• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 reviews and benchmarks

Scum

I want to replace my 780GTX. I've been eyeing up the GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X RGB by MSI. I just have to pull the trigger, right lads...

...right?

Renekton

I want to replace my 780GTX. I've been eyeing up the GeForce GTX 1080 Gaming X RGB by MSI. I just have to pull the trigger, right lads...

...right?
giphy.gif

low-G

For several months I've been considering upgrading from a 970, which I just bought last year, to a 1080. I've never spent more than $450 on a video card.

How insane would I be to get a 1080? Also I only play at 1080p.

No VR yet, but I wouldn't dismiss completely the idea of getting a Vive next year.

Newboi

Ran a Benchmark test on the Vulkan API with Doom in 4K

It did well all things considered. Overclocked to 2164Mhz stable with a 500Mhz boost on the memory

Link: https://youtu.be/-asUn94JgOg

VwxOW0Jl.jpg

Awesome. Be careful though before claiming your overclock as completely stable. I ran multiple run throughs of the TimeSpy benchmark and stress test, Unigine Heaven, and Doom. All ran great at about the same overclocks as you. But when I tried running the Firestrike Ultra benchmark and stress test, I would get CTDs pretty soon in to the runs.

The same thing happened with other games as well. Some games ran well with no issues on a large overclock, while others would either have graphical issues or quickly CTD. Mirrors Edge Catalyst seems to be really sensitive to memory overclocks. Witcher 3 seems to be sensitive to core overclocks as far as I've tested.

So far I've had to dial back my core over clock to +85 Mhz offset and my memory to +200. Yours may indeed be higher, but that range was what I need to have stability in absolutely everything.

Edit: Anyone with the EVGA GTX1080 FTW find it better to run the card under the slave/secondary bios? I've heard that the secondary bios has a more aggressive fan curve and a higher power target and temp limit (I believe 130% instead of 120%)..

Durante

For several months I've been considering upgrading from a 970, which I just bought last year, to a 1080. I've never spent more than $450 on a video card.

No VR yet, but I wouldn't dismiss completely the idea of getting a Vive next year.
Well, I had never bought a graphics card for more than €400 or so before, and I was on a 970, and I upgraded to a 1080. And I'm very happy with that decision.

(I use a 1440p monitor and have a Vive though)

Stevey

I only play at 1080p on my 1080, but at 144hz.
I upgraded from a 780, which I bought in 2014.
It's a massive leap forward.

Dave_6

Kinda in the same dilemma; I currently have a 970 that I got in September '14. Rest of my PC consists of a 3570K@4.4 and 8 GB of RAM that I built in early 2013. I have a 1080p 144hz monitor but I've been wanting to upgrade to one of the 21:9 1440p displays so I've had thoughts of getting a 1080 here very soon. On the other hand, my CPU has become a bottleneck on a couple of newer titles as of late so I thought about holding off on the 1080 and upgrading everything else for now. I'm torn on what to do.

DoomGaze

Banned
Would a rig with a Devil's Canyon i5 do well from this card? Or would it just be a bottleneck?

Advice, please! Got a 980 but might go for this if it will improve my rig. Thanks!

Rival

Gold Member

I upgraded to a 1080 from a 970 sli setup and couldn't be happier. Is your 1080p monitor a 144hz? I say do it and upgrade to 1440p also as that's what I am running.

chinoXL

Ran a Benchmark test on the Vulkan API with Doom in 4K

It did well all things considered. Overclocked to 2164Mhz stable with a 500Mhz boost on the memory

Link: https://youtu.be/-asUn94JgOg

VwxOW0Jl.jpg

i think our cards really benefit most at 1080p and at 2560x1440p with Vulkan(from what i've seen). i ran both at 3440x1440 fully maxed and both hit 100fps pretty constantly. stupid Firestrike wont run with a mild overclock or my aggressive one. only at stock will it complete. witcher 3 and Doom so far are eating up the overclock, damn i love this card

i think our cards really benefit most at 1080p and at 2560x1440p with Vulkan(from what i've seen). i ran both at 3440x1440 fully maxed and both hit 100fps pretty constantly. stupid Firestrike wont run with a mild overclock or my aggressive one. only at stock will it complete. witcher 3 and Doom so far are eating up the overclock, damn i love this card

Revisit that overclock. You need some stability updates, PS4-style.

