• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia extends it's market share in gaming GPU sales thanks to the Super series.

Leonidas

Good to see the Super Series selling well.
The Nvidia Super Series really turned things around IMO as they are a much better value than the original series that launched in 2018. Even the non-Super series has become a bit better value compared to launch.

Surprised to see AMD % go down Q/Q. This is Navi launch quarter. So many people were hyping Navi here on this forum yet by the numbers Navi is doing worse than the aging Polaris did alone last quarter, in terms of market share...

SantaC

Good to see the Super Series selling well.
The Nvidia Super Series really turned things around IMO as they are a much better value than the original series that launched in 2018. Even the non-Super series has become a bit better value compared to launch.

Surprised to see AMD % go down Q/Q. This is Navi launch quarter. So many people were hyping Navi here on this forum yet by the numbers Navi is doing worse than the aging Polaris did alone last quarter, in terms of market share...
Because amd has 5700 on the market and thats it.

Once 5900 is out it will be interesting

Leonidas

Because amd has 5700 on the market and thats it.

Once 5900 is out it will be interesting

If 5700 series sees them lose market share Q/Q I don't see how 5900 could do any better.
Unless it's out very soon and has 2080 Ti performance at $700. But I'll believe that only when I see it, and even then, a $700 card will not improve market share that much.

And looking on the low end, 5500 series launches next month but was already pre-empted by Super GTX series which according to reviews that are already out, the Super series has the advantage there too.

Let's face it, the only time the GPU market will be interesting again is when Intel joins the fray next year, or when Nvidia releases a new world's most powerful GPU. Both of these things happen next year. AMD is still playing catch up to Turing.

Last edited:
Who's their competition? Intel?

AMD isn't even more than 20% of the market they are way behind, Nvidia is basically by itself unless you include Intel in the statistics.

It's sad that such overpriced cards are selling well.
I want competition from amd so that nvidia is forced to lower prices.

How about new competition instead of a duopoly? Like in the 90's? The only reason why AMD prices are relatively lower outside of their flagships is because they don't have a choice. If AMD ever gains ground both will be overpriced.

How about new competition instead of a duopoly? Like in the 90's? The only reason why AMD prices are relatively lower outside of their flagships is because they don't have a choice. If AMD ever gains ground both will be overpriced.
I'm all for a more competitors in the gpu segment. But who can produce gpu's on the similar performance level as the big 2? Intel maybe, but else?

Ascend

This is Navi launch quarter.
Which is exactly why the numbers won't yet reflect its results. The AIB models are doing well, while the reference card didn't do as well simply because it was hotter and louder than people liked. I'm quite sure the Q4 results will look quite a bit different. Look how the Amazon best-sellers look right now;

R4hP59H.png

The 5700 did nothing? I was not expecting that.

Guess AMD will need a Ryzen-like event for their GPUs.
The 5700 is a mid range card released more than a year after the Nvidia equivalents, with no ray tracing and numerous complaints about the drivers at launch. It was never going to do anything except exist. AMD needs a top-end halo GPU product and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Ryzen is amazing but AMD graphics is still a dumpster fire.

Ascend

The 5700 is a mid range card released more than a year after the Nvidia equivalents, with no ray tracing and numerous complaints about the drivers at launch. It was never going to do anything except exist. AMD needs a top-end halo GPU product and that's not likely to happen anytime soon.

Ryzen is amazing but AMD graphics is still a dumpster fire.
Is that why the 5700 is the #1 bestseller on Amazon with the 5700XT being at #9, while the only RTX graphics card in the top 10 is the RTX 2060 at #7? Where are all the other RTX cards if ray tracing is such a huge selling point?

AMD released two cards, and both of them are in the top 10 of best selling graphics cards. How many ray tracing cards did nVidia release? nVidia is doing well in spite of ray tracing. Not because of it. People are obviously buying the 1660 cards more than anything else.

Reallink

If 5700 series sees them lose market share Q/Q I don't see how 5900 could do any better.
Unless it's out very soon and has 2080 Ti performance at $700. But I'll believe that only when I see it, and even then, a $700 card will not improve market share that much.

