• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Padinn

So I managed to snag a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Premium Edition from Amazon today when they were instock for like 90 seconds. Any consensus on this card? Seems like it is comparable to the ASUS Strix OC.

dr_rus

So I managed to snag a Gigabyte GTX 1080 Xtreme Premium Edition from Amazon today when they were instock for like 90 seconds. Any consensus on this card? Seems like it is comparable to the ASUS Strix OC.

It's one of the fastest and quietest 1080s out there. The difference between them isn't big.

Newboi

This card is absolutely AMAZING! It's crazy being able to absolutely max out my games without a care in the world.

Does anyone use DSR here? If so, what's the optimal smoothness setting? I'm not a fan of it so far as the image is overally softened even at 15% smoothness. The image quality of my games looked much better when I used custom resolutions instead of DSR.

Edit: Is anyone else having some framerate inconsistencies with Doom under Vulkan? The FPS counter is pretty much pegged above 60 fps, but I notice some slowdown at times. I'm using DSR at 4K to 1080p currently.

This card is absolutely AMAZING! It's crazy being able to absolutely max out my games without a care in the world.

Does anyone use DSR here? If so, what's the optimal smoothness setting? I'm not a fan of it so far as the image is overally softened even at 15% smoothness. The image quality of my games looked much better when I used custom resolutions instead of DSR.

Edit: Is anyone else having some framerate inconsistencies with Doom under Vulkan? The FPS counter is pretty much pegged above 60 fps, but I notice some slowdown at times. I'm using DSR at 4K to 1080p currently.

Vulkan runs up to 25% slower on nvidia when gpu limited. I wouldnt reccomend it unless you spend a lot of time cpu limited

The Premium Pack is notable for the breakout box that gives you front-panel HDMI and USB 3.0 ports for connecting a VR headset.

Beyond that, it's a great 1080. The STRIX is notable for the AURA RGB LEDs but if you don't care about that, the Xtreme is quieter and cooler.

Use OpenGL on Nvidia, it's superior to Vulkan right now. Supposedly the DOOM developers are working on actual Vulkan optimizations for Nvidia but who knows when that will happen. You will probably have finished DOOM long before that happens.

Padinn

The Premium Pack is notable for the breakout box that gives you front-panel HDMI and USB 3.0 ports for connecting a VR headset.

Beyond that, it's a great 1080. The STRIX is notable for the AURA RGB LEDs but if you don't care about that, the Xtreme is quieter and cooler.

Use OpenGL on Nvidia, it's superior to Vulkan right now. Supposedly the DOOM developers are working on actual Vulkan optimizations for Nvidia but who knows when that will happen. You will probably have finished DOOM long before that happens.

I plan to get VR early next year if I can, the brekout box sounds handy. Think I made the right choice :)

Is it really woth a $70-80(AUS) difference between the stock EVGA 1080 ACX 3.0 and the FTW 1080? How about the SC 1080? I have a i7 6700 CPU and don't plan on overclocking.

MuchoMalo

Banned
So, JayzTwoCents posted an OC guide for Pascal, and it really works. Seriously, try it. You will get a higher OC than could without doing this. It also dispels the myth that temps don't matter at all with Pascal. As your temps rise, the voltage the GPU runs at falls, which affects your GPU's clock and stability. There are clear benefits to lower temps and thus better coolers and watercooling. The sweet spot seems to be around 50C if you want to hit the max voltage as often as possible. Watercooling may well just about guarantee 2100MHz or higher.

I know I posted this exact post elsewhere, but I think it summed up point well.

Newboi

So, JayzTwoCents posted an OC guide for Pascal, and it really works. Seriously, try it. You will get a higher OC than could without doing this. It also dispels the myth that temps don't matter at all with Pascal. As your temps rise, the voltage the GPU runs at falls, which affects your GPU's clock and stability. There are clear benefits to lower temps and thus better coolers and watercooling. The sweet spot seems to be around 50C if you want to hit the max voltage as often as possible. Watercooling may well just about guarantee 2100MHz or higher.