If you can't complete a Fire Strike run you are nowhere near stable.

These days I don't call my OC stable until it completes Fire Strike Stress Test and Time Spy Stress Test. Not even FFXIV Heavensward Benchmark can crash an almost-stable OC the way those can.

Marmelade

These days I don't call my OC stable until it completes Fire Strike Stress Test and Time Spy Stress Test. Not even FFXIV Heavensward Benchmark can crash an almost-stable OC the way those can.

I wouldn't even say that a Fire Strike StressTest is a good way of testing an overclock.

I just did an Extreme Stress test and it went just fine, all loops completed and no artitfacts.

I play Dark Souls 3 for 10 min with that same overclock @3800x2400 and I can see artifacts.

No crash and it's not like it was artifacting all the time (some red/white dots from time to time) but it proves that the OC wasn't rock stable.

The problem with using benchmarks like Firestrike to test an overclock is that the demand on the gpu stays very consistent. It's great for seeing how high a card will boost and how much heat it produces, but the demand on gpu in games is a lot more variable.

Use FireStrike (or Valley because it's less "XTREME GAMER!") to test your cooling or to compare your benchmark results with others. Test your stability by playing a variety of recent games.

Newboi

I tried asking this before, but maybe it got missed:

Anyone with the EVGA GTX1080 FTW or Classified find it better to run the card under the slave/secondary bios? I've heard that the secondary bios has a more aggressive fan curve and a higher power target and temp limit (I believe 130% instead of 120%).

I tried asking this before, but maybe it got missed:

Anyone with the EVGA GTX1080 FTW or Classified find it better to run the card under the slave/secondary bios? I've heard that the secondary bios has a more aggressive fan curve and a higher power target and temp limit (I believe 130% instead of 120%).

You can just modify fan curve and power limit in msi afterburner or evga pricision x

Mifec

So my 780ti died this Thursday(up until 2h ago I thought it was my PSU), the place I bought it at doesn't have any in stock and they only stock 1080s at the same price point I bought my 780ti at. By law and company policy they have to replace it with a nVidia GPU at the same price.

So after all my warranty shit clears looks like I'm getting a 1080 for free. Feels good friends. Will post pics of whatever model they send me.

Newboi

You can just modify fan curve and power limit in msi afterburner or evga pricision x

I know that. I've already been doing that. I just wanted to how if there was a benefit to using the slave bios as I've heard it has a higher power abs temp limit, and has a more aggressive fan curve.

Ianan

Finally after having my 1080 on order with Amazon for 2 months, it is arriving tomorrow!
Upgrading from a 670 so I can't wait to pump all my shit up to ultra.

I've got a 3770k and 16gb's RAM, think I'll be good on the CPU front for a while?

Newboi

Finally after having my 1080 on order with Amazon for 2 months, it is arriving tomorrow!
Upgrading from a 670 so I can't wait to pump all my shit up to ultra.

I've got a 3770k and 16gb's RAM, think I'll be good on the CPU front for a while?

I'm rocking a 3770K and 16GB of RAM. It's doing absolutely fine in every game so far paired with the GTX 1080 (mines overclocked to 4.4 Ghz though). The only possible issue I see is with maximum framerates. If you're running at 144Hz monitor at 1080p or 1440p, you might have a harder time hitting the absolute maximum framerates the card is capable of in certain scenarios (I haven't found them yet though).

I'm only thinking about upgrading my CPU for more cores and higher single threaded performance than my overclocked 3770K. Zen and Skylake-E next year look to fit that bill, so I'll be looking out for those when thinking about a possible upgrade.

Bravoexo

Just finished benching my two Asus ROG Strix GTX-1080-A8G-Gaming cards

29199978382_83f6d62437_n.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9yqJhSsxwyU

Still running an i7-3770K @4.5ghz and 16GB of RAM too, Saw the same things, not much OC headroom, Firestrike limits my PC to just +107, when in Timespy I can go to +125. Also had to up the VCore of my CPU to 1.3V from 1.285V just to keep the 4.5Ghz stable when rendering in Premiere

Raybunny

...right?