And looking on the low end, 5500 series launches next month but was already pre-empted by Super GTX series which according to reviews that are already out, the Super series has the advantage there too.

Let's face it, the only time the GPU market will be interesting again is when Intel joins the fray next year, or when Nvidia releases a new world's most powerful GPU. Both of these things happen next year. AMD is still playing catch up to Turing.

Navi 56 and especially 64 will categorically surpass the 2080Ti in traditional rasterized performance (Raytracing I wouldn't be so sure of, though they are said to implement hardware acceleration) The 5700XT is already competitive with the OG 2080 and 2070 Super in several titles with only 40CU's, of course a 60% uptick in CU's is going to trounce the 2080Ti unless there's some fundamental flaw in Navi's design and how it scales. Unfortunately for AMD they won't be competing with a 2080Ti, Nvidia will preempt any announcement they make with teases of the 3XXX series, regardless of how close or far out they actually are.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
The Super series is what the 2xxx should have been at launch in both capabilities and price, Nvidia got greedy and paid the price. Hopefully lesson learned for the 3xxx. I have very high hopes for that generation.

Leonidas

The Super series is what the 2xxx should have been at launch in both capabilities and price, Nvidia got greedy and paid the price. Hopefully lesson learned for the 3xxx. I have very high hopes for that generation.

Paid what price? Nvidia dGPU market share has been 74-80% since Turing launch. In fact it was 80% in Q4 the month Turing launched. Nvidia was competing with themselves for a year. Now Navi is here and Nvidia is still basically competing with themselves in certain segments.

It's safe to say the 2080 Ti is the best selling $1200 GPU of all time as well. Sure, you can complain about the price but the fact of the matter is it launched over a year ago and it's still the fastest card you can buy at $1200 and is an absolute monster of a GPU.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Paid what price? Nvidia dGPU market share has been 74-80% since Turing launch. In fact it was 80% in Q4 the month Turing launched. Nvidia was competing with themselves for a year. Now Navi is here and Nvidia is still basically competing with themselves in certain segments.

It's safe to say the 2080 Ti is the best selling $1200 GPU of all time as well. Sure, you can complain about the price but the fact of the matter is it launched over a year ago and it's still the fastest card you can buy at $1200 and is an absolute monster of a GPU.

They underperformed in their recent financial reports and admitted they went too high price wise.

Quite frankly I don’t want to live in a world where a $1200 GPU is deemed successful enough to make another one. I think that price is scandalous.

Leonidas

They underperformed in their recent financial reports and admitted they went too high price wise.

Quite frankly I don’t want to live in a world where a $1200 GPU is deemed successful enough to make another one. I think that price is scandalous.

They were never going to match crypto inflated sales after that bubble burst. As long as they're 2 years ahead of AMD (on the high end) I don't see why they'd stop charging $1000-$1200 for the high end.

The 2080 Ti is the only RTX card that held it's value for over a year, that should tell you something...

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Like u need 2080 ti performance.

I rather have 1200 gpu that can run games on a single gpu on insane quality at fast framerate then the shitfest we had a few years ago with sli/crossfire to get any performance pushed forwards.

It's not like u need high performance hardware these days to run games. Even 6 year old gpu's run games perfectly fine today.

I had 3x 580's to get metro 2033 to run 30+ fps stable and needed atleast 2x for bf3 to run at 60+ fps stable.

That shit was awful.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Which is exactly why the numbers won't yet reflect its results. The AIB models are doing well, while the reference card didn't do as well simply because it was hotter and louder than people liked. I'm quite sure the Q4 results will look quite a bit different. Look how the Amazon best-sellers look right now;

R4hP59H.png
Well I'm sure Q4 will be similar.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Some of you guys need to chill. Constantly calling Nvidia overpriced while praising Amd for launching GPU's that match Nvidia's mid to low high end GPU's from a year earlier. Nvidia gives you the best technologie and performance available at that time and that comes at a price. Ofcourse the prices would be lower if Amd could make something similair performance wise and price them lower, but no they release GPU's a year later that match Nvidia's GPU's from a year earlier. Than you guys freak out because its 100$ cheaper lol, like no shit. Also alot of you mocked Nvidia for its ray tracing implementation while getting hyped for Amd's implementation that whe still haven't seen yet. nvidia is not 1 but 2 steps ahead of Amd right now just accept and move on. Always getting hyped about Amd's GPU but they where all let down compared to Nvidia's. Also here in Belgium the price difference between 5700XT and 2070 Super is 50$, one has ray tracing while the other don't, so i think whe now wich one is overpriced now right?