I watched this vid the other day. I'll definitely be following his guide soon.

I just wanted to reiterate though, the 1080 is an absolute BEAST of a card! Man, going from SLI GTX 670 2GBs to this is like a night and day difference. I just feel kind of sad that my 4.4 GHz Core i7 3770K is bottlenecking it lol.

dr_rus

Got bored.

flYb.jpg

Way less bored
and rich
now.

Newboi

Got bored.

flYb.jpg

Way less bored
and rich
now.

Wait, so are you SLI'ing those? One card looks like it's wider than the other. How will that work?

I'm slightly jealous though. You definitely have a benchmark killer there.

Edit: Does anyone here use MFAA? Is it bad to just force it on all games that support MSAA?

dr_rus

Wait, so are you SLI'ing those? One card looks like it's wider than the other. How will that work?

I'm slightly jealous though. You definitely have a benchmark killer there.

Edit: Does anyone here use MFAA? Is it bad to just force it on all games that support MSAA?

Gigabyte is my old 980Ti, I've just made a group photo =)

Can't say that I'm impressed by the temperatures on the new card but it sure is quiet.

As for MSAA - you really should enable it only for those games where you feel like using it. Forcing it globally should work but this way you will get MFAA in every DX10/DX11 game and this may lead to some issues like artifacts on screenshots.

Dave_6

Think I'm about to jump on a 1080. I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte G1 and the EVGA FTW; which one is 'better'? There's only a ~$20 difference between the two on Amazon.

Newboi

Think I'm about to jump on a 1080. I'm leaning towards the Gigabyte G1 and the EVGA FTW; which one is 'better'? There's only a ~$20 difference between the two on Amazon.

This is more of a preference thing tbh. If you are more concerned about the out of box experience as opposed to overclocking potential, then you will mainly just need to determine if the card aesthetics, reviewed acoustics, and out of box clocks warrant the price you're paying.

If you are overclocking, both the G1 and EVGA FTW have great coolers. I believe you'll be more limited by the silicon lottery by what overclocks you can sustain on air.

Personally though, I'm partial to the EVGA FTW since that's what I have lol. Their customer support is great as well.

They thankfully issued a few patches and I'm pretty happy with OCX right now. Profiles are saved, LED config is now stored in the BIOS (it seems) so no more need to run OCX if you only do that, no more random boot ups of the OC scanner.
If only MSI, EVGA etc would do away from these game-y UIs, they are horrible all together.

Just wanted to say that yes, this is the only thing EVGA OCX is good for: setting the gpu colors.

Dave_6

This is more of a preference thing tbh. If you are more concerned about the out of box experience as opposed to overclocking potential, then you will mainly just need to determine if the card aesthetics, reviewed acoustics, and out of box clocks warrant the price you're paying.

If you are overclocking, both the G1 and EVGA FTW have great coolers. I believe you'll be more limited by the silicon lottery by what overclocks you can sustain on air.

Personally though, I'm partial to the EVGA FTW since that's what I have lol. Their customer support is great as well.

Thanks. I'm leaning towards EVGA because of their customer service that I've read so much about. Too bad when I went back on Amazon a couple hours later, they had sold their remaining stock and the price has gone up $150 (on the FTW). Guess I will keep waiting.

Why the hate for OCX and why is Afterburner so much better?

I find the later works far easier with RivaTuner which is essential for me and I find the menus in Afterburner easier to navigate. Just from a user-friendliness perspective I prefer Afterburner. Just feels more efficient.

Newboi

Ok, so I currently have my FTW's power target set to 120% and have a 100Mhz offset core overclock and 200Mhz Memory overclock (I'm thinking of shooting for 400Mhz here). I ran the Uningine Heaven benchmark for multiple runs, and ran the Time Spy Stress Test and got a 99.5 percent stability rating. It's awesome seeing my Boost Clock shoot over 2110Mhz. The base clocks sits at 2050 solid! My temps never went over 76C with the stock automatic fan curve and that's just because the RPM ramp is a little slow. When I had the fan speed manually set to 80%, I don't believe I saw my temps go above 64C.