I got the GTX 780 TI I know it is a little beefier than the normal GTX 780 but still not going for it.

Curious, for the upcoming HBM2 card for next year, do you think it will be the same price as the current 1080 or do you think it will be a bit more?

Should I go with 1080 EVGA FTW or 1080 MSI Gaming X? :eek:

Or should I ask: are people happy with these editions? Any input?

First question would be how much room do you have in your case? The FTW is about a half inch shorter and I imagine not as wide as the MSI card and if NewEgg's specs are right, the FTW has a slightly higher clock (along with having dual bios) without the ridiculous software "modes". Which is cheaper and by how much? I'd go with the FTW version if it's the same or close, at the very least there's EVGA's customer service.

squared

Got myself the Palit 1080 Super Jetstream two weeks ago, and gotta say I'm very, very happy with it. My first Palit product too.

In stock form, when benching, the card is damn near quiet, can't hear it unless I put my head next to the case. And it tops out at ~69C with a very low fan speed.

Then I dabbled with some overclocking, mostly rough adjustments, nothing precise :p At +167 on core, and +200-something on memory, I got 3058p in Unigine Heaven (1080p fullscreen, Ultra/Extreme/8xAA). What I also did was adjust the fan curve, though even more roughly than the clocks, which resulted in fan speed at 63% max, and temps at 56C, when benching. Creeped up one degree or two when for example playing Mankind Divided for a couple of hours.

Still, very low noise at that fan speed, I'm impressed!

Moz

I just installed my new 1080 (strix OC) to replace 2x 970s. I was a bit unsure if it was a worthy upgrade but holy shit this thing is epic. No more sli troubles is a nice thought.

Shari

Well, I had never bought a graphics card for more than €400 or so before, and I was on a 970, and I upgraded to a 1080. And I'm very happy with that decision.

(I use a 1440p monitor and have a Vive though)

My exact same scenario. Went from a 970 to a 1080 and I had a Gsync 144hz 1440p monitor since back in january.

This feels more like a card suited for 1440p.

Vitor711

Still tempted to upgrade from a 980 but not sure I can justify it. Have an i5-4690k and 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

For 1440p, should I focus on upgrading my other (cheaper) components or actually make the jump? I haven't OC'd my CPU yet and did just replace the thermal paste/buy a custom cooler. Maybe that would help with performance?

First question would be how much room do you have in your case? The FTW is about a half inch shorter and I imagine not as wide as the MSI card and if NewEgg's specs are right, the FTW has a slightly higher clock (along with having dual bios) without the ridiculous software "modes". Which is cheaper and by how much? I'd go with the FTW version if it's the same or close, at the very least there's EVGA's customer service.

I can't imagine length being an issue; my NZXT 440 is currently rocking a Gigabyte G1 970, which is ~300mm/11.8 inches.

I'm pretty sure the MSI has slightly higher clock actually. According to their respective sites, the FTW ACX 3.0 has 1721/1860 (OC clock), while Gaming X has 1771/1911 (OC clock).

Dual Bios is nice, but I'm not sure if there's any real need for it?

FTW is ~$20 cheaper here, but it's not in stock. I've ordered a MSI, but I could cancel it anytime if I'd need to.

Never had to deal with GPU support, but good customer service is always nice, of course, but if it's broken or something I'm always dealing with my retailer directly.

dr_rus

Still tempted to upgrade from a 980 but not sure I can justify it. Have an i5-4690k and 16GB of DDR3 RAM.

For 1440p, should I focus on upgrading my other (cheaper) components or actually make the jump? I haven't OC'd my CPU yet and did just replace the thermal paste/buy a custom cooler. Maybe that would help with performance?

You're mostly GPU limited in 2560x1440 so upgrading the GPU is the only way of getting more performance.

Definitely overclock yer cpu.

I can't imagine length being an issue; my NZXT 440 is currently rocking a Gigabyte G1 970, which is ~300mm/11.8 inches.