The other issue for AMD is that they had to launch multiple generations of 7nm GPU's to get the point where they could compete with Nvidia's midrange 12nm GPU's from a year ago.

When Nvidia gets to 7nm with Ampere it's going to be a slaughter. The only reason Nvidia has to lower prices at all is because they have reached a price point where people don't want to pay any further, not because of competition.

Solomeena

Banned

R4hP59H.png

I can't believe in 2019 that people are still trying to use Amazon as a bellwether of how things are trending.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
When Nvidia gets to 7nm with Ampere it's going to be a slaughter. The only reason Nvidia has to lower prices at all is because they have reached a price point where people don't want to pay any further, not because of competition.
Don’t be so sure that Ampere will drastically improve over Turing. Nvidia is doing a lot of new things and as Intel is proving with their 10nm CPUs shrinking the core can come at a cost of performance. Not to mention that Turing didn’t drastically improve over Pascal the way previous generations had.

No idea if that will happen, but take a deep breathe before you start counting your chickens.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
The other issue for AMD is that they had to launch multiple generations of 7nm GPU's to get the point where they could compete with Nvidia's midrange 12nm GPU's from a year ago.
The AMD GPU’s were aimed at a much lower price point and different market segment. They were not making $1,200 target designs. Next calling mobile chipsets from Qualcomm, Samsung, and Apple disappointing because only now they are matching performance of a Desktop Core i7 of several years ago?

So, if competition does not matter / influence their decisions, why should Ampere cards bring any slaughter at all instead of marginally faster, much cheaper to manufacture / same price for customers, much PR hyped products? Why should they push for a super high performance jump and lower prices for consumers if they have no competitor pressure as you argue?

Ascend

I can't believe in 2019 that people are still trying to use Amazon as a bellwether of how things are trending.
And what is your argument against that?

Some of you guys need to chill. Constantly calling Nvidia overpriced while praising Amd for launching GPU's that match Nvidia's mid to low high end GPU's from a year earlier. Nvidia gives you the best technologie and performance available at that time and that comes at a price. Ofcourse the prices would be lower if Amd could make something similair performance wise and price them lower, but no they release GPU's a year later that match Nvidia's GPU's from a year earlier. Than you guys freak out because its 100$ cheaper lol, like no shit. Also alot of you mocked Nvidia for its ray tracing implementation while getting hyped for Amd's implementation that whe still haven't seen yet. nvidia is not 1 but 2 steps ahead of Amd right now just accept and move on. Always getting hyped about Amd's GPU but they where all let down compared to Nvidia's. Also here in Belgium the price difference between 5700XT and 2070 Super is 50$, one has ray tracing while the other don't, so i think whe now wich one is overpriced now right?
The 5700XT is basically a 1080Ti. Some people are STILL recommending to get a 1080Ti over anything else, but somehow recommending a 5700XT is bad? Even though you practically get 1080 Ti performance, WITH a warranty, and 3 months of Xbox Game Pass.
nVidia released a card slower than a 1080Ti but charged the same for it with RTX as the excuse. And somehow you are trashing AMD for releasing a card as fast as the 1080Ti that is $100 cheaper?
You're touting RTX as the next great big thing. Did you do the same with Async compute? Rapid packed math? Radeon Anti-Lag? No? So what do you want to do? Openly keep touting RTX exposing your hypocrisy, or shutting up?

You nVidia fanboys are pathetic. It's the likes of you that not only have blind brand loyalty but also try to rally others into your unhealthy shallow short-sighted mentality that messes up the gaming industry. So don't F-ing tell me to chill, when your retarded decisions ultimately mess up my wallet.