Has anyone tried adjusting the voltage target on their EVGA card? I haven't touched mine yet as I'm slightly fearful. JayzTwoCentz made it seem like adjusting that slider to max in Precision OCX wasn't that big of a deal.

paskowitz

Good overclocked "old" silicon (in a custom loop) punches right there with stock new silicon.

FIrestrike: Puts me in the upper 50% of 6700K/1080 scores and 71st among 4790k/980 Ti's.

FS Ultra: Puts me in the upper 50% of 6700K/1080 scores and 17st among 4790k/980 Ti's.

Timespy: Puts me in the upper 50% of 6700K/1080 scores and also17st among 4790k/980 Ti's.

Now, in game performance things get a little worse, especially as time goes on. But as good as Pascal is, I can't but help appreciate Maxwell, for what is was and now is, more.

I just ordered one of these puppies. Figured I might as well get on relatively early since this card probably will last at least 2 years for 1440p gaming.

After much back and forth I went with the Asus Strix 1080 Advanced. It's slightly lower clocked than the OC, but nothing that I can't OC manually. Here's to hoping there's no coil whine.

Padinn

Any good rumors as to when a 1080 ti might show up? Since im looking to do VR next year I wonder if I should wait longer. It seems like the 1080 is in good shape for it now.

Newboi

Any good rumors as to when a 1080 ti might show up? Since im looking to do VR next year I wonder if I should wait longer. It seems like the 1080 is in good shape for it now.

Well the 1080 gets an 11 on the Steam VR benchmark. I'm not sure if the Benchmark goes higher currently. VR is a moving target though, as display technology gets better, the requirements will go up (4K per eye, then 8K, then 16K...at least I assume so).

Edit: As for the 1080ti, no one knows when or if it will be announced. Until production streamlines and demand evens out, the current pricing structure for Pascal cards makes it hard to properly fit a 1080ti in the mix. With 1080s regularly selling for at or over $800 and the Titan X selling for $1200, the 1080ti will become less appealing as it will end up selling really close in price to the Titan X.

Edit 2: I've been Stress testing and benchmarking my 1080FTW and I thought I had it completely rock stable at a 100Mhz core offset and 500Mhz memory offset. I ran Unigine for about 20 minutes and ran the Time Spy Stress Test multiple times. I loaded Up the Firestrike Ultra benchmark, and display driver crash lol. It seems that Firestrike Ultra was really sensitive to my gpu core overclock offset. I had to dial it back to 85Mhz for the Firestrike Ultra bench to actually complete.

I made a post about this not too long ago.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1263759

The articles that I link to are very good reads about how VR works and the performance of Pascal in VR.

The 1080 is great for current VR titles but who knows what will happen down the road. Even now, VR implementation is still in it's infancy, for example the highly touted SMP (Simultaneous Multi-Projection) and Single-Pass Stereo aren't even implemented yet.

Grassy

i overclocked my 1080 Founders last night and hit 2114MHz and 1377MHz on the ram with the new Afterburner beta software. temp hits 80 degrees under full load so i just ordered the EVGA Hybrid cooler for her.
http://www.evga.com/Products/Product.aspx?pn=400-HY-5188-B1
re ran my 3d mark time spy and on all original clocks i got 6568. after OC'ing my CPU and 1080 i pumped out 7408. can't be mad at that

You won't be disappointed with the Hybrid cooler. I installed them on my reference 980 Ti's and the temps dropped by ~20-30 degrees under load. I also removed the stock fan and installed some Noctua fans in push-pull configuration, which are pretty much silent.

I'd also recommend removing the EVGA thermal paste off the heatsink and putting on some Gelid Extreme(or other good compound), which I found improved temps by another ~5 degrees Celsius.

dr_rus

Nothing solid. There's a good chance that nothing between 1080 and Titan X will show up until Vega launches. And in that case I would probably just wait for Volta instead of getting such 1080Ti.

taoofjord

So I picked up a Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming card and when I use the default fan curve the card idles at 50C which is where the fan kicks in. Is this something I should bother trying to fix? I see that typical idle temperature for the card is about 45 and potentially quite a bit lower.

