/1

According to our industry sources, the creators and publishers of Dirt 2 received quite big chunk of cash to make the game DirectX 11 capable.

Don’t expect any miracles, as developers will only get some minor things enabled and knowing how desperate the gaming industry is these days, they gladly accepted the opportunity to get some free cash for exchange for a few effects in DirectX 11.

ATI desperately need to push the sales of its heavily overpriced DirectX 11 cards that are supposed to launch on September 23rd (two days from press time) and having games such as Dirt 2 and Stalker 2 might help.

The trouble is that Dirt comes only after DirectX 11 official launch which is Windows 7 launch set for October 23rd and our sources have told that Dirt might actually be pushed back at least for December, leaving ATI hanging in there until the launch.

"Industry sources".

Dennis

Banned
ugh 4K gaming?

I'll settle for 1080p, just give me 60FPS, good AA and bigger scope, better modeling, better effects.

That argument makes no sense in the context of PC gaming.

In a fixed console platform you could argue that 4K is a waste and the GPU power should be devoted to pushing prettier 1080p worth of pixels instead but for PC the sky is the limit.

Let people buy US$ 6000 rigs and play at 4K with 60 fps if they want to.

ugh 4K gaming?

erm I don't see why anyone would need to invest 5 million dollars so that they can just render the game in higher resolution. it's literally like a few seconds of tweaking.

homulilly

Banned
ugh 4K gaming?

That would take more work and couldn't be as easily distilled into a bullet point on a box though...

LCGeek

formerly sane
People like dennis are gonna start having a nvidia computer and amd computer for different games in order to get the best graphics possible.

If you can why not?

It's not like amd, nivida, and MS are going to do the right thing which is grow up and make a fucking low level api that all them can benefit from. Only alternative is that both amd and nvidia invest in the games themselves and help developers ensure their api's get support. Neither of what I mentioned is likely going to happen.

Gamers should start responding in kind but we are too concerned with playing games to get invested in the politics of performance and the like.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ugh 4K gaming?

If we're talking about computational resources, I think it's only a waste if you drop framerates and use slow LCD tech to get to 4k, because the judder and motion artifacts degrade the image to the point where the benefit is lost. Otherwise, if people feel the cost for 4k gaming is justified then that's their business. I personally don't at the moment but it's good that people have that choice.

Top Bottom