People love to say nVidia is *Insert number here* steps ahead of AMD. How many steps was Intel ahead of AMD before Ryzen was released? Look how quickly things flipped around. And even if nVidia would be that far ahead, for the love of *insert whatever you want here* don't tout nVidia being so far ahead as something good. It is not. Do I really need to explain why?
But if you were looking further than the length of your nose you'd be able to make more conscious consumer decisions rather than wanting the next best thing at whatever the asking price is. Why does it even matter who has the fastest flag ship card? Did you buy a Titan RTX for $2500? No? Then you need to STFU about who has the fastest graphics card. And that counts for anyone that buys cards under ~$600. Don't be a hypocrite.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons

The 5700XT is basically a 1080Ti. Some people are STILL recommending to get a 1080Ti over anything else, but somehow recommending a 5700XT is bad? Even though you practically get 1080 Ti performance, WITH a warranty, and 3 months of Xbox Game Pass.
nVidia released a card slower than a 1080Ti but charged the same for it with RTX as the excuse. And somehow you are trashing AMD for releasing a card as fast as the 1080Ti that is $100 cheaper?
You're touting RTX as the next great big thing. Did you do the same with Async compute? Rapid packed math? Radeon Anti-Lag? No? So what do you want to do? Openly keep touting RTX exposing your hypocrisy, or shutting up?

You nVidia fanboys are pathetic. It's the likes of you that not only have blind brand loyalty but also try to rally others into your unhealthy shallow short-sighted mentality that messes up the gaming industry. So don't F-ing tell me to chill, when your retarded decisions ultimately mess up my wallet.

People love to say nVidia is *Insert number here* steps ahead of AMD. How many steps was Intel ahead of AMD before Ryzen was released? Look how quickly things flipped around. And even if nVidia would be that far ahead, for the love of *insert whatever you want here* don't tout nVidia being so far ahead as something good. It is not. Do I really need to explain why?
But if you were looking further than the length of your nose you'd be able to make more conscious consumer decisions rather than wanting the next best thing at whatever the asking price is. Why does it even matter who has the fastest flag ship card? Did you buy a Titan RTX for $2500? No? Then you need to STFU about who has the fastest graphics card. And that counts for anyone that buys cards under ~$600. Don't be a hypocrite.
First of im not being a fanboy of no fucking company, and secondly im even planning on getting a Amd cpu. Beside wtf are you mixing intel now in this, you just show how much fanboy that YOU are wich is ironic because you accuse me of being a fanboy. I owned GPU's from both companys but switched sinds 7970GHZ to Nvidia because after that it was all Nvidia who had the better GPU's. And you are dellusional if you think the 5700xt beat 1080ti, its not even close and the card that you said that was slower than 1080ti is actually faster lol
relative-performance_3840-2160.png

This card released in 2017 march just think about it. And you are the one that need to STFU, if you can't face it that Amd still lagging behind Nvidia than you have a mental problem. You are just as bad as those console warriors. Oh and if Amd can release a card that is stronger than the upcoming RTX 3 series and support ray tracing, believe me i wil be on of the first to buy them. I don't give a shit about bein royal to some company like some of you, i even plan to make a RTX 3 series gpu coupled with Amd Ryzen cpu build for next year when next gen arrives.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
First of im not being a fanboy of no fucking company, and secondly im even planning on getting a Amd cpu. Beside wtf are you mixing intel now in this, you just show how much fanboy that YOU are wich is ironic because you accuse me of being a fanboy. I owned GPU's from both companys but switched sinds 7970GHZ to Nvidia because after that it was all Nvidia who had the better GPU's. And you are dellusional if you think the 5700xt beat 1080ti, its not even close and the card that you said that was slower than 1080ti is actually faster lol

This card released in 2017 march just think about it. And you are the one that need to STFU, if you can't face it that Amd still lagging behind Nvidia than you have a mental problem. You are just as bad as those console warriors. Oh and if Amd can release a card that is stronger than the upcoming RTX 3 series and support ray tracing, believe me i wil be on of the first to buy them. I don't give a shit about bein royal to some company like some of you, i even plan to make a RTX 3 series gpu coupled with Amd Ryzen cpu build for next year when next gen arrives.