Specs:

Gigabyte Z97X-SLI-CF
Intel i5-4690K @ 3.50GHz
G.Skill 16GB DDR3 RAM
Case: Zalman Z12 Plus
EVGA NEX 750B
Corsair Liquid CPU Cooler (don't know the model)
Windows 10 64-Bit

Also, is it worth it to upgrade my CPU right now? How much of a bottleneck is my CPU? Or perhaps I should look into overclocking it?

I use my PC for VR and gaming on a 1080p TV (though I'd like to now downsample)

Piggus

This makes my future purchase of an EVGA Hybrid kit (when it's available for the FTW) much easier.

chinoXL

You won't be disappointed with the Hybrid cooler. I installed them on my reference 980 Ti's and the temps dropped by ~20-30 degrees under load. I also removed the stock fan and installed some Noctua fans in push-pull configuration, which are pretty much silent.

I'd also recommend removing the EVGA thermal paste off the heatsink and putting on some Gelid Extreme(or other good compound), which I found improved temps by another ~5 degrees Celsius.

you wasn't lying about the temps. before i would top off around 80 degrees overclocked under load. now with the Hybrid cooler it hasn't gone over 51 degrees under load. well worth the money!!!

dr_rus

Since this was a popular question back at launch:
The latest NVIDIA game bundle launches today. Start a fight in Epic Games’ new MOBA, Paragon with the GAME READY pack. Free for anyone that purchases a GeForce GTX 1080, 1070, 1060, 980 Ti, 980, 970 or GeForce GTX 10-series laptops. $115 of in-game essentials help you hone your skills and look good on the battlefield of Agora.
Nvidia launches new Game Bundle with Paragon

Thread worthy maybe?

Marmelade

Gigabyte is my old 980Ti, I've just made a group photo =)

Can't say that I'm impressed by the temperatures on the new card but it sure is quiet.

As for MSAA - you really should enable it only for those games where you feel like using it. Forcing it globally should work but this way you will get MFAA in every DX10/DX11 game and this may lead to some issues like artifacts on screenshots.

What temps are you getting?
The Palit/Gainward cooler performed really well (temp and noise wise) in the reviews I read so it's a little surprising

Stevey

Got an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW the other day.
Really pleased with it, runs at 2012mhz out the box, but sometimes when I launch MSI afterburner the fans run at full speed for a second then return to normal.
Temps and fan speed are normal according to Afterburner.
Any ideas?

dr_rus

What temps are you getting?
The Palit/Gainward cooler performed really well (temp and noise wise) in the reviews I read so it's a little surprising

With a full constant unlimited load I'm easily reaching 82-83C and after some minutes there the cooler becomes somewhat audible. GPU is hovering around 1936MHz at this point. Maybe this particular cooler isn't very good in my particular case. Or maybe it's just summer.

Most reviews are done on an open stands in a temperature controlled environments. I'm always adding 5-10C to whatever I see in reviews as in my experience this is closer to what I'll be getting in real life.

With a full constant unlimited load I'm easily reaching 82-83C and after some minutes there the cooler becomes somewhat audible. GPU is hovering around 1936MHz at this point. Maybe this particular cooler isn't very good in my particular case. Or maybe it's just summer.

Most reviews are done on an open stands in a temperature controlled environments. I'm always adding 5-10C to whatever I see in reviews as in my experience this is closer to what I'll be getting in real life.

Even adding 5-10C to the reviews for these cards should bring you far lower than what you're getting. My own Gainward typically stays around 67 degrees during gameplay, but on very, very rare occasions I've seen it go up to 75 degrees under extreme, long-lasting pressure. The only way I'd be able to push it above 80 would be by overclocking it to its limit, and my card comes overclocked out of the box.

