• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia gaming laptops will be “largest game console in the world” says Jen-Hsun.

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Nvidia’s CEO, Jen-Hsun Huang, believes the continued success and growth of Nvidia gaming laptops effectively means they’re akin to “a new game console,” and if the graphics card company’s success continues with Turing and further GPU generations, gaming notebooks will become “the largest game console in the world.”

“…the amount of notebook sales and the success of Nintendo Switch has really changed the profile of our overall gaming business,” Huang says during Nvidia’s Q4 earnings call (via Seeking Alpha). “Our notebook business, as Colette mentioned earlier, has seen double-digit growth for eight consecutive quarters, and this is unquestionably a new gaming category. Like it’s a new game console. This is going to be the largest game console in the world I believe.”

Nvidia’s head honcho believes gaming laptops will outrank the Xbox, PS4, and Nintendo Switch as the largest “game console” platform worldwide.

“…the reason for that is because there are more people with laptops than there are of any other device,” Huang continues. “And so the fact that we’ve been able to get RTX into a thin and light notebook is really a breakthrough. And it’s one of the reasons why we’re seeing such great success in notebook.”

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
I had a gaming capable laptop in 2004 as a grad student. It was cool to be able to game in my office. I could have hooked it up to my TV too, but the VGA + RCA connection was a hassle. As was the low support in games from controllers. Today the last 2 issues are non issues.

Bottom line, if you need a laptop, like to game and want to balance cost and utility, a gaming laptop is a great choice.

DESTROYA

While a love my Lenovo Legion laptop and do most of my gaming on it I don’t think it can be considered a console.

Reallink

I just bought my dad a "gaming" laptop for his basic email and office work cause it was effectively the same price as all the other budget iGPU solutions. $399 for a 3550H, 1050Ti, 8GB, and 256 SSD. AMD has significantly lowered the price floor on lower end gaming laptops, which I think is what Jen would be referring to here, not $1500+ "desktop class" gaming laptops. The expensive gaming laptops will forever be a niche of a niche of a niche sold almost exclusively to wealthy traveling executives and professional tech pundits/journalists. They're simply a terrible value in terms of price and performance for both your everyday gamer and general computer user.

Last edited:

VFXVeteran

Banned
I think the gist of it is that it's a closed box system that will be more powerful than the next-gen consoles and can play all the PC games (which is much more than any of the consoles). He has a point, but it will depend on his target future hardware. The laptops would have to shrink a lot in costs.

Pfft... never.
yNQs1pP.jpg

Last edited:

wolffy71

Banned
I'm not sure he meant more people will view it as a console so much as he meant more people will own and be capable of playing games on it. More of a device that can potentially play video games as well as a console

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Is this hyping up gaming laptops? I think the power of gaming computers/laptops sells itself.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Release a X080TI GPU for less than 600 and we can talk. Otherwise fuck off with your PR bullshit Nvidia

Pejo

CEO says his product will be the largest and most successful.

well...shit.
giphy.gif

I think once the tech for TB3 GPU enclosures improves, he could be right. I was tempted to buy one when I just upgraded my PC, but there are still too many bottlenecks.

Top Bottom