You call that a win?! In 2019, nVIDIA’s Titan is still quite behind Oak Ridge’s 2013 Titan, I bet the latter smokes your RTX card... not to talk about the slaughter its follow-up, Oak Ridge’s Frontier, will bring next.

Last edited:

SantaC

Intel has raja koduri. He isnt interested in highend graphics.

Dont get your hopes up.

I don't care about market share. All i care about is being able to play my games at 4k max settings, somthing AMD can't deliver.
That is great for the 1%. Meanwhile, the rest of the gamers just want good games to release and midrange hardware that runs and look good on 5 year old TVs and 1080p / 1440p monitors.

PhoenixTank

Being fair, a large proportion of the reason Intel is in their current situation is the way things have played out with their fabs vs TSMC et al. AMD & Nvidia, however, can happily choose from the same pool of foundries, negating an advantage until one of them can make MCM GPUs work, allowing for good yields on newer, immature nodes.

I don't really see much point in "keeping score" these days though some are still keen to do so. When node changes were rapid, significant and saved costs it was a clear indicator of a difference, or advantage to come.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
This exactly. I kept my 1080 because the jump in performance relative to cost wasn't worth it. As much as I love ray tracing I'll wait and see what the 3000 series offers.

llien

Welp:

7fv5gP1.png

1) NV down y/y
2) For non-5700 cusotmers it makes sense to wait for 7nm products (be it lower or high end)
3) 5700 sells like hotcakes, AMD's share going down after Navi release makes no sense
4) See #1

When Nvidia gets to 7nm with Ampere it's going to be...
Laughably pricey.
People keep forgetting that 5700 is a 250mm2 chip that competes with NV's 550mm2 chips.

The 5700 is a mid range card released more than a year after the Nvidia equivalents
Now, one wouldn't need to drop price and release bigger chip versions, had it been "equivalent", I'd dare suggest.

Last edited:

lukilladog

It seems to be faster in DX12 and Vulkan, in RDR2 up to 33%:

Bolivar687

Banned
I don't care about market share. All i care about is being able to play my games at 4k max settings, somthing AMD can't deliver.

Then I'm totally right there with you - AMD has nothing to offer on that end. I own a 1080 myself because AMD had nothing to offer to compete with Pascal and I haven't really seen a reason to upgrade in the years since.

I just don't get the desperation to constantly appeal to business statistics and milestones.

Solomeena

Banned

Your whole post is cringe worthy. Not even going to respond to an AMD super fanboy such as yourself. You won't listen to reason what so ever. Have a good day.

You really should fucking chill though..

It's about time you start blaming AMD for being unable to compete with Nvidia when it really matters to drive prices down and for allowing them to run uncontested for so long... People aren't going to just sit around waiting for AMD to finally compete... they buy Nvidia GPUs and become attached to the brand in the mean time. It's not Nvidia's fault that AMD goes a year+ without a proper response to anything.

Then a year and a half later you get AMD fanboys bragging that they're caught up and cheaper.... lmao.. yea.. coming a year later and with less features does usually mean cheaper products.

RTX is a fundamental change to the way visuals are rendered... how light and physics works in a game... not exactly the same as Async compute, RPM, Anti-lag.... which are all things Nvidia already supports on their newest GPUs anyway and aren't exactly fundamental shifts in technologies.

If AMD wants my business, they have to compete in the present. They literally have had no answer in the high end for years.. By the time they actually DO compete... Nvidia will release new GPUs which perform better, have more features, and justify the higher price than AMD's offerings.

You like buying GPUs with less features and similar performance a year later for $100 less... then that's YOU. Don't blame others for driving up prices.. blame AMD.

Last edited:

thelastword

Banned
It's so amazing to me how Nvidia fans care more about market share than they do about value.
Maybe they have stock in Intel…….
What's wrong with Amazon? Amazon is a juggernaut in the worldspace, everybody buys at Amazon from around the world.......I have not bought a piece of electronics from a brick and mortar in years.........You bet you right now is the right time to use Amazon for stats, because everyone and their grandmother is ordering online...

Top Bottom