Desaan

Got an EVGA GTX 1080 FTW the other day.
Really pleased with it, runs at 2012mhz out the box, but sometimes when I launch MSI afterburner the fans run at full speed for a second then return to normal.
Temps and fan speed are normal according to Afterburner.
Any ideas?

Are you using the new beta version of AB? That supports the newer cards.

Pakesaker

I purchased an Asus Strix 1080 about a month ago and have noticed that it idles between 50-55c. However, it still stays in the 60-75c while playing very demanding games. I have read that it is because I run a 144hz monitor (DisplayPort) and a second monitor 60hz (DVI) and that when using this setup the card does not downclock during idle. Any experience or advice releated to this?

The rest of my setup is:

i7-6700K at stock
Cryorig H5 Universal with Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Paste
Gigabyte GA-Z170X Gaming 7
Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR4-3200
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB
Western Digital Black 5TB
OCZ FirePower ZX 850W 80+ Gold (Reused from previous build)
MasterCase Maker 5
Asus VH226H
Asus VG248QE
Windows 10 Pro

dr_rus

Even adding 5-10C to the reviews for these cards should bring you far lower than what you're getting. My own Gainward typically stays around 67 degrees during gameplay, but on very, very rare occasions I've seen it go up to 75 degrees under extreme, long-lasting pressure. The only way I'd be able to push it above 80 would be by overclocking it to its limit, and my card comes overclocked out of the box.

Not really:

temp.png

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Palit/GeForce_GTX_1080_GameRock/29.html

70C + 5-10 = 75-80C which is pretty much what I'm getting.

No worries, it'll be a lot cooler here soon 8)

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
I dont get whats going on. I just bought a Asus GTX 1080 Strix (not the OC version) and am getting worse performance than i should be getting. Sometimes a full 10 fps lower than other benchmarks im seeing with the same games and settings.

Here is a perfect example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QTVCrRfxMPM

This guy has basically the exact same gaming setup as me. Same gpu, 16gb of 2.4ghz ram, only he has i5 4690k at 4.5 while i have a i5 3570k at 4.2ghz. But that shouldnt make much difference, especially not in Witcher 3 which rarely taxes the cpu above 70%. Im running around in the same spots as him and trying the same things with his exact settings, im consistently 5-10 fps behind. Same with many other benchmarks. And yes, i know about hairworks and have it on only if the other benchmarks do.

my rig: Asrock z77 Extreme4-M, i5 3570k, corsair vengeance pro cl11 2.4ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Strix Gaming

I dont get whats going on. I just bought a Asus GTX 1080 Strix (not the OC version) and am getting worse performance than i should be getting. Sometimes a full 10 fps lower than other benchmarks im seeing with the same games and settings.

This guy has basically the exact same gaming setup as me. Same gpu, 16gb of 2.4ghz ram, only he has i5 4690k at 4.5 while i have a i5 3570k at 4.2ghz. But that shouldnt make much difference, especially not in Witcher 3 which rarely taxes the cpu above 70%. Im running around in the same spots as him and trying the same things with his exact settings, im consistently 5-10 fps behind. Same with many other benchmarks. And yes, i know about hairworks and have it on only if the other benchmarks do.

my rig: Asrock z77 Extreme4-M, i5 3570k, corsair vengeance pro cl11 2.4ghz, Asus GeForce GTX 1080 Strix Gaming

hes running at 2 ghz which is pretty close to the maximum possible oc on an avg 1080 sample. if youre running stock clocks you will not be boosting that high

Stevey

What speed is your GPU running at?
What speed is his GPU running at?

BeauRoger

Unconfirmed Member
hes running at 2 ghz which is pretty close to the maximum possible oc on an avg 1080 sample. if youre running stock clocks you will not be boosting that high

What speed is your GPU running at?
What speed is his GPU running at?

Ah, yeah, in this case it seems to be it, he didnt specify in the vid that he overclocked the gpu. Im running at stock speed. Im still getting lower fps than a few other benchmark tests, but perhaps Im gonna try my hand at overclocking.

Top Bottom