I'm pretty sure the MSI has slightly higher clock actually. According to their respective sites, the FTW ACX 3.0 has 1721/1860 (OC clock), while Gaming X has 1771/1911 (OC clock).

Dual Bios is nice, but I'm not sure if there's any real need for it?

FTW is ~$20 cheaper here, but it's not in stock. I've ordered a MSI, but I could cancel it anytime if I'd need to.

Never had to deal with GPU support, but good customer service is always nice, of course, but if it's broken or something I'm always dealing with my retailer directly.

Is this the wrong card? https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-8G.html

Eh, dual bios are only primarily useful for modding if you're not going to do that it's not really needed, I set my 970 SSC to the secondary ones just for fan to run, even at a low RPM, all the time without using software. I wish I had that much room in my case, that's a long ass 970.

Is this the wrong card? https://us.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1080-GAMING-X-8G.html

Eh, dual bios are only primarily useful for modding if you're not going to do that it's not really needed, I set my 970 SSC to the secondary ones just for fan to run, even at a low RPM, all the time without using software. I wish I had that much room in my case, that's a long ass 970.

Yeah, it looks like my local site could be wrong. It says 1911 MHz/1771 MHz, but after some digging it seems to be the specs of the Gaming Z version.

1847 - 1860 is not too much of a difference though!

...but naturally, EVGA is in stock again all of a sudden. My MSI should arrive later today though - is it worth sending it back in favor of the EVGA?

I mean, higher clocks, 2 BIOS, the customer service ...

edit: I guess it's not really necessary. MSI seem like a great card either way!

Newboi

Does anyone else have the issue where their DSR resolutions are reported at 59Hz instead of 60Hz?

I've noticed in games that, when downsampling, the reported refresh rate changes to 59hz. I decided to look into my nvidia control panel to see if I could manually force the enabled DSR resolutions to 60hz, but I have no other options available for refresh rate other than 59hz. Is this supposed to be this way? Also, I have three different versions of every DSR resolution with each having a different refresh rate. Is there a way to correct this as well?

Does anyone else have the issue where their DSR resolutions are reported at 59Hz instead of 60Hz?

I've noticed in games that, when downsampling, the reported refresh rate changes to 59hz. I decided to look into my nvidia control panel to see if I could manually force the enabled DSR resolutions to 60hz, but I have no other options available for refresh rate other than 59hz. Is this supposed to be this way? Also, I have three different versions of every DSR resolution with each having a different refresh rate. Is there a way to correct this as well?

Do you notice any difference at all from 59 to 60 hz.

chinoXL

it smashes TimeSpy and Witcher 3, Doom all take the OC without issue. i've run the stress test and everything is all good. i'm just ignoring Firestrike for now

dr_rus

59 and 60 is the same 59.94Hz refresh rate - unless you're using a TV for an output where it may actually be different but you're still looking at a difference of 0.005 Hz probably.

The three resolutions thing is a game (UI) issue and is completely dependent on what your display report to the driver. Some games are mixing same resolutions with different refresh rates into one resolutions list.

That's how Windows addresses frequency. E.g. 24p = 23.976Hz = 23Hz in Windows.

Same goes for 60Hz ≈ 59.94Hz = 59Hz in Windows.

The difference is slight. You shouldn't have to worry, but if you're experiencing stuttering of some kind, try and see if it's the same in other games (with 59.94Hz).

TheTrain

Anyone with an MSI Gaming X? If so, are you using a custom fan profile with Afterburner?
I see that at 74° the fan is only at ~ 50% of the maximum capacity, it seems low. Not that I have overheating issue or something like that, but if the temp stays on the 70° I can squeeze 50MHz more on the core without overclocking the card (~1920MHz)

Stubo

Anyone with an MSI Gaming X? If so, are you using a custom fan profile with Afterburner?
I see that at 74° the fan is only at ~ 50% of the maximum capacity, it seems low. Not that I have overheating issue or something like that, but if the temp stays on the 70° I can squeeze 50MHz more on the core without overclocking the card (~1920MHz)
Try 50% at 60 degrees, raising 1% every degree (60% at 70°, 70% at 80° etc)

This coupled with a +75 offset should see you landing at just under 2000MHz in game.

Top Bottom